Need help from the MR2 gods on here

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 14 comments
  • 1,204 views
Timing belt maybe, it would be audible when you crank it over, that or you could take the oil cap off and see if the camshaft turns. Other than that it's gotta be either fuel or spark. Your guess is as good as mine.
 
At this point I need a car bad enough that I might just offer him $500 and see if he takes it. Then I'll just try to figure it out or just replace the motor. Only problem is I live in an apartment complex and have nowhere to store it...
 
My mr2 had a shot alternator when I first got it, but mine's an SW20 and I wouldn't exactly call it a common issue. Best thing you can do is go out there and take a look at it.
 
Probably a good idea to bring jumper cables along. If it hasn't ran the whole time he's owned it, chances are the battery will be dead.
 
Take a can of starting fluid and give it a quick shot in the intake while trying to start it.

Nonsense! If you needed a car that bad you'd be looking at this.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/2362755032.html

;)

I would rather be carless. :p

Starting fluid and jumper cables, got it. Hopefully it sticks around for a while so I can go look at it. Will have to talk to the bosses and see if I can store it at my work.
 
4AGEs are pretty cheap if you end up having to go down that route. Wouldn't hurt checking the forum at www.mr2.com or even club4ag to see if there's anyone local that would go check it out with you be able to help diagnose it.
 
Hmm, looks like the Southwest section of that site is pretty bare. I'll give the guy a call in the morning and we'll go from there. Not a huge deal for me if the motor is shot, I can probably get a good deal on a new one through my work and have it running in no time.

Pretty stoked to jump on this. Unless someone disagrees? :sly:
 
Looks pretty clean. 85 would be my choice year, lightest I believe, and it also has the rear sway bar. You may have the 5th gear pop out problem, and the rotors will likely be warped from lugs being over torqued (I think). Both things you'll want to upgrade in the future anyways. :sly:

Good luck, check real good for rust. If you can get it for 500, i'd think that's a pretty good deal. Keep an eye out for a set of miata hollow spokes and when you find them let me know so I can give you my daisies... ;)
 
Hmm, looks like the Southwest section of that site is pretty bare. I'll give the guy a call in the morning and we'll go from there. Not a huge deal for me if the motor is shot, I can probably get a good deal on a new one through my work and have it running in no time.

Pretty stoked to jump on this. Unless someone disagrees? :sly:

Go to mr2oc.com instead. Brian Heitkotter (who's going to silverstone with you) is a mod over there.
 
Called the guy and $700 is as low as he'll go. Says the only rust is a small surface rust spot behind the passenger side door. I still run into a problem of not being able to store it anywhere, especially if it needs a motor.

Think I'll wait until after Silverstone and see if he still has it then.
 
I thought 86 was the first year that didn't have the 5th gear pop-out issue.

$700 for a car with no rust ain't bad. Price out a new motor before going to see it. If you can't afford a new motor, you can't afford the car. You could get lucky with the problem, but odds are he's already tried starter fluid to get it going.
 
Well the new listing he put up says it's just been sitting the whole time he's had it. Makes me think he hasn't really put much effort into trying to get it started. As far as the 5th gear pop-out issue, I'm used to that with the B13 Sentra scene so it's nothing new for me.
 
I thought 86 was the first year that didn't have the 5th gear pop-out issue.

$700 for a car with no rust ain't bad. Price out a new motor before going to see it. If you can't afford a new motor, you can't afford the car. You could get lucky with the problem, but odds are he's already tried starter fluid to get it going.

"1987". Though I have a transmission from an 89 sitting in my house to swap out with my 87 trans due to popout. Possibly a 1987.5 update or I just have a dud C52.

87+ is what I've been told are the best years. Trans "fixed", brakes upgraded...bah, just go here.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20080420075723/http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/AW11.htm
 
Back