My thoughts on GT Sport without PS Plus

• Thread starter gtfrick
  • 44 comments
Romania
Romania
(My PS4 wasn't connected to the internet since I got it and I bought it as a bundle with the physical version of the original GT Sport. I didn't realize this, and I played an unpatched version of the game, because I'm an idiot. Basically, this is an offline v1.00 GT Sport review.)

I'll admit that I have not played much GT Sport myself, even though I still do have a PS4. But to me, it almost feels like a spin-off. It's not anywhere close to being bad, but I just find it really odd as a Gran Turismo game.

I still am confused by the focus on online multiplayer and not the simulation mode for a main series GT game. Personally, I do not have a PS Plus subscription myself, so I can't judge how good the online play is (I'm sure it's great) - but without having that subscription, this game is really lacking. And I don't really think that releasing what is essentially a demo and progressively building it into a full polished game was a great decision. :indiff:

I haven't played GT5 or GT6 either, so I can't comment on those either. But they don't seem that bad as a single player game: GT6 in particular has 1237 cars, which is amazing (even though some of them seem to be ported from GT4, which is... questionable.) I have played GT4 though, and honestly, I think it's probably my favourite racing game ever made. ~800 cars is more than enough, and there is a lot to do in it, with the endurance races, the GT League, the manufacturer events, licenses (IA-15 can go screw itself though,) driving missions, the A-Spec and B-spec modes (I admit that I've only done B-Spec once,) all of the special stuff (FR challenge, FF challenge, RR challenge, E Big vroom car challenge, Small vroom car challenge, you get the idea...) The replayability is practically endless, as you'd keep coming back to perfect some things, get some new cars, try some new configurations, maybe just to redo some races...

But in GT Sport I could only find the arcade mode. This is fine since most of the time I only play 2-player mode on console, but the lack of a simulation mode made the game really monotonous. The car list isn't really that great though. When I got the game, there were only 168 cars, which is less than GT1 or GT3. There are 309 cars now, but that's still less than most of the other GT games. The lack of cars could have been a bit more forgivable had the original lineup not been so small.

I noticed the lack of weirder cars too. Most of the cars in GT Sport are high-end sports cars or straight up race cars. This is a bit of a nitpick, but one of the things I loved about GT4 was all of the weird and insane cars I could find, like the Nike One 2022, the Nissan EXA, the Tommykaira cars, the Nissan PAO, any Daihatsu, the Copen, the Isuzu cars, the Prius, the Volvos, the Toyota with gullwings (Sena? can't remember the name), the Subaru 360, Honda Beat, Autozam AZ-1, etc. Those are all cars I can recall off the top of my head. Admitedly, the Copen is still here, but GTS is really not what I expected from a main series game. It feels like GTPSP. Although it still retains the great simulation physics that GT is known for, it lacks one of the things that I feel really made the GT series great - the Simulation mode.

I don't think it's an absolute disaster though... the online mode could be great, since I've never played it, but I think it could only be as good as its players, and it could easily either feel like racing in a real tournament or playing Burnout. I think GT Sport could as well just have been an online-only game from the start and have gotten rid of any offline content (since it is already so lacking), but GT4 (probably GT5 or GT6 too) wouldn't feel the same if it had no simulation mode and focused on multiplayer. Again, I don't think GT Sport is anywhere close to bad, since I don't think any other racing game could even come close to just how great it feels to play, but it does feel a bit lackluster and kind of alien compared to the previous Gran Turismo games. Still fun though, just not as great as the other games. It reminds me of GT3, in a way.

I'm still looking forward to Gran Turismo though, and the direction GT Sport is going. I've heard that there is a Simulation mode now, but that it is online only. I don't know why that is, but it does mean GT Sport is probably going to turn into a more conventional GT game, but as of now, it still doesn't feel like a main GT game. I've just wanted to say my thoughts about GT Sport. I'll wait and probably give it another try, and get a PS Plus subscription someday to see if the multiplayer is fun. I wonder if PD is hiding their plans for a next GT game though... :boggled:

Last edited:
I just want to point out that GT Sport has a GT League mode (it was implemented in an update), but it's not nearly as rewarding as the older titles, since you can only win cash and experience points but yeah, it's a very different title compared to the mainline GTs; and the online plays a great role in the game but a lot of people online are simply that great to race against (but in my experience, it isn't as bad as some make it out to be).

I mean, GTSport was marketed as an online focused series so of course the game may seem lacking without playing the gameplay features that the game was specifically advertised to have, and yes, it is sort of a 'spin off'. It's a mainstream GT Game but isn't named Gran Turismo 7 properly.

But you can't review the game as a whole without playing the main feature of the game. You try and predict that it is good, while saying 'oh I don't think the game is an absolute disaster'

Like...yeah, review the rest of the game if you want but you specifically cannot review the game of GTSport without playing the main feature.

There are 309 cars now
You're about six updates behind.
But in GT Sport I could only find the arcade mode. This is fine since most of the time I only play 2-player mode on console, but the lack of a simulation mode made the game really monotonous.
There's GT League, which has the races against the AI, and all of the...
the special stuff (FR challenge, FF challenge, RR challenge, E Big vroom car challenge, Small vroom car challenge, you get the idea...)
... that you seem to be looking for.

