Need for Speed Heat Review: Hot in the City

I've been playing it extensively for the past three days and I agree, it is the best Ghost have done since the 2015 'reboot' (Haven't played Rivals much so I can't speak on that) It's enough to make you forget about Payback anyway.

As a homage to the NFS franchise, it stands rather well: the 80's Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches give off a slight vibe of the original pre-UG Need For Speeds, while the map feels similar in places to the Underground 2/Carbon maps at night. The 'Showdown' day races and Time Trials feel like classic ProStreet, although obviously not as varied as PS because of the singular location as opposed to all around the world. The night aspect is where it really 'heats' up (pardon the pun), as the Heat multiplier with the Rep you earn during the night dares you to go risky and do more consecutive night races and cop chases in order to unlock more parts. Those cops are a:censored:holes though, especially after Heat 3; it almost employs a stealth mechanic to stay out of sight of any cops while you try and get to your next race. The story is kinda cheesy but by no means as bland as Payback. The map in itself is quite interesting with plenty of twists and turns and things to do; and while the handling aspect is iffy at first, it's not a big deal once you either turn on the traction control or tune your car. It just takes getting used to.

The immersion and aesthetic of NFS feels like it's back. If you can catch it on a slight discount for Christmas, I recommend it.

General impression I'm getting from basically all review sources is that "It's better than Payback", which isn't really a high bar to begin with. That being said, this one does seem like a pretty fun game with nice ideas here and there, which is a pleasant surprise.

Maybe I'll pick it up next year; I already bought way too many games this year, and I'm not really looking to spend 79 CAD at yet another one at the moment. Especially not after I've already spent 68 CAD at Grid a month ago.

I like the game so far. My biggest issue is that there isn’t an option to remove the roofs on the 1st gen Miata, the MX-5, and S2000. 3 cars that were designed as roadsters from the factory. I’m just not understanding why this isn’t an option in this game. Why? Did they forget the option on these 3 cars?

General impression I'm getting from basically all review sources is that "It's better than Payback", which isn't really a high bar to begin with. That being said, this one does seem like a pretty fun game with nice ideas here and there, which is a pleasant surprise.

Maybe I'll pick it up next year; I already bought way too many games this year, and I'm not really looking to spend 79 CAD at yet another one at the moment. Especially not after I've already spent 68 CAD at Grid a month ago.
Better than payback It is, and It can’t be expressed in words on how Much better It is. I was sceptic to this game but after i have played for a few days. Its the best NFS game in years its up there with the very best of them.

I like the game so far. My biggest issue is that there isn’t an option to remove the roofs on the 1st gen Miata, the MX-5, and S2000. 3 cars that were designed as roadsters from the factory. I’m just not understanding why this isn’t an option in this game. Why? Did they forget the option on these 3 cars?

Probably they miss it due to the release schedule or something, the only car that got updated with removable roof is the Porsche 918 based on the phone app.

Better than Payback is pretty easy to do, just get rid of speedcards alone will make it a better game already. Heat seem to do more right decision and manage to capture the mood and style of Black Box NFS before it went bad, the whole game is pretty much a blender mix of all the best parts of the last 3 Ghost NFS with a improved driving physics that felt more like Most Wanted and Carbon.

I think I might have to buy this after I've exhausted my obsession over Death Stranding. I messed around with Rivals and 2015 for a couple weeks with a month of EA Access, this looks to combine the best of both of those. It seems like a good new alternative to Horizon since I don't have an Xbox. Maybe I'll get a gift card for Christmas and then I'll pick it up.

Yeah, I'm an old fart who played first NFS while being a teenager. That out of the way I think this is one of the best NFS since Pro Street (I really enjoyed that one) and surpasses Payback and 2015 by a country mile. I think the handling model is quite good since a long time, although it still has some issues, especially when deciding if you want to drift or go through a corner like a proper gent. Progression is really nice, graphics are sweet, sounds are spot on, customization is class of it's own (although not much of a step up since Payback). Miami feels like Miami. Or Palm city. Whatevs. It's just a nice game. 3,6. Not great not terrible. Accutally maybe a notch higher than 3,6 :)

Probably they miss it due to the release schedule or something, the only car that got updated with removable roof is the Porsche 918 based on the phone app.

i noticed that in the app as well.

Better than Payback is pretty easy to do, just get rid of speedcards alone will make it a better game already. Heat seem to do more right decision and manage to capture the mood and style of Black Box NFS before it went bad, the whole game is pretty much a blender mix of all the best parts of the last 3 Ghost NFS with a improved driving physics that felt more like Most Wanted and Carbon.

I got a month of EA Origin Access Premier to try Jedi: Fallen Order, but that also gives access to this, so I gave it a spin. Much to my surprise: a decent NFS game!

Back