New Ford Focus

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amanaman
  • 44 comments
  • 3,983 views
The rear spoiler wasn't the only change to the audi TT. They also adjusted the suspension, which killed the sharpish handling.

I remember multiple magazines trying to duplicate the "deadly" handling of the TT (namely CAR, who also broke the story about how they flipped an a class), and actually discovered that it took a combination of big speed and stupid driving.

I'm just so glad that the 205 gti never got recalled to "fix" it's handling. A TT driver would have a much worse time in one of those. :p
 
The US Focus is just a warmed-over version of the old chassis. The ST150 is just 150hp, and soft compared to the SVT. The euroFocus is all new using the Mazda3 chassis. Looks more upscale.

The old ST170 is the SVT here... same engine, tranny, suspension. Different facias.

There was talk the US GT4 would use the SVT but I've not seen confirmation yet. Still, I'll poke the ST170 and compare it to my '04 SVT.

Ford made up with the racalls be adding a 100k mile powertrain warranty for free. These cars are pretty fun to drive. If you have a chance to drive an SVT, do it. It's no rentalFocus.

RealWorld- there were rumours the US Focus would get a 2.3 turbo and AWD. I doubt it would ever happen but at least Ford would have it's STI/EVO/R32 fighter.
 
JayP
The US Focus is just a warmed-over version of the old chassis. The ST150 is just 150hp, and soft compared to the SVT. The euroFocus is all new using the Mazda3 chassis. Looks more upscale.

The old ST170 is the SVT here... same engine, tranny, suspension. Different facias.

There was talk the US GT4 would use the SVT but I've not seen confirmation yet. Still, I'll poke the ST170 and compare it to my '04 SVT.

Ford made up with the racalls be adding a 100k mile powertrain warranty for free. These cars are pretty fun to drive. If you have a chance to drive an SVT, do it. It's no rentalFocus.

RealWorld- there were rumours the US Focus would get a 2.3 turbo and AWD. I doubt it would ever happen but at least Ford would have it's STI/EVO/R32 fighter.

Bizzare but true Focus fact.

The WRC Focus is based on the US Focus and not the European model.

The European model was to short to homolgate for WRC compotition, so rather than follow the Peugeot route and stick bigger bumpers on (Pug 206 GT - looks bloody silly) they just homologated it from the slightly bigger US spec Focus.
 
JayP, I'm also a proud owner of an SVT Focus.

Just to clarify one point though...
Focus ST = 150hp sedan < SVTF
ST150 = Fiesta w/ 150hp = one SEXAY hatch
 
JayP
The US Focus is just a warmed-over version of the old chassis. The ST150 is just 150hp, and soft compared to the SVT. The euroFocus is all new using the Mazda3 chassis. Looks more upscale.

The old ST170 is the SVT here... same engine, tranny, suspension. Different facias.

There was talk the US GT4 would use the SVT but I've not seen confirmation yet. Still, I'll poke the ST170 and compare it to my '04 SVT.

Ford made up with the racalls be adding a 100k mile powertrain warranty for free. These cars are pretty fun to drive. If you have a chance to drive an SVT, do it. It's no rentalFocus.

RealWorld- there were rumours the US Focus would get a 2.3 turbo and AWD. I doubt it would ever happen but at least Ford would have it's STI/EVO/R32 fighter.

I thought the new euroFoci used the Volvo S40 chassis? The Mazda 3 (and 6, and other Fords/Mazdas) and the US Foci share the engine, that I know.

Mazda is releasing the Mazdaspeed 6, which is a turbocharged 2.3 AWD, so maybe (a really BIG maybe) we'll get a foci based on that setup(in a year or two).
 
JrunkenC
JayP, I'm also a proud owner of an SVT Focus.

