Need Help with Countersteering and Drifting - Vid inside [G27]

• Thread starter robatw
  • 36 comments
Germany
Germany
robatw1
Hello Guys,

this is my first Gran Turismo and i also bought a G27 recently and played through a lot of the campaign mode. But i have serious problems with saving cars after losing traction, now that i advanced to the more faster cars.

So i thought to myself i need to learn to counter steer and to drift, so that i can use that knowledge for the second half of the career mode.

But even though i read and watched some videos about drifting and counter steering, i can not handle it. I recorded 10 minutes of pathetic gameplay. I used the Miata Drifting Setup from this Forum.

Quality will be better in a few minutes!

I use Simulation Steering, no driving aids beside ABS on 1 (like everybody else i guess).

Can you please give me some advice?

Tip 1: Practice on a different track.
2: Brake earlier. Dont go into a corner with a huge amount of understeer, ofcourse the car doesnt handle well...
3: Need to be earlier with the countersteer. I've noticed, it helps me when I imagine the complete car, and the angle it has compared to the track edges.
4: Let the car step out before the apex. Dont follow the driving line. (This URL at 2:50)

Once again, do NOT aim for the driving line. Keep driving too far to the outside, steer in harsh, and push the throttle.

What I observed:

• Your turn in was a bit too late and at times you turned in the car way too much in order to initiate the drift
  • It looked like you were really only trying to initiate your drifts by using one technique which was the power over
  • You need to react faster to what I call the car 'changing balance' which is the car getting into an oversteer / when the car starts to slide
  • Your countersteering was way too slow
What I suggest for you to get better is to use other drifting techniques in order to initiate the drift, such as a Feint or Scandinavian 'flick', make faster countersteering responses to the wheel and finally watch the Drift Bible on YouTube.

Is there anyone that's consistent drifting with a wheel on gt6 yet?
Im close to giving up on this snap-back infested piece of 🤬!

Back to gt5, I guess.. :banghead:

The best tip any one can give you is practice GT6 has been very testing even to the advanced drifters start slow try low powered cars around 300hp first adjust your setup as you progress.

My preference to a good set up is this start out with racing hard springs this is sufficient enough to start first adjust your damper rates depending on what car somewhere between 4-6 is enough don't touch spring rates until you know what your looking for. Leave the stock lsd until you get the hang of drifting this will allow for minor errors don't lower your cars to much 2.5 inches from original height is more than enough. 2.5 -3.5 is enough camber in the front leave the rear tires alone. Comfort tire range is best for drifting.

Just don't give up once you have had a bit more of a feel for drifting it will come slowly don't expect to be the drift king at once. Drifting with the wheel is very rewarding it just takes a lot of practice mate that's it.

Good luck and hope I helped a little bit.

PS. gt arena is a good starting place sharp corners multiple sections to link and a long drift to the finish line mastering this track first will help a lot with weight transferring and like someone else said turn that driving line of it will only distract you.

Last edited:
I was able to only get a bronze in all the drift challenges, it was very difficult and frustrating. Using a higher gear than usual did help, in addition to trying to drift as close to the apex side as possible for higher score. I use a T500RS with all assists off except ABS 1.

Please listen to me, I'm a drift instructor in real life and can see all your mistakes in the way 90% of my students start out. :)

Your biggest problem is that you are starting off with bucketloads of understeer. This will cause you several problems.

1) When drifting, we rely on the castor of the front wheels to 'self-centre' and correct the slide (the reason we let go of the wheel when initiating a drift). If you start with understeer, the front tyres are already sliding and lose their desire to 'self-centre' and give no 'feeling'. This is why the car immediately spins 9 times out of 10 (one of the exceptions being at 4:05-ish)

2) In order to initiate a drift, you require the front wheels to grip and the rear wheels to slip, make sure you have enough grip to turn in with in the first place, then break traction at the rear. You current technique involves turning in way to fast, which causes understeer, which means that when the rear does then break away, it's uncontrollable.

People spend all their time associating drifting with power and wheelspin, but the simple fact is that the PRIMARY method of controlling and initiating a drift is the steering.

