• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,317 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The National Basketball Association is gearing up for another season of the usual drama and excitement this sport usually provides. Veteran players and newcomers from the collegiate landscape and the international circuit will be looking to take one of 30 teams to championship glory. After the San Antonio Spurs beat the Miami Heat in five games to win the championship in the 2013-2014 season, the silver and black boys will be the team the other 29 NBA teams hope to take down to claim the O'Brien Trophy for this season. Games of the Preseason and regular season variety will be played in the United States, Canada, Mexico, England, and certain other international locales.

Get ready a new season with all that makes the NBA what it is... Drama. Exciting games. Heart-stopping moments. Star players who go above and beyond to help elevate their team to new levels. Slam dunks. Clutch shots. Buzzer-beaters. Hard fouls. And at times... head-scratching moments worthy of "Shaqtin' a Fool" honors. Thirty will play 82 games, but only sixteen (eight from each conference) will be worthy (or even lucky) to have a chance to win the championship. Who will triumph this season as champions? That will play itself out between late October of 2014 and at least mid-June 2015.

As of the time of this post, the NBA Draft takes place this Thursday. Rather than make a separate thread regarding offseason moves in the NBA, I figured I'd make this thread to discuss all goings on in the NBA from free agency to whomever wins the championship.

GTPlanet, it's time to tip off a new season of NBA basketball. Welcome to the new season.

The other beach is salivating at the thought that they could land both of them. Would immediately cripple the East as then Indiana will have very little competition.

Well actually Lebron has decided to opt out of his current contract, not necessarily leave Miami for other pastures. That said I have a feeling he's either done this to take less money at Riley's direction to lure Melo or he genuinely wants to leave.

That said I really hope the NBA does not allow Melo to join up with Miami. The East is already weak as is.

So close to the draft! This gunna be good!:D

Mavs are going to send the Knicks Larkin, Ellington, Calderon, & Dalembert along with 2 picks for Chandler & Felton. I know Chandler won't be at the point he was during the Championship run, but he's way better than anything else we've had since. I've never really watched how Felton plays, but I assume it's a good trade for Calderon; he's got a great 3 and field of vision, but he can't defend against these faster PGs.

Mavs are going to send the Knicks Larkin, Ellington, Calderon, & Dalembert along with 2 picks for Chandler & Felton. I know Chandler won't be at the point he was during the Championship run, but he's way better than anything else we've had since. I've never really watched how Felton plays, but I assume it's a good trade for Calderon; he's got a great 3 and field of vision, but he can't defend against these faster PGs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: *Solemn face* I disagree.

The Rockets are also reportedly going to trade Omer Asik (finally) to the Pelicans for a highly protected 2015 1st round pick. I like the trade from the point of view that this gives New Orleans a genuine centre to play along side Anthony Davis, and it clears cap space for the Rockets to make a run at Lebron or Melo. Not sure if I like the fact that the Pelicans MAY give up a 1st round draft pick for Omer Asik. That said, it's so highly protected the odds are even if they do give it up they may not have been able to draft a player of Asik's value anyway.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-latest-trade-details-comments-and-reaction

@McLaren: Do you think the Mavs have a good chance in landing Melo?

I mean would he rather play beside an aging Dirk, a so-so Monte Ellis, compared to an MVP considerate Noah, and a hopefully healthy Rose? Besides that, he will have a MUCH easier road to the NBA Finals if he sticks to the Eastern Conference than head out West, as much as it pains me to say that.

Ready for the NBA Draft tonight? Some young 'uns are going to join some NBA teams and perhaps try to make those respective teams' rosters once the regular season starts proper. I have no predictions of who goes where or what kind of free agent goings on will transpire. All I know is, if things aren't crazy already, it's about to get crazy.

It is going to be interesting to see how far Embiid and Randle fall due to their injuries

Wow, draft has been going interesting so far, but I think Magic reached a little when they picked Gordon IMO.

