Never Played Gran Turismo, Forza Fan. Sell me on it.

• Thread starter Qotisfiya
  • 35 comments
United States
United States
Never played it, had a friend rave about how good the GT series was years ago but just never gave in. Always been a Forza Fan since FM2. Could someone give me reasons why I should buy the PS5 and jump into the GT series ? I’m quite intrigued from what I see on this forum.

Last edited:
I've been a Forza fan since FM3, before that I played GT2/3/4 but was really put off by 5 and 6.

I still love Forza but IMO some of the magic they had since FM3/4 has been lost and I'm still not convinced turn 10 will recover based on how much detail they are still holding back about the new motorsport game.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying GT7 quite a lot. It feels limited by being on the PS5 I would love the PC version to become a reality but for now I still find myself loading the PS5 to play GT7 rather than FM7 on PC. I think both are flawed games but I find GT7 seems to have more systems in place to allow for the types of racing I want. More "motorsport focused" if you will. Ranking and penalty systems for online feel more robust. Wheel implementation feels a bit more natural.

There are still a lot of things I have complaints about of course, similar to what you will see others talk about on here. Especially compared to Forza you are limited by the games economy and which cars are available to be bought at any point in time without relying on rng roulette wheels. Singleplayer payouts make it so if you want credits there are only really a few races that are worth your time for grinding. In my view we are really still relying on updates and potential changes by the developer to really give the game proper longevity if online competition alone isnt enough to keep you playing.

Because of stuff like that I'm not sure I recommend to get a PS5 just to try this game, but if you are leaning towards it I think it's worth trying out if Forza is not scratching your itch for racing game currently. Personally I am glad I got the game and upgraded to a wheel that is PS5 compatible and now I'm looking forward to the PSVR2 implementation since we all know ultrawide screen wont be an option any time soon.

If you like collecting cars and taking pictures then this is what gran turismo 7 does best, and we have music rally as our main new feature so that you never get bored. It will give you chance to sing a long with the vroom vroom vroom song. Our game is nostalgia-driven so my recommondation is emulating the older games first to appreciate the Gran Turismo. Gran turismo 4 is the greatest game of the series my recommondation is to play this you will like it over the new one.

Last edited:
If you like collecting cars and taking pictures then this is what gran turismo 7 does best, and we have music rally as our main new feature so that you never get bored. It will give you chance to sing a long with the vroom vroom vroom song. Our game is nostalgia-driven so my recommondation is emulating the older games first to appreciate the Gran Turismo. Gran turismo 4 is the greatest game of the series my recommondation is to play this you will like it over the new one.
That’s mainly what I like to do, collect cars and take pictures. That’s one reason I may get the GT7, I’ll have to try GT4 like you said also.

I've been a Forza fan since FM3, before that I played GT2/3/4 but was really put off by 5 and 6.

I still love Forza but IMO some of the magic they had since FM3/4 has been lost and I'm still not convinced turn 10 will recover based on how much detail they are still holding back about the new motorsport game.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying GT7 quite a lot. It feels limited by being on the PS5 I would love the PC version to become a reality but for now I still find myself loading the PS5 to play GT7 rather than FM7 on PC. I think both are flawed games but I find GT7 seems to have more systems in place to allow for the types of racing I want. More "motorsport focused" if you will. Ranking and penalty systems for online feel more robust. Wheel implementation feels a bit more natural.

There are still a lot of things I have complaints about of course, similar to what you will see others talk about on here. Especially compared to Forza you are limited by the games economy and which cars are available to be bought at any point in time without relying on rng roulette wheels. Singleplayer payouts make it so if you want credits there are only really a few races that are worth your time for grinding. In my view we are really still relying on updates and potential changes by the developer to really give the game proper longevity if online competition alone isnt enough to keep you playing.

Because of stuff like that I'm not sure I recommend to get a PS5 just to try this game, but if you are leaning towards it I think it's worth trying out if Forza is not scratching your itch for racing game currently. Personally I am glad I got the game and upgraded to a wheel that is PS5 compatible and now I'm looking forward to the PSVR2 implementation since we all know ultrawide screen wont be an option any time soon.
Yea neither game is perfect, Forza definitely has its strengths and weaknesses. I might just have to get GT7. Especially since they’re offering PSVR2. Gives me a reason to get into the PlayStation Ecosystem.

Last edited:
Never played it, had a friend rave about how good the GT series was years ago but just never gave in. Always been a Forza Fan since FM2. Could someone give me reasons why I should buy the PS5 and jump into the GT series ? I’m quite intrigued from what I see on this forum.
I've played every version of Gran Turismo since the first number and the same goes for the Forza games.
They both have their pros and cons but for me GT7 wins in 3 key areas:
Handling and driving feel - either with the dualsense pad or a wheel, it feels better and more consistent that Forza does.
Graphics and lighting - The car models, paintwork and lighting in GT7 just feels so realistic and runs like a dream (most of the time)
Online - The driver rating system, the penalty system and more mean that online races tend to lead to some very good racing, none of the silliness you tend to get in Forza online.

