New Doctor? *possible spoilers*

England
England
porthillking
So with the possibility of John Hurt being the 12th Doctor, i'm wondering what you guys think.
I personally don't see why the producers would go for a vastly older actor, unless it's a sort of throwback to the original older Doctors.

Last edited:
They didn't actually say that he would be the 12th Doctor. It was sort of implied but as far as I'm aware, they didn't confirm it. Also, that ending left many questions to be asked.

They didn't actually say that he would be the 12th Doctor. It was sort of implied but as far as I'm aware, they didn't confirm it. Also, that ending left many questions to be asked.

I know what you mean about the ending, guess it can ensure viewers will be there in November.

They would lose a TON of viewers if they trotted out some senior citizen to be The Doctor. They'd have to have some old fart for a companion as well. There are a lot of young people who watch Doctor Who because of 10 & 11. No way they'd go old again. Unless they want to purposely lose the show for more than a decade again.

From what I gather the John Hurt Doctor is a 'lost' incarnation who should not exist.

Oh, and Smith will have left before the end of the year so we need a new Doc.

I want it to be either Colin Morgan or Benedict Cumberbatch.

Or, Benedict Cumberbatch as the Doctor with Colin Morgan as the assistant.

Also, they should bring back Captain Jack. :3

No way in H-E-double hockey sticks is Cumberbach is going to play the 12th. Sherlock is too popular on both sides of the pond right now, and with Star Trek just recently released, there is no way he will go back to TV to play an iconic role. We might get lucky if there is more Sherlock beyond series 3.

I don't know why there's so much confusion with John Hurt. I'm positive he is not/will not be the 12th doctor. My girlfriend asked me the same thing after the last episode and I am a little surprised how many people jumped to the same assumption.

He is a past incarnation who, because of certain unmentioned notorious deeds, was not "worthy" of the title of "the Doctor". This was stated overtly in the last episode. Personally, I think it has something to do with the Time War but that's just speculation.
If he was the 12th doctor it would go against some age-old Whoniverse lore - like the suggestion that he gets younger with each regeneration.

Anywho, to answer the OP's question: I'm ready for a new incarnation. Matt Smith has had a good run although my heart still lies with David Tennant's 10th. Matt was a suitable replacement but I think it's time to move on. The last season lost some of the magic for me (Not Smith's fault of course). So I'm eager for them to switch it up and maybe rediscover what makes Who great.

Series 7.5 had a serious lack of meat. WAY too much fluff. Reminded me of the final season of Smallville. They could've done so much more but didn't.

When the Ponds were companions, there was a good constant wave. This half season crap had me saying "the next episode will be better" after each episode. Some story lines are better on paper and not in a handful of episodes followed by a 6 month wait (for possibly more fluff).

Y'know theres been a few names thrown around in the papers like David Harewood, Idris Elba, Olivia Coleman, Russell Tovey...even Dame Helen Mirren!

I am so happy. I ready have hated smith a the doctor. Hopefully w can get another good one, but if the writing stays the same it'll ruin out for me.

Matt Smith was the only actor to be nominated for a BAFTA for playing Doctor Who, i think he has been fantastic and he'll be a tough act to follow..

My brother watches Doctor Who, and he will most likely agree that Smith will be a tough act to follow. That being said, the just throwing out names and seeing which one will stick approach in finding his successor is just sheer lunacy.

The new Doctor Who will be unveiled on a special programme on BBC1 on Sunday at 7pm!

Yepyepyepyepyepyep :dopey:

Its been on Radio 1's news broadcasts all day 👍

Have they actually done that before?, I think they've always announced the new one before his first episode...

Matt Smith's announcement came 15 months before we saw his series debut. So they are cutting it much closer this time.

I'm just hoping the new Doctor turns out to be a departure from the 11th.

Last edited:
They are indeed, the regeneration will be on the Christmas episode...

Idris Elba for me, a terrific actor who'll be a great Doctor Who...

No to that either. He is needed for the James Bond franchise.

That kinda depends on how much his commitments to the franchise would cut into any potential TV roles. I mean, if he ends up having a couple of minutes of screen time in Bond 24, I wouldn't see it being much of a problem if filming for the next 2, maybe 3 Doctor Who series' doesn't clash too much with it.

One problem I have with Whishaw is he appears to share too many similarities with Smith for my liking. Peter Capaldi is the favourite for the role as of now, and while I would be somewhat taken aback if he was chosen, he would make an interesting change from Smith.

Idris Elba for me, a terrific actor who'll be a great Doctor Who...

Perhaps. I can imagine him making an appearance as an antagonist more than actually playing the part of The Doctor.

Again, it's an intriguing choice I wouldn't say "no" to really.

Idris Elba would suit the role if he wasn't the title character of "Luther", it might be a bit confusing if he's in the protagonist of 2 BBC series.

Luther would have to stop I think as I don't think anyone else can play him, Idris Elba IS Luther...

Yeah, and I'd guess that would rule out Benedict Cumberbatch (aka Sherlock) too.

Back