Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 751 comments
The game's cover car belongs to, and one of the characters in it is, A$AP Rocky. Have a dig into his valuable contributions to society.
Fair enough, but Kanye does make alot of people look like angels when compared to him,anyway don't want to derail anymore, it's all i have to say

I was very happy with the physics and tuning options for different driving tasks like grip, drift ect. in NFS Heat and as long i dont have to drift around corners at 150mph+ in "Criterion Style" to be fast i would be happy with Unbound and the tiny bits gameplay we have got do not look like that at all to me :)
IMO the brake to drift from NFS Rivals, 2015 or Payback is really bad. Didn't suit the scenario and mainly, it was not satisfactory on its own. Other versions of this style of gameplay have been incredibly well built, like Burnout 1-Paradise and Driver San Francisco.

The truth is, the arcade genre has been dumbed down over the years in the physics department. GTAIV to GTAV. Grid Autosport to GRID 2019. EA Canada and Black Box NFS to Criterion/Ghost/Criterion nfs. Dirt 1-2-3 and Dirt 5. Devs have more and more some kind of fear to make reasonably realistic physics for arcade racers.

IMO the brake to drift from NFS Rivals, 2015 or Payback is really bad. Didn't suit the scenario and mainly, it was not satisfactory on its own. Other versions of this style of gameplay have been incredibly well built, like Burnout 1-Paradise and Driver San Francisco.

The truth is, the arcade genre has been dumbed down over the years in the physics department. GTAIV to GTAV. Grid Autosport to GRID 2019. EA Canada and Black Box NFS to Criterion/Ghost/Criterion nfs. Dirt 1-2-3 and Dirt 5. Devs have more and more some kind of fear to make reasonably realistic physics for arcade racers.
GTA IV to GTA V was boat on wheels to enjoyable arcade.

GTA IV is way more realistic that what people think. Most cars you see on the street will look exactly like that under pressure. And the lack of understeer in GTA V makes the driving unchallenging. It is fun, but nowhere near as rewarding and involving as GTA IV.

I understand they did it to appeal a broader audience, but man, what a waste.

It looks like we're getting Versace! This is pretty cool, I'm hoping for more fashion house reveals. I want a Moschino shirt.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for more fashion house reveals
There was some more yesterday, but I didn't do a thing on it because I didn't have the time.

The list was ALPHA Industries, AWGE, Born x Raised, Brain Dead, Champion, Danielle Guizio, EDWIN, FILA, GCDS, KHRISJOY, MKI MIYUKI ZOKU, Namilia. NAPAPIJIRI, Palace, Puma, Vans and Versace.

Puma and Namilia will be making real-world items too, so they're designing things for the game but then also making a "capsule collection" of them in reality.

Namilia has some... interesting designs. Make sure you're not on a work computer or around the easily pearl-clutchy if you Google it...

I saw the Namilia reveal, their clothes and accessories aren't to my liking but they are at least very interesting. I had no idea about the others though, there are some great names in that list that might be cool to see in the game.

Devs have more and more some kind of fear to make reasonably realistic physics for arcade racers.
What?

If it's an arcade racer then why would someone put "reasonably realistic" physics in it. Gran Turismo has reasonably realistic physics. Modern NfS games have gravity and friction, and that's about where the realism ends. The whole point of an arcade racer is that it has physics that are not realistic.

Devs don't have a fear of putting realistic physics in, they just know what you don't seem to comprehend - that a game with reasonably realistic physics isn't an arcade racer. If you want "reasonably realistic physics", maybe don't play arcade racers?

I..... i just don't get it. Is this a car game or a fashion modeling game?

I think it's time for me to stop paying attention to this game until after it comes out

Nothing against those who are into this stuff, but honestly, big fashion brands (that i couldn't care less about) instead of brand name aftermarket car stuff?!?

Also, of the brands i recognize, i don't exactly think much of. Along with the cover model/celebrity character in the game.

This game is clearly not for me......

Why instead of? It's not a binary choice, they can add both.

They can, but considering the trend over the last couple games i wont hold my breath.

Like i said, i am obviously to old and not interested in the things i should be to care about this game. I just want to personalize cars and race them.

To be clear, i do hope that those who are looking forward to this game get a solid experience that they enjoy. It just seems to be increasingly clear that i will (probably) not be one of those people.

Also, it's EA, I have zero faith in them making a product i want. Nfs games were the only thing left i cared about, and that has been a shrinking amount over the past 2-3 games.

It's me, i know it and admit it.

Also, it's EA, I have zero faith in them making a product i want. Nfs games were the only thing left i cared about, and that has been a shrinking amount over the past 2-3 games.

I somewhat agree with you, I felt very let down by Heat and slowly the games have felt more and more same-y with very little in terms of innovation. I'm holding off purchasing Unbound until I've seen a few people playing it and the user reviews have come in.

