New 4k tv PS4 or PS4 PRO?

• Thread starter Paul Trew
  • 22 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
  1. Hi guys new here, my son has just bought ps4 for COD and i got him to get me a copy of GT Sport to try.

I have a new LG 55" C9 OLED TV and now need to purchase my own PS4.

I'm an Xbox One Forza fan and have played them all.

i used to play GT back in the day and loved it then (Im 54 now lol)

I aint bad on Forza top 250-500 on some tracks and have been wanting to try GTS for a while.

Only had around 4 hours on GT sport but I'm absolutely loving it, i need to buy my own console now, else it just aint gonna work lol

Having just upgraded from a 42" Panasonic Plasma, the jump to LG 4k, has for me been BIG ! All my games look mental lol

Is it worth me spending the extra £100 on the PRO as opposed to the standard PS4 ? Reviews are confusing to say the least.

Cheers

Paul

(PS may have to think about a G29 too at some point)

Edit+ QuoteReply

I highly recommend PS4 Pro. The only reason I would hesitate at this time is the possibility that the PS5 (or whatever it will be called) may be available next holiday season.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned you may have to think about getting a wheel(G29). If you have to consider your budget then I would say a standard PS4 and a wheel may be the better choice. But if you can swing both get the Pro and whatever wheel you are considering.:)

Sony has confirmed PS5 will release next year. It will play GTS and PS4 games as well. PS5 will have 8core cpu, SSD so install, loading should be really fast. Obviously nice gpu as well. PS4 bundle though will be really cheap so if you can't wait pick that up otherwise I think you should wait for PS5

The PS4 Pro will look quite a bit better on a 4k TV. Even on a 1080p TV, if the PS4 Pro's system level supersampling option is turned on, GTS looks miles better. I tried turning supersampling off again after having it on for a while and just couldn't stand how bad it looked.

One thing to bear in mind with the consoles is you can save a lot of money if you immediately sell the bundled games. I got a PS4 Pro bundled with FIFA 20 and COD Black Ops 4 for £320, and got £43 back by immediately selling the games for cash to CeX, so the PS4 Pro was effectively only £277.

@ Paul Trew
Congrats on getting GTSport and the lg C9 oled. Nice tv. I'm sure GTSport would look amazing on it with either ps4 or the ps4 pro.

Though I'd be cautious using your C9 oled for GTSport.
Unless the C9 has improved the screen over the B6 to deal with burn in.
Maybe use your 42" plasma for gaming.

I replaced my 65" lg1080p with a new lg 65" 4k B6 oled 2 years ago. I already have burn in on my oled from static images. It's from the scroll that runs across the bottom on the news. Also burn in on one corner where most tv shows display thier channel icon.

The older 1080 lg is what I use for gaming. I know games would look better on the oled. But if I played GTSport on the oled I surely would have even more burn in from the heads up display (tach, mph, aid icons, brake balance and such) that would show up as shadows when watching movies and tv shows.

Sorry to add more confusion but better to bring up the issue now then after GTSport creates display burn in on your oled.

Last edited:
GTSport looks a lot better on Pro, even in the 1080p framerate mode they added in more effects such as high quality motion blur during gameplay which looks fantastic.

f17GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

@ Paul Trew
Congrats on getting GTSport and the lg C9 oled. Nice tv. I'm sure GTSport would look amazing on it with either ps4 or the ps4 pro.

Though I'd be cautious using your C9 oled for GTSport.
Unless the C9 has improved the screen over the B6 to deal with burn in.
Maybe use your 42" plasma for gaming.

I replaced my 65" lg1080p with a new lg 65" 4k B6 oled 2 years ago. I already have burn in on my oled from static images. It's from the scroll that runs across the bottom on the news. Also burn in on one corner where most tv shows display thier channel icon.

The older 1080 lg is what I use for gaming. I know games would look better on the oled. But if I played GTSport on the oled I surely would have even more burn in from the heads up display (tach, mph, aid icons, brake balance and such) that would show up as shadows when watching movies and tv shows.

Sorry to add more confusion but better to bring up the issue now then after GTSport creates display burn in on your oled.

I'm glad to see an OLED owner that is not in complete denial of screen burn in. My choice in what 4K tv to buy was made by still ongoing burn in issues. I've had it on my Panasonic plasma tv. Not from static images but because so many tv programs were still 4:3 with black borders. Burn in is simply uneven wear, so when there finally was a widescreen program, the sides that were normally dark were now extra bright. It took years for that to go away after all tv converted to 16:9. Black levels got worse over time as well, colors dull. Plasma and OLED degrade over time, if unevenly by static images, hud elements, tag heuer logo between races, it's going to show after a year.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

I would go for the pro. I use it on a 1080p tv, but the faster loading times are already worth it. Plus on a base ps4, GT Sport will already take up a huge chunk of the 500gb hdd space. You only get 400 or so for games and GTS takes almost 100GB nowadays, and requires the same in free space for patches.

