NEW BOP LISTINGS

• Thread starter tomaso777
  • 12 comments
Canada
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Tom_Catastrophic
Balance of Performance Update Notice
06/18/2020
The day before the listings were announced. But when I try to match them to my garage cars it is impossible to match perfectly. I figured it was because I had bought more performance and the percentages were off by 2 or 3 horsepower. However, even on cars that had not changed BOP I still couldn't match the new listing. Is it possible my game has not been updated even though it is current? Has anyone else seen the same problem? Thanks

It's almost certainly the difference between HP and BHP. The in game listings are all BHP, but the list on the website are in HP.
This is categorically not true.

"BHP" means "brake horsepower", and it is very specifically a measurement of engine power, measured by a braking dynamometer on the crankshaft. It is measured in units of horsepower, thus "bhp" is always expressed as "hp". A car with 600bhp will also have 600hp at the crank.

You can measure vehicle power in different ways, such as wheel horsepower (whp), but these are also expressed in the same units. The difference between bhp and whp is in the order of 15% (more for 4WD), not 1%. A car with 600bhp may have around 510hp at the wheel, though this depends on powertrain efficiency and friction losses from the valves down to the wheel hubs.

For some reason, people confuse this with the difference between metric and imperial horsepower, which is what I flagged in my post.

They are wholly different units which measure the same thing in different ways - 1hp is 550lbft/s, 1PS is 75kgm/s - but the difference in values is 1.4%. That means that a car with 600PS will have 592hp - which is much more like what the user is noting, with smaller differences for lower power cars (if we're talking about Gr4 cars with power around 300-350hp the difference will be around 4hp).

I used the wrong unit names but I was clearly explaining the same thing as you're saying now, in that the website lists one of them and the game the other leading to a small (1.4%) discrepancy in power.

It's also true what I said that the important thing is the actual BOP percentage. If the website lists X% adjustment and the game lists the same %, everything is correct.

It's almost certainly the difference between HP and BHP. The in game listings are all BHP, but the list on the website are in HP.

Your game is updated fine. The key is to look at the percentages: if the list says you should have 103% power and the game says you get 103% then it's correct. Nevermind the actual bhp number.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/nurburgring-2h40m-finished.395781/page-3#post-13229773
Thank you. I will go with %.

This is categorically not true.

"BHP" means "brake horsepower", and it is very specifically a measurement of engine power, measured by a braking dynamometer on the crankshaft. It is measured in units of horsepower, thus "bhp" is always expressed as "hp". A car with 600bhp will also have 600hp at the crank.

You can measure vehicle power in different ways, such as wheel horsepower (whp), but these are also expressed in the same units. The difference between bhp and whp is in the order of 15% (more for 4WD), not 1%. A car with 600bhp may have around 510hp at the wheel, though this depends on powertrain efficiency and friction losses from the valves down to the wheel hubs.

For some reason, people confuse this with the difference between metric and imperial horsepower, which is what I flagged in my post.

They are wholly different units which measure the same thing in different ways - 1hp is 550lbft/s, 1PS is 75kgm/s - but the difference in values is 1.4%. That means that a car with 600PS will have 592hp - which is much more like what the user is noting, with smaller differences for lower power cars (if we're talking about Gr4 cars with power around 300-350hp the difference will be around 4hp).
Thanks! You are very knowledgeable.

I used the wrong unit names but I was clearly explaining the same thing as you're saying now, in that the website lists one of them and the game the other leading to a small (1.4%) discrepancy in power.

It's also true what I said that the important thing is the actual BOP percentage. If the website lists X% adjustment and the game lists the same %, everything is correct.

Yes, thank you. I find it is important to have exact same power and or % when using TT for practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
As opposed to the empirically exact imperial unit?

:lol:
All Imperial units are like that - and this one is derived from other units that have a basis in the mean of 16 people's extremities and the density of wine. They take a quality and turn it into a quantity.

The metric system is supposed to be better. You have seven base units, and every other derived unit is one of those multiplied or divided by another one. Aside from the fact that the base units themselves are derived from slightly less-than-empirical sources (seconds and metres among them), there is nothing qualitative about it.

But then along comes "PS", like a bastard lovechild of the two. Oh, hey, we like horsepower but it's in badgers per fortnight or something so we just converted the units to sensible regular ones and rounded it off to the nearest, nice-looking whole number, so I'm how much power is needed to lift 75kg through a metre vertically in a second!

It's toss, because it's a metricised Imperial unit and not a metric unit. The metric unit of power is watts. Thankfully European law means that car manufacturers must publish power in watts (any other unit is for supplementary information only), so it's easy to spot whether a manufacturer is using nice, consistent Imperial hp or vile, chimaeric PS - usually the latter because bigger numbers - and it means I never have to use such an awful affront to measurement on GTP.

Is your game using real horsepower units, or the awful fake metricised approximation PS unit?
It is the GT Sport. Even cars that have never had any changes such as bought power can't match the BOP released in July.

It is the GT Sport.
Well... yes, this is the GT Sport forum. That doesn't answer what I asked.

Different regional versions of the game use different units for things, and you can select them to preference in some versions. Miles or kilometres for distances and speed, for example.

If you have a version which allows you to select the PS power unit instead of the hp power unit, all of your power numbers will be 1.4% higher at the same BOP value. That would cause this:

Even cars that have never had any changes such as bought power can't match the BOP released in July.
Whereas in my game, with the correct hp unit, they're all correct.

The is an easy fix for this. When you are in TT and want the same power/weight you look on the left side of the settings page where the specific numbers for the car is. There is a box for BOP, tick that and the settings match the race bop

Well... yes, this is the GT Sport forum. That doesn't answer what I asked.

Different regional versions of the game use different units for things, and you can select them to preference in some versions. Miles or kilometres for distances and speed, for example.

If you have a version which allows you to select the PS power unit instead of the hp power unit, all of your power numbers will be 1.4% higher at the same BOP value. That would cause this:

Whereas in my game, with the correct hp unit, they're all correct.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back