Need a 'lil help with first car...

Messages
140
Well my parents informed me a few weeks ago that when i turn 16 i will be getting either thier car or a Kia Soul :)

I was just wondering what you guys thought about it? I like that it doesnt look like a rolling turd and that theres plenty of space and stuff (plus the sound system is pretty awesome) my parents know im a gearhead but also know i wont drive like a complete arse...

Heres my 2 choices so far.....

2007 Kia Spectra (bought new nothing really wrong)
2009 Kia Soul (Used by the time im old enough)

Ive been driving go-karts and stuff since i was little, and since my plan for being in any kind of professional open wheeling were dashed pretty early (i actually had a pretty good plan considering my age.) i know how to drive conservativly and understand that insurance and paymenl ts will be killer, and if i can wait this long to legally drive, im sure another 11 years till i can get something fun.... (15 by the way....)

Autocross will be for sure... 💡
 
Get the Soul. Have you looked at any of the other boxes on wheels, like the Cube?
 
Get the Soul.
 
The Soul is a surprisingly good car, I test drove one a few months back and I was very impressed for something that was so inexpensive and so very Korean. It came with a zillion features too which was nice and the sound system was awesome for a little box on wheels. It doesn't look awful either, it's funky and modern.

It wasn't the fastest car in the world nor did handle as well as my Cooper, but it still was pretty fun to drive around town. I drove the 5-speed one and the transmission was decently smooth. I refused to drive the auto because it was an antiquated 4-speed box. The ride itself was a bit rough too with the 18" rims and low profile tires. I don't think I'd want to autocross it either, it seems like the CG is high-ish compared to other small boxes.

The only thing I know about a Kia Spectra is that looks like a Civic and Mazda Protégé mated and that was it's offspring.
 
Does the Soul force you to level grind like crazy just to get anywhere?

If not, it's not very Korean :p
 
Wait for Fiesta to compare.
 
Omnis is right beyond words. For the money, you're much better off looking at the Fiesta which will be here shortly. The Soul isn't a bad car, in fact, it is a very good one... But it likely won't hold a candle to the Fiesta.
 
Wait for Fiesta to compare.
Omnis is right beyond words. For the money, you're much better off looking at the Fiesta which will be here shortly. The Soul isn't a bad car, in fact, it is a very good one... But it likely won't hold a candle to the Fiesta.


I agree, wait for the Fiesta - should be good. Maybe even look at a Fit? They are fun machines.

Get the Soul. Have you looked at any of the other boxes on wheels, like the Cube?

Don't look at a Cube. Or well, look at it - don't buy it. I have read so many reviews that say it is terrible. Which means it's either terrible or a conspiracy. I'm going to say terrible.
 
I'd tend to agree with everyone else and wait for the Fiesta, but if you can't wait, then you'd be more than happy with the Soul.

Don't look at a Cube. Or well, look at it - don't buy it. I have read so many reviews that say it is terrible. Which means it's either terrible or a conspiracy. I'm going to say terrible.

The third option is that the press don't "get" it. It's a crazy Japanese car designed first and foremost with crazy Japanese people in mind. I love it for that reason, but just like the Top Gear/Clarkson test a fair while back of the original Cube, I reckon a lot of journalists looking at it objectively wouldn't like it.

The trouble is, with something like the Cube you can't solely judge it by objective means as there's more to it than that.

If I were to guess, I'd probably say it was an "average" car, but not one that you can't put up with (or even enjoy to some extent) if you happen to value the way it looks...
 
I think a 1st generation Honda Fit would also be a good option.
 
The Soul is a nice little runabout to drive and should serve you well. Quick enough, playful enough, and well-outfitted. I'd go that route.
 
I'm voting with Omnis, YSSMAN, and LongbowX. The Fiesta is calling for you. Wait for it. :p




Cheers
Jetboy
 
The third option is that the press don't "get" it. It's a crazy Japanese car designed first and foremost with crazy Japanese people in mind. I love it for that reason, but just like the Top Gear/Clarkson test a fair while back of the original Cube, I reckon a lot of journalists looking at it objectively wouldn't like it.

The trouble is, with something like the Cube you can't solely judge it by objective means as there's more to it than that.

If I were to guess, I'd probably say it was an "average" car, but not one that you can't put up with (or even enjoy to some extent) if you happen to value the way it looks...

