Need for Speed Heat Won't Support Wheels (at Least at Launch)

Arcade racers don't need wheel support

need-for-speed-underground-20050215041238266.jpg

Not looking for a Sim racer, looking to drive a car with a steering wheel. Most cars in the real world have one.
most cars in the real world don't drive like need for speed. Im sorry but its not necessary and its not a deal breaker for probably 99% of the people buying arcade racers.

most cars in the real world don't drive like need for speed. Im sorry but its not necessary and its not a deal breaker for probably 99% of the people buying arcade racers.
Most cars in the real world don't drive like any video game car. Example: I can drive my 4 cars around a turn with brakes applied without it going straight off the road. And for us old folks that don't like using a controller to point a car in unrealist angles we want wheel support. As for myself I can't use a controller to point a car in the right direction. I got Burn out remastered for PS4 which wasn't remastered for the fact that it did not support a wheel, I know it is a very arcade game but I don't play it because I want to drive with a wheel because I'm too stupid to use a controller.

99% lol. Anyways, when nieces and nephews visit my place and they see my wheel pedal setup they lose their minds with excitement to try it out. They have little interest in playing any of my racing games with a controller.

99% lol. Anyways, when nieces and nephews visit my place and they see my wheel pedal setup they lose their minds with excitement to try it out. They have little interest in playing any of my racing games with a controller.
That might be the case but 99% of actual NFS players probably won’t even think about using a wheel. It’s a pure arcade game with very unrealistic physics (in a fun way) so it’s likely best optimised for controller use whether wheels are supported or not.

That might be the case but 99% of actual NFS players probably won’t even think about using a wheel. It’s a pure arcade game with very unrealistic physics (in a fun way) so it’s likely best optimised for controller use whether wheels are supported or not.
That may be true but sounds like an excuse to me, idk. However my mind is made up, Grid 2019 is now my arcade racing game of choice mainly because of the wheel support. It’s a shame because I loved NFS underground2 with a wheel way more than with a pad.

Why do I get the tingling feeling that the majority of people (99%?, maybe?) that say "wheels aren't necessary", either don't own or don't normally play w/ a wheel to begin with? I'm sorry, but if you've never played w/ a wheel, your opinion on the subject is mostly irrelevant to people that have & do.

Edit:
It’s a pure arcade game with very unrealistic physics (in a fun way) so it’s likely best optimised for controller use whether wheels are supported or not.

A game can be "optimized for controllers" and still offer great wheel support. People already showed NFS arcade cabinets above, & even Mario Kart has a wheel peripheral. DriveClub didn't have the most realistic physics, and neither does The Crew 2, and I enjoy them both w/ a wheel. Heck, The Crew 2 let's me drive boats, planes, hovercrafts, monster trucks, etc. w/ a wheel. All NFS has to do is cars. There's really no excuse.

Last edited:
Why do I get the tingling feeling that the majority of people (99%?, maybe?) that say "wheels aren't necessary", either don't own or don't normally play w/ a wheel to begin with? I'm sorry, but if you've never played w/ a wheel, your opinion on the subject is mostly irrelevant to people that have & do.
I don’t own a wheel yet but it’s something I’m really wanting to try. I understand wanting a wheel for games designed for it like AC, iRacing, RF2, GTS, F1 and even more casual stuff like GRID but I don’t understand how people are surprised that an arcade game with the types of physics that NFS is now known for doesn’t have wheel support .

I don’t own a wheel yet but it’s something I’m really wanting to try. I understand wanting a wheel for games designed for it like AC, iRacing, RF2, GTS, F1 and even more casual stuff like GRID but I don’t understand how people are surprised that an arcade game with the types of physics that NFS is now known for doesn’t have wheel support .
To me, it just makes it seem outdated. There's racing games that you can play with VR now.

People that play those games don't want to just play those types of games. It's nice to get away from the physics of a real car every once in a while. And as others have said, once you get a wheel it seems weird to transition back to a controller for one game. It's ultimately EAs loss.

Whether or not the game has realistic physics has little to do with whether or not it would be enjoyable with a wheel. Controller input and wheel inputs are not dependent on each other at all and can be optimized individually.

Have you ever played with a wheel if not like you're saying you don't know if a wheel would be good for NFS(any game).

I can see this thread already has turned into a gong show.

Ahh, gate keeping. The ultimate showing of sim racing fan maturity - that if you don't own a super serious sim racing set up, to shut up and sit down. Definitely not problematic or anything, and basically gate keeps opinions to those who plop down the money and the space for a sim racing set up.

Be real, people who are asking for wheel support in NFS Heat in particular - do you really want to experience the brake to drift handling model of Ghost's NFS games with a wheel, where you would most certainly be sawing at the wheel to get anywhere? I have a good feeling most of the hardcore sim racers that came into this thread would be complaining about it in a heartbeat. It's apparently a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario - except in this case, it's probably for the best and a good decision on EA's part.

I mean, yes, games can be optimized for pads and wheels. This is not one of those times though, considering the entire make up of Ghost's handling system for the NFS games. If this was Black Box's games, sure.

Ahh, gate keeping. The ultimate showing of sim racing fan maturity - that if you don't own a super serious sim racing set up, to shut up and sit down. Definitely not problematic or anything, and basically gate keeps opinions to those who plop down the money and the space for a sim racing set up.

