New Details Emerge About Project CARS 2's Manual Pit Stops, Multi-class Racing, and More

PS4 does not support multiple screens.
It's still very much a thing, check out ISRTV for some incredible rigs.

XXI
PS4 does not support multiple screens.
It's still very much a thing, check out ISRTV for some incredible rigs.

Sorry, I'm confused.... if PS4 does NOT support it, how is it still a thing? If you mean triples on PC then yes, I know it is. That's how I run. But I was specifically referring to it on PS4.

Hmmmm...I've held off buying PCars 1 because I've read so much about the game being VERY DS4 unfriendly ( G27 owner here, d'oh! :( ). But, I recall reading/hearing(?) the devs talk about a much improved DS4/XB1 controller support this time. This game, already (yep, apologies for being presumptuous) sounds like my personal racing game heaven. I look forward to continuing news. HEY ! PD ! Please pay attention ! Converse with your fans please !

If PC2 turns out to be the game that it allures to become, I will buy a new wheel, despite still being a bit peeved at the PS4/G27 situation...

This game will set the features for a simcade... I cannot believe that SMS can give us a driving model on par to real simulators like AC, RF2, iR, R3E and so on... They are able to make funny driving games but not able to make simulators...

pCars driving model is realistic? compared to AC or R3E pCars is an arcade game...
pCars like FM and GT are all simcades cause they are not so accurate in their driving model like real simulators cause they aim to have a wider audience...

It still doesn't matter, as this is all contextual and not really worth arguing about. You call AC a simulator, for example, but I call it a game because I don't use it for the true purpose of a simulator (i.e. to increase real-world skill). They all 'simulate' reality to a degree. To that end, I consider PCars to be more of a simulator because it feels much more immersive to me, and therefore provides a better simulation of reality.

You would likely take issue with that and I completely understand. You are free to disagree, that's the beauty of it.

Sorry, I'm confused.... if PS4 does NOT support it, how is it still a thing? If you mean triples on PC then yes, I know it is. That's how I run. But I was specifically referring to it on PS4.

You asked if it's still a thing after saying the industry is VR focused, opening dialogue for all platforms.

I assumed you closed the PS4 talk in the first paragraph.
Triples will always be around Sony or not, until someone comes forward with 90 degree screen technology.
I personally really dislike VR.

Hmmmm...I've held off buying PCars 1 because I've read so much about the game being VERY DS4 unfriendly ( G27 owner here, d'oh! :( ). But, I recall reading/hearing(?) the devs talk about a much improved DS4/XB1 controller support this time. This game, already (yep, apologies for being presumptuous) sounds like my personal racing game heaven. I look forward to continuing news. HEY ! PD ! Please pay attention ! Converse with your fans please !

If PC2 turns out to be the game that it allures to become, I will buy a new wheel, despite still being a bit peeved at the PS4/G27 situation...

Yes @Sploshington , the talk of PCars 1 being DS4 unfriendly is true. Fantastic game but to really enjoy it it's better with a good racing wheel. I've seen talk of PCars 2 being more DS4 friendly but I think it still will be much better with a wheel. Can't go wrong.

All these new features sound really promising if they can pull it off mostly bug-free and with more stable framerate performance on PS4.0. Still being really cautious about this.

Yes @Sploshington , the talk of PCars 1 being DS4 unfriendly is true. Fantastic game but to really enjoy it it's better with a good racing wheel. I've seen talk of PCars 2 being more DS4 friendly but I think it still will be much better with a wheel. Can't go wrong.

A new wheel seems the logical step. I have a brilliant IONRAX stand image - http://ionrax.theweb.tw/2013ebay/images/RS2_RS1b_Seat_1.jpg for my G27, ( review here - not by me - ) for GT6. It had a REALLY solid housing for the gear shift, which is so important and even comes with a fully functional handbrake ( which i never used haha! ). The stand is so solid and was perfect for me. I'm not sure they make them any more though ( cannot find one anywhere on Ebay or Amazon now ) :( I also modded my G27 with the GTEYE pedal springs and it made GT6 actually fun. You beome one with the road with a good gaming wheel i think...

