new gaming rig config - suggestions/ recommendations?

what do you guys think of the below config, new 2016/ 2017 config (no OC/ no water cooling!):
+++ planning and would like to be able to run TRIPLE screens 1440p @144hz with this config +++

• Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS II
- any fans to be replaced with NOCTUA fans
• Mobo: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V EXTREME/USB3.1
- 1x ASUS OC Panel in metal case in 5.25-inch bay (to read temperatures CPU & GPU and to see FAN speeds)
- 1x ASUS 3x temperature wires & sensors, used to read RAM, CPU & GPU temps, with Amber Polyimide Adhesive/Kapton Film Tape (Heat resistant)
• CPU: INTEL Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition
• FAN: Noctua NH-D15S
• RAM: Dominator Platinum Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C14 Memory Kit (CMD128GX4M8B2800C14)
• PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 Power Supply
- 1x EVGA G2/P2/T2 Red Power Supply Cable Set (Individually Sleeved) P/N: 100-CR-1300-B91
- x EVGA G2/P2/T2 Red Additional Power Supply Cable Set (Individually Sleeved) P/N: 100-CR-1600-B9
• GPU: 2x NVIDIA 2-Way SLI - GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GD5 12GB
- 1x NVIDIA 2-Way SLI Bridge: Short, Medium or Long (whichever works best and gives enough room and expansion space for later)
• SSD: 2x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 1TB MZ-7KE1T0BW
- Raid “1“ Configuration
• SSHD: 1x SEAGATE STCL4000400 4TB MLC/8GB SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ
• ODD: 1x ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
• 1x NIPPON LABS USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader 3.5" All In One ICR-BB
- 1x NIPPON LABS HDB-5250 Dual 3.5-Inch HDD/SS Plastic Bracket to fit into 5.25” drive bay
• 1x NZXT iu01 Internal USB Expansion
- 1x STARTECH 2 Port USB 3.0 A Female Slot Plate Adapter (USB3SPLATE/ STA-USB3SPLATE)
• 1x NZXT Sentry 3 Fan Controller AC-SEN-3-B1 (for all extra fans)
• 1x ARCTIC MX4 4g Thermal Paste (for CPU/ FAN)
• PROD: MS Office 2016 Home & Business
• ANTVIR: ESET NOD32 Antivirus or WEBROOT SecureAnywhere AntiVirus

*** ACOUSTIPACK/ SOUNDPROOFING/ SOUND DAMPENING required/ necessary?
***Below list of Fan’s to replace all case fans and adding fans for optimal airflow:
** Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 120mm Fan (quantity unknown)
** Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140mm Fan (quantity unknown)
** Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 140mm Fan (quantity unknown)

what do you guys think of this custom built, should I pull the trigger on this config?

Honestly it looks good but I wouldnt buy anything this pricy now. Nvidia new cards gtx1070 and 1080 should arrive soon (presented around 25 may I think so I'm guessing mid-june for availability).

I would wait on that before spending my money on 2 titan x that can be outdated soon seeing the numbers floating around the net.

Cosmos II a great case, my last machine had one and I really liked it.

Is this just primarily for gaming and media or other professional applications that are CPU/RAM extensive?

The GPU situation is dramatically going to improve soon so certainly is a time to wait. Polaris 10 for example as the mid price level GPU from AMD is going to be a rival for 980Ti according to reports and consume very little power. Other reports expecting top cards from Nvidia could see a 50% improvement.

Perhaps some of your specs if for gaming only are rather crazy overkill.
I would try to make savings where possible and put that towards also having VR or really good quality audio speakers/headphones or sim hardware.

The Ram (search youtube on comparison videos for upto 128gb of ram compared to 8gb/16gb)
The PSU (newer GPU much more power efficient as is Skylake)
Why Not Newer M2 Storage?
Or why 850 Pro and not 950 Pro?
Will the i7-5960X Extreme Edition be much better in the games you play than a Skylake i7

Perhaps people with more knowledge than myself can add better explanations but you can find lots of comparison videos on Youtube comparing different hardware configs.

Last edited:
Cosmos 2 is Overkill unless your doing a BIG ass Water cooled unit and or need the room for either a million accessory drives or a wack load of rads.

And i Would also Very much wait another month or 2 to be doing a Fresh build....Its not worth the investment at the current time.

Triple @ 144....lol oh how the new guys just dont understand....

which option would you guys go for of the below RAM modules:
RAM options:
1) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Extreme Performance F4-3000C14Q2-128GVRD - $750 USD
a. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232270

2) CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMD128GX4M8A2666C15 - $900 USD
a. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=CMD128GX4M8A2666C15-_-20-233-812-_-Product

Cosmos 2 is Overkill unless your doing a BIG ass Water cooled unit and or need the room for either a million accessory drives or a wack load of rads.

And i Would also Very much wait another month or 2 to be doing a Fresh build....Its not worth the investment at the current time.

Triple @ 144....lol oh how the new guys just dont understand....
@Nick, thanks for the explanation, would be great if you could explain the TRIPLE @144, not a good idea or waste of money?

I'm a member on too many PC related boards to believe that this build is every going to happen, everything about it simply screams "Look at me, I've just put all the most expensive parts into my PCPartPicker build and please tell me how awesome I am!", but I digress.

1) How soon do you want to build this system? If you can wait until the (late) summer, Intel should have announced the new Broadwell-E CPUs. You'll probably pay around the same for the CPU and get the latest in power efficiency and generally more cores, with the new 6950x (or whatever it'll be called) being rumored to be a 10 core CPU.