I love Forza and for many years it was my preferred racing game of this type but GT7 even with its flawless has blown me away.

I've been a fan of both series for quite some time but I feel both series peaked on their 4th numbered iterations. They are different enough to warrant owning both if you are a big enough fan of the genre and have access to consoles/PC's that can play them both. Gran Turismo feels more polished to me, the physics and graphics impress me more, though I would't say that generationally GT is better, just different. GT4 had possibly my favourite career mode of either series, FM4 being the closest to matching that, though there's definitely an argument to say FM4 is better, that'll come down to personal prefence I guess.

If you are considering jumping into GT now, I would say wait until more details emerge for the next Forza Motorport, GT7 is a good game, but it's a dissapoinging GT IMO, specifically for the single player career (or lack of). If you are more into online and time trials etc. then you might enjoy it more than me, but I like to enjoy the career journey from cheap cars and work up to faster more expensive cars and better races and GT7 dissapointed me on that level. But it is undenaibly a good game on many levels even if there are a lot of things that make you scratch your head and might find dissapointing.

Last edited:
As mentioned the cars are all very high detailed and if you enjoy taking pictures of them then you will pretty much always be satisfied.
Also IMO the livery editor is miles ahead of Forza and the handling model of the cars seems to be better than Forza, this post isn't biased as I have both GT7 and FM7 though I find myself playing GT7 much more in recent times than FM7.

The only pro FM7 may have is that some of the cars in FM7 sound abit more aggressive than their GT7 counterparts but alot of the cars in FM7 suffer from the same fate as previous GT games where the cars sound way off, something that was fixed big time in GT7.

GT7 Pros:
Car models have more detail
Livery editor
Photo mode is superior to FM7
Custom races are a ton of fun but can be very pricy depending on what kind of races you do
Car handling feels more natural and road cars do not feel as stiff as in FM7

GT7 Cons:
Not alot of big money making events but the ones that make big money can get you alot quite quickly but can get repetitive fairly quickly.
Smaller car list than FM7.
Car invites and engine swaps can only be won from tickets which give set prizes, usually the lowest; hopefully these systems are removed or heavily overhauled at some point.

FM7 Pros:
Car list but this is down to personal preference.
More event variation but the replay ability of this game IMO isn't as big as GT7.

FM7 Cons:
Some car models aren't as detailed and some are flat out awful like the S15.
Sounds are too crisp, idk how to explain it but it's like they are overly processed.

FH5 is the first racing video game I’ve really been into in a long time, since the GT4 and Forza 1 days, and I ended up buying the PS5 for GT7 and I definitely don’t regret it. It’s time consuming to grind enough for all the cars in the used and legends car dealers but it’s definitely possible to do.

Don’t buy it. Waist of money.
2019-New-Travel-Hidden-Cash-Money-Belt-Bag-Funny-Pack-Anti-Theft-Waist-Packs-Pouch-Wallet.jpg

To the OP...FH and FM are like fun at recess when you can just play and do what you want...lots of fun memories playing tag or basketball or flag football with your friends.

GT is fun like at (organized sports) practice when you are running laps and lifting weights and in pain but then you realize at the end of the year that you've gotten stronger and faster than any of your friends that just play at recess for fun.

Personally, I need both types of fun in my gaming. You can't get both from either series, so you either have to buy 2 consoles or decide what type of fun is most important to you.

It's fun to play catch at the park with friends even if you lose; it's also fun to make the game saving tackle in the high school championship game because you are stronger and faster than the running back who tried to run through you but couldn't because of all those painful hours you put in the weight room.

Last edited:
Been GT/PS guy since PS1 and original GT.
A couple of years ago bought my very first XBox and the first game obviousl the FM7.
Don't get me wrong, it's a very solid game but didn't feel the same feeling in car control or the same immersion than in GT titles and everything feels a little (sometimes a lot!) more arcadey...

Of course GT Sport and GT 7 have their flaws, Polyphony Digital messed up event structure big way, putting to much enphasys on online "Daily Races", the AI is as dull as in PS1, etc. But it's fun, the online system of penalties and driver ratings, being flawed is still very solid, even if you criticise it a lot.

FM7 didn't make me feel like that and soon I went back to GT Sport, despite no more offline events to complete.

For me, the only thing is the steep price of the PS5, other than that, go for it

For me, GTS and GT7 are way better than FM7, and I think the FM devs understand this which is why their new game has taken so long.

I saw FH4 as a better competitor to GTS than FM7, having great fictitious tracks like GT does, better driving physics than FM7, and a proper multiplayer rating system. However, it also had things I found frustrating, which is why I eventually stopped playing it, such as the failure to fully address ramming in multiplayer racing, bad workflow in some areas such as rivals, the weekly chore list which I absolutely hated. The races are also very short, and lacking in any strategy as there's no fuel use or pitstops to change tyres etc, so if multiplayer racing of that nature appeals to someone, it doesn't come close to GTS/7.

