Need help with a Fanatec wheel issue

• Thread starter Jezza819
  • 6 comments
United States
Alabamistan
Little background first. I have a Fanatec V2 wheel base. For the last several months it's had an issue where once connected to the Xbox it would remain in PC mode. The ring around the power button remains red instead of turning green when it's in Xbox mode. Sometimes using the hotkey method would work but only after trying it several times. I've been able to work around it a little by either powering if off over and over again until suddenly it will go into Xbox mode. Or sometimes I could pull the power plug with the wheel turned on, sometimes that worked. Then I figured out I could remove the rim each time after I finished racing and reattach it the next time and that would work. I've got two rims. One is the Universal hub attached to an older rim like the BMW GT2 rim, the other is the Formula V2 rim. For the last few weeks the V2 rim was mainly the problem as the Universal hub would usually always go into Xbox mode.

But in early July they all just stopped working. Nothing I tried worked. Contacted Fanatec and they gave me some things to try including resetting the base and trying to reload the drivers. But that didn't work either. When trying that I got an error message that the update failed. So Fanatec had me to send in everything I had, base and both rims. They kept it 2 weeks and finally contacted me with and estimate. One thing they did was to basically update it to a V2.5. Estimate was right at $200 but of course I said to fix it. Got it back last Friday all excited to finally be racing again after a month off, F1 2021 is sitting on my Xbox so I was excited to try it. Hook the wheel up to the Xbox, turn it on and it still won't go into Xbox mode. It's doing the same thing I sent it off for.

Contacted Fanatec immediately and we've been trading emails for the last week and nothing they've suggested has worked. They keep having me to reset it to default and to keep trying this driver then this other driver then this other driver and nothing has worked. It appears the update keeps failing because it can't update the motor firmware. The base itself shows to be updated but not the motor.

Here are thumbnails of some of the error messages it's generating.

Has anyone had any similar issues with this? I'm desperate to try and get this fixed. I'm not angry at Fanatec it's just that with me in the US and them in Europe I get their suggestion in the evening when I get home from work, try it, send back what happened, then wait until the next evening to see what they say. It's like a 24 hour game of email tag. Plus I'm just trying to get more people's opinions in hopes that they can see something that maybe I haven't tried.

Last edited:
Little background first. I have a Fanatec V2 wheel base. For the last several months it's had an issue where once connected to the Xbox it would remain in PC mode. The ring around the power button remains red instead of turning green when it's in Xbox mode. Sometimes using the hotkey method would work but only after trying it several times. I've been able to work around it a little by either powering if off over and over again until suddenly it will go into Xbox mode. Or sometimes I could pull the power plug with the wheel turned on, sometimes that worked. Then I figured out I could remove the rim each time after I finished racing and reattach it the next time and that would work. I've got two rims. One is the Universal hub attached to an older rim like the BMW GT2 rim, the other is the Formula V2 rim. For the last few weeks the V2 rim was mainly the problem as the Universal hub would usually always go into Xbox mode.

But in early July they all just stopped working. Nothing I tried worked. Contacted Fanatec and they gave me some things to try including resetting the base and trying to reload the drivers. But that didn't work either. When trying that I got an error message that the update failed. So Fanatec had me to send in everything I had, base and both rims. They kept it 2 weeks and finally contacted me with and estimate. One thing they did was to basically update it to a V2.5. Estimate was right at $200 but of course I said to fix it. Got it back last Friday all excited to finally be racing again after a month off, F1 2021 is sitting on my Xbox so I was excited to try it. Hook the wheel up to the Xbox, turn it on and it still won't go into Xbox mode. It's doing the same thing I sent it off for.

Contacted Fanatec immediately and we've been trading emails for the last week and nothing they've suggested has worked. They keep having me to reset it to default and to keep trying this driver then this other driver then this other driver and nothing has worked. It appears the update keeps failing because it can't update the motor firmware. The base itself shows to be updated but not the motor.

Here are thumbnails of some of the error messages it's generating.

Has anyone had any similar issues with this? I'm desperate to try and get this fixed. I'm not angry at Fanatec it's just that with me in the US and them in Europe I get their suggestion in the evening when I get home from work, try it, send back what happened, then wait until the next evening to see what they say. It's like a 24 hour game of email tag. Plus I'm just trying to get more people's opinions in hopes that they can see something that maybe I haven't tried.
Have you tried Driver 402? I have it installed on nine never a problem. 410 seems to be for the DDs.

When I upgraded mine, didn't have any issues, but that was with driver 330. You can always go back to an older one and see if it helps, maybe 381, also I would suggest posting in the Fanatec forums with this.

When I upgraded mine, didn't have any issues, but that was with driver 330. You can always go back to an older one and see if it helps, maybe 381, also I would suggest posting in the Fanatec forums with this.
Do you show that your motor has updated also?

Yes, it shows every time you open the old tuning UI, it will be on the Update tab
I'm shipping it back off to Fanatec today. They seem to think that updated 2.5 motor they installed on the original repair has somehow gone bad. I think it was that motor number still showing 0 in the above picture regardless of whatever driver they had me install. But this time they also asked me to send in the power pack with the base which I'm not quite sure why.

The sort of funny thing was another agent took over midway through all of these assistance emails and when he made the determination that I needed to send it back in he said I would be responsible for the parts and labor for the repair but then I had to remind him they had repaired it just a few weeks ago and I didn't work when they sent it back to me. Then he apologized and said it would be no charge to me. So hopefully fingers crossed they can fix it this time. It just needs to last a few more months until my CSL DD comes in.

Back