The list was ALPHA Industries, AWGE, Born x Raised, Brain Dead, Champion, Danielle Guizio, EDWIN, FILA, GCDS, KHRISJOY, MKI MIYUKI ZOKU, Namilia. NAPAPIJIRI, Palace, Puma, Vans and Versace.
The year is 2022.
Racing games have more fashion brands in the game than car brands.
The name of the game is Need for Fashion Unbound

💩

kjb
I saw Namilia's Instagram page and I was shocked EA signed this company
My reaction:
high quality GIF

I think it's time for me to stop paying attention to this game until after it comes out

Nothing against those who are into this stuff, but honestly, big fashion brands (that i couldn't care less about) instead of brand name aftermarket car stuff?!?
There's nothing wrong with adding other things into a car game. We're on a Gran Turismo forum, and one could rightly ask if Gran Turismo is a car game or a photography game at the moment. There seems to be more Scapes content in the updates than just about anything else.

There's more than enough games out there that are pure driving if that's what you want. It's not much surprise that developers are looking for new things to add to a car game to spice it up and expand the appeal to new audiences. That's how we got Forza Horizon, and it's great.

I'm not terribly into fashion but I've played enough FFXIV to know that playing dress ups is more fun than it looks, so I'll not write the game off on that alone. If it's sufficiently uninteresting to you that you don't want to play at all then so be it, but I don't get how it is so baffling to you that a game would choose to combine car "fashion" with human fashion. Because all those car mods that are primarily there for aesthetic are just car fashion.

While Gran Turismo does it's best to ignore that the driver even exists it's not a big leap to think that the driver should be given as much respect in-game as the car they drive, and that there might be gameplay value in being able to dress up both your car and the driver. At least as much gameplay as pretending you're a photographer taking photos of fancy cars around the world.

There's nothing wrong with adding other things into a car game. We're on a Gran Turismo forum, and one could rightly ask if Gran Turismo is a car game or a photography game at the moment. There seems to be more Scapes content in the updates than just about anything else.

There's more than enough games out there that are pure driving if that's what you want. It's not much surprise that developers are looking for new things to add to a car game to spice it up and expand the appeal to new audiences. That's how we got Forza Horizon, and it's great.

I'm not terribly into fashion but I've played enough FFXIV to know that playing dress ups is more fun than it looks, so I'll not write the game off on that alone. If it's sufficiently uninteresting to you that you don't want to play at all then so be it, but I don't get how it is so baffling to you that a game would choose to combine car "fashion" with human fashion. Because all those car mods that are primarily there for aesthetic are just car fashion.

While Gran Turismo does it's best to ignore that the driver even exists it's not a big leap to think that the driver should be given as much respect in-game as the car they drive, and that there might be gameplay value in being able to dress up both your car and the driver. At least as much gameplay as pretending you're a photographer taking photos of fancy cars around the world.

All good and valid points. I don't mean to sound like i disagree, necessarily. It's just that with this specific game, i am feeling like i am to old and not interested in youth/hip hop culture. So i don't think this game is meant for me. That's really all I've been trying to say the whole time.

I know this is a me problem

The year is 2022.
Racing games have more fashion brands in the game than car brands.
The name of the game is Need for Fashion Unbound

💩
That should tell you how much auto companies value video games as an advertising channel these days, especially since so many have just pulled out of motorsports entirely and want to be more seen as "mobility companies" now.

All good and valid points. I don't mean to sound like i disagree, necessarily. It's just that with this specific game, i am feeling like i am to old and not interested in youth/hip hop culture. So i don't think this game is meant for me. That's really all I've been trying to say the whole time.

I know this is a me problem
I am not into youth/hip-hop culture either but I am interested in the game because I am a fan of the series. I am going to wait to buy though

The whole point of an arcade racer is that it has physics that are not realistic.
Disagree. The point of an arcade racer can be many, from offering ludicrous quick action with no care for realism (Burnout 3) to accesible handling model with a certain depth to it. I think there is a lack of games like Driveclub or what NFS was in the 90's.

It's a discussion you can see in many genres, maybe it's even a trend of the industry as it grows and gets a bigger audience. So yeah, I completely disagree it's a matter of me not knowing what an arcade racer is or supossed to be. I definetly wouldn't try to state that an arcade racer should be certain way, but the industry is siding with a particular style because money.

I think there is a lack of games like Driveclub or what NFS was in the 90's.
That's why the terms sim-cade and sim-lite exist. There is a spectrum from pure arcade to pure sim. It's why you get people making pictures like this.

1667672626835.png

This is not controversial. This has been how these types of games have been categorised for decades, and if you go into the Gran Turismo forums you'll see endless discussion on whether a given version of GT is a full simulation or only sim-lite.