The best tip I can give is to watch your replays from outside the car. Your front wheels should ALWAYS point in the desired direction of travel (except in a four wheel slip/backwards entry scenario, but that's an advanced technique, so not relevant to you yet :) ). If they aren't doing that, you are going to either make a mistake, or worse, go off track.

Start by entering the corner slowly, turn in smoothly (and slightly late) and then apply the throttle smoothly and firmly. As the rear slides, you need to apply lock at an equal rate (achieved by letting go of the wheel as the rear breaks away) and then using the throttle to control the slide. As said, before, you will be better off using a higher gear. i.e. if you would use 2nd gear when racing round a corner, use 3rd when trying to drift it. :)

Have a go, try a few things and then get back to me. I can try to explain it slightly better, or maybe try to post a video of GT6 vs real life (which is SHOCKINGLY similar). :)

There are a few small key things I'd personally recommend that should hopefully make learning the basics of drifting easier.

1. Use the h-pattern shifter.

Drifting and paddle shifters don't work well together, especially since the paddles on the G27 move with the wheel itself. You can shift with the h-pattern without having to use the clutch if you shift once with the paddles (Note, that you need to be using a stock transmission on most cars for the h-pattern to work as of now. For some silly reason Polyphony Digital made most fully customizable dog-clutch transmissions incompatible with h-pattern shifters). This is how I've been drifting for the past two years, considering how poorly the clutch has been supported in GT5 and GT6.

2. Learn grip levels by "racing" on CH, or just in general.

When I first started drifting with a wheel, the hardest part was first learning to properly judge counter-steer, so I did a lot of racing. Understanding racing can help you understand drifting and vice versa. It helps if you choose a moderately powerful car roughly 300-400hp. I'd suggest a moderately tuned S13, Supra, Mustang, nothing over the top or too underpowered just something that feels good to you personally. Doing this mostly helps with throttle control. I started slow at first, taking corners very carefully using a racing line, then when I started feeling a bit more confident I'd start hitting the gas harder at corner exit and letting the tail slide. That's when I'd learn more about counter-steer. Eventually you can work in that tail slide earlier and earlier in the turn, and before you know it, you'll be linking them.

A big difference between drifting and racing, however, is the "line" you take, which brings me to another suggestion.

3. Turn off the driving line, at least when you get familiar with a track.

Drifting isn't really about speed until you get into competitions which means that the driving line, while helpful in learning a quick line for racing and general track layout, will most likely serve as more of a distraction. I'd suggest learning drifting on Tsukuba or Suzuka East, both of which are short, flat, easy to learn tracks that will help you learn the basics of counter-steering and throttle control.

4. Just have fun with it and don't get too frustrated.

I hope this helps you because I can fondly remember when I first started (My first lap at Tsukuba on GT5 with my 240sx took me 6 minutes!). If you plan on really getting good at drifting with the wheel, it will take time and effort, but the reward is well worth it.

I hope this helped!

There are a few small key things I'd personally recommend that should hopefully make learning the basics of drifting easier.

1. Use the h-pattern shifter.

Drifting and paddle shifters don't work well together, especially since the paddles on the G27 move with the wheel itself. You can shift with the h-pattern without having to use the clutch if you shift once with the paddles (Note, that you need to be using a stock transmission on most cars for the h-pattern to work as of now. For some silly reason Polyphony Digital made most fully customizable dog-clutch transmissions incompatible with h-pattern shifters). This is how I've been drifting for the past two years, considering how poorly the clutch has been supported in GT5 and GT6.

2. Learn grip levels by "racing" on CH, or just in general.

When I first started drifting with a wheel, the hardest part was first learning to properly judge counter-steer, so I did a lot of racing. Understanding racing can help you understand drifting and vice versa. It helps if you choose a moderately powerful car roughly 300-400hp. I'd suggest a moderately tuned S13, Supra, Mustang, nothing over the top or too underpowered just something that feels good to you personally. Doing this mostly helps with throttle control. I started slow at first, taking corners very carefully using a racing line, then when I started feeling a bit more confident I'd start hitting the gas harder at corner exit and letting the tail slide. That's when I'd learn more about counter-steer. Eventually you can work in that tail slide earlier and earlier in the turn, and before you know it, you'll be linking them.

