Need for Speed Payback Won't Feature Toyota Road Cars Either

So what's the best conspiracy theory then? Kaz doing some dirty work? :)
I doubt it considering the also production vehicle they have is the same one that seems to be shared throughout the other games.

The best theory is that Toyota isn't happy with it's cars being modified in games and has pulled the plug on licensing its road cars. GTS and pCARS 2 obviously got Toyota road cars licensed before this all happened.
They only got one production road car though, that's it. Them and Pcars. I'm not sure its a customization issue.

Could Toyota be peeved that racing game devs pretty much only want the GT86 in terms of new, marketable vehicles, while plundering their history for anything else?

Could Toyota be peeved that racing game devs pretty much only want the GT86 in terms of new, marketable vehicles, while plundering their history for anything else?

That is probably it. Of course, in that case, this entire tantrum is self inflicted.

Toyota are responding to the heat coming their way on Twitter.... Kind of.

The question was formed in a way making it seem like there was no sort of Toyota present. Should have asked why they're lacking in production vehicles in recent games. They're featured in most any game coming out, but production vehicles in general are missing.

Toyota are responding to the heat coming their way on Twitter.... Kind of.

And a complete non answer at that.

Then again, I don't know why people would be asking some social media intern about this, they don't know eff all, and even if they did, why would they say anything?

Well...Toyota will also be in Gravel by Milestone.

Still wish there were games that still went beyond the Chaser, Supra, and AE86 for Toyotas. Been thinking about it with games like Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Sega GT.

Still wish there were games that still went beyond the Chaser, Supra, and AE86 for Toyotas. Been thinking about it with games like Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Sega GT.

But lets be honest, what else is there? Sure, for automotive weeaboos, there's a lot from earlier Toyota history like the Sports 600 and the Corolla SR5, but when it comes to what people want, it's usually the Supra, AE86, Celica, 2000GT.

That's probably because they mentioned that they specifically locked out production vehicles, not race vehicles based off production vehicles. They specified production vehicles for Forza, yet we have Toyota race cars available.

But lets be honest, what else is there? Sure, for automotive weeaboos, there's a lot from earlier Toyota history like the Sports 600 and the Corolla SR5, but when it comes to what people want, it's usually the Supra, AE86, Celica, 2000GT.
The only other new performance Toyota road car that's on the way (Mk5 Supra excluded) is the Yaris GRMN.
toyota-yaris-grmn-hot-hatch-joins-facelift-and-wrc-race-car-in-geneva-115975_1.jpg

There's the MR2 and the Lexus lineup. (GS-F, IS-F, LFA, RC-F, IS300, SC300)

I probably am one of those "weeaboos" with the Toyotas that I'd like to see in games. Though there's so many people I know of asking for popular drift chassis Toyotas alongside the already popular Nissans. I was thinking of cars like the Mark II, Cresta, Verossa, Altezza, Celsior, Crown, Aristo, and Soarer.

Yet, again, you're the only one restricting it to a time frame. So yeah, its your preference, but not entirely relevant to what was being said. That they don't make them currently is neither here nor there.

*facepalm*

You're missing the point. I drew attention to the use of present tense in a question about what Toyota makes [as in currently] because it was answered by someone who referenced cars that have long been out of production. Toyota doesn't make those cars anymore. I was drawing attention to that fact because it is relevant to who Toyota is as a brand. They used to be cool. Now it appears, for whatever reason, that they are party-poopers.

ummm Supra, Celica, GT86, AE86?

ummmmm, I'm pretty sure he was joking...

If that was the case, then why is Toyota pretty much shutting out Microsoft as well when it comes to production cars? The only race cars of note for FM7 are Iron Man Stewart's baja truck, the Eagle MK.III, the TS040, and the TS020.

This absolutely reeks of Toyota shooting themselves in the foot. Believe me, if there was a backdoor Microsoft deal in place, people would spot it right away, and there'd be a whole hell of a lot of noise considering we're going right back to the reductive business practices of Porsche and EA.

It sounds more like two Japanese companies colluding together (well three actually If you count both Sony and Polyphony)... It is very common practice in Japan to try to keep thing in their own back yard... Considering there has been no mention of Toyota not being in GT Sport I would wager to guess that's the case... The one problem with my "theory" is Project Cars 2. Perhaps they already had their deal in place before Sony/Polyphony/Toyota pulled a EA/Porsche and screwed the rest of the gaming world out of being able to drive their cars. It wouldn't surprise me though. I'm not saying that I believe it 100% (not even 60% actually, lol...) but I could see it going down. We are talking about the company (Sony) that claims they're for foe "gamers" yet refuse to play nice with Microsoft or Nintendo when it comes to cross-platform online multiplayer. Their are other business practices coming out of Japan that play out in an unfair way... Just ask the North American car industry (Japan: Hey will you let us sell our cars and manufacture them in your country? USA: Sure! No problem! USA: Hey do you think you can let us get in on selling our cars in your country? Japan: I no speak english... Please go away...). Anyway, it makes for fun and interesting conversation...