Also, don't see why the Jazz picked up Exum as well, I guess they want him as a combo guard.

Finally, am surprised that 76ers chose Embiid, wonder how Noel must feel :lol:

I'm not so sure about our #14 pick T.J Warren, and #18 Tyler Ennis.
Warren I have no idea how he will fare, Ennis will be a decent backup to Dragic + Bledsoe.
Also, it's hilarious how desperate the Raptors are trying to pry Ennis away from us.
#27 Bogdan Bogdanovic, is the perfect draft-and-stash dude, so no problem with him.

But Toronto at #20... what were they thinking? :crazy:

Oh well look on the bright side at least your team got picks.

Meanwhile the Pels got Asik but I think Dells needs to lure in a SF and make the playoffs this year or he's not gonna have a job at the end of the season.

Oh well look on the bright side at least your team got picks.

:lol:

I like that NOLA got Asik. Little annoyed that they gave up another 1st round pick though. And oh, they traded away the draft rights for Pierre Jackson back to Sixers in exchange for 2nd rounder PG Russ Smith.

So happy Cameron Bairstow got drafted to the Bulls! A team that figures to be relevant next season and with Boozer gone he may have a decent chance at cracking the rotation. Just glad he got drafted at all. Hope he plays well for you @sumbrownkid. 👍

:lol:

I like that NOLA got Asik. Little annoyed that they gave up another 1st round pick though. And oh, they traded away the draft rights for Pierre Jackson back to Sixers in exchange for 2nd rounder PG Russ Smith.

That Pierre Jackson trade was just plain retarded IMO.

Wow, draft has been going interesting so far, but I think Magic reached a little when they picked Gordon IMO.

Also, don't see why the Jazz picked up Exum as well, I guess they want him as a combo guard.

Finally, am surprised that 76ers chose Embiid, wonder how Noel must feel :lol:

Everyone thinks the Magic reached, apparently Gordon got boo'd when it was announced. If the Jazz are happy to play Exum at point guard I think it'll be a good team situation for him. Rather the Jazz than the Cavs/Bucks/Celtics/Lakers even if they are a bit of a lame team.

I'm not so sure about our #14 pick T.J Warren, and #18 Tyler Ennis.
Warren I have no idea how he will fare, Ennis will be a decent backup to Dragic + Bledsoe.
Also, it's hilarious how desperate the Raptors are trying to pry Ennis away from us.
#27 Bogdan Bogdanovic, is the perfect draft-and-stash dude, so no problem with him.

But Toronto at #20... what were they thinking? :crazy:

Apparently the Brazillian guy they drafted is an athletic/physical freak with tremendous upside. He is similar to Gianis Antetokounpo in that sense, but not as talented-however he is only 18.
I still don't know if it was worth it though, at #20 you're probably not getting much anyway, maybe they wanted potential impact or nothing at all.
Edit: I think the Raptors analysts summed it up pretty well.

Edit: The Kings have signed un-drafted rookie Hodor Sim Bhullar. Dude is 7'5"!

Last edited:
Everyone thinks the Magic reached, apparently Gordon got boo'd when it was announced. If the Jazz are happy to play Exum at point guard I think it'll be a good team situation for him. Rather the Jazz than the Cavs/Bucks/Celtics/Lakers even if they are a bit of a lame team

It's the fact that they could've filled the hole at PG with Exum and passed on him.

Also the probability of Gordon still being on the board at their pick (11?) would've been 50/50 but they drafted another PG with that pick so I assume it works out

There's no way in hell Big Sim is going to run up and down the court all game.

SHABAZZ!

They traded for Elfrid Payton, so they got both their needs.

Payton may only turn out to be a back-up at best.

There's no way in hell Big Sim is going to run up and down the court all game.

