My thoughts on 1.06 physics change

• Thread starter JayRS200
  • 67 comments
I can see how the new physics are better for a casual racer. But for those who are really serious about setting lap times, trust me it makes a difference when you have reached the limits of the car and corner. Have you watched the seasonal event world records from GT6? If you have you'll know what I am referring to.

I love GT but to be the fastest (in the previous ones), there were many mechanics that you could abuse.

Lol, I'm no casual, if I had the time I would be taking part in the tournaments. Everything was improved in this patch and it isn't any easier.

People need to stop complaining, pre-patch sloppy driving was rewarded. Post-patch I am noticing sloppy drivers crash all over the place. The tires didn't feel right pre-patch either.

The TCS is still very buggy and potentially game-breaking with some cars, it's getting beyond annoying and it seems to have spread to some of the Gr.3 cars from the Gr.1 cars since v1.06.

Seriously? Did Polyphony outsource the TCS coding/engine to Peter Molyneux or Yogventures? The way the TCS kicks in and behaves it totally wrong.

Sometimes you will get a clean exit from a turn with satisfyingly perfect traction and the TCS will suddenly decide to kick in, violently borking the car sideways off towards the inside wall because it's application has caused the car to lose all the traction that the TCS supposed to be ensuring!

It does this on totally randomly occasions over apexes, bumps, on the exits of tight corners, on the exits of medium corners, in the middle of corners, on gearshifts, if you're unlucky it will start eating away at your speed during flatout turns and sometimes it just leaves you awkwardly having to coast the car around bends simply because you just don't trust it to not completely screw up your throttle application, it's ridiculous.

Another side effect of TCS I've noticed is that it sometimes will kick in when there's absolutely no wheelspin during a corner or on turn-in, causing the car to refuse to 'bite' and start to understeer wildly, do the following and you'll see what I mean:

Go to the Nordschliefe in the M6 GT3 car (it happens with quite a few cars but this is my given example) and take Hatzenbach as you normally would (usually with either a lift off the throttle or a dab of the break) five times, start of with TCS on 0 and go up a level each time, you'll notice how each time it will pick up hints of understeer that didn't exist before.

Why is this happening? Well the TCS appears to be coded to prevent the slip-angle of the car's tyres, which is essentially how tyres generate their grip through turns, for example; and F1 car would require a 4-6 degree slip angle to generate their grip. This is the only logical explanation I can think of as to why that understeer specifically occurs and ties on to what I suspect is wrong with the TCS in GT Sport:

It's not coded react to the wheelspin or loss of traction and to then apply the usual combination of measures to limit that loss of traction which are;
  • Subtle braking on one or more wheels.
  • Reducing ignition or fuel flow.
  • Reducing the throttle or boost pressure (if the car is turbocharged)
it's reacting to the car in general slipping in any way (including slip-angle) then simulating TCS by applying only a harsh braking force in the most stability jarring way possible, none of the other measures.

Also, because I know people will inevitably ask what's my background to speak on TCS: I've been a motorsport journalist and photographer since 2009, I've also raced occasionally in club races and got to dick about in GT4 and GT3 cars occasionally at tests / experience events, so I know how TCS is supposed to behave and in racecars it's usually never involving brakes, either that or it's very subtle to the point you do not notice. TCS in real-life works in a way which doesn't rob the car of it's slip-angle.

Unfortunately GT Sport's TCS seems to work in a way which does rob the car of it's slip-angle...

Is it possible that the stock LSD settings are playing into this. They seem really high to me.
The TCS is still very buggy and potentially game-breaking with some cars, it's getting beyond annoying and it seems to have spread to some of the Gr.3 cars from the Gr.1 cars since v1.06.

Seriously? Did Polyphony outsource the TCS coding/engine to Peter Molyneux or Yogventures? The way the TCS kicks in and behaves it totally wrong.

Sometimes you will get a clean exit from a turn with satisfyingly perfect traction and the TCS will suddenly decide to kick in, violently borking the car sideways off towards the inside wall because it's application has caused the car to lose all the traction that the TCS supposed to be ensuring!

It does this on totally randomly occasions over apexes, bumps, on the exits of tight corners, on the exits of medium corners, in the middle of corners, on gearshifts, if you're unlucky it will start eating away at your speed during flatout turns and sometimes it just leaves you awkwardly having to coast the car around bends simply because you just don't trust it to not completely screw up your throttle application, it's ridiculous.

Another side effect of TCS I've noticed is that it sometimes will kick in when there's absolutely no wheelspin during a corner or on turn-in, causing the car to refuse to 'bite' and start to understeer wildly, do the following and you'll see what I mean:

Go to the Nordschliefe in the M6 GT3 car (it happens with quite a few cars but this is my given example) and take Hatzenbach as you normally would (usually with either a lift off the throttle or a dab of the break) five times, start of with TCS on 0 and go up a level each time, you'll notice how each time it will pick up hints of understeer that didn't exist before.

Why is this happening? Well the TCS appears to be coded to prevent the slip-angle of the car's tyres, which is essentially how tyres generate their grip through turns, for example; and F1 car would require a 4-6 degree slip angle to generate their grip. This is the only logical explanation I can think of as to why that understeer specifically occurs and ties on to what I suspect is wrong with the TCS in GT Sport:

It's not coded react to the wheelspin or loss of traction and to then apply the usual combination of measures to limit that loss of traction which are;
it's reacting to the car in general slipping in any way (including slip-angle) then simulating TCS by applying only a harsh braking force in the most stability jarring way possible, none of the other measures.

Also, because I know people will inevitably ask what's my background to speak on TCS: I've been a motorsport journalist and photographer since 2009, I've also raced occasionally in club races and got to dick about in GT4 and GT3 cars occasionally at tests / experience events, so I know how TCS is supposed to behave and in racecars it's usually never involving brakes, either that or it's very subtle to the point you do not notice. TCS in real-life works in a way which doesn't rob the car of it's slip-angle.

Unfortunately GT Sport's TCS seems to work in a way which does rob the car of it's slip-angle...

Perfect. That's exactly what I think. I'm having a lot of difficult after the update. TCS is trash right now. AMG gt3 is the obly car I've managed to keep my pace.

Perfect. That's exactly what I think. I'm having a lot of difficult after the update. TCS is trash right now. AMG gt3 is the obly car I've managed to keep my pace.

Cars which I've noticed have been affected by this issue the most:

BMW M6 & Z4
Mercedes AMG GT3
Porsche 911 RSR
Renault RS01
Ferrari 458 GT3
McLaren 650S
NSX GR3
WRX GR3
Viper GT3

But I've since noticed that they're faster without TCS.

K
funny you mention cones off, I like how late in a race after the cones have been knocked away "some" players really loose pace... I've gained a few positions by simply knowing the "physical" markers and being able to stay on pace...
Not saying I'm "all that", or, even fast really, just that knowing the track without such aides is an asset to have.

I'm sorry but having read that post the bad boy in me intends to wipe out every cone I see in the next race during very first lap then proceed to weave around all the impaired drivers. Especially the host!
:cheers:
A good point there..if i turn cones on for me are they the same as everyone else's. So if I destroy them will theres be bent and broken too? I've never had cones enabled but DO see them on the track sometimes. Why is this?

Yeah maybe thej have a sort of tcs but your not gonne tell me if thej hit the gas in real life gt3 cars the wheel dont spin.. Tcs in real life is nothing like it is in games, anyway its kinda cheating, damn i love the 80s 90s f1 that was racing now its almost racing on a train rail thats it.

No problem with it but then thej need a sepparate room for it not mixing racers with no aids vs al aids

I'm getting a mild headache trying to read your posts.

Back