Need a little help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gearshifter2
  • 13 comments
  • 767 views
Messages
1
I've never played any of the Gran Turismo games before and I was wanting to get my footing. I've got a decent knowledge of cars, but I'd like some peoples recommendations for a starting car for GT mode. Thanks. :)
 
I would start with something light and FR. FF layouts take a while to learn to drive quick, and MR's are a little hard to control when it starts to slide. A light FR will handle good with decent grip. I suggest something like a Miata or an S13.

EDIT: WELCOME TO GTP!
 
Gearshifter
I've never played any of the Gran Turismo games before and I was wanting to get my footing. I've got a decent knowledge of cars, but I'd like some peoples recommendations for a starting car for GT mode. Thanks. :)
Welcome to GTPlanet and Gran Turismo.

I know this is going to sound boring, but my suggestion is to go take the first set of license exams, and practice until you get silver in all of them.

This will give you a great introduction to a number of cars, and it will award you at least one prize car (two, if you manage silver). It will also teach you a lot about what GT4 expects in the way of contol inputs and driving tactics.

GT4 is not a button masher's game, and dull as they can be, the license tests do teach you some gentleness on the controls.

I strongly suggest that you start out using the left stick to steer and the right stick for gas and brake. Although it does not appear to be that way in the OPTIONS menu, this is in fact the default setup for the Dual Shock controller.

If you decide this game really is for you, then I also suggest that you invest the money in a Driving Force Pro wheel from Logitech. It really improves the gaming experience, as long as you have some place solid and comfortable to mount it.

Good luck,

Duke
 
I would suggest getting a couple of licences (bronze is enough for starters) and then doing the first 10 missions. This will give you a few cars and a bit more cash and a good intro to the feel of the game.

Use one of the prize cars for the Sunday cup, lightweight cups, FR challenge - whatever. Then you will be able to buy something - MX5/Miata, Evo, WRX, Truck, some little cheap MR, whatever grabs your fancy. Used WRX is a good choice (Race of the Pelaides, Boxer Spirit, 4WD, ??).
 
I have to disagree with you, Duke, on controls. It can be very confusing for some people (myself included) to use both anaolog sticks, as one can get mixed up easily. I can get just as accurate throttle brake control with square / X, and those coupled with the d-pad or left stick is usually the best. I've gotton gold and sivler on every single license test and consider myself a good driver, and I use the buttons and the d-pad. Both can be very presise if use well. But two stick can be difficult for some.

As for a car, get a decent 4WD if you can afford it, they are the most forgiving for unskilleed drivers, and don't forget to get the licenses first!
 
Pick yourself a MX5 from the used lot.
It will be the best starter car.
You can enter some early races like Sunday cup to get the race feel first.
Also enter some family cup races at -10 to -6 hardness level.
Then do the first license test.
I use left stick for steering wheel and buttons for brake / gas.
Right stick for brake / gas is too hard for me when I have to turn with my left thumb in a different plane than my right hand has to travel.
If you start out and dont like your first car, you can easily erase the game save and restart. If you do licenses first, you probably would not want to erase your game save if your first car is a bad choice.

Welcome to GTP and have fun racing.
 
I'm a Dpad x and square user as well.

I recommend you buy the AE86 Trueno/Levin as your first car and I offer these reasons. It's well balanced but offers a hefty serving of understeer if youre not careful. In it's stock form it offers a weak platform to concentrate corner momentum with. I like to use it to get back to basics.

As for licenses.
I like to run through and get all the licenses and if I end up bronze then it's b ronze. I went back and worked on the weak tests later.


Good luck !!
 
Use the control config that you feel comfortable with.I use the joy sticks as I feel that I have more control of the car.All of the info that has been given is good advice but the main thing to remember is,DON'T get frustrated!The feel will come and as you learn the tracks,it will get easy.
 
Duke
I know this is going to sound boring, but my suggestion is to go take the first set of license exams, and practice until you get silver in all of them.

Thats what I do, if you can do the IA license asap in the game you can get the nismo 270r which would be a great help
 
3-Wheel Drive
I have to disagree with you, Duke, on controls. It can be very confusing for some people (myself included) to use both anaolog sticks, as one can get mixed up easily. I can get just as accurate throttle brake control with square / X, and those coupled with the d-pad or left stick is usually the best. I've gotton gold and sivler on every single license test and consider myself a good driver, and I use the buttons and the d-pad. Both can be very presise if use well. But two stick can be difficult for some.

As for a car, get a decent 4WD if you can afford it, they are the most forgiving for unskilleed drivers, and don't forget to get the licenses first!

I used to be able to use left stick and square/x in GT3 and it felt perfect. I can't drive at all with the controller, with any combination of sticks or buttons, in GT4. They ramped up the sensitivity a whole lot from 3 to 4.
 
Welcome to GTP! :)

Now, since you don't have a GT3 save, don't waste time trying to transfer credits/licenses.

Go do the B and A license test, on at least silver like Duke said, that will teach you how to get some basic techniques down. Use the Lupo car that you get in the B license test for the Lupo/FF/Sunday Cup. That'll get you started off nicely. If you don't feel like that, sell all of the prize cars that will give you some cash, and buy a decent Used Car. An '80's or 90's Sklyine never hurts, or an RX7.

Do as many races as you can, and as soon as you get your A license, do the Costa d'Arria Special Conditions race, that will give you the very reliable Cadillac Cien. Use that on the Costa d'Amalfi Special Conditions race and keep the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car. Do it again with the Cadillac Cien, and sell the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car for a cool 265,xxx credits :cool:. Get basically any car that you want, but I would get one of these: Ford GT, Mine's Skyline GT-R, or the AMUSE S2000 GT1. Do the Costa d'Amalfi race whenever you need some quick cash.

Another tip: Don't rely on B-Spec too much. Bob (The B-Spec driver, as he's called) isn't very reliable at first, he needs alot of practice to get good.

Good luck and have fun! :)👍
 
I started off with the '89 R32 Skyline GTS Type M. I don't know if it is the best, but I do well with it.

Also, if you win the Mitsubishi HSR-II Concept '89, you should keep it, 'cause its great! :)
 
welcome to GTplanet i personally would recommend to Mazada RX-7 (FC-J) it's a good all around car and won't be to hard to steer like 4WD and do what i did (if you want) get all u'r licences xcept S License>


Ciao
 
I did first license ( bronze) and sold my lupo ( which you can use later :crazy: ) and bought a used crx si. Then went and ran the honda 1 make races... good experience driving and good cash, and if you complete the trphy's , a nice lil civic race car as well.
 
Back