Need for Speed Heat Won't Support Wheels (at Least at Launch)

My motto is to use the correct equipment for the game.

Full on sims are obviously better with a wheel.

Simcades are a mix. For Race Driver GRID and GRID 2 I use a pad. But for GRID Autosport I used a wheel. Driveclub is an interesting one because for normal racing I use wheel, but for drift events I use a pad :lol:

Arcade racers are mostly a pad affair, EXCEPT if the game has been designed around a wheel first. Like the arcade cabinet racers people are posting. Outrun, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Wangan Midnight, Initial D - all are best played with a wheel. Home arcade racers like Burnout Paradise, Blur, Split/Second, Ridge Racer, Modnation and NFS - definitely better with pad for me. The only exception probably was NFS ProStreet and Shift, because those 2 are more sim based. It really doesn't make sense to force use a wheel for a game where the devs don't even optimise the physics and control systems for it.

You use a scalpel for surgery and a chainsaw to cut down a tree, not the other way round. At least that's my take on it. Everyone is welcome to their own preferences of course 👍

EDIT: Just remembered, I played NFS Carbon with tilt controls on Wii so that could be classified as a "wheel" (at least the movements are similar) and it felt pretty good. Though obviously Black Box era physics were more grippy and realistic than Criterion/Ghost's B2D.

Last edited:
I thought that the "gatekeeper" was the guy that was saying that 99% didn't need wheel support, I just thought he was mad because he didn't own a wheel! Would the person that used the phrase "gatekeeper" please explain to us stupid people in this thread.
If you're "stupid" (your use of the term not mine) then there's no point right. But anyways let me know when NFS starts plummeting in sales because it doesn't have wheel support at launch:tup:

If you're "stupid" (your use of the term not mine) then there's no point right. But anyways let me know when NFS starts plummeting in sales because it doesn't have wheel support at launch:tup:
It started in 2017 when they launched Payback without wheel support why do you think they added it?

To quote myself for context... The comment I made that has people in a fuss and labels ME the gatekeeper, is this???

I'm sorry, but if you've never played w/ a wheel, your opinion on the subject is mostly irrelevant TO PEOPLE that have & do.

Ahh, gate keeping. The ultimate showing of sim racing fan maturity - that if you don't own a super serious sim racing set up, to shut up and sit down. Definitely not problematic or anything, and basically gate keeps opinions to those who plop down the money and the space for a sim racing set up.

Do you want advice on driving a car from someone who has never driven one? Or marriage counseling from someone that 's never been married, and sees marriage as "useless" & "unnecessary"? The only "gatekeeping" going on, is controller players trying to impose their "wheels aren't necessary" views on people who'd like to play with a wheel. I don't follow...

Be real, people who are asking for wheel support in NFS Heat in particular - do you really want to experience the brake to drift handling model of Ghost's NFS games with a wheel, where you would most certainly be sawing at the wheel to get anywhere? I have a good feeling most of the hardcore sim racers that came into this thread would be complaining about it in a heartbeat. It's apparently a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario - except in this case, it's probably for the best and a good decision on EA's part.

Cruise'n USA had a double tap throttle to flip, brake to drift, model. Daytona USA had a drift model and 4-speed manual gear shifter. Sawing for control can add to the excitement and feels thrilling and fulfilling once mastered. Most games also allow for an adjustment to the degrees of rotation necessary for steering/countersteering. So "sawing" is only as dramatic as you desire. But see, that's still not relevant for NFS Heat, because BTD has been removed, and grip builds are said to be possible now (and more natural too)... so umm, yeah...

This next exchange is contradicting...

That's a bizarre statement to make, their opinion is just as relevant as yours or anyone else's. Not everyone wants to mess about with a wheel and pedals just to sit down and have a blast on Need for Speed for 30 minutes, that doesn't mean their opinion is irrelevant.

I've got a wheel that I barely use because I have just as much fun playing most games with a pad unless they're a sim racer.

This question still hasn't been answered:
How is this news relevant to someone who only owns a controller? Everyone is defaulting to this notion that once you get a wheel you only play sim racing games which is a random assumption.

I'm glad you can enjoy these games with a controller, but that doesn't mean everyone else with a wheel can.

It's not, apart from maybe informing them not to buy a wheel thinking it will work.

You first disagreed, then agreed that if they don't own a wheel, to a wheel owner desiring wheel support, their opinions aren't relevant... But w/e man. I play with both as well. Sometimes a wheel can be a chore, I agree. But that doesn't mean we should omit the opportunity for the immersion and control that comes from using them. More so, some people literally have hand injuries, mental conditions, etc. that make controller use difficult if not impossible to use. Again, EA is a big publisher, and Ghost Games is no indie dev company. These things should be a standard/norm by now.

My motto is to use the correct equipment for the game.

Full on sims are obviously better with a wheel.