Other than not having part modifications, which I personally don’t miss that much, GT Sport gradually more begins to feel like GT7 to me. It’s not like the campaigns of GT5 and GT6 were overly engaging in comparison to what GT Sport offers. GT Sport also brought new major elements like Circuit Experience.

I also think the emphasis on high quality car models only is for the better, and the selection is currently more focused than ever, and it’ll keep growing to fill the gaps. The track selection has also grown to become really sweet, especially in the real world circuit category. Already better than GT6 in my opinion. Franchise-staple original and city circuits would be nice to have, but the game doesn’t feel too empty without them.

The game felt dire at launch, but much as changed for the better. Looking forward to 2020!

Due to the way GT series started out, i personally think that charging players to be online on GTS wasn't thought through properly.

No wonder that most of us in some way don't think GTS is the real deal, but rather only a spin-off or a Prologue type of title...

Sony / PD should have made online racing accessible to everyone, just like we had in previous titles.

But reserve only the competition and FIA ranking sections as paid content (PSN Plus members accessible only).

Because as of now, people like myself and OP are left out.

I understand the focus of GTS is online racing, but not everyone is skilled enough to compete at FIA level.

We should be able to meet other driver/players online and allow us to race without affecting our drivers ranking...

LeMons type of racing. We should be able to race NOT seriously... Some of us just want to do that with others...

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to do a serious review on it, I was trying to review it as an offline game. Of course the main feature of the game is the online mode, but I reviewed it from that angle just to show how much different it is compared to the other GT games. The game is supposed to be played with PS Plus, which is why it is so strange without it. But still, even with only the Arcade mode, it's still a blast to play. None of the GT games are truly bad, and the worse ones (like GTPSP) are hit and miss at worst.

That being said though... I didn't know that the game has changed that much since I've last played it. I must have been losing track of time. It's very good to hear that it is still growing without taking quantity over quality. Looking forward to 2020 also!

Due to the way GT series started out, i personally think that charging players to be online on GTS wasn't thought through properly.

No wonder that most of us in some way don't think GTS is the real deal, but rather only a spin-off or a Prologue type of title...

Sony / PD should have made online racing accessible to everyone, just like we had in previous titles.

But reserve only the competition and FIA ranking sections as paid content (PSN Plus members accessible only).

Because as of now, people like myself and OP are left out.

I understand the focus of GTS is online racing, but not everyone is skilled enough to compete at FIA level.

We should be able to meet other driver/players online and allow us to race without affecting our drivers ranking...

LeMons type of racing. We should be able to race NOT seriously... Some of us just want to do that with others...
I'm not sure how any of that is PD's issue.

JMHO...

Having just come back to GT after almost a 10 year hiatus I have found the game to be very engaging and I'm not currently paying for PS online access. I'm just playing the GT League and I like it a lot, the game has come a long way. the only compliant I had was that when I installed the game something went wrong with the first update and I had no garage. The second update ran and fixed that, so far the game is what I expected.

Again, I'm not sure how any of that is PD's issue. It's Sony's Business model, spanning across online gaming in general, not just Gran Turismo Sport.

That (as much as i would love it) dosen't make sense as you need PS plus for multiplayer in every game thats 100% a Sony issue.

Playing online was free on GT6, I didn't have to pay anything...

I'll admit that I have not played much GT Sport myself, even though I still do have a PS4. But to me, it almost feels like a spin-off. It's not anywhere close to being bad, but I just find it really odd as a Gran Turismo game.

I still am confused by the focus on online multiplayer and not the simulation mode for a main series GT game. Personally, I do not have a PS Plus subscription myself, so I can't judge how good the online play is (I'm sure it's great) - but without having that subscription, this game is really lacking. And I don't really think that releasing what is essentially a demo and progressively building it into a full polished game was a great decision. :indiff:

I haven't played GT5 or GT6 either, so I can't comment on those either. But they don't seem that bad as a single player game: GT6 in particular has 1237 cars, which is amazing (even though some of them seem to be ported from GT4, which is... questionable.) I have played GT4 though, and honestly, I think it's probably my favourite racing game ever made. ~800 cars is more than enough, and there is a lot to do in it, with the endurance races, the GT League, the manufacturer events, licenses (IA-15 can go screw itself though,) driving missions, the A-Spec and B-spec modes (I admit that I've only done B-Spec once,) all of the special stuff (FR challenge, FF challenge, RR challenge, E Big vroom car challenge, Small vroom car challenge, you get the idea...) The replayability is practically endless, as you'd keep coming back to perfect some things, get some new cars, try some new configurations, maybe just to redo some races...

But in GT Sport I could only find the arcade mode. This is fine since most of the time I only play 2-player mode on console, but the lack of a simulation mode made the game really monotonous. The car list isn't really that great though. When I got the game, there were only 168 cars, which is less than GT1 or GT3. There are 309 cars now, but that's still less than most of the other GT games. The lack of cars could have been a bit more forgivable had the original lineup not been so small.

