Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 750 comments
Thx but i think I'm fine with how it is ingame so i do not care :P
It's probably the only complaint I have at the moment (other than degrading performance over time), and it's no show-stopper for me either, so I guess it's a sign the game is pretty decent.

The race rewards at lower levels feel like they need to be tweaked a little to me. I'm in the middle of week 2 and so far I haven't been able to do much to my cars in terms of visual mods because I'm having to spend every single little bit of cash on performance upgrades and upgrading the garage. I'm winning the races with side bets on top, too.

Speaking of which the garage upgrade is one of the most useless features I've ever come across in a game. Just make the higher end parts a bit more expensive or, if it's a progression issue, tie it to the career progression. I don't understand why we have to spend loads of money to unlock higher end parts to then have to buy them anyway.

EDIT: While I'm ranting, wheels (and tyres) should be sold as a full set too. If I buy some wheels for the front those same wheels should be available on the rears for free with an option to "fit to all" the moment I purchase any.

Last edited:
What's the requirement? I'm using my Exige for racing and my 240Z for drift and showcase events, but I was hoping to use the Exige for the Qualifier too!
A 160 I believe it was. I was in the Exige which I bumped up to 210 or something and the first race threw me in the Foxbody. :grumpy:

Now that I think about it, the Mustang is A 162 (because I haven't touched it)...so what gives?

Not being able to sell parts and the career being not too gracious with credits means you can totally find out your car doesn't work for the qualifier.....in the friggin' qualifier itself. Ask me how I know. :lol:

I was easily winning in the first two, but the third one kicked my arse when using my Boss 302. So had to switch to my Evo, which I had specced for the tier below the one for Q3 (A+). Respecced my 302 for A+ (was S) and respecced the Evo to S. Cost me a lot of money and having to repeat Friday.
Sounds like I'm in for a blast then. :P

A 160 I believe it was. I was in the Exige which I bumped up to 210 or something and the first race threw me in the Foxbody. :grumpy:

Now that I think about it, the Mustang is A 162 (because I haven't touched it)...so what gives?
The Qualifiers have a limit on the car class that can be used in them, just like the daily events. Week 1 is A-class, week 2 is A+ etc. The game will automatically switch to the highest rated valid car for the race if you select it and you're not already in the correct class, I believe that's what happened with your Qualifier (assuming this was during the 1st week).

For those with the game...how does the world stack up against Payback and Heat?

I thought Payback had a pretty decent and alive feeling world whereas Heat felt pretty dead and billboardy. Didn't help that the traffic in Heat was very sporadic...the game overall felt like Miami after the zombie apocalypse. :lol:

For those with the game...how does the world stack up against Payback and Heat?

I thought Payback had a pretty decent and alive feeling world whereas Heat felt pretty dead and billboardy. Didn't help that the traffic in Heat was very sporadic...the game overall felt like Miami after the zombie apocalypse. :lol:
I personally think the world feels more alive compared to either of those 2 games, and that is mainly helped by the presence of pedestrians. Having more detailed foilage and activities you can complete along your journey (like in Heat) also helps.

Traffic has seen a slight boost over the previous games, especially in the metropolitan area, but you certainly wouldn't be wishing for more obstacles when trying to shake off Heat level 5 cops. :scared:

Completed career on Challenging. Some tough races in there, but managed in the end. End game is the same map, with same type of events, oh and you can replay the car collections.

Y'know, at first I thought those Snapchat filter effects around the cars were going to be annoying and distracting, but since I'm always looking ahead of my own car I barely even notice them during a race. In fact they're actually kinda helpful at times since it's helping me notice when the AI cars are using their nitrous.

They REALLY need to tone down or get rid of that massive seizure flash that happens when you crash though. I'm not even sensitive to such things and the first time it happened it actually disoriented me enough that I had to pause the game for a little bit.

The buy-in mechanic would make a lot more sense if you were still awarded the sum listed for the race. Instead, the buy-in is subtracted from that and not your wallet. Which makes not being able to enter a race because you don't have the entry fee...extremely roundabout.

And why do we have to spend so much to upgrade the garage? That would be much better if it were progression-based. I'm struggling to make 60k and you want me to spend 50 and then 100k to unlock more parts? I'm having a blast but there are so many increasingly significant things that fly in the face of what the game tells you it is.

Why can't we repeat races? Why can't I upgrade my car during the same day and tackle races I'd come in fourth, fifth or sixth? Another thing that continues to irk me are pursuits. I'm fine with how aggressive the cars are, but the undercover Camaros can literally spawn in front of you and there's nothing you can do about it; the search helicopter can teleport onto you (it's happened to me and I don't know how), and I've been spotted through several cars and wall (two separate instances) before and it's just...once you get to heat 4 and 5, the game grows a bit stale (in certain classes) because you're inching around corners trying not to be spotted.