2) What do you want to use this system for? Gaming? Generally production? 3D modeling? Regardless of what you have planned to with this system, go for 64GB and save the money. Games and even editing software won't generally be needing more than 32GB at the moment. So going for 64GB would still give you more than enough headroom for the future and giving you more than enough for current tasks at hand.

3) Don't buy Titan's. Like ever. Buy two new GTX 1080's. And if you want to save money, buy two 980ti's.

4) 1600W PSU? For that system? Why? You could run this system with a 750W PSU. So going for a Corsair AX860i or something similar (EVGA SuperNOVA 850W) will run this system and having a decent amount of overclocking headroom will be more than enough, and a lot cheaper. Both power supplies also have a red-cable kit.

5) Why do you want to use two seperate SSD's? Get yourself a single 850 (Pro or Evo) 2TB and maybe go for a 256GB 950 Pro NVMe drive. Considering and assuming you're really planning to build this, why not go for the best of the best?

These are just some of the things to improve upon this. The rest would be generally just looks department and is highly subjective, so I won't bother to give you alternatives on that.

went with a $1500-1800 USD built, came out to be **** :) but at least tested and tried. gut instict is better and going with what you feel is best. not the most expensive is always better, but also the "usual" also does not work out best. so time to sell the piece of junk and buy something better :)

thank you all for your help, especially the guys who PM'ed me in taking your time to explain, write in detail and give an understanding of whats out there!

what do you guys think of the below config, new 2016/ 2017 config (no OC/ no water cooling!):
+++ planning and would like to be able to run TRIPLE screens 1440p @144hz with this config +++

• Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS II
- any fans to be replaced with NOCTUA fans
• Mobo: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V EXTREME/USB3.1
- 1x ASUS OC Panel in metal case in 5.25-inch bay (to read temperatures CPU & GPU and to see FAN speeds)
- 1x ASUS 3x temperature wires & sensors, used to read RAM, CPU & GPU temps, with Amber Polyimide Adhesive/Kapton Film Tape (Heat resistant)
• CPU: INTEL Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition
• FAN: Noctua NH-D15S
• RAM: Dominator Platinum Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C14 Memory Kit (CMD128GX4M8B2800C14)
• PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 Power Supply
- 1x EVGA G2/P2/T2 Red Power Supply Cable Set (Individually Sleeved) P/N: 100-CR-1300-B91
- x EVGA G2/P2/T2 Red Additional Power Supply Cable Set (Individually Sleeved) P/N: 100-CR-1600-B9
• GPU: 2x NVIDIA 2-Way SLI - GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GD5 12GB
- 1x NVIDIA 2-Way SLI Bridge: Short, Medium or Long (whichever works best and gives enough room and expansion space for later)
• SSD: 2x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 1TB MZ-7KE1T0BW
- Raid “1“ Configuration
• SSHD: 1x SEAGATE STCL4000400 4TB MLC/8GB SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ
• ODD: 1x ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
• 1x NIPPON LABS USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader 3.5" All In One ICR-BB
- 1x NIPPON LABS HDB-5250 Dual 3.5-Inch HDD/SS Plastic Bracket to fit into 5.25” drive bay
• 1x NZXT iu01 Internal USB Expansion
- 1x STARTECH 2 Port USB 3.0 A Female Slot Plate Adapter (USB3SPLATE/ STA-USB3SPLATE)
• 1x NZXT Sentry 3 Fan Controller AC-SEN-3-B1 (for all extra fans)
• 1x ARCTIC MX4 4g Thermal Paste (for CPU/ FAN)
• PROD: MS Office 2016 Home & Business
• ANTVIR: ESET NOD32 Antivirus or WEBROOT SecureAnywhere AntiVirus

*** ACOUSTIPACK/ SOUNDPROOFING/ SOUND DAMPENING required/ necessary?
***Below list of Fan’s to replace all case fans and adding fans for optimal airflow:
** Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 120mm Fan (quantity unknown)
** Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140mm Fan (quantity unknown)
** Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 140mm Fan (quantity unknown)

what do you guys think of this custom built, should I pull the trigger on this config?

That i7 is a complete waste for gaming, its going to get very very similar performance to a i5 6600K overclocked or a i7 6700 or even a i5 6500 in a good amount of games so you are wasting about $700 or more there. 128GB of ram is a huge huge waste, 8GB of ram is enough for all games currently. The Titan X's are of horrible value, they are on par with GTX 980 Ti's for a lot less and Pascal is coming out soon. You don't need that big of a psu and the 1500 watt AXi actually is slightly better than the T2, provided you make the other changes a 750 or 850 watt psu would be enough. Also that motherboard is a huge, huge waste of money if you aren't overclocking. The NT-1 thermal paste that comes with the cooler is better than that MX4. I'm doubting you need a optical drive and you really don't need a fan controller so you can set up a fan profile in the bios on any half way decent motherboard. Also why the 3.5 to 5.25 adapter. Do you really need to able to read memory cards? Also if you want quiet go with something like a Fractal Define R5. You can save a TON of money on this and get equal or better product.

This is your original build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2wJzy not the exact same but its close enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lt2GBm

I saved a TON of money, got a quieter case, and two much much better cards that will be better suited for your needs. I would highly recommend overclocking, if you don't want to just let me so I can make some adjustments. Also I would just set the two 5TB HDD's in raid 1, SSD's hardly ever fail outside of premature deaths. If you have any questions just ask.

Back