Be real, people who are asking for wheel support in NFS Heat in particular - do you really want to experience the brake to drift handling model of Ghost's NFS games with a wheel, where you would most certainly be sawing at the wheel to get anywhere? I have a good feeling most of the hardcore sim racers that came into this thread would be complaining about it in a heartbeat. It's apparently a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario - except in this case, it's probably for the best and a good decision on EA's part.

I mean, yes, games can be optimized for pads and wheels. This is not one of those times though, considering the entire make up of Ghost's handling system for the NFS games. If this was Black Box's games, sure.
So clearly the assumption here is that everyone that owns a wheel is a Sim racer. Why does everyone keep going back to that?

To their point, why does anyone with a controller care if wheels are supported or not? Let the people who own wheels choose what they will and won't enjoy.

So clearly the assumption here is that everyone that owns a wheel is a Sim racer. Why does everyone keep going back to that?

...because if you do own a sim racing wheel, you are at the very least looking to get more out of your games then ones that don't have one? come on, this isn't hard to figure out in the slightest.

To their point, why does anyone with a controller care if wheels are supported or not? Let the people who own wheels choose what they will and won't enjoy.

I mean, I don't care if wheels are supported or not. I just find it absolutely hilarious and dumb that people are stomping their feet up and down saying that EA is bad for not offering wheel support, when it is almost a guarantee that those who do play with a wheel on Ghost's NFS games in particular will whine and complain that it doesn't feel good because of how Ghost's handling model for their NFS games works. So why are people huffing and puffing when EA (rightfully) doesn't see the point in adding wheel support because of this fact?

I mean, I don't care if wheels are supported or not.
Seem pretty opinionated for something you don't care about.

...because if you do own a sim racing wheel, you are at the very least looking to get more out of your games then ones that don't have one? come on, this isn't hard to figure out in the slightest.
Again with the sim racing. Mario cart has a wheel now. Not all wheels are designed for sim racing: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...n_officially-licensed_mario_kart_racing_wheel

And again, why can't someone with a wheel play sim games AND arcade games? As I mentioned before it's nice to get away from real physics every once in a while. Basically you're argument is the game is too crappy for a wheel, that's the funny part about all of this.

The fact that I can play Mario cart with a wheel, while shooting shells and plopping bananas on the ground tells me NFS is woefully behind in development when it comes to arcade games. The last NFS game sold under 500,000 copies, GT Sport is over 7 million. At least give people the option.

EA is just too lazy. I also hear there’s no cockpit view, is this also true?

Racing with a wheel makes racing games a heck of a lot more fun. I loved Crazy Taxi at arcades because the cabinet had a wheel, not so much on consoles because I didn’t own a wheel yet.
70370538-4F59-44B7-949A-B2AC22F6D96E.jpeg

I'm sorry, but if you've never played w/ a wheel, your opinion on the subject is mostly irrelevant to people that have & do.

That's a bizarre statement to make, their opinion is just as relevant as yours or anyone else's. Not everyone wants to mess about with a wheel and pedals just to sit down and have a blast on Need for Speed for 30 minutes, that doesn't mean their opinion is irrelevant.

I've got a wheel that I barely use because I have just as much fun playing most games with a pad unless they're a sim racer.

That's a bizarre statement to make, their opinion is just as relevant as yours or anyone else's. Not everyone wants to mess about with a wheel and pedals just to sit down and have a blast on Need for Speed for 30 minutes, that doesn't mean their opinion is irrelevant.

I've got a wheel that I barely use because I have just as much fun playing most games with a pad unless they're a sim racer.
This question still hasn't been answered:
How is this news relevant to someone who only owns a controller? Everyone is defaulting to this notion that once you get a wheel you only play sim racing games which is a random assumption.

I'm glad you can enjoy these games with a controller, but that doesn't mean everyone else with a wheel can.

Why are people posting Arcade Racing rigs that are clearly not relevant to gaming landscape with "There's a reason why these were so fun or popular" I don't know if you've noticed but uhh at the time 1) most of these racing games were only available at arcades 2) as time went on most people couldnt afford High end PCs or consoles to even run it and 3) Arcades were just more popular in general. We don't live in that era of gaming anymore im sorry. Even racing games were more successful in the early 2000s going to mids than shooters but its simply not the case anymore.
Im not saying that someone wanting wheel support in an arcade game is wrong for wanting that. I've owned a wheel for 3 years now so believe me a certain gate keeper above I get it, but Racing games has become a niche genre and wheels have become niches of said niche genre. So if an ARCADE GAME where the % of people that are perfectly fine with just a controller is higher that the likes of GT Sport and FORZA/Horizon combined then guess what, it is what it is. Its simply the landscape of Arcade racing games and no amount of non purchasers is going to put a dent in that games revenue.

Not sure if I'm said gatekeeper (not entirely sure what that is) but I'm done arguing.

Was really looking forward to playing this game with a wheel, it looked like it might recapture some of the NFS underground magic. Won't be buying it, or bothering to look in to any future NFS/ EA titles seen as how no wheel support is such an essential feature. Fortunately other arcade racing games do.

Not sure if I'm said gatekeeper (not entirely sure what that is) but I'm done arguing.

Was really looking forward to playing this game with a wheel, it looked like it might recapture some of the NFS underground magic. Won't be buying it, or bothering to look in to any future NFS/ EA titles seen as how no wheel support is such an essential feature. Fortunately other arcade racing games do.
I thought that the "gatekeeper" was the guy that was saying that 99% didn't need wheel support, I just thought he was mad because he didn't own a wheel! Would the person that used the phrase "gatekeeper" please explain to us stupid people in this thread.

Back