My thoughts on 1.06 physics change

• Thread starter JayRS200
  • 67 comments

JayRS200

(Banned)
Finland
Finland
Warning, might be slightly ranty.

I downloaded the update 2 days after my online friends who I was sadly usually quite a bit faster than before the update. I say sadly because it's no fun finishing quite far in front and watching them unable to be consistent and crashing a lot. In GT6 some of them that weren't too fast in road cars were fast in GT500 cars (shout out Lucky and Nitro) so I'm surprised that speed didn't transfer to GTS.

So I have a go and some of them are faster than me now. I've driven 10,000 odd miles from the betas and GTS now they decide to backtrack on the physics. 1 guy was finding it hard and rage quitting pre 1.06 and now he's winning races. Nitro who I mentioned earlier is now much faster. It's definitely similar to GT6 now. I personally I wanted it to be like GT6 from the start but since it wasn't, I put a lot miles in thinking this is the way it would be for a long time, with maybe a slight change now and again.

Gr4 BoP RH at nurb feels like the grip of an F1 car now. I mean can a GT4 car really go around Schwedenkreuz at over 160mph? That's what I'm getting after 1.06.

Pre 1.06 I was getting close to sub 9 with a 9.02.0xx in my lambo and one of my faster friends (shout out to Boom) was saying first one to sub 9 is on, which gave us something to do since the rest of the game is broken and/or cold and empty.

No doubt it won't take me long to adjust, but... just... why? I'm actually not motivated to play the game much anymore and this type of nonsense doesn't help. Wouldn't it be better that gamers get on top of tricky handling cars rather than just make the physics easier? Were they getting feedback like in Dirt Rally people were complaining it was too hard?

So you're no longer motivated to play the game because other people are now faster than you? The changes are the same for everyone. You may need to find new lines and braking points to account for the changes. Chances are that the new physics suit the driving style of your friends more than yours. Just a case of adjusting.

In my opinion I think PD doesnt care if a race is too difficult for some people. Remember the endurance races in GT3 n 4....sheesh. Id like to believe they changed it for the better? I think PD no matter what takes realism as no.1 priority so maybe the previous handling wasnt as good. I mean i remember god forbid you press throttle on the checkered line, say goodbye to your back end. In reality you see many cars go regularry over the red n white strip.

I drive a lot of GR4 because my league is using that class for the first season, and specifically I drive the RWD Corvette C7 with Racing Soft tyres... so...

I drive with a high qual wheel and I'm generally pretty smooth, both with steering input and brake/throttle application, but pre 1.06 felt way to boom or bust for me, especially with RWD cars. Drop half a loaded rear tyre on the grass and you were going around, no matter what. If you slightly unloaded the suspension (bump, undulation etc) and the car lost grip far far too quickly (imho).

Post 1.06 I found it a much more consistent feeling, but not at all on rails, particularly with tyre wear on. So far I like it, the cars feel more connected to the tarmac and when I lose control it's because I have done something wrong, not just the game deciding if.lateralG>2.and(wheel=on.grass)then.traction=0.

I also won my first league race after 1.06, so I'm probably biased ;)

Well, GT4's make under 8m40s on VLN championship, so not so nonsense under 9 minutes laps on a Gr.4 (considering on VLN they use a shorter version of Mercedes Arena)

But agree they didn't need to mess with the race tire physics, just improve a little (not a lot, as they did) on road tires.

So you're no longer motivated to play the game because other people are now faster than you? The changes are the same for everyone. You may need to find new lines and braking points to account for the changes. Chances are that the new physics suit the driving style of your friends more than yours. Just a case of adjusting.

I already said that so no need to be obtuse.

Well, GT4's make under 8m40s on VLN championship, so not so nonsense under 9 minutes laps on a Gr.4 (considering on VLN they use a shorter version of Mercedes Arena)

But agree they didn't need to mess with the race tire physics, just improve a little (not a lot, as they did) on road tires.

Wonder what tyres they use in VLN and if the BoP is the same as GTS.

Fastest GTS time I saw was 8.52 at nur24h track. I think I know the layout VLN use and that it was in GT6, can't remember the difference in times though but I think it was more than 12 seconds, maybe near a minute?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It is.

It's so infuriating listening to a bunch of people complain about a change that actually made GT Sport significantly more realistic and fun to play.

From what I've played around with, it seems like computer assisted powersliding around corners is a thing again just like in GT5&6.

