Nawzzz's Car(s)

It's still running flawlessly! Not a single hiccup or anything, and feels much more solid than my old 5-door. The previous owner was an older guy who was into his Japanese performance cars and bought this as a daily runaround. Suffice to say, he definitely knew what he was talking about, and had put a fair bit of money into it. It has had a respray at some point recently; in person, you can easily see the orange peel effect on certain areas, especially compared to spots such as the roof which haven't been touched. Regardless, its still a lot better on the eyes than the near pink my old one had faded to.

Forgot to mention that even though it was (and still pretty much is) bone stock, it has a Quickshift short shift kit from TRD, usually found in Glanzas. Starlet gear gates have a problem where the plastic notches get worn down and tend to catch the gear stick, especially when going from 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 5th. He replaced it with a nearly new one and it is such a lovely addition. Has a really notchy, 'mechanical' feel to it if that makes sense.

I realise I haven't updated this in ages, mainly because I've just forgot in all honesty. The only real addition I've added to the car over the past few months is an optional TRD gear knob/shifter replica. A friend of mine was sick on the back seat (don't ask), which made me think the whole spotlessness of my interior was ruined forever. He paid for a valet and extra compensation and its come out just fine. His car was written off a few minutes after he dropped the money off. Thankfully he was okay, but I still consider that good enough karma. :P

I've gone off really doing anything to it now. I've grown to like it as just a car. Its never missed a beat, its quick enough for what I need it for, its practical given its size, its decent on fuel, it was cheap to buy, its in good condition, its clean, it looks somewhat tidy inside and out, and its a bit unusual amidst all of the Corsas and Clios my friends have. It sounds a bit of a stretch given that it is just a late 90s econobox, but it doesn't really need anything as far as I'm concerned.

Long overdue update! Well, sorta.

The little Starlet is still running perfectly; blitzed through the MOT earlier this year with nothing more than a burnt out brake light bulb (which annoyingly happened on the way to the test centre). Got some new wheels and a service and it's all good. It's amazing, all my friends have cars that are over a decade newer with low miles and having nothing but problems, yet mine has had virtually none. It may be boring but it's at least built to last.

That said, I've been thinking about about a replacement for it in the near future. No real solid reason, just think it's time to move on from little crummy red hatchbacks :P. I've completely ruled out Starlet GTs and / or Glanzas. They cost ten times more than mine for a good one (not even factoring in insurance etc.) and whilst they're probably great fun, they're still just tinny hatchbacks without much refinement.

I would be interested in something a bit left field, maybe like a Kei car or a YRV Turbo, but again they're hard to find and can be costly. One car that has been on my mind is the original Lexus IS200. You can get them for under a grand, but about £2,500 will get you one in near perfect condition with a long service history.

I particularly like the Sportcross. They're still a very attractive shape and quite uncommon, which is another bonus. I need to get an insurance quote closer to the time to see if I can actually afford to run one, but there's a few other people my age knocking about in them so hopefully it'll turn out good. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Colt CZT/Ralliart? I'd love a Ralliart but I can't afford the insurance, but you've been driving longer than I have so hopefully they'll be kinder on you.

That's not a bad shout. I really like the Ralliart but they're surprisingly pricey for what they are. That said, they are kind of rare and fairly modern, so that might explain it. A regular CZT would probably be just as much fun and far cheaper. Only real issue I have with the Colt is the interior; I remember sitting in a Ralliart at a Mitsubishi dealer when they were brand new. Even though I was only about 13, I was still kind of surprised at how low-rent the interior was. No joke, I'm fairly certain the interior plastics of my car are better, and it's ten years older. I'm not a stickler for interior quality or creature comforts so I can totally deal with it, but even so. :lol:

I do like how they look though, and I've heard they're surprisingly punchy as well. A CZT would be worth it since most of Mitsubishi's customer base are quite elderly, so they won't have really been driven in anger and would be quite well maintained.

Other cars I've got on the shortlist are both the Ignis and Swift Sport, a Copen or an MR2. I was also considering an RX-8, but I reckon the insurance will be way too high, and the idea of more frequent maintenance kind of puts me off too. The MR2 will probably be a pain to insure as well, now that I think about it. There's still oddball choices floating around in my head; a Kei car is most definitely on my bucket list, as is an original Mini. There's also something appealing about a second gen Scirocco, but finding one that isn't completely rooted is a bit difficult.

I've been looking at Mk2 Sciroccos as well. Really difficult to find ones that haven't been stood in a drive for 10 years or immaculate ones that fetch far too much money. I'd prefer a Mk1 Scirocco but those are even more stupidly rare and expensive. I'd love a modern Scirocco too, but an 08 TDI with 120k will easily set you back £6k.

I'd love a Kei car myself, so if you do get one I'll be very interested!

Almost a year without an update, that's Toyota reliability for you! :P

With me back in employment and earning a steady income again, I can finally focus on getting a new car. The Starlet has been great, but truth be told I haven't really bonded with it. It's a good car, but I don't think I'll honestly miss it too much when it's gone. Maybe it's because I've outgrown it and just see it as reliable transport.

So with that in mind, I've set my sights on my next car. I was contemplating getting an Impreza of some kind; either a late 90s 2000 Turbo or a blobeye WRX, as both of them are relatively cheap and I can just about afford insurance. But I thought about it some more and asked myself some questions. Do I really want to spend £1,300 a year on insurance? Do I wanna pay £400 for road tax? Do I need to put up with dire fuel economy in exchange for 200+ HP when I only really drive four miles to and from work each day in start-stop traffic?