Perhaps, but most of the things I have read negatively on it are how it drives, its NVH and other things - which are not good things. While they might not "get it", I think that can objectively measure how it performs as a car. I think you're right, it is an average, perfectly acceptable car. There are just better ones out there like the Fiesta and the Fit which perform better as cars, though less so as a statement. But I don't think this person wants to make that much for a statement.

Some amusing quotes from one review:

The engine exhibits no noticeable power peak because there’s no noticeable power.

Sixty mph arrives in a leisurely 9.1 seconds versus, say, the 142-horse Kia Soul’s 7.9 seconds. And the Cube’s 17.0-second quarter mile suggests you might want to bring along reading material.

The Cube’s dash...occasionally shivers and groans as if it’s twisting, and the vibrating rear headrests—performing a kind of ballroom rumba in the rearview mirror—hint at a platform that isn’t a paradigm of unyielding solidity. The Cube feels fragile. Towing? Not recommended.

At freeway speeds, the windscreen displaces a tornado of air, quite audible as it tumbles over the A-pillars.

Aft of the rear seat, the Cube offers 11 cubic feet of storage, far behind the little Kia Soul’s 19 cubic feet and the Scion xB’s 22.

And the best:

We passed an 18-wheeler. “That trucker just looked down and laughed at us,” Wes said. “With one flick of his steering wheel, he coulda crushed us.” He said this as if it might not be an awful outcome.

_______________________


It's a fair article, and I understand your point. But do you think that this person wants a funky Japanese car that's styling inspiration was a Bulldog with sunglasses?
 
Last edited:
Some of the lines from articles that you quoted made me laugh, but at the same time, I'd say that a number of them completely miss the point. 9 seconds to sixty is roughly what my MX5 will do so I wouldn't describe it as too shabby for a practical city car with a CVT transmission and loads of kit. I've no idea why they'd consider using it as a tow vehicle, and regarding storage, if it's anything like the previous-gen Cube, it'll come with an extended version which will probably even have seven seats. You don't get that in a Soul.

Talking of how it drives sort of misses the point too. As long as it's even average, that's perfectly acceptable for the sort of people who'll buy it. I mean lets be honest - it doesn't look remotely "sporty" so you wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't drive as such. You buy it because it looks like this:

nissan-cube-2009.jpg


...and has an interior that looks like this:

2009-Nissan-cube-Krom-0014.jpg


Let's face it, the VW Beetle doesn't drive very well and isn't especially practical, but that hasn't stopped it being a hit. They're style-over-substance cars, and if they don't claim to have more substance than something a bit more boring, then I don't personally see a problem with that.

All that said, I can see your point that the OP might not be necessarily in the market for that sort of car (although with the Soul on the shortlist, the Cube probably should be a consideration... as should a Toyota bB/Scion xB/xD) . For which reason, I'd still recommend the Fiesta.

Incidentally, I should have a disclaimer in all my posts about new cars that my view on things such as refinement and performance is very much influenced by the fact that I've spent the last six years driving a very basic small hatchback - so comments that modern cars are "slow" or "noisy" make me laugh quite a bit...
 
Some of the lines from articles that you quoted made me laugh, but at the same time, I'd say that a number of them completely miss the point. 9 seconds to sixty is roughly what my MX5 will do so I wouldn't describe it as too shabby for a practical city car with a CVT transmission and loads of kit. I've no idea why they'd consider using it as a tow vehicle, and regarding storage, if it's anything like the previous-gen Cube, it'll come with an extended version which will probably even have seven seats. You don't get that in a Soul.

Talking of how it drives sort of misses the point too. As long as it's even average, that's perfectly acceptable for the sort of people who'll buy it. I mean lets be honest - it doesn't look remotely "sporty" so you wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't drive as such.

All that said, I can see your point that the OP might not be necessarily in the market for that sort of car (although with the Soul on the shortlist, the Cube probably should be a consideration... as should a Toyota bB/Scion xB/xD) . For which reason, I'd still recommend the Fiesta.

Incidentally, I should have a disclaimer in all my posts about new cars that my view on things such as refinement and performance is very much influenced by the fact that I've spent the last six years driving a very basic small hatchback - so comments that modern cars are "slow" or "noisy" make me laugh quite a bit...