Last edited by a moderator:
When MS first announced the lack of Toyota road cars in Forza 7, someone on Reddit claimed that Toyota no longer wanted their cars to be customized/altered in games.

Now that we know NFS Payback won't have Toyotas either, this claim is becoming more believable (though still not officially proven), given that Toyota is present in GT Sport, PCars2, and Assoluto Racing, games that don't have deep customization options.

No Toyota seems like "Payback" for their 16 year Porsche Licence.

How does excluding their Road cars from Two franchises count as "Payback" for the business action of one Publisher?

When MS first announced the lack of Toyota road cars in Forza 7, someone on Reddit claimed that Toyota no longer wanted their cars to be customized/altered in games.

Now that we know NFS Payback won't have Toyotas either, this claim is becoming more believable (though still not officially proven), given that Toyota is present in GT Sport, PCars2, and Assoluto Racing, games that don't have deep customization options.
The marketing manager for Project CARS 2 also mentioned that Toyota doesn't want their production cars to be customised anymore.

It is probably just a dumb move from a Executive or group. That decision could be they want a dlc deal down the line and/or just a lame attempt to rebranding. I would not get to worried. Maybe they want to time it with some Supra or new Grim grrm tuner news ( what ever it's new name is).
On a side note my 91 mr2 may have been my favorite car. I have had Crx, 91 camaro, mr2, 4wsi prelude, g35 all of which were pretty fun though.

I doubt any exclusivity deals are in place, pCARS 2 still has the road going GT86 and a range of Toyotas have been added to Assoluto Racing recently.

PCARS 2 has a bit more than just the road going GT86:

2013 GT-86 (road G)
2013 86 (road G) (= LHD version of the GT86)
2015 GT-86 Rocket Bunny Street (= tuned version of GT86, road C)
2015 GT-86 Rocket Bunny GT4 (= fictional GT4 spec version that runs in the GT4 class)
1998 GT-One (GT1 class)
1999 GT-One (LMP900 class)
TS040 Hybrid 2014 (LMP1 class)

There are 2 possible reasons that make sense to me:

1) From the rumors over at Forza it was said that Toyota didn't like their cars to be "modified" in games (not sure if that means upgrading or painting). In PCARS2 you cannot upgrade cars (only tune them) and at least on consoles you cannot paint them either. So that could be a reason they still have the license. Maybe Toyota's request for Forza and NFS was that cars would not be able to be modified anymore in those games and Microsoft didn't agree on that and hence there was no agreement. That could be the reason why Toyota answers "ask Microsoft" as to why almost no Toyota cars are in FM7 anymore. Similar requests do happen you know, if you look at the Ferrari's in Real Racing 3 there are limited to painting options compared to other cars. That Audi Sport quattro in Dirt 4 is the only car that can only be raced with the standard racing livery and not the monotome colors like all other cars. Chevrolet demanded at Turn 10 to remove the "SS" logos from all the cars and that the name was changed for example to Chevrolet Nova Super Sport instead of Chevrolet Nova SS.

2) Another reason could be that Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 simply signed the license deal with Toyota earlier, before they started acting difficult. Assetto Corsa already exists from 2014 on PC if I'm not mistaken and PCARS 2 got announced spring 2015. Since Toyota was still in FH3 (release september 2016) and the 1992 Toyota Supra 2.0 GT Twin Turbo still made it in as a DLC car in December 2016. So Toyota's new license restrictions are fairly new. Dan Greenwald (Turn 10) once said it takes about 6 months to make a car from scratch to completed so that 1992 Supra must have been fairly new and designed somewhere early/mid 2016. If Toyota changed their mind around that time, it makes sense PCARS2 and Assetto Corsa already had their deals signed.

One thing I find really weird is that the GT-One and TS040 aren't in FM7 anymore either, same for the WTCC Avensis. The only car to return from FM6 to FM7 is the NASCAR Camry but that's most likely since it's licensed via NASCAR and not via Toyota. So some race cars have been cut as well, not just road cars.

Since Lexus is not in FM7 anymore either I expect the same will happen with NFS PB.