I noticed the lack of weirder cars too. Most of the cars in GT Sport are high-end sports cars or straight up race cars. This is a bit of a nitpick, but one of the things I loved about GT4 was all of the weird and insane cars I could find, like the Nike One 2022, the Nissan EXA, the Tommykaira cars, the Nissan PAO, any Daihatsu, the Copen, the Isuzu cars, the Prius, the Volvos, the Toyota with gullwings (Sena? can't remember the name), the Subaru 360, Honda Beat, Autozam AZ-1, etc. Those are all cars I can recall off the top of my head. Admitedly, the Copen is still here, but GTS is really not what I expected from a main series game. It feels like GTPSP. Although it still retains the great simulation physics that GT is known for, it lacks one of the things that I feel really made the GT series great - the Simulation mode.

I don't think it's an absolute disaster though... the online mode could be great, since I've never played it, but I think it could only be as good as its players, and it could easily either feel like racing in a real tournament or playing Burnout. I think GT Sport could as well just have been an online-only game from the start and have gotten rid of any offline content (since it is already so lacking), but GT4 (probably GT5 or GT6 too) wouldn't feel the same if it had no simulation mode and focused on multiplayer. Again, I don't think GT Sport is anywhere close to bad, since I don't think any other racing game could even come close to just how great it feels to play, but it does feel a bit lackluster and kind of alien compared to the previous Gran Turismo games. Still fun though, just not as great as the other games. It reminds me of GT3, in a way.

I'm still looking forward to Gran Turismo though, and the direction GT Sport is going. I've heard that there is a Simulation mode now, but that it is online only. I don't know why that is, but it does mean GT Sport is probably going to turn into a more conventional GT game, but as of now, it still doesn't feel like a main GT game. I've just wanted to say my thoughts about GT Sport. I'll wait and probably give it another try, and get a PS Plus subscription someday to see if the multiplayer is fun. I wonder if PD is hiding their plans for a next GT game though... :boggled:
You've barely played this game. I don't think you've played enough to judge or compare to previous versions of GT.

Yeah and that's because that model didn't exist back then. You do realize this all got introduced with the launch of the PS4 right?

Of course I know that.

That's why I am wondering it didn't have to be all or nothing....

Kaz could decide to allow some of us to race online without the need for paying... As it was before... Improve on What was learned on PS3....

That's all

Of course I know that.

Kaz could decide to allow some of us to race online without the need for paying... As it was before... Improve on What was learned on PS3....

That's all
If you knew that than I fail to understand what you were getting at. No, Kaz can't decide that because it's not going to be his decision. It's this way because Sony, not PD.

You've barely played this game. I don't think you've played enough to judge or compare to previous versions of GT.
That is true, I shouldn't have jumped this quickly to review the game without playing more of it. Especially since I have not played it in quite a bit, and didn't realize just how much the game has evolved. I should try playing this game more and see how it is now, and see how's the GT League.

Of course I know that.

That's all
No, he couldn't. All full PS4 releases are required to lock online multiplayer behind PS Plus.

GT6 has literally nothing to do with it. It wasn't a PS4 title, wasn't required to lock online multiplayer behind PS Plus, and didn't. GT Sport is a (full) PS4 title, and is required to do so, and does. Kazunori Yamauchi has zero say in this.

But in GT Sport I could only find the arcade mode.
In GT League there are 46 categories. Each category has at least 5 races I think. Most of the cars in this game aren't high end either.

Of course I know that.

That's all
You cannot play multiplayer game on PS4 without PS Plus. Kaz can't do anything about that. Please understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you knew that than I fail to understand what you were getting at. No, Kaz can't decide that because it's not going to be his decision. It's this way because Sony, not PD.

No, he couldn't. All full PS4 releases are required to lock online multiplayer behind PS Plus.

GT6 has literally nothing to do with it. It wasn't a PS4 title, wasn't required to lock online multiplayer behind PS Plus, and didn't. GT Sport is a (full) PS4 title, and is required to do so, and does. Kazunori Yamauchi has zero say in this.

Thank you guys.

So the fault and guilt should rest on Sony.

My argument will rest here for this topic, and maybe others as well.

But in GT Sport I could only find the arcade mode. This is fine since most of the time I only play 2-player mode on console, but the lack of a simulation mode made the game really monotonous.
What do you see as the difference between arcade and simulation? The physics in arcade mode is exactly the same as the online physics, you can practice an FIA race using a custom race in the arcade menu, provided the tyre wear is 10x or lower, and you'll do the same race time as if you do it in an online lobby. (provided you remember to turn BoP on and reset all tuning settings to default)

What do you see as the difference between arcade and simulation? The physics in arcade mode is exactly the same as the online physics, you can practice an FIA race using a custom race in the arcade menu, provided the tyre wear is 10x or lower, and you'll do the same race time as if you do it in an online lobby. (provided you remember to turn BoP on and reset all tuning settings to default)
By Simulation, I meant the career mode. (I found that they introduced this as the GT League recently, I'm stupid...)

You can also do daily race qualifying online time trials without the subscription.
Not sure about the actual time trial mode as they bought out that feature after i got my 12 months but dont see why not too

Latest Posts

Back