Simcades are a mix. For Race Driver GRID and GRID 2 I use a pad. But for GRID Autosport I used a wheel. Driveclub is an interesting one because for normal racing I use wheel, but for drift events I use a pad :lol:

Arcade racers are mostly a pad affair, EXCEPT if the game has been designed around a wheel first. Like the arcade cabinet racers people are posting. Outrun, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Wangan Midnight, Initial D - all are best played with a wheel. Home arcade racers like Burnout Paradise, Blur, Split/Second, Ridge Racer, Modnation and NFS - definitely better with pad for me. The only exception probably was NFS ProStreet and Shift, because those 2 are more sim based. It really doesn't make sense to force use a wheel for a game where the devs don't even optimise the physics and control systems for it.

You use a scalpel for surgery and a chainsaw to cut down a tree, not the other way round. At least that's my take on it. Everyone is welcome to their own preferences of course 👍

I'd argue that blur & a modern Split Second would both be AMAZING w/ wheel support. And though I get what you were going for, sims and arcade racers are both played at home on your consoles or gaming PC. W/ wheel accessories licensed by Sony, Microsoft, etc., your tool of choice should be entirely up to you. Last I checked, Doctors weren't cutting down trees in a hospital, and lumberjacks aren't performing surgeries in the forest... Your "scalpel vs chainsaw" analogy was cute tho'. 2 points for effort.

Last edited:
You first disagreed, then agreed that if they don't own a wheel, to a wheel owner desiring wheel support, their opinions aren't relevant...

Nope, I said that their opinion is relevant regardless of wheel ownership, but the news itself isn't really relevant to those who only play on a pad. They can still have an opinion on something, and it's still a valid opinion!

As for them adding wheel support it sounds easy but in reality it's anything but. Yes, they are a big studio but if they've planned the project out to not support wheels then trying to add them in now would be a total pain. The officially supported wheels differ between consoles and getting them added in a way that doesn't feel awkward would take a while.

You don’t know how wrong you are there is plenty of people that dosen’t use wheels or care for it, and nfs is not exactly a game that is good with a wheel. You don’t need a wheel to have fun in a racing game.
If someone don't have a wheel its ok, but once you spent £200+ on a wheel you expect racing games to support it. Before I didn't care, but now I won't even look at racing game without wheel support, arcade or sim, no wheel no buy for me.

I played driveclub on the steering wheel it was garbage. Arcade racers never go with steering wheels at all.

Nope, I said that their opinion is relevant regardless of wheel ownership, but the news itself isn't really relevant to those who only play on a pad. They can still have an opinion on something, and it's still a valid opinion!

You're omitting the part about whom their opinions are relevant to. The lack of support isn't relative to them, so therefore their opinions aren't relative to us. My point is that everyone's entitled to their opinion, including those that want/desire wheel support. We're the ones being attacked here, so the I'll place down my Reverse card now on the "victimizing/gatekeeping" angle.

I played driveclub on the steering wheel it was garbage. Arcade racers never go with steering wheels at all.

Sounds more like to me, that you just suck w/ a wheel. I play DriveClub and DriveClub VR w/ a wheel, and it's exhilarating, precise, responsive, and blisteringly fast. The forcefeedback at 70% is great arcade fun. Evolution Studious nailed wheel support with this game and I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that the handling w/ a wheel is "garbage". I'm curious to know what wheel it is that you're using that makes you feel that way.

You're omitting the part about whom their opinions are relevant to. The lack of support isn't relative to them, so therefore their opinions aren't relative to us. My point is that everyone's entitled to their opinion, including those that want/desire wheel support. We're the ones being attacked here, so the I'll place down my Reverse card now on the "victimizing/gatekeeping" angle.

Sounds more like to me, that you just suck w/ a wheel. I play DriveClub and DriveClub VR w/ a wheel, and it's exhilarating, precise, responsive, and blisteringly fast. The forcefeedback at 70% is great arcade fun. Evolution Studious nailed wheel support with this game and I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that the handling w/ a wheel is "garbage". I'm curious to know what wheel it is that you're using that makes you feel that way.

I play gt sport and pc2 on a wheel and it feels much more better than driveclub

I play gt sport and pc2 on a wheel and it feels much more better than driveclub

Ok? I didn't know it was a competition? We're discussing wheels in arcade games. Particularly, the desire for them in NFS. The two games you mentioned are considered sims. But good for you man, to each their own I guess. Nothing wrong w/ preferring one over the other or liking/disliking all of them. I just think calling the wheel handling "garbage" is an exaggeration. Maybe it's simply the physics that you don't like? And that's the same whether you play wheel or controller.

Last edited:
If someone don't have a wheel its ok, but once you spent £200+ on a wheel you expect racing games to support it. Before I didn't care, but now I won't even look at racing game without wheel support, arcade or sim, no wheel no buy for me.
Good for you man but "expecting" ALL racing games to support wheel is ridiculous. Look for the games that have them and play them and dont play the ones that dont its that simple. A racing game not supporting wheel where its clearly not going to break the game or affect revenue doesn't make it bad game. Mario is literally the biggest racing game of all time and it doesn't have wheel support.