What happened to Pursuit Breakers? The city area is great for losing them as there are many twists, turns, and shortcuts, and that's not to mention the train tracks. Which I don't bother because I can never find a way onto the damn things when I need it.

At this point, I'm close to modding the game in a way better suited to what I want it to be.

But you get to keep any money and rewards?
Yes.

The buy-in mechanic would make a lot more sense if you were still awarded the sum listed for the race. Instead, the buy-in is subtracted from that and not your wallet. Which makes not being able to enter a race because you don't have the entry fee...extremely roundabout.

And why do we have to spend so much to upgrade the garage? That would be much better if it were progression-based. I'm struggling to make 60k and you want me to spend 50 and then 100k to unlock more parts? I'm having a blast but there are so many increasingly significant things that fly in the face of what the game tells you it is.

Why can't we repeat races? Why can't I upgrade my car during the same day and tackle races I'd come in fourth, fifth or sixth? Another thing that continues to irk me are pursuits. I'm fine with how aggressive the cars are, but the undercover Camaros can literally spawn in front of you and there's nothing you can do about it; the search helicopter can teleport onto you (it's happened to me and I don't know how), and I've been spotted through several cars and wall (two separate instances) before and it's just...once you get to heat 4 and 5, the game grows a bit stale (in certain classes) because you're inching around corners trying not to be spotted.

What happened to Pursuit Breakers? The city area is great for losing them as there are many twists, turns, and shortcuts, and that's not to mention the train tracks. Which I don't bother because I can never find a way onto the damn things when I need it.

At this point, I'm close to modding the game in a way better suited to what I want it to be.
Buy-ins are unbalanced because a lot of times it doesn't make sense to do a high stakes race and it makes more sense to do just do a low stakes event because the net payout is the same or better.
Upgrading the garage is similarly unbalanced. After you completed the career, when all the events are open on the map and you can do as you please, it's not a problem anymore. This, togeteher with general scarceness in credits, car rewards, etc. makes me think they just tacked on that calendar thing later on, and it wasn't the intent to have that time limit right from the start.
Pursuits: What I don't like is that I can't use my navigation during deliveries. I know where my favorite areas are to play with cops, but in the heat I'd like a pointer in my hud.

After completing the career the map and the way the game is laid out makes a whole lot more sense. For me it's not endgame, it's really the beginning.

Y'know, at first I thought those Snapchat filter effects around the cars were going to be annoying and distracting, but since I'm always looking ahead of my own car I barely even notice them during a race. In fact they're actually kinda helpful at times since it's helping me notice when the AI cars are using their nitrous.

They REALLY need to tone down or get rid of that massive seizure flash that happens when you crash though. I'm not even sensitive to such things and the first time it happened it actually disoriented me enough that I had to pause the game for a little bit.
I don't like the icons/animations that are flashed in the middle of the screen while you're in a 250 kmh+ race into incoming traffic.

Last edited:

I believe this is so players don't get completely blocked from progressing in the story mode since it's not always possible to find a race without a buy-in for your class of car. It does make the buy-in even more of a bizarre choice though.

This one frustrated me a lot during the start of week 2; I wasn't able to spend money changing how my cars looked because I had to save up for a garage upgrade instead. Then the parts cost money anyway so you're paying for them twice. It feels like they added this to artificially slow down progression and make the career last longer. However on Tuesday and Wednesday of week 2 I eventually managed to take home $20k + $24k and a new car, so progression does seem to speed up a little eventually.

Why can't we repeat races? Why can't I upgrade my car during the same day and tackle races I'd come in fourth, fifth or sixth?

This one really bugs me. I don't mind a bit of grinding and I'd happily grind a few low payout/low heat races in order to be able to throw some money at visual upgrades. But nope, they're not replayable and any that pay out big money give you insane amounts of heat.

Another thing that continues to irk me are pursuits. I'm fine with how aggressive the cars are, but the undercover Camaros can literally spawn in front of you and there's nothing you can do about it; the search helicopter can teleport onto you (it's happened to me and I don't know how), and I've been spotted through several cars and wall (two separate instances) before and it's just...once you get to heat 4 and 5, the game grows a bit stale (in certain classes) because you're inching around corners trying not to be spotted.

I've only been at heat level 5 once and I managed to get away by constantly checking the full map and adjusting my route accordingly. Apparently undercover cars can be spotted on the main map if you move your cursor about but the high heat level chases are still super frustrating. One of the add-ons you can buy doubles the amount of time it takes them to spot you which is a great idea but it costs a lot of cash and would be needed on each car. Personally I'd love an add on that shows you the undercover cars on the scanner!

