NEW BUILD! (Or Should I Wait for Something?)

United States
Inland Empire SoCal
SOLID_LIFTERS
Putting together a new PC. I'm scaling back a bit from my "ultimate PC" I was designing a year ago. I just don't play that many games to warrant a 'latest and greatest' video card. A ATI 5750 should do fine enough.

But, the big question is, what should I be wating for that's going to be 'hot,' or new, coming out soon? I've already waited for the following:

• USB 3.0
  • SATA III (6gb/s)
  • 6 Core CPU (AMD 1090T)
  • SATA III HDD (SSD included)

Here's what I got picked out so far. I wanted to keep things small. I don't want a big PC case in my way. I plan to keep the Atom 330 PC for light internet duties.

1 CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139012
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$139.99
$119.99

1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835185125
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $29.99

1 Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller
Item #: N82E16811998055
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $31.99

1 G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS
Item #: N82E16820231322
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $159.99

1 ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131654
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $104.99
4 Rosewill RFA-120-K 120mm Case Fan
Item #: N82E16835200048
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $17.96

1 AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103849
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$305.99
$295.99

1 GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814125309
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$169.99
$159.99

1 Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820148357
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $144.99

1 COOLER MASTER Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119193
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant
$44.99
$39.99

1 LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
Item #: N82E16827136181
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $109.99

I got the higer rated RAM because I wanted 2000. However, I learned that the 2200 was cheaper, for some reason. I also learned I could underclock it to 2000, which is an overclock from 1333 as far as the Motherboard is concerned, and I'll get much better performance by reducing the CAS to 6. I understand a lower CAS is what a AMD chip likes best.

As far as OS, it's Windows 7 Professional Pro, or whatever is listed below...

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Professional Version OEM Disclaimer: Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows
Version: Professional
System Requirements: If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit (x64) processor 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available hard disk space or 20 GB (64-bit) DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Packaging: OEM
Model #: FQC-00765
Item #: N82E16832116758
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

Now: $139.99
Free Shipping

BTW, what's the difference between 'Full' and 'OEM' versions of Windows 6 Pro? I noticed the full version is $90 more.

Last edited:
BTW, what's the difference between 'Full' and 'OEM' versions of Windows 6 Pro? I noticed the full version is $90 more.

You get no support from Microsoft, plus you can only install it on one machine. So that can be a problem if you upgrade hardware heavily later on.

Wait for the next gen sandforce and indilinx controllers to get SSDs and SATA3 boards. It's coming Q4.

I wanted something smaller. Saw no huge difference between the two, performance wise.

I see. I would prefer the extra space and flexibility.

I hate Intels. Plus, the price difference is huge.

I was just wondering. The i7 quad cores in that price range are pretty much on par with that processor and generally better for gaming. But the AMD might be a bit better in the future as applications take more advantage of multiple cores. And the next processor in their line-up will be compatible with the AM3 socket. Intel is ditching both their current sockets.

You most likely wouldn't be able to get to DDR3-2000 speeds. Here is a good read. 4th page is where they attempt to reach 2000.

Wait for the next gen sandforce and indilinx controllers to get SSDs and SATA3 boards. It's coming Q4.
So, having a SATA III board and a SATA III SSD is not enough? I have to watch out for the 'controllers.' Thanks for the info. I would have never known that.

I see. I would prefer the extra space and flexibility.

I was just wondering. The i7 quad cores in that price range are pretty much on par with that processor and generally better for gaming. But the AMD might be a bit better in the future as applications take more advantage of multiple cores. And the next processor in their line-up will be compatible with the AM3 socket. Intel is ditching both their current sockets.

You most likely wouldn't be able to get to DDR3-2000 speeds. Here is a good read. 4th page is where they attempt to reach 2000.

I understand Cas latency is critical for the AMDs. If I can't get to 2000, the next highest with lower cas latency would be fine.

So, having a SATA III board and a SATA III SSD is not enough? I have to watch out for the 'controllers.' Thanks for the info. I would have never known that.

No, the controllers are part of the SSDs. The SSD is made up of flash memory and a controller which is what writes and reads that memory.

The fastest current controllers saturate the SATA3gbps connection. So if you go for an SSD right now it's not so important to have SATA6gbps.

But the new controllers will be coming out and they are apparently supposed to saturate the 6gbps connection. So that's like twice as fast as what's out there now.

And it probably makes sense to wait for it unless you absolutely need something right now. Intel's new architecture, etc., will likely be out by then too.

No, the controllers are part of the SSDs. The SSD is made up of flash memory and a controller which is what writes and reads that memory.

Yes, I know that. I didn't mean to sound like it was a third seperate item.

What I meant was I had no idea about the controllers, in the SSD. I asumed since the SSD I picked out it was SATA III meant I could get SATA III speeds. I guess not, so I guess I'm not going to buy this stuff, just yet.