If you want to make up your own definition of what "arcade" is then I can't stop you. But most people find that having fairly solid definitions of what these terms mean is useful when discussing and comparing games. And the definition for arcade games is that the physics exist purely to serve the gameplay and any resemblance to real life physics is mostly incidental.

That doesn't mean that the physics can't be accessible or deep. Depth has nothing to do with realism. Trackmania has incredible depth, and it's pure arcade.

Credit to ViperConcept for the above chart. I don't necessarily agree with all his placements, but it's a clear example of a concept you obviously haven't come across before.
The point of an arcade racer can be many, from offering ludicrous quick action with no care for realism (Burnout 3) to accesible handling model with a certain depth to it.
And what separates the way those games do their thing compared to simulations? How realistic the physics are. You're talking about gameplay. The gameplay is a by-product of the physics, for racing games at least.
So yeah, I completely disagree it's a matter of me not knowing what an arcade racer is or supossed to be. I definetly wouldn't try to state that an arcade racer should be certain way, but the industry is siding with a particular style because money.
Disagree if you like. You're still wrong. It's not about stating that an arcade racer should be a certain way, it's the fact that the term "arcade racer" exists to describe a certain type of game. If a game is a certain way, it's an arcade racer. If it's not, it's not.

If Unbound ends up being like Driveclub or Forza Horizon to drive, it'll probably get labelled as a sim-cade. That's why you saying "devs have more and more some kind of fear to make reasonably realistic physics for arcade racers" is just silly. You can't put reasonably realistic physics in arcade games, because if you do it's not an arcade game.

This is basic use of language. It's like saying that you don't understand why Toyota doesn't make more black cars that are coloured yellow. These things are fundamentally not compatible, it's one or the other.

This is not controversial. This has been how these types of games have been categorised for decades

The mentioned terms are not specified and beeing a ruleset the world of software developers have agreed to, follow or build their games in a specific way because such "rule set" does not exist. Everyone can make such picture to their own interpretation of what sim, arcade etc is. So why should we care ? The whole arcade, sim discussion is pointless imo.

For me personally every game is a simulation that uses a physics engine that uses real world values, the devs use real world car data to recreate the cars real performance and also having a car setup and telemetry that have/show realistic values/data. And thats all that matters for me. Having the option to turn damage off and throw a Lambo with 200Kmh through some woods and fields has nothing to do with the core physics engine and does not make a game arcade. This means for me Forza Games are simulations and i know that 90% people think/see them as acrade and i do not discuss whith those people anymore, I did that for way too long and wasted my time :D

Last edited:
I’m just now watching The Bad Guys. Cool animation and with opening car chase, NFS should look like this movie.

New gameplay trailer for the "Takeover" game mode:

Pretty much seems to be a re-introduction of Speedcross from Payback. Now, I personally enjoyed Speedcross, so I don't hate it, but this reveal, as well as the accompanying "article" is a bit of a nothingburger. Hopefully the Under The Hood article on Friday gives a bit more away.

Still hate that it's called "Takeover," though.

Also, of the brands i recognize, i don't exactly think much of. Along with the cover model/celebrity character in the game.

This game is clearly not for me......
Instantly reminded me of this golden video about EA's new standards in racing games

But yeah, NFS Unbounded reeks of red flags. This time, I'm not even giving it a chance. I'm not paying for 4th reskin of NFS 2015 with questionable additions and design choices. Everything, from the tuning options and core gameplay to style and "stars" is just ridiculous. It'll be given away for free on PS plus in a year anyway, if not sooner...

It's so sad to see this infinite stagnation and laziness in games theese days. GT7 counts too. Maybe the new nfs is just not built for me, but I remember what a real passionate game looks and feels like, and how exciting it should be...

Disagree. The point of an arcade racer can be many, from offering ludicrous quick action with no care for realism (Burnout 3) to accesible handling model with a certain depth to it. I think there is a lack of games like Driveclub or what NFS was in the 90's.

It's a discussion you can see in many genres, maybe it's even a trend of the industry as it grows and gets a bigger audience. So yeah, I completely disagree it's a matter of me not knowing what an arcade racer is or supossed to be. I definetly wouldn't try to state that an arcade racer should be certain way, but the industry is siding with a particular style because money.
When Driveclub got announced.

So many racing fans especially the open world crowd constantly slagged it off by calling it boring

The arguments I saw was why is it track racing, where is my customisation and tuning and where is my open world.

If anybody played Test Drive, 90s NFS and PGR were fans of them actually loved Driveclub because it brought that era back.

Driveclub was not without its flaws but it was an enjoyable game.

Thats why Driveclub, Pgr, 90s NFS and Test drive wont survive in this day.

Lets hope Test Drive Solar Crown can bring back that TDU 1 magic not be another horizon clone.

Last edited:
Back