New Avanti's!

I dont know if many people have ever heard of the car company Studebaker because it was only around for a couple years. My dad owns an original "avanti" made by Studebaker. Many people have tried to remake the avanti and failed. Coming in 2004 Studebaker is starting back up again. Im not very happy about this because if they do well nobody will notice my avanti and people will be like "oh look theres another avanti". Why should they even try they've been out of business for over 40 years, why try? The new Studebaker cars dont even look that great. They tried to make them look like the older ones. i'll try to attach some pictures of AN ORIGINAL (i'd take a picture of mine but my dads working on it right now. The one in the picture is alomost the same) and the address for the site with the NEW yet ugly studebakers is www.avantimotors.com

Attachments

• n avanti like dads.jpeg
    n avanti like dads.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 82
LISTER IMAGE

Wheelbase 94.0"
Overall Length 169.0"
Overall Width 67.0"
Height 39.0"
Recommended Engine Chevrolet 5.7 liter
Recommended Transmission Chevrolet 4 Speed manual
Brakes 12" Vented Disc (Front and Rear)
Recommended Tires 225-50-16 Front
225-50-16 Rear
Recommended Wheels 16" x 8" Front
16" x 10" Rear

Performance Tested*:

0-60 mph 3.2 seconds
1/4 mile 11.6 seconds @115 mph
Maximum speed 155+ mph

*With 345hp 5.7 liter engine and 4 speed manual transmission

those are nice numbers

The companies name is NOT Studebaker, they are Avanti Motors. They currently make a model based off of the design of the old Studebaker Avanti, but built off a modified Camaro chassis.

They have an SUV planned similar to the Hummer H2, called the Avanti Studebaker XUV (Studebaker XUV being the name of the vehicle, not the company).

Originally posted by HIGH ON LIFE
The names not what im worrried about its just the fact of the matter. That yet again they try and the cars get uglier each time.

The original wasn't really worth writing home about either...

I dont think the new one looks ugly, is a step-forward design enhacement from the old one. the fact is that the old one was never beautiful, so how do you expect the new one to be? is a very logical step, and I think that it looks like a customized, modernized old avanti, wich I like. hell, it even can be considered like that. think, if your father tought about seriously customize the look of his car, I think he would have come pretty close to what the web page shows.

Cano

thanks for the link

EDIT: bleh, forget it. the design is plagued with errors and completely disproportionate. there is no reason (let alone need) for such a long tail, nose, and so SMALL wheelwells. I could have designed a more compact version that would look very cool. Im with you, it sucks. the old one was absolutely better proportioned. Id take one and try to add some of the design cues of the new one... and a supercharged 390 (: matted to a six speed. bleh, im fantasizing again. :dopey:

The problem with the design I would guess is the Camaro chassis it's riding on, the Camaro has always been way too long with huge overhangs.

Man that's interesting... the side view almost looks like a firebird too?? I don't know if anything can make it look nice but it's a classic in a sublime way I suppose.

Nick
banana.gif
band.gif

lemmie clarify a couple things for you.
1. Studebaker IS still around, as a finance company, I believe...in Canada
2. Stude was making wheels (literally) 25 YEARS before Mercedes!
3. Studebaker was founded as a blacksmith shop in 1852, and became known for their wagon works before getting into cars. The carriage used in the Wizard of Oz from 39 is a Studebaker
4. Studebaker refused to jump into the horsepower race after the Avanti flopped, going for "common sense cars" before dying on their 111th birthday as a manufacturer.

lemmie clarify a couple things for you.
1. Studebaker IS still around, as a finance company, I believe...in Canada
2. Stude was making wheels (literally) 25 YEARS before Mercedes!
3. Studebaker was founded as a blacksmith shop in 1852, and became known for their wagon works before getting into cars. The carriage used in the Wizard of Oz from 39 is a Studebaker
4. Studebaker refused to jump into the horsepower race after the Avanti flopped, going for "common sense cars" before dying on their 111th birthday as a manufacturer.
Umm....this thread is from 2003.

Back