The fastest current controllers saturate the SATA3gbps connection. So if you go for an SSD right now it's not so important to have SATA6gbps.

But the new controllers will be coming out and they are apparently supposed to saturate the 6gbps connection. So that's like twice as fast as what's out there now.

And it probably makes sense to wait for it unless you absolutely need something right now. Intel's new architecture, etc., will likely be out by then too.

No, I'm going to wait. I don't NEED it right now, just want it right now. But, I'm patient with computers. I can wait.

I'm also thinking the AMD 1090 might be a little too much for me. It's a good $100 more for only about an extra 1,000 points on benchmark tests. I don't think it's worth it, right now.

Are you talking about that Crucial SSD? It reads faster than SATAII max speed, but is nowhere near the maximum SATAIII speed.

Does anybody know the ETA on these yet? I haven't read a word about it since this post. This is what's holding up this new build.

Also, what's up with this CPU? The Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

It's one of the fastest Intel Core i7 chips, yet it costs 3 to 4 times LESS than other Core i7 that don't operate as fast! So, what's wrong with it? Is it not future proof? Made from the bones of innocent, homeless children? What?

If there's nothing wrong with it, I will be using this for my new build. Which means this thread would be useless and I'll just start over.

No Sandy Bridge is just basically the sex right now. Have fun with 4.5GHz+ Overclocks on the stock cooler. *drool*

No Sandy Bridge is just basically the sex right now. Have fun with 4.5GHz+ Overclocks on the stock cooler. *drool*

OK.

What I like about this chip, I don't need a video card since I'm not that into gaming. That's going to save me some money and reduce the heat build up and power consumption of my PC. I like that a lot!

OK.

What I like about this chip, I don't need a video card since I'm not that into gaming. That's going to save me some money and reduce the heat build up and power consumption of my PC. I like that a lot!
Then make sure you get the H67 version MB than the P67 MB. H version has video out. P version doesn't.

From memory the stupid thing is the K-Series chips (The ones you can overclock), has the HD3000 graphics, and the non K Chips, have the HD2000 graphics, which are worse. So stick with the K Option chips, even though they're slightly more expensive.

Are you planning on doing any overclocking? If not, you should be fine with the stock cooler; you shouldn't need a big, nice, extra CPU cooling fan if you're not overclocking.

As Casio said, Sandy Bridge is pretty much king of the hill right now. I've heard of some midgrade (I think?) Sandy Bridges beating 6-core AMD chips. These things are FAST. Sure, there are still some older i7 chips that will be faster, but not at Sandy Bridge prices. No way, no how.

The K series have an unlocked multiplier, while the non-K series have a locked multiplier. If you plan on overclocking a lot, the unlocked multiplier will give you much more overclocking flexibility. Also, as Casio said, it looks like the K series chips have slightly better feature set.

Sandy Bridge is pretty much the way to go now.

Are you planning on doing any overclocking? If not, you should be fine with the stock cooler; you shouldn't need a big, nice, extra CPU cooling fan if you're not overclocking.

As Casio said, Sandy Bridge is pretty much king of the hill right now. I've heard of some midgrade (I think?) Sandy Bridges beating 6-core AMD chips. These things are FAST. Sure, there are still some older i7 chips that will be faster, but not at Sandy Bridge prices. No way, no how.

The K series have an unlocked multiplier, while the non-K series have a locked multiplier. If you plan on overclocking a lot, the unlocked multiplier will give you much more overclocking flexibility. Also, as Casio said, it looks like the K series chips have slightly better feature set.

Sandy Bridge is pretty much the way to go now.

Like I posted before, I'm not into PC video games that much. Also, overclocking is not my thing, either. I understand those two go together hand-in-hand. Sure, I would like to play some video games but I think the K series is just fine enough for me.

With the K series chip and a H67 motherboard, you can still overclock but it's only the video processing. So, if I do get into video games I can overclock the video processor in the chip. That's more what I need or want. I plan to use this PC more for TV viewing than any thing else.

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz Average CPU Mark 9608
Description:
CPU First Benchmarked: 2010-11-17
CPUmark/$Price: 29.12 Overall Rank: 6
Last Price Change: $329.99 USD (2011-01-10)

Samples: 85

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Average CPU Mark 6131
Description:
CPU First Benchmarked: 2010-12-10
CPUmark/$Price: 22.71 Overall Rank: 32
Last Price Change: $269.99 USD (2011-01-06)

Samples: 36

Last edited:
Processor: Wait until the new AMD Bulldozer (or Intel competitor line) come out.
USB 3: Not widely used, so it's more of a gimmick.
Sata 3: Not that important, unless you plan on running 4 SSD's in RAID 0

Another thing to wait for: PCI Express 3.0. It will allow over twice the speed of PCI Express 2.1.

I wouldn't wait. MicroCenter just lowered the price of the i7 2600K down to $279. They always do this with a few top CPU's to get you into their store.
I bought my Q9550 for below cost from MC.

Back