It sure will be fun watching him try though.:D

......... 🤬 Summer League is only 1 week away!:D

It is said that Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Udonis Haslem all opted out of their contracts and will test the free agent market. These moves will reportedly free up about $55M USD in salary cap space. Whoa! What do you make of this deal? And what do you think will happen with D-Wade, Bosh, and Haslem?

They're all going to re-sign with the Heat for less and get another big name free agent further putting the hurt on small market teams' ability to become contenders, unless this draft class turns out as hyped.

Of course they are going to re-sign. It would be comical though if some other team just goes in and offers them more only to have it be rejected. I would not be surprised if Lowry, Bosh, Wade, Napier and James were the starting 5 for the Heat next year.

In other news, I no longer want Jason Kidd as a coach of Brooklyn. Coach for one year, get miffed that the Knicks higher a coach for more money and then ask to be the head of Basketball operations when you didn't do much in your first year as coach. On top of that, try and talk to another team to get hired as president for them because you didn't get a job you didn't deserve from a team that literally gave you an opportunity. All it shows is that you are a quitter and lack integrity.

I'll be hella 🤬 if Lowry goes to Miami, I want him back in Toronto. I'd love to see Oden get proper minutes next season with the Heat. If Lowry does go to Miami though they'll become one of my least favourite teams in the NBA for stealing Toronto's star players.
I'm surprised full Summer League rosters haven't been announced yet, I suspect there'll be a few undrafted rookies to make a squad in the NBA yet.

I still miss Kyle Lowry when he played for my Rockets. Then again, I've also missed Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry for when they wore Rockets red. I think we can agree on Kyle Lowry's talent no matter what team he plays for. That's even if Lowry played for Orlando, Milwaukee, or whomever.

Of course they are going to re-sign. It would be comical though if some other team just goes in and offers them more only to have it be rejected. I would not be surprised if Lowry, Bosh, Wade, Napier and James were the starting 5 for the Heat next year.

Lmao, talk about small ball.

My opinion: Big three return. Steve Blake comes back to his hometown replacing Battier. Ray Allen comes back if Big 3 come back.

Maybe they go after someone like Chandler Parsons. We need a Mike Miller back-- someone that can crash the boards if they're not shooting the three. When the Heat played small they got destroyed on the boards. Shabazz is already a huge defensive vulnerability if mismatched. We need bigger, more versatile shooters.

I don't think D Wade is a starter anymore. He needs to lose weight or something because he looks like he's on a steady dose of ludes or like he pops a soma before each game. It's like his gas tank rusted out.

So Melo is to meet with the Bulls first before any other team. For Bairstow's and the league's sake, I hope he signs there. It will make the most interesting situation/new team and give Bairstow a legit chance at making the rotation (as opposed to if Love went there).
In other news, the Raptors have rid themselves of John Salmons who just wasn't producing any more this late in his career, and traded for Lou Williams and a Brazillian centre called Lucas Nogueira who was drafted mid first round last year but has yet to play in the NBA. I like the deal, it gives us more scoring punch off the bench and a young prospect at reserve centre. Williams is also on an expiring contract this season, so if he doesn't work out (read: he really is broken after his ACL injury last year) we'll be rid of him next year anyway, along with Landry Fields' and Chuck Hayes' onerous contracts.
Edit: I read on Bleacher Report the Raps will have some $20mil in cap space with those three gone, who knows, with another solid season under belt Toronto could be a major free agent player next year. Here's hoping.:cheers:

Last edited:
They're all going to re-sign with the Heat for less and get another big name free agent further putting the hurt on small market teams' ability to become contenders, unless this draft class turns out as hyped.
This was the original thought at first. Everyone opts out, big name signs with the Heat, they come back.

Except James wants a max contact around $22.2 million.

Other news, reports claim that if Melo's mindset is to win, Dallas is his safest bet after the trade. I don't know if we're the safest but I wouldn't doubt that's his goal now. This is his first and last major time in free agency at his age.

Brooklyn gets two 2nd round picks as former coach and current scumbag Jason Kidd becomes head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks.

Back