Good for you man but "expecting" ALL racing games to support wheel is ridiculous. Look for the games that have them and play them and dont play the ones that dont its that simple. A racing game not supporting wheel where its clearly not going to break the game or affect revenue doesn't make it bad game. Mario is literally the biggest racing game of all time and it doesn't have wheel support.
That's a good ideal except the games that support wheels don't care to say they do. Look at the back of any game and tell me if it supports a wheel? Us wheel owners think that if it's driving a car it should support a wheel. I have to wait or check forums to see if a game supports wheels, with NFS games you never know I think that only one of the NFS games still doesn't support one. So why don't they add it at launch instead of later on saying we might want to add wheel support to boast our sales!

I spent quite a lot money on my wheel setup and I want to use it. I will simply not buy any racing game without wheel support. I'm not saying you or anyone else can't enjoy it, but I know I won't. Since I own wheel, racing on pad is a waste of time for me, but I'd like to play NFS games...They don't want to implement it at launch then sadly I will spend my money elsewhere. No point wasting my time and money on IMO inferior way of playing games. And I really don't like Mario so I don't care since I'm not the target of most of Nintendo's IPs. And I think its not the best example for me since NFS is trying to emulate reality while Mario is childish, with racing dinosaurs and mushrooms..

Last edited:
mario-kart-racing-wheel-for-nintendo-switch-announcement1-2340x1106.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninten...icial-mario-kart-racing-wheel-for-switch/amp/

My wife hates racing games unless she can drive it with a wheel. She would love this upcoming NFS if it supported a wheel.

Mario kart is more fun with a wheel as well.
08DE33EE-5349-4AD1-9999-86A0FE06A306.jpeg

I guess ya'll win?? or something ?
I was ready to blindly buy this game before this article came out. Now this is $80 saved which sounds like a win to me. I tried to look for a silver lining, but there's nothing about this game that's going to make me push my steering wheel aside for it.

It was also eye opening to see how many people will defend a racing game not needing wheel support... On GT Planet of all websites. I don't understand why anyone would put their wheel aside for this franchise personally. But if that's your choice power to you.

If this game ends up being as bad as the last one I'll be all over that thread.

What surprises and frustrates me so much is that NFS seems like it's the only racing franchise left which still ships without wheel support. Seriously, is there any other modern racing franchise that doesn't even offer wheel support out of the box, whether or not it's optimized for them?

What surprises and frustrates me so much is that NFS seems like it's the only racing franchise left which still ships without wheel support. Seriously, is there any other modern racing franchise that doesn't even offer wheel support out of the box, whether or not it's optimized for them?

And they still omit interior views... Something even lesser brands & even sandbox games do... I don't get the pandering. Why does NFS get a pass on this all of the time? MCLA, The Crew, Horizon, DriveClub, GRiD, V-Rally, Gravel... heck, even GTA has a first-person perspective while driving. It makes NFS look like a joke by comparison. If this is still the case come PS5/Next-Box... You know what? No... It should've been done already. It's BS. Steering wheel support/cock-pit view should be standard by now...

Last edited:
That's a good ideal except the games that support wheels don't care to say they do. Look at the back of any game and tell me if it supports a wheel? Us wheel owners think that if it's driving a car it should support a wheel. I have to wait or check forums to see if a game supports wheels, with NFS games you never know I think that only one of the NFS games still doesn't support one. So why don't they add it at launch instead of later on saying we might want to add wheel support to boast our sales!
So: It's time to try and boast NFS Heat sales!

Here comes the sim racers...:lol:

Still have money left over from a Best Buy gift card, hoping to see some reviews of how the wheels work, but I might just jump on this bandwagon.

Here comes the sim racers...:lol:

Still have money left over from a Best Buy gift card, hoping to see some reviews of how the wheels work, but I might just jump on this bandwagon.
Best Buy price 59.99 non-deluxe, PS Store 41.99 deluxe edition. So you might want to buy a PS card with your BB gift card.

I just played it on the wheel and it is pretty fun!!! You have settings where you can adjust the forcefeed back

In the game I usually use hand brake. This game needs to make us reassign the buttons.

I want to use my thrustmaster shifter as the handbrake.

Best Buy price 59.99 non-deluxe, PS Store 41.99 deluxe edition. So you might want to buy a PS card with your BB gift card.
I'll check, but I doubt Best Buy would want me to buy another gift card with their gift card. Plus it's on sale for $49.99 in my area. So I'll end up paying $15 for this game which sounds good to me!

I just played it on the wheel and it is pretty fun!!! You have settings where you can adjust the forcefeed back

In the game I usually use hand brake. This game needs to make us reassign the buttons.

I want to use my thrustmaster shifter as the handbrake.
Glad to hear! Any signs of glitches?

Back