NASCAR Driver Rage-Quits Esports Event, Loses Real World Sponsor

Again, missing the point...
Not really, I didn't read through all the thread. I've seen a few post here and other places saying he shouldn't have done it, unprofessional etc. It is what it is, he got mad and raged. People need to stop trying to control how people behave in every facet of life. If I watched this live I probably would have laughed or thought what a tit, then laughed and left it at that. Society is trying to dehumanise people. I hope this dude tells people to get a grip and do one.

control how people behave in every facet of life.
It's not every facet of life. It's his career. A very specific focus. I would hardly call that trying to control every facet of his life.

You seem to misunderstand the role of sponsor and sponsee in this situation. If you have a sponsor, you do what they tell you if you want to keep that sponsorship. This is sponsorship 101 and is not unique to motor sport. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

You seem to misunderstand the role of sponsor and sponsee in this situation. If you have a sponsor, you do what they tell you if you want to keep that sponsorship.

Unless it's Clyde Torkel's Chicken Pit :)

Last night I stumbled across the irace Sprint Car and Modified races on FS1 and Bubba was in both of them with Clint Bowyer doing commentary along with Jeff Gordon and Adam Alexander and they had a camera on Bubba and were able to talk to him. Bubba was struggling in both races and I think it was in the Modified race where he said something like "I never give up" and I think Bowyer said something like, "yeah that never happens" and I'm paraphrasing it because I don't remember what was actually said but it seemed everybody was light hearted about the whole thing.

It's not every facet of life. It's his career. A very specific focus. I would hardly call that trying to control every facet of his life.

You seem to misunderstand the role of sponsor and sponsee in this situation. If you have a sponsor, you do what they tell you if you want to keep that sponsorship. This is sponsorship 101 and is not unique to motor sport. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
Really? So what about Dale Earnhardt purposely wrecking people,"Moving them" back in the day? Did the sponsors on the car he wrecked go after him for lost revenue do to the fact they got no tv time? Give it a break already. I could show you a hundred wrecks done on purpose in all forms of motorsport.

"It was okay in the past so why is it an issue now?"

That's a great argument right there.
The whole angle against Bubba Watson on this thread is he's a baby because he quit a video game. Yet 5 days later you're just as mad, and are dismissing any sort of logic that doesn't antagonize him. But of course, that doesn't say anything about you right? :lol:

Seen as how you have all the answers, can you elaborate on what exactly his contractual obligations were in that race? Like how much was he getting paid for it? And what specifically in that contract did he breach? His team didn't discipline him, which would imply that this isn't nearly as big of a deal as you want it to be.

I'm not mad. I'm quite calm and collected and responding to a thread that interests me. I don't care enough about any of this to know those details though, sorry.

I'm not mad. I'm quite calm and collected and responding to a thread that interests me.

The international sign of being *very* mad on the internet.

-

A part of me seriously wonders if the reaction towards Bubba, and this absolutely silly thing carrying on longer then the Sunday it was present on is due to the fact that Bubba is a black driver in a series that basically has no diversity even with its Drive For Diversity program and still has very hard to shake off connections to a more 'honorable' and idealized South.

The international sign of being *very* mad on the internet
If you say so... No worries mate. Also, couldn't care less if a driver is black, white, purple, green, whatever so I personally don't factor that into things. Can't speak for others though.

"It was okay in the past so why is it an issue now?"

That's a great argument right there.
How many posts have you made about a guy quitting a "video game" Should I post numerous videos on here about "Professional Racing Drivers" intentionally wrecking someone in real life for you? Did you not quit a few of your league races do to rage quitting. I know the answer to that. So we'll just end it on that note. Have a great day.

If you have a sponsor for your stream, it's probably not a good idea to end it prematurely and act like a 12 year old on twitter.

If it was your money and brand, would any of you be happy about it? Doubt it.

I know I'm gonna get flak for saying this

How many posts have you made about a guy quitting a "video game" Should I post numerous videos on here about "Professional Racing Drivers" intentionally wrecking someone in real life for you? Did you not quit a few of your league races do to rage quitting. I know the answer to that. So we'll just end it on that note. Have a great day.

There it is... Good ol' deflection argument. Am I a paid sponsored driver for a professional racing team? Pretty sure there's a difference here.

There it is... Good ol' deflection argument. Am I a paid sponsored driver for a professional racing team? Pretty sure there's a difference here.
So what about the asshat that wrecked him? Hmmm. Yeah Professional race driver. Not Professional video game driver. Some people's 15 minutes of fame are up. They can go sponsor someone else who is a pro video game driver. I'm sure Bubba or most of the drivers would rather be in a real car perhaps.

We all wish they were all in real cars but this dumb virus is raining on everything's parade. It sucks.

Really? So what about Dale Earnhardt purposely wrecking people,"Moving them" back in the day? Did the sponsors on the car he wrecked go after him for lost revenue do to the fact they got no tv time? Give it a break already. I could show you a hundred wrecks done on purpose in all forms of motorsport.

That makes no sense and it’s completely irrelevant to this topic. Signing a deal with driver A doesn’t entitle you to anything from driver B.