GTS is quite a chunk game (107.6 GB) and the normal PS4 has only 400 GB for games and other things, so if you have other games than GT Sport go for the Pro.

I'm glad to see an OLED owner that is not in complete denial of screen burn in. My choice in what 4K tv to buy was made by still ongoing burn in issues. I've had it on my Panasonic plasma tv. Not from static images but because so many tv programs were still 4:3 with black borders. Burn in is simply uneven wear, so when there finally was a widescreen program, the sides that were normally dark were now extra bright. It took years for that to go away after all tv converted to 16:9. Black levels got worse over time as well, colors dull. Plasma and OLED degrade over time, if unevenly by static images, hud elements, tag heuer logo between races, it's going to show after a year.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

I would go for the pro. I use it on a 1080p tv, but the faster loading times are already worth it. Plus on a base ps4, GT Sport will already take up a huge chunk of the 500gb hdd space. You only get 400 or so for games and GTS takes almost 100GB nowadays, and requires the same in free space for patches.
I have an LG E6 oled. It does suffer from burn in, but only on specific things, especially very bright reds. My main problem is the Chromecast Youtube screen when its not playing any video (I fell asleep in front of it while playing Youtube a few times :banghead:). Let's say my TV is sponsored by Youtube now :lol:, but you only see it on certain backgrounds, so its not that bad.
As for games, I have 0 burn in from those. They don't usually have very bright static elements. Even HUDs are not much of a problem.

To go back on topic, I agree with @Clean Racer, if going for a Pro means not getting a wheel, go for the wheel instead. If you can get both (shouldn't be too bad with black friday coming up) the Pro is definitely a step up, especially on a TV like that.

Welcome on board, from a technical perspective I'd personally recommend a PS4 Pro. Although it has reached near end of life cycle, it's still a decent investment over the regular PS4.

One of the main reasons is efficiency, it runs on much more optimized architecture and has additional features that are much more capable than the regular unit (i.e. 4K 60p output, faster processing power, supersampling for 2K and below resolution) at the expense of more heat and power drawn.

On an economical point of view, a regular PS4 would offer as much as what a Pro would have, at a lower price point. I'd say roughly 80% of what a PS4 Pro has.

Just another +1 for caution using the OLED, I can still see the faint image of the GT sport speedo and rev counter on my LG and I haven't played games on it for a year, also sky sports news ticker at the bottom. I'm using an LG 4k 43" LED for the gaming now and the PS4 pro looks great on that

edit: to add mine is an older OLED 55EC930V they may be better now

I would by a used PS4 if you can find one in good conditions. Or at least wait until Black friday to see if there are any good deals.

The PS5 will be next year. Its a long wait if you want to play now, and your economy is good.

But still kinda expensive to buy a New PS4 now, and in just about a year there will be a new model wich will be much much better.

Skip PS4 Pro.

I have a 4K set as well and Standard PS4. Looks amazing.

Ofcourse PS4 Pro will offer improvements but with PS5 coming soon its better to get standard ps4.Maybe even a 2nd hand ps4 would do.

Get a Pro. Developers are pushing the hardware now and it shows in terms of frame rates. Especially the new COD. There are areas where the PS4 drops to 40 fps. The Pro drops to 59.

I have a 4K set as well and Standard PS4. Looks amazing.
I think it's important for the OP to be aware of how subjective that assessment is. To me, GTS on a standard PS4 looks poor. On a PS4 Pro it is much better, I'd describe it as mediocre. On PS5 it will probably look good, but to me, amazing isn't going to happen till PS6 or even PS7. The aliasing on a standard PS4 is horrible. On a PS4 Pro it's better but still extremely annoying. PS5 will probably give us a true 4k image that is just as aliased as the base PS4's 1080p image, but it won't look as bad because each pixel will be smaller. PS6 will probably be able to render at 8k (requiring 4x the GPU TFLOPS) and downsample to 4k, which would look pretty decent.

If the OP wants to see the difference, if you search on youtube there are videos that have been uploaded in 4k from the PS4 Pro.

I think it's important for the OP to be aware of how subjective that assessment is. To me, GTS on a standard PS4 looks poor. On a PS4 Pro it is much better, I'd describe it as mediocre.

Don’t look poor or mediocre on my tv, you must have high standards

Don’t look poor or mediocre on my tv, you must have high standards
I might be hyper-sensitive to aliasing, I really really hate it. For me, even 1080p footage from real life looks far superior to PS4 Pro 4k output, partly because of the lack of aliasing.

Without question Pro is a worthwhile option for a 4K TV owner. YouTuber Super GT recently upgraded to a Pro and image quality for his streams improved massively. Together with more consistent performance and better load times.

And even if you don't care about 4K, the 1080p replay at 60fps in Pro is more than worth it.
Yes. Agreed. I often tell my brother (and I think he gets sick of hearing this tbh lol) "Can you believe it, the replays are 60fps only the pro, unbelievable how this looks! " as we watch replays of races in the rain, like at Tokyo at night.

Back