I'm not sure i can go back to joypad for racing games. I play Drive Club, once in a while...and the joypad experience is REALLY lame ( and overly twitchy ) compared to a wheel, in that game anyway. I think I will end up getting a reasonably priced wheel for up and coming racing games on my PS4. Oh yea. **** YOU Sony and Logitech for manipulating new sales, by neglecting drivers for a perfectly good wheel in the G27 ! It will be hilarious if PD accommodate their own personal drivers for said wheel, if it happens :) Though, at this point - Project Cars 2 is a far more attractive option than GT Sport - to me, personally...

Last edited:
yes... All cool features but the core if the game?
I am pretty sure the driving in PC2 will be not sp simulation...
SMS spend too much time showing things not strictly necessary but look.cool and create hype...

YES PC2 will be a GTS/FM.killer cause it will be a simcade too... ;)

Its hardly impossible to make screenshot from FFB funtionality or grip. Sure you saw videos of changing weather conditions or lifetrack waterflow. But they cannot do a screenshot how it feels.

I only can say "it feels GREAT" :P

This game will set the features for a simcade... I cannot believe that SMS can give us a driving model on par to real simulators like AC, RF2, iR, R3E and so on... They are able to make funny driving games but not able to make simulators...

pCars driving model is realistic? compared to AC or R3E pCars is an arcade game...
pCars like FM and GT are all simcades cause they are not so accurate in their driving model like real simulators cause they aim to have a wider audience...
I don't think most people care about the level of simulation a game has so long as they know going in what to expect and that the game delivers on those expectations. The issues with zero camber being faster in PCars, for example, I'm sure peeved a lot of people off, because they expected it to work properly and it didn't. From what I can gather, they have addressed those types of issues in this version of the game. Console gamers in particular, seem to be really hungry for a well rounded racing game that has many of the features of real life racing, including dynamic time and weather, if this forum is any indication. If it's a good game and everything works smoothly from the beginning, most players won't care about how accurately the finer details are simulated, so long as they work to some degree.

I don't think most people care about the level of simulation a game has so long as they know going in what to expect and that the game delivers on those expectations. The issues with zero camber being faster in PCars, for example, I'm sure peeved a lot of people off, because they expected it to work properly and it didn't. From what I can gather, they have addressed those types of issues in this version of the game. Console gamers in particular, seem to be really hungry for a well rounded racing game that has many of the features of real life racing, including dynamic time and weather, if this forum is any indication. If it's a good game and everything works smoothly from the beginning, most players won't care about how accurately the finer details are simulated, so long as they work to some degree.
Yes.... But this dont make pCars a simullation....
I own pCars and it's fun to drive but it's not a simulation... It's a funny simcade...
If i want a real simulation i jump into AC or R3E or rF2...

Its hardly impossible to make screenshot from FFB funtionality or grip. Sure you saw videos of changing weather conditions or lifetrack waterflow. But they cannot do a screenshot how it feels.

I only can say "it feels GREAT" :P
I only can say "it seemms great" cause before getting a pCars2 car on the track and testing if the driving is on par with all the candies we must drive the game...
This is why i dont understand all the hype about not necessary things in a simulation like the animations of the pit crew or things like that...
Only the weather changes and day/night cycle i miss in AC...

I wrote this big long reply in defense of your position because I completely agree, but then I realized it would be met with the exact same opposing argument as your statement here and I would be back to square one. :cheers:

This is why i dont understand all the hype about not necessary things in a simulation like the animations of the pit crew or things like that...

Normally I wouldn't even engage in this silly argument, but this is just too hilarious...

Simulating more of real world racing doesn't make a simulation better, but ONLY if it's not included in your favorite simulation?

