Need help with Scapes photo of three cars in motion and keeping them in focus

DesertPenguin

(Banned)
United States
Long Island, New York
DesertPenguin_
They're all coming towards the camera position offset a bit to the side so you see the front and a bit of the left side of the cars. Default speed of 50mph, Aperture at 32.0, Camera Tracking Ratio at 100%, and Shutter Speed at 1/500. Target car is the middle of the three. Focus is Single AF and focused on the front area of the lead car closest to the camera. I tried making the front car the target car and putting the focus area on that car as well but then again the front car is still the most blurry. This makes no sense. What should I change?

Haven't really figured it out yet, sometimes I can go as long 1/30 or even 1/15 and all cars are fine and sometimes I can't do it at any SS. I think it depends strongly on location, some location are bad for motion shots even for one car let alone two or three. Some of them, I feel like they are dependable on which way cars are heading, rotating car can change a lot. Have you tried multiple locations and trying to rotate cars? I might try to make 3 cars work tonight or tomorrow and will get back here

Looked it up, when I put cars more or less where they were by default it was all good, once I started rotating them, second and third car went blurry

I wish you could see your settings, because i have a fail and a win.

Low speeds help too imo.

5990435194211927052_0.jpg

5044620991773279772_0.jpg

You might need to adjust the speeds / direction of the different cars. Remember, scapes are just static shots so you are panning, not tracking. The stuff to the sides of the frame will track differently than the stuff in the center.

^ That's probably the issue. If everything is travelling in the same direction you'll (probably) have better results. In the top shot, all three of those cars are turning right around different points to the game. The camera doesn't know you want them to drift along the flow the road, just wheels pointed right at x speed. In the bottom shot all 3 are travelling the same direction presumably at or near the same speed, hence the focus on one carries to the other as a by product since the cars are not moving in relation to each other.

Probably a crappy explanation but maybe that helps?

They're all coming towards the camera position offset a bit to the side so you see the front and a bit of the left side of the cars. Default speed of 50mph, Aperture at 32.0, Camera Tracking Ratio at 100%, and Shutter Speed at 1/500. Target car is the middle of the three. Focus is Single AF and focused on the front area of the lead car closest to the camera. I tried making the front car the target car and putting the focus area on that car as well but then again the front car is still the most blurry. This makes no sense. What should I change?
I would try dropping vehicle speed and playing w shutter speed. Also try zooming in a little since the scape is static, it doesn't have any wiggle room if it's zoomed out all the way. Maybe post your failures so we can see what you are talking about

Back