A big difference between drifting and racing, however, is the "line" you take, which brings me to another suggestion.

3. Turn off the driving line, at least when you get familiar with a track.

Drifting isn't really about speed until you get into competitions which means that the driving line, while helpful in learning a quick line for racing and general track layout, will most likely serve as more of a distraction. I'd suggest learning drifting on Tsukuba or Suzuka East, both of which are short, flat, easy to learn tracks that will help you learn the basics of counter-steering and throttle control.

4. Just have fun with it and don't get too frustrated.

I hope this helps you because I can fondly remember when I first started (My first lap at Tsukuba on GT5 with my 240sx took me 6 minutes!). If you plan on really getting good at drifting with the wheel, it will take time and effort, but the reward is well worth it.

I hope this helped!

1. Personally, I leave my G25 shifter set on 'sequential', then, I can map the 'pull' on the shifter to 'handbrake' ;) Much better than a button ;) and it's not hard to remember which paddle is which. ;)

2, 3 and 4. Agreed :)

TwinTurboCH teach me.
Will have broadband installed in my new place next week so can come online then, where in London are you based. You could always come down to my drift school for a taster session and get some real life understanding of it. It works wonders ;)

Hello,

I have the same problem that robatw. So wht is the best car to learn on the wheel?

Thanks

The 97 Supra RZ With all weight reductions and 320hp or so on CH tires is pretty sweet. But like the man said find something you feel comfortable with.

Tip 1: Practice on a different track.
2: Brake earlier. Dont go into a corner with a huge amount of understeer, ofcourse the car doesnt handle well...
3: Need to be earlier with the countersteer. I've noticed, it helps me when I imagine the complete car, and the angle it has compared to the track edges.
4: Let the car step out before the apex. Dont follow the driving line. (This URL at 2:50)

Once again, do NOT aim for the driving line. Keep driving too far to the outside, steer in harsh, and push the throttle.

This video is pretty much how I drift in GT5 -- by letting the wheel spin itself and somewhat 'guide' it. For some reason I just can't do the same in GT6. I have to opposite lock all by myself. If I let the wheel free spin it's either too much too fast or too little too slow. :confused:

This video is pretty much how I drift in GT5 -- by letting the wheel spin itself and somewhat 'guide' it. For some reason I just can't do the same in GT6. I have to opposite lock all by myself. If I let the wheel free spin it's either too much too fast or too little too slow. :confused:
This is what I noticed too.
I have to physically turn/throw the wheel and catch it in the exact lock needed to be able to drift.
To make it worse, it's much harder to feel the balance of the car mid-drift in GT6 than it is in GT5.

Your shows video I'm also making all the same mistakes quite often, I just got a wheel for gt6 (DFGT) and I'm just starting to climb the rather step learning curve from a pad.

I can easily sustain drifts with a pad, and while I'm not that talented I at least don't spin out early, mid or at the end of a drift like I tend to with a wheel.

Initially I'm working from the "power over" technique and have on occasion managed to very untidily gather up a small slide but anything else seems quite the task. I had a crack at GT5 and although I'm not that great on that either, after a few laps I managed to hold the last corner at Tsukuba with a 250hp AE86 which is somewhat impossible for me on GT6. I'm not sure if its just me but the response through the wheel from grip to slip in GT5 seems easier to pick up on/feel enabling me to counter-steer quicker, to the correct degree and also adjust the angle via lock/throttle, again, still messy but certainly better than GT6.

I guess I just need to keep practicing but just letting you know your not alone, this is quite the task indeed.

Incidentally, I can powerslide the Audi S1 round Ascari on CH without any major headaches sustaining a full slide from entry to exit... this however isn't a transferable skill when it comes to RWD as its simply applying how I drive it on the dirt events to a tarmac track on low grip tyres...

Frustrating! :)

Your shows video I'm also making all the same mistakes quite often, I just got a wheel for gt6 (DFGT) and I'm just starting to climb the rather step learning curve from a pad.

I can easily sustain drifts with a pad, and while I'm not that talented I at least don't spin out early, mid or at the end of a drift like I tend to with a wheel.

