new DFGT wheel user

  • Thread starter Thread starter shade71
  • 19 comments
  • 2,001 views

shade71

Nissan R89 Race Car '89
(Banned)
Messages
198
Messages
shade71
Any tips for settings and learning to drive with it?
 
Honestly I have wanted one for the longest time and my wife came home with one last week. Used it for about 2 hours put it back in the box and took it back to gamestop. forcefeed back for me sucks. Even going in a straight line on SSR7 at 130 MPH the FF kicks in even turned all the way down.
 
Yeah always hear how wheels give a nice advantage, not really feeling it after several hours.
 
Yeah always hear how wheels give a nice advantage, not really feeling it after several hours.

I was like that for a while and was gettin no where then it all went right.

Just stick with it. :D
 
Yeah always hear how wheels give a nice advantage, not really feeling it after several hours.

What kind of settings do you use?
 
Most people hate steering wheels at first. You have to stick with it for a little while.

It WILL make sense.
 
You've probably got around a 30 day return policy. I highly suggest taking most of that time to use the wheel. I fell in love with my dfgt right out of the box. Took me a few days to get the hang of it but I can tell than I am MUCH smoother and faster than my controller using friends
 
Thanks guys ill just keep at it.
 
"forcefeed back for me sucks"

if your referring to one of the logitech wheels, e.g. DFGT, there is a huge force feedback dead zone that your basically stuck with due to the design.

I formerly used the logitech G25 and did not care for the need to compensate for the deadzone by holding the wheel in a death grip. I now use a fanatec GT3 RS V2 and there is no deadzone to contend with on straights. I can focus all my attention on the car and track and not on making adjustments for the design of the wheel. I have the force feedback and shock set to 100%.
 
I love my DFGT now but the first week for me was a big learning period. I found if you keep spinning out try an AWD car like an Evo. These are fast whilst remaining pretty easy to drive. Just don't try driving with all aids on because when you switch them off you'll be learning all over again. Though by all means use ABS or TCS to learn just stay clear of SRF and active steering.
 
I sucked with mine for the first 2 days. I first tried it out on a 800 hp GTR, not a good idea, I just kept spinning out and crashing. I thought the controller sucked but then realized it was just me that sucked at it and I needed to learn how to use it. Just stick with the wheel and practice a lot starting with low hp cars. Do the sunday cup and clubman cup for practice. I am much smoother with the wheel and using the ds3 after the wheel makes me feel like I have no control. Also, remember to go to wheel settings to adjust the force feedback and set it to simulation mode. Go to the options menu and 3 down you should see wheel settings. I hope this helps, the dfgt is a pretty good wheel and I cannot see myself ever not using a wheel.
 
Honestly I have wanted one for the longest time and my wife came home with one last week. Used it for about 2 hours put it back in the box and took it back to gamestop. forcefeed back for me sucks. Even going in a straight line on SSR7 at 130 MPH the FF kicks in even turned all the way down.

You serious! Sounds like you need to put some meat on those xray arms of yours and man up!
 
Doing alot better now. Set wheel to sim, power steering off, FF at 6. Started practicing amateur nt a Roadster cup at tsukuba in my 273 hp mazda roadster rs (nc) '07 with sport softs. Was rough at first but eventually started doing pretty good. Decided to try amateur muscle car race at monza. Had good confidence and fixed up my cues 440 six pack to 481 hp and 1282 kg with racing softs and had a blast. Stayed with monza and used plymouth superbird. Chrome silver looks great on this car btw. Had it at 501 hp, 1323 kg and racing softs. A little faster and still doing great. Last race of the night and went to bed with confidence the wheel was a great decision. This morning bought 69 camaro and put to 483 hp, 1173 kg and racing softs. Again doing great. Finally bought another 69 camaro and race modded it. Put it to 548 hp, 1085 kg and racing softs. Highest speeds yet hitting up to 177 on straights. Still working my way up but gotta say Im in love with the wheel now. It was hell the first 4-5 hours though. I think Ill be in the market for a racing seat now.
 
Last edited:
The trick is mastering dealing with oversteer with a wheel, its doable but its far too much of a pain in the arse. so you just learn to avoid oversteer at all costs and correct as early as you can, rather than giving it a flick of opposite lock with the controller.
 
Yep, dealing with oversteer I jsut can not do! With the pad my style was kind of not minding if the back end became light and started to slide, not loads to lo time but just a fun amount like as it was easy correctable with the pad. With wheel I have to drive differently. Unelss I learn how to deal with it. Is it something to do with the wheel being 900 degree turn because I slam the wheel the opposite direction but nothing?!
 
For anyone else reading this, I too recently got a DFGT and it helped me to actually go back through a bunch of the license tests. I had a bunch of silvers I wanted to get gold with and have successfully done so with a bunch. After playing since GT1 the licenses have kind of been "meh" since I know all the turns and tracks they throw at you, but going through them with a wheel (if you've never used one) made things feel like GT1 all over again. I think they've stepped me through things well rather than just jumping in an overpowered car and trying (which is the first thing I did and was terrible).
 
i got a DFGT a couple weeks ago,i dont get to play gt during week much coz the kids etc but i am now just managing to drift cars with it and its totally transformed the game.Since day one i could drive fast with the wheel but never caught the slides in time but its awesome now thats all coming to plan.Wobbling up the straights?ive read this kinda thing a few times now and ive never found this a problem atall.I run mine on simulation FFB 7 powersteering on and no aids etc ABS1.
 
The trick to catching oversteer with a wheel is to let the wheel correct for you. Basically, when it steps out, let go of the wheel for just a sec and it will move toward the direction of travel on it's own. Then, you grab it again and make small adjustments of steering and throttle.

This works on simulation games becasue suspension caster is simulated correctly. This is the same as real life. It's just like how a shopping cart's front wheels correct themselves.

But, to the OP ... it does take some time to get used to, and it is a better method of control. But, when you get a wheel it becomes more of a driving simulator and less of a "game." "Game" theories and practices begin to apply less, so "gamers" can have trouble adjusting. It took me several months to really get used to my first wheel, and I'm still not "good" after nearly 2 years. The experience is WAY more exciting though, and completely worth it.
 
It's just so much more involving and above all, FUN.
 
The trick to catching oversteer with a wheel is to let the wheel correct for you. Basically, when it steps out, let go of the wheel for just a sec and it will move toward the direction of travel on it's own. Then, you grab it again and make small adjustments of steering and throttle.

This works on simulation games becasue suspension caster is simulated correctly. This is the same as real life. It's just like how a shopping cart's front wheels correct themselves.

But, to the OP ... it does take some time to get used to, and it is a better method of control. But, when you get a wheel it becomes more of a driving simulator and less of a "game." "Game" theories and practices begin to apply less, so "gamers" can have trouble adjusting. It took me several months to really get used to my first wheel, and I'm still not "good" after nearly 2 years. The experience is WAY more exciting though, and completely worth it.

I think I'm noticing this but not catching it at just the right time and my adjustments then are also not correct. It'll come though.
 
Back