I understand that it's perfectly acceptable. But why should the original poster settle for acceptable.

Keep in mind the OP said this:
my parents know im a gearhead(...)

Ive been driving go-karts and stuff since i was little, and since my plan for being in any kind of professional open wheeling were dashed pretty early (i actually had a pretty good plan considering my age.) i know how to drive conservativly and understand that insurance and paymenl ts will be killer, and if i can wait this long to legally drive, im sure another 11 years till i can get something fun.... (15 by the way....)

Autocross will be for sure... 💡

That sounds more like a person who cares more about how it works. And namely when it comes to things like that, other cars like the Fiesta, Fit...and probably the Soul work better.


Oh, and the thing about towing was a joke. :sly: Although....I really don't think the OP is interested in a extended Cube? Autocrossing in an extended Cube?

The person who buys it isn't interested in sport, and the performance is acceptable in all areas (including space and cubbyholes). The problem is that the OP does want sport.
 
Autocrossing in an extended Cube?

The person who buys it isn't interested in sport, and the performance is acceptable in all areas (including space and cubbyholes). The problem is that the OP does want sport.

I couldn't tell from the OP's OP whether he wanted the car he was getting soon for autocross or whether he would "wait 11 years" or whatever term he used before getting something better (/more suited to autocross).

Personally, if I was really that interested in autocross I wouldn't get a Cube, nor a Soul, nor have the Spectra or whatever, nor a Fit... my money would be going down on an older Civic or something. I was just guessing from the general direction of the thread that autocross wasn't the priority.
 
I understand that it's perfectly acceptable. But why should the original poster settle for acceptable.

Keep in mind the OP said this:


That sounds more like a person who cares more about how it works. And namely when it comes to things like that, other cars like the Fiesta, Fit...and probably the Soul work better.


Oh, and the thing about towing was a joke. :sly: Although....I really don't think the OP is interested in a extended Cube? Autocrossing in an extended Cube?

The person who buys it isn't interested in sport, and the performance is acceptable in all areas (including space and cubbyholes). The problem is that the OP does want sport.


yea.... plus we kinda have an insider guy at the kia dealer, thats why its the first choice, but the fiesta is great! :dopey:
 
Talking of how it drives sort of misses the point too.

Usually I'd agree with you, but from reading the article, they weren't doing anything strenuous while driving. They weren't exactly exploring the limits for grip on the highway and it sounded like the car was doing rubbish.

Sure, the Cube is there because its stylish and people will buy it for that. But you can't dump a whole heap of cash on something that looks cute in the car park. The interior sounds like its attrocious to be in, and this wouldn't be acceptable whilst city driving even, so actually I think the "how it drives" of this calibre is actually quite important.

👍
 
The interior is quite atrocious.

I was tempted until I sat in one.
 
I couldn't tell from the OP's OP whether he wanted the car he was getting soon for autocross or whether he would "wait 11 years" or whatever term he used before getting something better (/more suited to autocross).

Personally, if I was really that interested in autocross I wouldn't get a Cube, nor a Soul, nor have the Spectra or whatever, nor a Fit... my money would be going down on an older Civic or something. I was just guessing from the general direction of the thread that autocross wasn't the priority.

Of course there are lots of cars better suited to autocrossing than those mentioned. Of course he mentioned the Soul had:

...and that theres plenty of space and stuff.

...which makes me think that he could use the space for something? Since he thought of it? Civic might not be a big enough. But...I'm just complaining now for no reason. :lol: Though autocrossing in a Fit would be fun, I think.

yea.... plus we kinda have an insider guy at the kia dealer, thats why its the first choice, but the fiesta is great! :dopey:

So now the truth comes out. :sly: If you can get a deal on the Soul, then I guess go for it. Even if the other cars might be better. If the deal is significantly cheaper than the comparable others - then I say go.




___

....And this is also why I rarely dare to venture outside the Photography section. Online debates scare me. :indiff:
 
lol.... didnt think the thread would go somewhat haywire... but yea... im gonna need some room, even thought i love the miata, id probably be dead in 5 months from somehow getting a V8 to fit and killing myself. :D
 
I suggest you get a used peugeot 106 rallye. It has enough room for any teenager it is cheap and it drives like a kart. What more would you want?
 
Back