Just to clarify one point though...
Focus ST = 150hp sedan < SVTF
ST150 = Fiesta w/ 150hp = one SEXAY hatch

Thanks for the correction... that sedan just ain't got it. Too bad.

btw- I spotted a yellow SVT today- euro wheels and all. Made my silver 5 door look like an... ST?

edit... The S40/Mazda3/Euro Focus all use the same "basic chassis". The Mazda6 and Ford Fusion share the same chassis. The 2.3 engine is Mazda's version of Ford's powerplant. They did a better job... 150 Ford hp vs 160 Mazda hp.

I -think- that's right. Someone will post a link if I'm wrong.
 
JayP
Thanks for the correction... that sedan just ain't got it. Too bad.

btw- I spotted a yellow SVT today- euro wheels and all. Made my silver 5 door look like an... ST?

You ever seen a Competition Orange SVT? Best looking US Focus out there.

EDIT: BTW (I already tried posting this in the Photomode thread), are there any 1024 pics of the ST170 in GT4? If possible, then in Comp Orange (though I dunno if they have it in UK).
 
Supra897
You ever seen a Competition Orange SVT? Best looking US Focus out there.

Yep. First time today for the yellow. I hope the SVT makes the US version cut... orance/yellow and all.
 
JrunkenC
JayP, I'm also a proud owner of an SVT Focus.

Just to clarify one point though...
Focus ST = 150hp sedan < SVTF
ST150 = Fiesta w/ 150hp = one SEXAY hatch

Focus ST in Auz and UK has 170bhp

Fiesta ST150 will be best handling car in its class, but i reckon the engine will be a no goer, if its based on the 2.0 Zetec from other Fords, like the Focus. The ST170 engine was not all that IMO, and should be a lot quicker in a straight line that it is. Ford really need a turbocharged Fiesta, to be able to keep up with the trend of current hot hatches like the Renault Clio 182, Peugeot 206 GTi180, soon to be announced Vauxhall Corsa VXR etc etc
 
Off-topic, but Scaff- I want your job.
Back to topic- Anyone confirm the SVT Focus' appearance, or will we just have to wait?
 
Yugo DSC Maxxer
Off-topic, but Scaff- I want your job.
Back to topic- Anyone confirm the SVT Focus' appearance, or will we just have to wait?


https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52577

FORD (U.S.)
Escort Rally Car ('98)
F-150 SVT Lightning ('03)
Focus Rally Car ('99)
Focus ST170 ('03)
Focus RS ('02)
GT Concept ('02)
GT ('05)
GT LM Edition ('02)
GT LM Edition Spec-II ('04)
GT40 Race Car ('69)
Ka ('01)
Model T Tourer ('15)
Mustang GT ('05)
Mustang SVT Cobra-R ('00)
RS200 ('84)
RS200 Rally Car ('85)
Taurus SHO ('98)
 
I see, but someone earlier in the thread said that GT4 for the US might have the SVT Focus instead of the ST170.
I've gawked in awe over the car list many times....Lol.
 
I drove a very low-end Focus 3-door today.

I was well impressed, except for the fact that it has no tach, and a CD player but no AC :grumpy:

I wouldn't turn one down for GT4.
 
JayP
The 2.3 engine is Mazda's version of Ford's powerplant. They did a better job... 150 Ford hp vs 160 Mazda hp.

I -think- that's right. Someone will post a link if I'm wrong.

Actually, it's the same Mazda engine (I know, I got a Foci with one). But only the core components are the same. Mazda uses some higher quality parts (like an intake, etc), which in the end results in a 9 hp increase over the Foci.

PulsatingFISH
I drove a very low-end Focus 3-door today.

I was well impressed, except for the fact that it has no tach, and a CD player but no AC :grumpy:

I wouldn't turn one down for GT4.

The new '05 model? The low end isn't that bad, since the lowest engine you can get is a 2.0 Duratec @ 130bhp. Before this year, the lowest was the 2.0 SPI @ 115bhp (which is bad compared to the other Foci's, but ok against the lower-end Hyundais, Hondas, etc).
 
Back