I'm not mad. I'm quite calm and collected and responding to a thread that interests me. I don't care enough about any of this to know those details though, sorry.
You're in this thread because the topic interests you. But at the same time it doesn't interest you enough to have any actual details on the matter. :lol:

That makes no sense and it’s completely irrelevant to this topic. Signing a deal with driver A doesn’t entitle you to anything from driver B.
Driver A wrecks driver b. Driver b's sponsor gets no airtime. Nobody buys emu oil. Now you get it.

Really? So what about Dale Earnhardt purposely wrecking people,"Moving them" back in the day? Did the sponsors on the car he wrecked go after him for lost revenue do to the fact they got no tv time?
You get loads of TV time if you're involved in a crash - the crash gets replayed and reviewed from a million different angles while the rest of the cars wander around slowly under a yellow, all featuring your logos on the crashed car.

Here's an image from Bubba's stream:

bubba-wallace-rage-quit.jpg

Spot what's at the top of the screen there. Instead of that being there for the full 150 laps, it was there for 11 until he quit. Then there was a black screen that Blue Emu was sponsoring.

Meanwhile on the 1.3m viewer TV show on Fox Sports, the crash got replayed once (no need for more, because no course yellow when the crashed car vanishes into thin air), cutting to Clint Bowyer's reaction of it, before it - and Wallace, who had quit - wasn't even mentioned for the rest of the TV show.

In essence Blue Emu got 8% of what it paid Bubba Wallace for.

Last edited:
You get loads of TV time if you're involved in a crash - the crash gets replayed and reviewed from a million different angles while the rest of the cars wander around slowly under a yellow, all featuring your logos on the crashed car.

Here's an image from Bubba's stream:

View attachment 908122

Spot what's at the top of the screen there. Instead of that being there for the full 150 laps, it was there for 11 until he quit. Then there was a black screen that Blue Emu was sponsoring.

Meanwhile on the 1.3m viewer TV show on Fox Sports, the crash got replayed once (no need for more, because no course yellow when the crashed car vanishes into thin air), cutting to Clint Bowyer's reaction of it, before it - and Watson, who had quit - wasn't even mentioned for the rest of the TV show.

In essence Blue Emu got 8% of what it paid Bubba Watson for.
His name is Wallace not Watson.
How much do you think they paid Wallace for that? It's no different than when an F1 driver pulls his car over when it handles like crap. So your point is what? Blue Emu should be pissed at IRacing because they can't run a proper caution or Fox because you know,Video game constraints of caution after caution would be real fun to watch. That would just pull the viewers in.They have gotten way more airtime on this site and others than they could wish for. Guess it worked out.

Last edited:
His name is Wallace not Watson.
I keep mixing him up with the golfer. His name is also Darrell, not Bubba, but hey, his choice.
How much do you think they paid Wallace for that?
I have no idea. How much was it? I expect it's now zero either way...
It's no different than when an F1 driver pulls his car over when it handles like crap.
Aside from the fact that it is completely different - what with it being just a computer game and all - when was the last time that actually happened? Unless vehicle telemetry shows sufficient cause for a car to be retired (to "protect the engine", for example), it doesn't.

Why? Because sponsors lose their **** if a car parks for no reason, for precisely the reasons mentioned above. If you can show them that the car was going to fail out on track, they don't take their ball home.

So your point is what?
That Blue Emu got 8% of what it paid Bubba Wallace for.
They have gotten way more airtime on this site and others than they could wish for.
Bad publicity is worth a lot less than good. Blue Emu has likely weighed up the negatives from the reaction to ditching Bubba against the negatives of continuing to be linked with such a poor sportsman, alongside the positives of ditching such a poor sportsman and **** hot memes. The result seems clear.

I keep mixing him up with the golfer. His name is also Darrell, not Bubba, but hey, his choice.

I have no idea. How much was it? I expect it's now zero either way...

Aside from the fact that it is completely different - what with it being just a computer game and all - when was the last time that actually happened? Unless vehicle telemetry shows sufficient cause for a car to be retired (to "protect the engine", for example), it doesn't.

Why? Because sponsors lose their **** if a car parks for no reason, for precisely the reasons mentioned above. If you can show them that the car was going to fail out on track, they don't take their ball home.

That Blue Emu got 8% of what it paid Bubba Wallace for.

Bad publicity is worth a lot less than good. Blue Emu has likely weighed up the negatives from the reaction to ditching Bubba against the negatives of continuing to be linked with such a poor sportsman, alongside the positives of ditching such a poor sportsman and **** hot memes. The result seems clear.
The end result is they are all over the internet across the world. You think that 1.8 million people have not heard of this incident? Bubba quitting has given them way more world wide attention than Fox. So yeah %8 looks pretty cheap in hindsight. Bad publicity. You do know a guy named Trump I assume?

The end result is they are all over the internet across the world.
... for terminating the agreement, not for the crash or for Bubba quitting. Thus their action has proved the correct one.
Bubba quitting has given them way more world wide attention than Fox.
Nobody noticed Bubba quitting. At all. It wasn't even noted in the broadcast. Everybody noticed Blue Emu firing him for quitting.

Thus their action has proved the correct one.

Driver A wrecks driver b. Driver b's sponsor gets no airtime. Nobody buys emu oil. Now you get it.

That's tough luck for emu oil, but what makes you think they could demand compensation from driver A? They don't have any deal with driver A and there is no rule in NASCAR that says that a driver who causes a wreck needs to compensate the sponsor of the wrecked car.

Back