Initially I'm working from the "power over" technique and have on occasion managed to very untidily gather up a small slide but anything else seems quite the task. I had a crack at GT5 and although I'm not that great on that either, after a few laps I managed to hold the last corner at Tsukuba with a 250hp AE86 which is somewhat impossible for me on GT6. I'm not sure if its just me but the response through the wheel from grip to slip in GT5 seems easier to pick up on/feel enabling me to counter-steer quicker, to the correct degree and also adjust the angle via lock/throttle, again, still messy but certainly better than GT6.

I guess I just need to keep practicing but just letting you know your not alone, this is quite the task indeed.

Incidentally, I can powerslide the Audi S1 round Ascari on CH without any major headaches sustaining a full slide from entry to exit... this however isn't a transferable skill when it comes to RWD as its simply applying how I drive it on the dirt events to a tarmac track on low grip tyres...

Frustrating! :)

DFGT fun for racing hard for drifting it just doesn't have the power to hit the spots you need you will develop a skill at flicking it through your hands rather than it spinning on its own. I'm no expert but I find GT6 requires a lot quicker inputs on the wheel than GT5 as in GT5 was slightly more forgiving.

I don't know if this will help you but I found that lowering the force feed back made it more bearable lower to a level like 6 or 7 you will still be able to feel the wheel but be able to flick it quicker in a counter steer as for getting a feel for where you need to catch it will take a lot of practice.👍

DFGT fun for racing hard for drifting it just doesn't have the power to hit the spots you need you will develop a skill at flicking it through your hands rather than it spinning on its own. I'm no expert but I find GT6 requires a lot quicker inputs on the wheel than GT5 as in GT5 was slightly more forgiving.

I don't know if this will help you but I found that lowering the force feed back made it more bearable lower to a level like 6 or 7 you will still be able to feel the wheel but be able to flick it quicker in a counter steer as for getting a feel for where you need to catch it will take a lot of practice.👍

I think your making a lot of sense, when looking for a wheel I loved the way the T500 spun when you let go with complete ease but sadly that was way out of my modest budget. I do find it a lot of work to turn it quick enough, but at the same time I have the FF set to 10.

Would I develop any bad habits that would hinder progress by using this wheel if I do buy something better in the future? Knew I should have at least got a G27! Lol

That said, this gives me hope, but I presume this guy is pretty well practiced!

It's just the same as for everybody else. Steering imputs are much more important than in GT5. I'm on a DFGT and manage fine.

Having turned down the FF to 6 things are much improved, but I think most of this will come with time/practice. I've only had a wheel for two weeks so far. I'm using frags base tune on an FC and i'm getting better, better meaning I'm spinning out a little less than previously :lol:

When drifting, we rely on the castor of the front wheels to 'self-center' and correct the slide (the reason we let go of the wheel when initiating a drift). If you start with understeer, the front tyres are already sliding and lose their desire to 'self-center' and give no 'feeling'. This is why the car immediately spins 9 times out of 10.

Sounds good and all but gt6 doesn't simulate castor very well and never spins the wheel as fast as it should (at least on the dfgt). I have always said force feedback in gt feels more like a modified hardware spring and not true force feedback. I have also noticed the cars feel more numb in gt6 when on the accelerator and too touchy when off the accelerator, and a little too over exagerated. Small movements in the wheel do nothing as to correct your line much as the did in gt5 mid drift, as well as being able to feel the chassis roll and making it feel the same as ovesteer I end up loosing track of what the car is really doing and over countersteer because of this. Also the large force feedback dead zone doesn't help much either because I personally end up getting that whipping effect of bumping back in forth off the feedback when coming out of a drift feeling for center causing too much weight shift which in turn spins me out.​

Last edited:
I'm using a Fanatec wheel and it feels impossible lol. I have no clue what setup to use for cars, and wheel combined. One wheel setting works well for racing, but is too slow for drifting. Trying to counter, the wheel is too heavy and slow. If I bump up FF and Drift setting to 5 it spins too fast and has no touch mid drift.

I see people in vids using other wheels and theirs seem so much more free to turn.

Back