Need help with points allocation.

• Thread starter Ghalieger
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
Not sure where I should post this, so I figured just in the GTS general area would be ok.

I’m having an argument with the board members of this racing league I’m a part of. We had 2 guys run one of our points races with us, they are part of our group, but joined late. The issue is, they qualified 1st and 2nd, but finished 2nd and 3rd. The board members are saying that even though they took 2nd and 3rd, the 4th place guy gets 2nd place points, but the 3rd place qualifier doesn’t get the pole position points.

I’m of the belief that if the two people who weren’t technically racing for points don’t count as having filled 2nd and 3rd for points allocation, then they shouldn’t count for pole position consideration, but if they DO count as taking up pole position, then they SHOULD count as having filled 2nd and 3rd, meaning the league guy who finished 4th would get 4th place points.

I can find NO information on any official rulings in regards to a situation like this, so that’s what led to this post. Thanks!

So what you're saying for the two racers that joined late:

1st Quali 3rd Finish
2nd Quali 2nd Finish

Are they entered into the league as points scoring or were they just in that particular race for fun? This will be a determining factor. Two possible outcomes based on the answer to that question:

1) If they are entered as point scoring, they should get their Pole reward and finishing points as normal.
2) The person who qualified 3rd would be considered "Pole" for the point scoring racers and should get points for that. Every racer after the 2nd and 3rd place non-point scorers should be "shuffled up" as if they finished 2 spots higher than actual and get those finishing points.

That's how I see it based on the info that you provided.

They are not entered for points, if they were, I wouldn’t be having the issue. Your option 2 is what I’m trying to get across to the board members, but they don’t see it that way. They see it as “you didn’t get pole over all, therefore you don’t get pole at all.”

If there was an established rule about a situation like this, then there wouldn’t be an issue. However, they are still building the league, and let’s just say hard rules were never established, so a lot of things are up in the air. If I had realized how much wasn’t established, I wouldn’t have joined up in the first place, but I’m not about to quit mid season. Thank you for your input!

They are not entered for points, if they were, I wouldn’t be having the issue. Your option 2 is what I’m trying to get across to the board members, but they don’t see it that way. They see it as “you didn’t get pole over all, therefore you don’t get pole at all.”

If there was an established rule about a situation like this, then there wouldn’t be an issue. However, they are still building the league, and let’s just say hard rules were never established, so a lot of things are up in the air. If I had realized how much wasn’t established, I wouldn’t have joined up in the first place, but I’m not about to quit mid season. Thank you for your input!
No problem, then my scenario 2 is the correct option and the organizers should either put into the rules that the pole isn't awarded or it's shifted. In the grey area it should be awarded by shifting.

No problem, then my scenario 2 is the correct option and the organizers should either put into the rules that the pole isn't awarded or it's shifted. In the grey area it should be awarded by shifting.
When you say “correct” does that mean there is a precedent set by a governing body, that there is a link to that I could acquire?

I know the FIA WEC does the finishing points (they don't offer pole points) at Le Mans. I'm not sure that there are many series that offer pole points and if they do, they are given as a one race entry to the full season.

I know the FIA WEC does the finishing points (they don't offer pole points) at Le Mans. I'm not sure that there are many series that offer pole points and if they do, they are given as a one race entry to the full season.
Alright. I was hoping there was some sort of solid ruling in an official series that I could reference, but it seems like this is an extremely rare occurrence. Once again, thanks for the info! Unfortunately I don’t think the board will see things my way. Oh well.

Back