The answer is honestly no. As much as I love Subarus and would like to own one, it's no small wonder they go cheap these days since the running costs kind of tinge the whole experience. Common logic says to either stick with the Starlet or get a small hatchback on finance or something, given the small amount of miles I'm doing. But I like to be different. After mulling over my budget and stuff that I actually like, I landed on a Daihatsu Copen. Perhaps the antithesis of a WRX, it ticks all of the boxes I like in a car:

- Funny engine configuration
- Quirky looks
- Robust Japanese build quality
- Lots to do with them, modification wise
- Uncommon
- Criminally undervalued
- Cheap to buy / run

A kei car has always been on my bucket list, and a Copen is the easiest avenue of ownership since they made it to the UK pretty much unaltered. Currently eyeing up either a black or dark green one, with the optional duckbill spoiler. Watch this space, because soon I could be rocking a tiny, buzzy little convertible that isn't an MX-5!

If you go for a Copen you have two options. One is getting an official UK spec car with a 1.3 Yaris engine which will make it feel a little like a Starlet. The other is getting a 660cc JDM car which is a proper kei car. Go for the latter! :cool:

Definitely going for the later. The 1.3 models came out just before Daihatsu folded in the UK so there's not many around anyway, and they're usually a tad more expensive than a 660cc model. A 1.3 would probably be better for longer journeys but a Copen isn't exactly the best choice of vehicle for that anyway!

Never driven a Copen, but find them hugely appealing. A little look around the internet suggests they're ripe for modification too - would make a really fun project, I reckon.

I'm in full support of the Copen. I've been keeping an eye out for a Cappuccino every now and then, but most are either pretty expensive or rotten from the inside out. Would definitely love to own some kind of kei car one day though.

Bit of an update since it's a been a while and a fair bit has happened.

The Starlet is gone; had a faulty alternator and / or electrical system which let me down most mornings, and got to the point where the battery needed recharging every night to ensure it worked the next day. On top of that, a chip in my windscreen turned into a sizable crack, the heater had stopped working, and a large vehicle had swiped it at some point so the driver's side paint was ruined. All things considered, it wasn't worth getting all this fixed, but I really needed a car that worked and fast. The Starlet was sold off as a parts car, for about £200. Due to life issues, I didn't have much of a budget, but I looked around and ended up with a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer, with the 1.6, manual and in 'Elegance' trim.

Cost me £1,300, with a mere 52,000 miles on it (just clicked over to 53k today in fact), one owner and a full service history. Bad points are that it has a squeaky fan belt and that it's so dull. Also, I've managed to back into a few things already, which makes me think I've picked a car that's too big for me, annoyingly. Haven't added any pictures because it's so bland, but that shall be rectified in the future. :P It isn't a bad car to drive though, and being an Elegance model, it came with full leather as well as power mirrors and central locking. Not that special, but it is after two years with a base model 90s hatchback!

I'm already craving something a bit sportier though. A Copen is still on the hit list, but 7th gen Celicas are also one I've got my eye on. I'm now at the age where I can afford to run / insure something with a slightly bigger engine, and a Celica is actually dirt cheap to buy and insure these days. Still not a fan of the styling, but that's mostly due to the wheels Toyota fitted from the factory and can of course be rectified very easily. I'll keep the Lancer for a few months just to save up a bit of cash. Once a sensible alternative comes around (preferably from a dealer so I can trade it in directly), I'll look at upgrading. It's like I live in Gran Turismo, the rate I'm going through these cheap Japanese cars. :lol:

I thought we agreed on a fully modified 660cc JDM spec kei car and then you go buy a 05 Lancer.. :(

If keeping with Mitsubishi, a turbo i (not an i-Miev). That would be rad as ****.

I know they're an acquired taste and became synonymous with the early-2000s tuning scene, but I've always liked the look of the 7th-gen Celica. Gran Turismo did play a big part in that.

My ideal spec is a pre-facelift car, preferably in silver and without a spoiler, but with these wheels:

2000-Toyota-Celica-V8-1080.jpg

So I suppose a mix of that, and this:

2000-Toyota-Celica-V4-1080.jpg

I thought we agreed on a fully modified 660cc JDM spec kei car and then you go buy a 05 Lancer.. :(

If keeping with Mitsubishi, a turbo i (not an i-Miev). That would be rad as ****.

I'm working on it. :sly: I've never actually seen a Japanese-spec i for sale over here, even i-Mievs are thin on the ground. Perhaps too quirky for people over here?

For what it's worth, the Lancer isn't a bad car. It drives well, is well equipped, isn't offensive looking and cheap to run. But it doesn't have the same charm other humdrum cars have, like Civics or Corollas of the same vintage. It's literally just... a car. An appliance. You'd be hard pressed to think this is the same car the Evo is based on; then again, besides the basic roofline and interior panels, it really isn't underneath.

I know they're an acquired taste and became synonymous with the early-2000s tuning scene, but I've always liked the look of the 7th-gen Celica. Gran Turismo did play a big part in that.

My ideal spec is a pre-facelift car, preferably in silver and without a spoiler, but with these wheels:

So I suppose a mix of that, and this:

The blue one is pretty much exactly how I'd want mine. Part of why they're growing on me is that they've actually aged quite gracefully. Many manufacturers (Toyota especially) seem to be on this kick of designing cars with lots of sharp angles, but the Celica did that 18 years ago and did it better. It was polarising when it was new, yet it actually looks quite good among modern traffic if that makes sense.

I'm working on it. :sly: I've never actually seen a Japanese-spec i for sale over here, even i-Mievs are thin on the ground. Perhaps too quirky for people over here?
They did actually sell the regular petrol "i" in the UK - there are always a few for sale on eBay.

Back