It was really difficult to drive on the absolute edge of grip pre-patch, that's why I think there is a happy medium right in between.

I like it better now, people are still making plenty of mistakes and I haven't looked to see if I am faster now or not. Tires feel much better and feedback feels better. Car can put power down better at higher speeds but you can't take corners any faster than usual.
From what I've played around with, it seems like computer assisted powersliding around corners is a thing again just like in GT5&6.

It was really difficult to drive on the absolute edge of grip pre-patch, that's why I think there is a happy medium right in between.

You must be exaggerating, you can't power slide around a corner. Pushing a car still is risky, saw many people spin out in the race I just took part in or fly off the track. It feels more realistic now and you can correct oversteer better post-patch although can still easily spin out.

I like it better now, people are still making plenty of mistakes and I haven't looked to see if I am faster now or not. Tires feel much better and feedback feels better. Car can put power down better at higher speeds but you can't take corners any faster than usual.

You must be exaggerating, you can't power slide around a corner. Pushing a car still is risky, saw many people spin out in the race I just took part in or fly off the track. It feels more realistic now and you can correct oversteer better post-patch although can still easily spin out.

I can see how the new physics are better for a casual racer. But for those who are really serious about setting lap times, trust me it makes a difference when you have reached the limits of the car and corner. Have you watched the seasonal event world records from GT6? If you have you'll know what I am referring to.

I love GT but to be the fastest (in the previous ones), there were many mechanics that you could abuse.

First it is a game, it changed, we will adapt.

Second, it is a simulation, it will never be perfect. The best would be to have an unbiased (not GT Academy) racer who drives her car pre and post 1.06 and states which one she feels is closer behaviour.

Really to be ignored, my opinion. Before 1.06 I was spinning out with TCS on 3 at 30km/h, after 1.06 when loosing control, regaining it still seems crazy difficult. GT has some characteristics in understeer, one wheel on grass, ABS on 0, throttle response while turning... which always seemed unreal to me, it does not change what it does give in simulation pleasure.

In the 2017 24 hours qualifying, an Audi R8 GT4 did a 8:51. Now, granted, that car wasn’t homologised yet, so let’s look at the best actual GT4-class car, which was a Cayman with a 9:09.

If you deduct a driver’s survival instinct, which people can forget about in game, a sub-9 min. time seems reasonably possible.

Its just more easy for the noobs, because tcs is improved and other aids i think aswell. No problem with that. I dont use it anyway.. But in sport mode thej need to do all aids off only abs on thats way more fair. Now you are trying to avoid wheel spin when in corners, then some noob comes by with tcs on 3 or more thinking hes king of the track, and thats way so many crashes happens. I bet if tsc is off without the noob nows it will be such a laugh race.

Its just more easy for the noobs, because tcs is improved and other aids i think aswell. No problem with that. I dont use it anyway.. But in sport mode thej need to do all aids off only abs on thats way more fair. Now you are trying to avoid wheel spin when in corners, then some noob comes by with tcs on 3 or more thinking hes king of the track, and thats way so many crashes happens. I bet if tsc is off without the noob nows it will be such a laugh race.

How about no aids at all in Sports mode?No TC,no ABS no nothing.Anyone who use real life aids is a "noob".
Lets see how people would not only accelatete (no TC) but also going to hit their brakes without locking up.I bet alot of noobs using ABS cannot do that and make the corners the way they do now.

Last edited:
GT3 cars use traction control in real life why should it be banned from Online lobby ?

TCS is only slowing you off anyway it shouldnt be a problem overtaking someone using tcs. The problem is drivers raming people off the road to gain a spot and that will happen with very slow, very fast, very good or very bad drivers, it's a mentality problem it's not a problem that comes with skill sadly.

I've tried all sort of league of racing and as long as there's not an autorithy to enforce penalties and force people to behave, some will just act like jackass regardless of how skill they are behind a wheel.

GT3 cars use traction control in real life why should it be banned from Online lobby ?

TCS is only slowing you off anyway it shouldnt be a problem overtaking someone using tcs. The problem is drivers raming people off the road to gain a spot and that will happen with very slow, very fast, very good or very bad drivers, it's a mentality problem it's not a problem that comes with skill sadly.

I've tried all sort of league of racing and as long as there's not an autorithy to enforce penalties and force people to behave, some will just act like jackass regardless of how skill they are behind a wheel.

