New Codemasters Rally Title to be Announced by October

Discussion in 'DiRT Series' started by Pfei, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Pfei

Pfei

Phil Mills posted on Facebook today "Back in the co driver seat again today.. in a studio though!! A full day of recording getting a new rally game ready for launch early next year... good fun and the closest to the real thing I have ever experienced! Full details in about 6 weeks."

38637508_1073903109450403_169974464610566144_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

So, DiRT 5, DiRT Rally 2 or even possibly WRC 8 will be announced by Codemasters before October. Just in case anyone is still on the fence, this is Paul Coleman recording the pace notes for DiRT Rally in the same room:

[​IMG]

Source:

[EDIT]Phil's post has been removed. Luckily I got a screen shot:

Screenshot from 2018-08-07 07-50-04.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM
  2. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

Very nice, hoping more for another DiRT title rather than WRC, especially with the greater licensing flexibility. Plus I'm hoping Codies make more use of that FIA Rallycross license.

Pfei likes this.
  3. cjr3559

cjr3559 Premium

My initial hunch it’s a WRC game. But who knows. We’ll see!

Pfei likes this.
  4. Theiceman1

Theiceman1

Who has the wrc liscense now...?

Pfei likes this.
  5. Pfei

Pfei

Wouldn't we all like to know!

MrCrynox and Theiceman1 like this.
  6. MXH

MXH Premium

Don't disappoint me, CM. I'm crossing my fingers for an official WRC game and WRX mixed with DR's brilliance.

Pfei likes this.
  7. MildAshers

MildAshers Premium

Dirt rally 2 sounds most likely as it has been hinted at many times in the past.

That said the first dirt rally did have licensed WRC machinery so I wouldn't necessarily rule out a WRC game. I think the world has cried out long enough for a codemasters developed WRC title.

Who says it has to be one or the other anyway. Could easily be both.

MrCrynox and Pfei like this.
  8. er185es

er185es

9. Pfei

Pfei

They look like domain speculators. They don't own any of the domains Codies uses, including codemasters.com, dirtgame.com and dirt4game.com, nor do they own older domains that redirect to something else Codies like dirt3game.com, dirt2game.com...

10. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Hopefully nobody. Individual game companies doing deals with the manufacturers would be best. Then we can have a bit of WRC in GT, Dirt, V-Rally and whatever Milestone slap together on their lunch break.

Theiceman1 and Pfei like this.
  11. Pfei

Pfei

V-Rally 4 and The Crew 2 have WRC cars. GTS has an F1 car. What you cannot do when there is an official license tied to one publisher is use multiple cars in a competing game. Kaz could put the Yaris WRC into GTS if he wanted to, but none of the other three WRC cars.

No one knows if Bigben still holds the license or not and there has been lots of speculation that Codemasters could be the new holders, or even Milestone making a WRC comeback. Then again the license could just be dead.

I agree free licensing is ideal in order to have games with tons of cars like DR and SLRE, but official licensing comes with strict terms that force the dev to at least release a pretty complete game. Unfortunately we haven't had a good WRC game since the Evolution days, although Milestone's WRC 4 and Kylotonn's WRC 7 were decent.

Theiceman1 and SlimCharles like this.
  12. cjr3559

cjr3559 Premium

I don’t know, I would rather a game focus on a certain discipline rather than be ‘jack of all trades master of none’. GTS Rally comes to mind.

Pfei likes this.
  13. Pfei

Pfei

That's why I am applauding Kunos for going monoseries with AC Competizione. Stick to one class, put in the weather, the time, the physics, the environmental influence on track conditions, and make sure it's working. Once you have a base add 1000 cars if you want, but things have become so complex I think it's ideal to limit racing games to certain categories for consistency and to make it easier to launch a game that "works out of the box" without one year of updates, which is what too many over ambitious games are doing these days, and they end up being buggy messes on launch day and usually never get everything fixed.

cjr3559 and lancia delta hf like this.
  14. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

It's rare for rally(cross) to be treated to a genuinely good game, though. Other disciplines also come to mind, like various vintage classes, or roadcars mated to a legitimately realistic physics engine for once. Things that aren't as popular kind of need to ride the coattails of popular disciplines to be represented in a quality game that will sell.

15. VXR

VXR

Rather than focus on a current series, I'd much prefer a Group N and A approach and have as wide a field of cars from the last 30 years as possible. Plenty of games have featured these modern WRC spec cars, lets have some more honest-to-goodness rallying from the golden era of production based regs.

Wolfe likes this.
  16. warp9engage

warp9engage

Can you name a game, outside the official WRC title, that features more than one of the new-spec machines?

I like the classics too, but the new cars are just insane. I'd love to see them in their new game, even if they are not in the most up-to-date spec.

Pfei and MrCrynox like this.
  17. VXR

VXR

If not strictly WRC spec, games such as GT Sport and Forza have high power, high cost rally cars in them that are so far removed from their production version they barely resemble them.

18. RedRockValley

RedRockValley

Honestly I just want more Group A cars from the late 90s and early 2000s, such as the Peugeot 206 and the Hyundai Accent.

Rally games I find focus too much on Group B and present rally cars nowadays.

VXR and MrCrynox like this.
  19. MrCrynox

MrCrynox

That era of cars would be nice, but can you name a game, outside the official WRC title, that features more than one of the new-spec machines?

20. jake2013guy

jake2013guy

I'd definitely like to see how CM would do a modern Rally game. They do a good job of the F1 games but they're probably a different kettle of fish in a number of different ways.

21. Mr Satay

Mr Satay

Nice! Evolution Studios made the first WRC games on PS2 and that studio is now with Codemasters, things are coming full circle

RedRockValley likes this.
  22. Pfei

Pfei

Not anymore. Most of the Evo team was fired a couple weeks ago.

23. RedRockValley

RedRockValley

Aw, why'd they do that for? :(

24. Pfei

Pfei

25. Mr Satay

Mr Satay

Ahhh yes thats right =( What luck