NBA 2K21 to cost $10 more on PS5 and Xbox Series X

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 4 comments
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
NBA 2K21 will have a recommended price of $69.99/£64.99 when it launches on PS5 and Xbox Series X this year.

That's $10 more than the PS4 and Xbox One version, which has a recommended price of $59.99/£59.99.

It's the first hint that the next generation may lead to higher software prices as development costs are expected to increase with the new machines.

The Xbox One and PS4 versions are due on September 4th, with the PS5 and Xbox Series X editions set to launch alongside the new machines later this year. 2K says the more expensive versions have been "built from the ground up for next-generation consoles".

Full Article (Gamesindustry.biz)

This story gained enough traction to reach mainstream news (BBC) in the UK.

What are your thoughts towards a $70 price point being the norm when next-gen platforms arrive?

Just saw this article. Game prices keep going up but that's a fact of life with the games getting bigger and harder to make. Read somewhere that relative to back in the day the prices are still cheaper than they were in the 80's.

Also this is all confusing for the Xbox versions. Aren't they technically just all XB1 games but with the XBX optimised sticker? So will that mean they are $10 less than the PS5 equivalent?

Also this is all confusing for the Xbox versions. Aren't they technically just all XB1 games but with the XBX optimised sticker? So will that mean they are $10 less than the PS5 equivalent?

Technically, any Xbox version of NBA 2K21 will work on the Series X, but Smart Delivery is not supported on the regular edition of the game so you will need to upgrade to the Mamba Forever Edition or buy the regular game again (but progress carries over):
Screenshot_2020_07_02_at_14.51.05.png

So if you want a version that will work on next-gen systems, $70 is the least you can expect to pay.

I mean, the Yanks are just now seeing what Canadian games have been priced at for two generations by this point, so.

What worries me is that 2K is doing the same thing with CAD too, so games absolutely are going to be priced at $100 with taxes when it's all said and done.

Just saw this article. Game prices keep going up but that's a fact of life with the games getting bigger and harder to make. Read somewhere that relative to back in the day the prices are still cheaper than they were in the 80's.

They were £40+ in the 90s. Virtual F1 for megadrive was £70. However maybe we were just being ripped off back then. I cant justify 65 for a base game and I'm not buying the into the increasing costs as a justification, maybe it is the reason but what if they need to charge 100-200 per game? They're just trying it on imo. Try dropping licences and just focus on the game with a good edit mode.

Back