Someone on reddit was suggesting that the cops will spawn on your GPS route and that driving a route to a safehouse without GPS is a lot easier as the cops don't know where to spawn so you'll barely come across any. I haven't tried this specifically yet but in my only Heat 5 chase I was near my safehouse so didn't set a route and it did feel pretty easy to navigate there without any issues.

I don't like the icons/animations that are flashed in the middle of the screen while you're in a 250 kmh+ race into incoming traffic.

I don't mind these so much but what I do mind is the fact that the camera slams into the ground whenever you land a jump. There's one particular city race near the start of the game where the road you land on is uphill and once you land you immediately hit a crest. This means you go into it completely blind and I've hit cars there several times through no fault of my own.

Last edited:
I think I'm starting to get the hang of the handling now. Still getting podiums, but had a few firsts. The BRZ is definitely a handful, but I should be able to manage once I buy more grip parts.

I gave up on the grip handling when I realised that hitting a kerb, as you need to if you want to nail most corners in the city, launches the car off the ground a little and cuts all steering for a few moments. Then does it again when you drop off said kerb on the other side. That doesn't matter if you're already drifting sideways over it so I stick with drift handling now.

Last edited:
I used WeMod to give myself the last garage upgrade. I'm sorry, but I'm not wasting 100k for parts that I then have to pay for anyway. So gave myself 100k and now I can play the rest of the way without having to worry about that.

I'm getting more used to the game but what can and can't be smashed through will always annoy me. In the heat of the moment when I'm trying to lose the cops, the inconsistency wrecks me every single time. Why can I smash through some traffic barriers, but then one of them has the structural rigidity of a wild oak tree? I was thinking I've been spoiled by Horizon, but that's far from the case because there are only extreme examples of what can't be smashed in Horizon, as opposed to Unbound where it seems every third physical object is a hard, impenetrable diamond fortress.

I'm steadily building up my garage and so far the only thing I've sold was the LR Defender that you get. That thing handles like canned ass. :lol:

I'm slow burning this but I'm having more and more fun.

Story complete, now to finish off the collectibles and find the meta builds for online :mischievous:

I see a bunch of people bigging up the VW Golf as a potential meta car in S+, but the Bugatti Chiron and Koenigsegg Regera are apparently the top dogs. Porsche Carrera is obviously a contender too.

Last edited:
Welp, got to the end of the first week. Still lacking money for the entry fee, but my BRZ is nearly at the max of A, and finally got a Varis kit on it!

Maybe I should save for a good B car to do those races too...

Sticking with the cars you win from the qualifiers is a good strategy through the career. Focus on the high paying events and you’ll have enough money to kit them out. If you want them to retain their original character then upgrade them with the exact same parts, but a higher tier. I’ve found the Evo and GT-R really nice. I have handling close to neutral. Gas to initiate drift, not the brake. I don’t change downforce unless I want to do a speed trap or speed zone challenge.

Sticking with the cars you win from the qualifiers is a good strategy through the career. Focus on the high paying events and you’ll have enough money to kit them out. If you want them to retain their original character then upgrade them with the exact same parts, but a higher tier. I’ve found the Evo and GT-R really nice. I have handling close to neutral. Gas to initiate drift, not the brake. I don’t change downforce unless I want to do a speed trap or speed zone challenge.
The Evo is excellent on Road tyres, you can drift it so accurately even with the slider close to the center. It's my go-to A+ car now.

Need for speed unbound is going on sale this Sunday 12/11 for $44.99 @gamestop and $39.99 @target

Edit: Amazon $41.99

Attachments

• 756DAEE9-7617-4CA0-9837-F62A73590B8B.jpeg
    756DAEE9-7617-4CA0-9837-F62A73590B8B.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
  • D36B7B31-6EBA-44E0-BCFF-A87293DF5298.jpeg
    D36B7B31-6EBA-44E0-BCFF-A87293DF5298.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 12
  • EA14FE3B-8179-40F0-B266-960F59FBEA33.png
    EA14FE3B-8179-40F0-B266-960F59FBEA33.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Great deals. If it gets a discount on EA store on top of the Play Pro discount I’ll grab it there right away. Not holding my breath though.

Oh cool, so even though i decided to buy the game before my EA Play trial ended, apparently Origin has decided that I'm locked out of the story mode until the remainder of the trial period has elapsed. Despite the fact that I'm halfway through week 3, which is way past the cutoff period, and that I have purchase key attached on Steam (and yes I did try uninstalling the trial key, and no that didn't work).

At least I can spend the remaining five or so hours getting collectibles in online, I guess. But still, this is a prime example of why having to daisy chain distrobution platforms to each other just doesn't work.

Back