New DIY cockpit, strong and ajustable...# 3

France
Dijon, France
URBANCOCKPIT-1
This is the third one I just built:

Ajustable pedals, adjustable Miata seat, chassis made from beds and chairs steel frames!
Very strong and heavy, with homemade gear shift... ... and soon a fonctionnal clutch!

Before painting:

cockpitgt4a3xc.jpg

Close look - gear shift:

dscn03139vl.jpg
dscn03177mj.jpg

dscn03151bv.jpg

After painting:

dscn03146lj.jpg
dscn03084vg.jpg

I'd love to see plans, I like this stuff!

With an H-shifter, how do you get all 7 gears?

How do you get a clutch working for, say, GT4?
Will it work with ToCA2/3?

Cheers,

MasterGT

MasterGT
I'd love to see plans, I like this stuff!

With an H-shifter, how do you get all 7 gears?

How do you get a clutch working for, say, GT4?
Will it work with ToCA2/3?

Cheers,

MasterGT

This is just an "up and down" gearshift. The two other switches are for the reverse and the handbrake.

For the clutch, I'm still in the experimental process. I'll make a thread as soon as I have some interesting result. And this will be adapted to the GT4 game. For Toca 2/3, I wont be able to give you an answer, sadly this game is not available in Canada (I've never seen it in the game stores!).

And I'll soon post pics with all the measurements of the cockpit. But dont forget, this is for a Miata seat, that is very small and light. You will have to make a different adaptor if you put a bigger seat (like VW or Honda seats).

And thank you all very much for the 👍 👍 👍 ! :)

humm... Toca 2 IS available in Canada and has been since it's release in Sept. 2005. Toca 3 is coming out here as well on Feb. 21. Not that I want to deviate from this thread but IMO, Toca 2 is currently the best all around simulation racer on the PS2.

I do have a cockpit of my own and was able to get a clutch working with Toca. The process was fairly simple: I had a spare DFP pedal base. I cut it in half and used the brake portion as a clutch with, tied to the other pedal base. I then wired the new clutch to the wheel's L2 button. The only downside to this is that the clutch is digital (on/off) instead of analog but that's the only way to do it with the DFP (all axis are already taken by the steering, throttle and brake) and there are no pressure sensitive buttons. It still works great and if used properly, will cut down your laptime with many cars.

Nice setup by the way Nurbur!

If you need detailed instructions let me know! The only change I did since this picture was taken was to add a plexyglass plate on top of the throttle to make it wider, thereby making it easier to heal-toe (blip).

PICT3043.jpg

Nice setup! I've looked at your prior shifter set ups and was wondering if you could give a bit more detail on how you wired the switches up to the controller.

Cod_Father
Nice setup! I've looked at your prior shifter set ups and was wondering if you could give a bit more detail on how you wired the switches up to the controller.

ya basically just "extend" the switches out from the main controllers PCB out to external switchs that the shifter lever depresses making the same connections as the original controller buttons would. they you use the ingame 'controller' options screen to map the "buttons" to function the way you'd like (shift up and down).

Would it be easier just to seperate the shifter from the DFP? If not you would share your like schmatics would you? Me and my buddy *engerneering degree* have though bout a setup simular to what you have save for the ebrake on its on handle like in real life.

Nice use of the resiliant rubber mount. Gave me a good idea for the 7 pos' H shifter. I was looking at using springs and a collapsing couple. With that rubber mount i just need a a way to lock the stick in gear. Im now thinking a sprung BB on each location (like the break barrell of an air rifle).
Still working on the microprocessor with a man from brazil...We might just have something!

An after thought just a magnet on each location....Cool thanks for the resiliant mount. Gotta be honest i was looking too deep!

fideles1986

That's the one I played with, 1 and half year ago! And that was GREAT!!!

It was installed on the Subaru Stand, at the Montreal autoshow. There was a choice of two tracks only: Suzuka and Tsukuba, and only Subaru cars...

I've played in the subaru cockpit at the Playstation experience a few years ago when it was in earl's court. Man that think shook on the rally course.

I just picked up a discarded bed frame, so I will start working on a similar design now. This is no ordinary frame, either, it's a Simmons! :sly:

Thanks for the frame tip, nurburgring!

MasterGT

too bad from I was told you use 3 screens you need 3 ps2 plus 2 games.. and cant run GT mode, correct?
Click on my GT4 LAN link, in my sig. It will help explain what is necessary to set up a multi-monitor system.

To use Multi-LAN, you go to Arcade Mode, not GT Mode. You can then set up races as you need, including against the AI or humans, but not to do GT Mode content races.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Back