GT7 has brought it's own frustrations, in particular the fact that it's very focused on car collecting and has very few races that give the best payout per minute. It doesn't have much in the way of time trial leaderboards, so there's ultimately just not that much to do in the game, which made me question why I was even collecting the cars anyway, when there's not much to use them for once you have them. If you're into PvP racing with strategic elements it's probably still the best of the most well known console titles for that.

I've personally mainly been playing The Crew 2 for the last month, as I feel its competitive weekly summit events are better for time trialling than anything GT or Forza have to offer. It also has its own frustrations, though, e.g. it's mind blowing that over 4 years after release it still has no way to scrap all parts in the mailbox. If I had paid full price for it at launch rather than buying it extremely cheaply in the Steam sale, that sort of thing would undoubtedly have me absolutely raging by now.

Start with Gran Turismo 4...And just stay there, don't bother with the other games even if they have newer features, GT4 is still the game that defines the series best.

Graphics are a bit dated, but if you're running a emulator then there are some graphics and texture mods for it which brings it up to modern standards.

(Frankly I think that GT4 graphics did amazingly well in standing up for the test of time, but now it does shows its age)

But if you want to play GT7, I recommend loaning the game from a friend if you can instead of buying.

You will see that while the game itself has the potential to be great, it's unmet. The gameplay loop is repetitive, the in-game economy is borderline draconian, Sport Mode is a frustrating cluster**** thanks to the hilariously bad penalty system that is more of a hindrance to clean drivers than dirty ones.

Last edited:
Hey OP, I'm actually doing the opposite. While I'm in a love/hate relationship with GT7, I'm incredibly excited to see how Forza handles it's single player and online racing structure. I can say, without every playing a Forza game before Horizon 5, I feel that the livery editor for GT7 is fantastic, browsing for liveries and designs are great, scapes is awesome. What I want out of the upcoming Forza, will be racing structure, penalty system and how they adjust for balanced gameplay online. GT7s PP system is gutter trash.

From my limited experience play Forza, I'd say the driving experience is purer in Gran Turismo, and the graphics are on another level.

Build your personality and make your own decisions. Either it'll seem interesting to you and then you'll play it in order to find out what it is all about, or it won't. Anything else is just pointless and a random assemble of wildly different opinions from different people.

Buy the PS5 for games like FF7 and Stray. I'm in the opposite boat from you, I've never played Forza. I have an Xbox 360 S and plan to buy whatever Forza runs on it.

Build your personality and make your own decisions. Either it'll seem interesting to you and then you'll play it in order to find out what it is all about, or it won't. Anything else is just pointless and a random assemble of wildly different opinions from different people.
How very helpful of you!!!
We all might as well stop reading reviews, stop watching youtube videos and stop following posts on forums and just blindly make our own opinions about games, because games companies and marketing departments are ALWAYS super honest about they new releases.

The OP quite wisely wanted to make sure GT7 is something he would enjoy before spending $600 on a PS5 plus $70 for the game itself.

That's what GTForums is about. Sharing information and helping each other.

I’m not going to sell you on it, but maybe read what this guy wrote. He seems okay.:

The strength remains the ability to jump on at any time and race with evenly matched peers online. If this isn't your thing, i'd not bother unless you already have a playstation and the game is on a hot sale.

the AI is as dull as in PS1
I think the AI for an event was better in GT1/2, lol. But here's the weird thing: if you go into custom races and play around with AI settings and get them just right, it's the best AI in the series. So the ability in the current engine to have challenging and fun competition is already available in the system PD has in place, but for some insane reason they choose to make the AI rolling roadblocks, even on "hard". I guess to drive people into Sport, but they don't seem to understand that the majority of people that bought this game don't want online racing, at least not in its current format as per trophy stats. Personally, it's BoP and the need to use the current meta cars to be competitive, if implemented another way where there was more variety I'd engage with the mode much more often (ie tuning race alternatives for Daily Races, but they have to fix all the glitches that somehow still remain before that will be a reality.).

Back to AI, lol. I stumbled across this video from a new creator that does a really good job of explaining the basics of how to get the AI more "I" than "A". Things like using race hards for the opponents otherwise they will default to the tire the comes with from the dealer, etc.

It's a really good video that everyone interested in GT7's AI should check out, especially if you're like me and never really put much time into custom races due to the horrible pay-outs.

Channel name is Roflwaffle. This series he's starting on GT7 seems like it could be awesome, so hopefully he starts getting some support.

Last edited:
The game play of Gran Turismo is quite literally the same game play as Grand Prix on the Atari 2600 (1982). You pass cars, and try not to hit them. You aren't racing them and they aren't racing you.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I would have thought that 40 years later, and after 25 years as a top line "racing" game, they might have evolved the game play a bit more.

Back