Whatever the reason behind it I'm curious to see how it all evolves in the future when new games are released in 2018 and later. I sure hope it can be sorted out with Toyota in the future, a game like FM7 just doesn't feel complete with a big iconic manufacturer missing and in NFS 2015 Toyota was a big brand as well.

Last edited:

I don't think that is the reason. They could just limit the customization options for Toyota and it wouldn't be a problem anymore. Unless the lack of customization is a deal-breaker for both Turn 10 and whoever-is-doing-NFS-now.

Well ya know, they did make the infamous Supra that we've all come to know and love. And also the beloved cars in various games like the:
-MR2
-AE86
-Soarer
-Chaser

I can go on

In my opinion, if you love the MR2 you should probably check into some sort of asylum. What a seriously terrible car!

In my opinion, if you love the MR2 you should probably check into some sort of asylum. What a seriously terrible car!
I'm not sure if you're aware of how many people you just checked off as mentally ill (me being one of them).

Disliking a car is one thing, but then proceeding to claim everyone as mental who enjoys said disliked car is just conscending. Come on, dude.

What does them being vehicles of the past have to do with what was said? No one but yourself is restricting it to only current vehicles.
The question was about what cars Toyota make (present tense) that's what all about... they don't make cars with soul anymore.

I mean, if this is just simply a case that Toyota doesn't want their Road Cars in video games anymore, that is their right I guess. It's disappointing and frustrating sure, many great cars like the Supra and Celica absent from games.

But let's not over react and pretend the car game genre is doomed because of this (Not aimed at anyone just saying).

Whatever the issue is hopefully it can get resolved for future games.

I don't think that is the reason. They could just limit the customization options for Toyota and it wouldn't be a problem anymore. Unless the lack of customization is a deal-breaker for both Turn 10 and whoever-is-doing-NFS-now.

I do think limiting customization would be a deal-breaker for those game developers. Customization is almost on equal footing with the actual racing in terms of what NFS is predicated on. It would be weird to have all sorts of cars with deep customization options and then have Toyotas with nothing. Let's just say that if I was in charge of NFS I wouldn't allow it. I'd rather keep them out of the game altogether.

I can't buy the argument with them not wanting their cars modified because it's been well over 20 years and it seems out of place for them to just go, "we're tired of all the Takumi reps, please go ruin something else."

Was there a change in management or marketing at Toyota HQ because saying no to games they've had a established relationship with makes no sense.

If HONDA was able to get over their, "no Hondas in police-oriented games" mentality, then what Toyota is doing is seriously disconnected.

Last edited:
Was there a change in management or marketing at Toyota HQ because saying no to games they've had a established relationship with makes no sense.

This is something I am also curious about. I simply cannot grasp what would make Toyota after all these years allowing their Road cars to be customized in a whole host of ways to suddenly be the Manufacterer that doesn't allow it anymore.

Of course as silly as the thing about them not wanting the cars to be modified is, you can't help but notice the games they are still in do not contain options where you can equip them with Rear wings, diveplanes, spoilers or anything (and ironically enough, they also contain tuned versions of the lone GT 86, with the Rocket Bunny car in PCARS 2 and the GRMN GT 86 in GT Sport).

This is something I am also curious about. I simply cannot grasp what would make Toyota after all these years allowing their Road cars to be customized in a whole host of ways to suddenly be the Manufacterer that doesn't allow it anymore.

Of course as silly as the thing about them not wanting the cars to be modified is, you can't help but notice the games they are still in do not contain options where you can equip them with Rear wings, diveplanes, spoilers or anything (and ironically enough, they also contain tuned versions of the lone GT 86, with the Rocket Bunny car in PCARS 2 and the GRMN GT 86 in GT Sport).

Yes I agree. The "we suddenly don't like customization" excuse doesn't add up.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I seriously don't think I can do this NFS without an 8-6 or a Supra. It's just...wrong. A game so focused on tuning and with such a good representation of the import scene, it's ridiculous not to include Toyota. I wish they'd tell us what the heck was going on with Toyota road cars...hopefully this won't be an ongoing trend. And I don't buy that "we don't like modding" thing for a second. That's too easy I think.

I really don't care if Toyota don't make great road cars anymore. The 86 is the only good thing they've got for now and while we're banking on this new Supra, that could go anywhere. Seriously Toyota have some of the best legacy cars out there, and I really think it's sad that I won't be driving them in NFS and messing them up the way I like. I really want another reason to get this, but for now I just don't care. This news killed the hype for me I think.

Back