How are eternal science projects, based on simplistic tire models from 30 years ago, with gran turismo like AI and with as many YT fail videos as all the others considered 'simulation' by you, while others that push the genre forward in all areas you call 'funny simcades'?

If I don't care for a game, I simply ignore it and move on or, if I'm a fan of the genre, support all contenders equally by actually buying all products on offer and enjoy the wealth of experiences I have nowadays.

If we go into pigeonholing, for what I currently have on my XBox One I feel it is like this:

sim: Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, Dirt Rally
simcade: F1 2016, Forza Motorsport 5&6, Forza Horizon 2&3, The Crew
arcade: Need For Speed

I can't comment on the Forza series', as I haven't played them all this gen, but I'd say the Crew probably belongs in the Arcade column. Otherwise I agree with your categorisation. Although, I must say, The Crew is surprisingly competent with a wheel.

Normally I wouldn't even engage in this silly argument, but this is just too hilarious...

Simulating more of real world racing doesn't make a simulation better, but ONLY if it's not included in your favorite simulation?

How are eternal science projects, based on simplistic tire models from 30 years ago, with gran turismo like AI and with as many YT fail videos as all the others considered 'simulation' by you, while others that push the genre forward in all areas you call 'funny simcades'?

If I don't care for a game, I simply ignore it and move on or, if I'm a fan of the genre, support all contenders equally by actually buying all products on offer and enjoy the wealth of experiences I have nowadays.

So much this.

Things like pit crew animation are a non necessary thing like some special effects like the high speed blur of pCars...
Using movies as a measure we can consider those like special effects... Special effects are not badbut they cannot make a good movie alone... You need first of all a good script and good directing/acting... Then cam good sceneries/costumes and good lightning and so on... In a SIMULATOR the driving model is the FIRST thing... pCars proved to have a not Perfect one and the quality of the sequel is still to prove... So i will get hyped for the new candies only if i know the cake they sit on is good... Just this...

About the tire model and the AI...
Do you know that tires being connected to the Ground are a very important thing in a car in particolar racing cars? With a wrong tire choice you can ruin your race... And i think is not so smart to talk about AI of other games when pCars has a not so good one, probably worst of the GT one you talled about...

Yes.... But this dont make pCars a simullation....
I own pCars and it's fun to drive but it's not a simulation... It's a funny simcade...
If i want a real simulation i jump into AC or R3E or rF2...

Assetto Corsa is a great driving game and is the most realistic handling that I can play on Xbox. So I certainly see it as a simulation. Yet the track conditions- variable weather, lighting, night conditions are lame or non existent.

So yes, it might be a sim but it is a sim with arcade weather conditions. And for me realistic track conditions make a huge part of what a racing simulator should be. That is the reason cars have wipers on the windows....

Pcars 2, imo, will destroy everything on console if they can iron out their handling and bugs.

But, but...driving that one car on that one track is just sublime, man.

In a SIMULATOR the driving model is the FIRST thing... pCars proved to have a not Perfect one and the quality of the sequel is still to prove...

None of the sims you listed as being "real simulators" have a perfect driving model. They are all a long way from perfect. Hell, AC flat out doesn't even model a whole bunch of things. Calling Pcars "simcade" and then throwing around a bunch of other sims as being "real sims" is just ridiculous. AC does some things better than Pcars does, for sure, but Pcars does some things better than AC. Also, just because certain things have been more realistically simulated in one game than they have been in another, does not make one game a simulator and another a "simcade".

I could easily use your flawed and quite frankly ridiculous logic to tell you that AC, R3E, and RF2 are all arcade racing games, because they all lack the accuracy of F1 simulators.

Things like pit crew animation are a non necessary thing like some special effects like the high speed blur of pCars...

Sure, but simulating dynamically changing weather, time of day, and other atmospheric considerations, has definitely become something of a necessity to me when I look for a realistic sim. As does a good dynamic surface model.

i think is not so smart to talk about AI of other games when pCars has a not so good one, probably worst of the GT one you talled about...

