New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 494 comments
I mean, sounds like bad devs to me. Every achievement should list specifics of progress where applicable. If there's a race you haven't done, it should tell you. For the exact reason that IF anything bugs out, and it will for someone, at least then they know where to look to solve the problem.
Please stop making endless replies without giving it a thought.

In its current form, it naturally tells you what is missing because your save file is the trophy progress. However, if you allows the offline progress but not allows the offline progress to be registered to the actual trophy progress, you either needs to display both save file progress and server progress on the basic UI right next to each other (resulting in bloated screen), or make a switch/filter to flip between the two (resulting in confusing UI and useless to most people), or implement the feature to check the server progress on some other menu (hard to find, no one expect such feature, thus people may not find it), to let users know about their trophy progress.

What do you think what most game devs would do? They just don't show you (other than the basic progress bar which is supported on PS trophy system 182/190, which is useless to players who got a bugged out trophy). In other words, your 'solution' is not the same thing as online saving.

Please stop making endless replies without giving it a thought.
Sorry, you miss-spelled "stop disagreeing with me".
In its current form, it naturally tells you what is missing because your save file is the trophy progress. However, if you allows the offline progress but not allows the offline progress to be registered to the actual trophy progress, you either needs to display both save file progress and server progress on the basic UI right next to each other (resulting in bloated screen), or make a switch/filter to flip between the two (resulting in confusing UI and useless to most people), or implement the feature to check the server progress on some other menu (hard to find, no one expect such feature, thus people may not find it), to let users know about their trophy progress.

What do you think what most game devs would do? They just don't show you (other than the basic progress bar which is supported on PS trophy system 182/190, which is useless to players who got a bugged out trophy). In other words, your 'solution' is not the same thing as online saving.
It's not about what most game devs would do. It's about what competent game devs who have an interest in making the game the most accessible to the most players would do. I have no sympathy for devs who want to take shortcuts because they're lazy.

Just as I have no sympathy for players who are so drunk on the Kool-Aid that they're making excuses for developers to be lazy. If you're fine with accepting a worse product just because you don't want the developers to have to do more than the bare minimum, then that's your choice. I choose to expect a developer of Polyphony's experience and pedigree to provide systems for their players that are better than "what most game devs would do".

And the reality is that a competent developer can solve this problem. It's not a big deal. Your argument continues to be "developers are ****, stop expecting them to be good".

giphy.gif

Adding a roll cage adds a literal model to the car, so I'd hope weight reduction get's the same treatment..
It'd be really cool, but I don't expect it. It's one thing to model rollcages for a few cabin shapes and modify them for each car, and another thing entirely to accurately model under the rear seat. A bit easier for newer cars with CAD data available I suppose, but I can't see PD asking an R32 owner if they can pull the seats out.

It'd be really cool, but I don't expect it. It's one thing to model rollcages for a few cabin shapes and modify them for each car, and another thing entirely to accurately model under the rear seat. A bit easier for newer cars with CAD data available I suppose, but I can't see PD asking an R32 owner if they can pull the seats out.
They wouldn’t. Just use the interior from a JGTC Group A R32. Even though PD do Quality control on the models, I’d guess an outsource crew would do the bulk of interiors. We do know of one outsourced interior modeller. https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-outsource-car-model-20200913/

They wouldn’t. Just use the interior from a JGTC Group A R32. Even though PD do Quality control on the models, I’d guess an outsource crew would do the bulk of interiors. We do know of one outsourced interior modeller. https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-outsource-car-model-20200913/

she just worked on creating the lower-poly models given to her by Polyphony, who made the highest LOD models.

"According to a post on her own blog, Srinivasan was responsible for the “mid-poly models of the interior and exterior”."

she just worked on creating the lower-poly models given to her by Polyphony, who made the highest LOD models.

"According to a post on her own blog, Srinivasan was responsible for the “mid-poly models of the interior and exterior”."
Help is help. More help than they’ve had in the past. With more detailed models to make, it’s still possible. Again, with outsourcing.

They wouldn't need to scan a standard R32 without rear seats.

They wouldn't need to scan a standard R32 without rear seats.
images

Well, they'd need at least a few dozen reference photos for what's underneath here, wouldn't they? The current in-game models would likely be hollow.
Of course, they did already make the R32 TC for GT5/6, though I can't remember what its interior was like back there.

Sorry, you miss-spelled "stop disagreeing with me".
Imagine reading someone actually being realistic about the routine demands made on game developers, thinking "well, this person is clearly trying to belittle developers", then posting that image of all images at the end.

This happens far too much in gaming now. Game developers aren't getting lazy, quite the opposite; games get infinitely more complicated to make every year, with terrible diminishing returns on the actual expected output. More money, more people involved, more headaches, less game. It's a miracle that the game industry has put up with this for so many years now, because behind the scenes, it isn't actually working out.

Imagine reading someone actually being realistic about the routine demands made on game developers, thinking "well, this person is clearly trying to belittle developers", then posting that image of all images at the end.

This happens far too much in gaming now. Game developers aren't getting lazy, quite the opposite; games get infinitely more complicated to make every year, with terrible diminishing returns on the actual expected output. More money, more people involved, more headaches, less game. It's a miracle that the game industry has put up with this for so many years now, because behind the scenes, it isn't actually working out.
I think you seem to be doing just fine, Mr. Kotick.

Hah! Imagine even joking about the idea that Kotick might actually be willing to stick his neck out for developers. Do you even know who you're trying to invoke here?

Look, I can't stand forced online myself, and I very much disagree with wasenhorn with their claim that offline support isn't as valuable. Consider that large swaths of the internet, including people who normally wouldn't say much about anything, tend to get upset about online requirements. I think most people here remember what happened with Diablo III.

But you're taking this, and a lot of things, a bit too far. You seem to get angry about a lot of things, like a lot of people do nowadays. But chances are, either you're not really understanding what you're getting angry about, or you're getting overly angry about something that doesn't really matter. This is a tough situation, but what wasenhorn described is an effective solution to it. That's not "PD's just lazy", that tired old trope that's been going around since GT5, over a decade ago now.

Back