Real life GT3 drivers are actually noobs mate compared to GTE or F1 drivers ;)

Personally I felt before the patch it was unrealistically difficult at low speeds. Dunno if that was down to torque delivery or tyre physics or both. But cars don't spin up their rear wheels in 3rd gear at 5mph with a slight touch of the throttle. In that regard it is much more realistic now.
I've never driven a race car before but I have owned and driven powerful road cars (had a 400bhp Impreza STi and 300bhp Lexus is300) and they were nowhere near as difficult to drive, with normal road tyres, as cars in GTsport with less power and sports tyres.
And the Scooby didn't have TCS or abs btw.

How about no aids at all in Sports mode?No TC,no ABS no nothing.Anyone who use real life aids is a "noob".
Lets see how people would not only accelatete (no TC) but also going to hit their brakes without locking up.I bet alot of noobs using ABS cannot do that and make the corners the way they do now.
Yeah i have no problem with no abs aswell, its just street cars have abs.

I preferred the pre-patch physics. You had to be smooth and controlled to run quick.
I am quicker (like most) with the new physics, but, goodness, some of the things I've "gotten away with" are not "right". The cars are much too forgiving.
The throttle actuation is the largest issue, and remains so... make throttle control linear please.
Currently as you push the throttle down its - no response, no response, minimal response, minimal response - FULL ON!
Please PD, fix that.
Anyone else notice that front tire wear is now more prominent?
All through GT4/5/6 I would wear tires pretty darn even... and in the pre-patch as well... now, my fronts wear faster than my rears... and, I've not changed my driving style at all.
I could alter this if they would let us manage the diff... but, that's a no go too...

Yeah maybe thej have a sort of tcs but your not gonne tell me if thej hit the gas in real life gt3 cars the wheel dont spin.. Tcs in real life is nothing like it is in games, anyway its kinda cheating, damn i love the 80s 90s f1 that was racing now its almost racing on a train rail thats it.

Seriously... what do you think on-line racing will be like if you take ABS and TC away?

A complete crash fast with even more whining threads :rolleyes:

Yeah maybe thej have a sort of tcs but your not gonne tell me if thej hit the gas in real life gt3 cars the wheel dont spin.. Tcs in real life is nothing like it is in games, anyway its kinda cheating, damn i love the 80s 90s f1 that was racing now its almost racing on a train rail thats it.

TC in real life is different that TC in GTS the same way ABS is too.GTS is not that "close to reality" and "everybody can race and have fun" so dont expect too much from it.

No problem with it but then thej need a sepparate room for it not mixing racers with no aids vs al aids

If they do that then also seperate wheel from pad users too.I can agree to these happening.So we need 4-5 sport modes and not just one.

Seriously... what do you think on-line racing will be like if you take ABS and TC away?

A complete crash fast with even more whining threads :rolleyes:

Pretty much I was addressing a post that had the logic:
"TC is for noobs but ABS is fine".
Online racing could actually be better without any TC/ABS because 80% of the people would not be able to accelarate into the first straight.Put heavy damage on at the same time and then:
16 people enter,6 make the 1rst corner,all others quit. :P

Pretty much I was addressing a post that had the logic:
"TC is for noobs but ABS is fine".
Online racing could actually be better without any TC/ABS because 80% of the people would not be able to accelarate into the first straight.Put heavy damage on at the same time and then:
16 people enter,6 make the 1rst corner,all others quit. :P

Yep :lol:

And the game has no players after a week or 2.

In reality, grp 4 and below cars are easily drivable without TC - you can pretty much hammer the throttle on corner exits after 1.06 with little fear of losing traction.

But the way the braking is implemented in GT makes no ABS incredibly difficult... even slick shod cars will lock up at 50% brake travel.

I've tried no ABS (I run with no other aids) and I just cannot do it... maybe with more practice... maybe with a better pedal set...
As it is, "weak" seems to work for me.
If sport went to no ABS, I would train myself to get better at it, with hopes of getting good.
I was not at all excited about "online racing"... but now that I've tried it, and gotten ok at it (drBsrA), I'm addicted, so, if ABS went away, I would learn to live with it to feed my addiction.
To be honest, I would like if they went to no assists for online.
I would also be ok if PD got rid of, or, fixed the cars that defy physics... you know the ones, they totally mess up a corner, get sideways to save it, have no exit speed, again get sideways on exit... but are somehow going down the inside at the end of the next straight, only to repeat...

Back