Pcars' AI definitely has it's flaws, which I have gone into great detail in the past explaining, but it's far and away superior to GT. Also, RF2 and AC have some of the worst AI you can find in a racing game these days. RF2's AI is definitely worse than GT6's, with AC's maybe marginally better. In any case, you just seem to be slinging mud at a game you don't like, and claiming it doesn't belong to the genre it's in, simply because you think other games in the genre are better. You've got nothing but "they feel more realistic to me" to back up your stance, and you just make yourself look foolish by carrying on about it the way you are. Especially in a Project Cars sub-forum. Seriously mate, if you hate the game so much, why are you even here?

I'll bypass all the labelling nonsense, and get to the crux of the thread. ;)

I like the sound of all the details described in the news item. 👍
I particularly like the idea of manual pit-stops, and really like the way the "real-world penalties" have been described.
Hopefully they can get all these ideas up and running.

I'll bypass all the labelling nonsense, and get to the crux of the thread. ;)

I like the sound of all the details described in the news item. 👍
I particularly like the idea of manual pit-stops, and really like the way the "real-world penalties" have been described.
Hopefully they can get all these ideas up and running.

There's obviously a lot to get excited about, but for me, the three most exciting things are:
  1. Live Track 3.0. This is by a long way the most realistic dynamic surface model attempted in a racing game, and the staggering amount of scenarios simulated is hugely exciting to me. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm excited by the idea of working circuit drainage in a sim lol.

2. The tyre model. The Seta tyre model in Pcars was a pretty major step for sim racing, but it was fundamentally flawed. However, the fully dynamic nature of it meant that if SMS could fix it's issues, and get it all working the way they wanted to, it would be a much better way to simulate tyre behaviour than the typical tyre models used by every other sim. Kudos to SMS for taking the big step to building a new and innovative tyre model, rather than take the safer route of building a similar tyre model to every other sim that has come out in the last 10 - 20 years.

3. Last, but certainly not least, Ian saying that they are committed to a long QA period, to iron out the problems, and the fact that they won't commit to a release date yet because they refuse to release it in an unacceptable state. This is very important, as it shows they have learned from the mistakes of the first game.

There's obviously a lot to get excited about, but for me, the three most exciting things are:
  1. Live Track 3.0. This is by a long way the most realistic dynamic surface model attempted in a racing game, and the staggering amount of scenarios simulated is hugely exciting to me. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm excited by the idea of working circuit drainage in a sim lol.

2. The tyre model. The Seta tyre model in Pcars was a pretty major step for sim racing, but it was fundamentally flawed. However, the fully dynamic nature of it meant that if SMS could fix it's issues, and get it all working the way they wanted to, it would be a much better way to simulate tyre behaviour than the typical tyre models used by every other sim. Kudos to SMS for taking the big step to building a new and innovative tyre model, rather than take the safer route of building a similar tyre model to every other sim that has come out in the last 10 - 20 years.

3. Last, but certainly not least, Ian saying that they are committed to a long QA period, to iron out the problems, and the fact that they won't commit to a release date yet because they refuse to release it in an unacceptable state. This is very important, as it shows they have learned from the mistakes of the first game.
Absolutely. 👍

I'm a little time-poor atm, but I'm trying to keep up to date with the news for this game.
The Q&A sessions are brilliant and are great for someone in my situation, and the team gets my congrats. on their participation with the public and encouragement to continue on the path they're on. 👍
And best of all, from what I've read so far I'ld be struggling to come up with something I don't like. :)
It all sounds good to me.

It does seem to me that a lot of these features are rather ambitious, and I can see "Septemberish" coming around fairly quickly.
But if they can wrap-up all these details into a game that performs they way the team are happy and can be proud of, the ultimate release date is of no concern to me. ;)

Back