New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 494 comments
I hope Practice Mode returns from GT4. I'd love to drive around any track with 19+ AI, testing my cars.
Qualifying from GT1, GT3, (edit: and GT4)! False claim if people claim GT never implemented/know qualifying.

Feel like PD deals with AI issues by removing qualifying and make the races rolling start to make it "harder" instead of improving them :boggled:

Last edited:
The Qualifying in GT4 was good. I used the FPV GT, which wasn’t the best, because of weight and it didn’t have as much torque as the more nimble F6. Anyway, the Tuner Grand Prix gave me that uncertainty of where I’d start. At least, with the Practice Mode, driving around the Nurb in my Ginetta G4, it would feel like a track day.

Qualifying from GT1 and GT3! False claim if people claim GT never implemented/know qualifying.

Feel like PD deals with AI issues by removing qualifying and make the races rolling start to make it "harder" instead of improving them :boggled:
And GT4 has qualifying too but only for the championship series.

And GT4 has qualifying too but only for the championship series.
I know too, but I can't find the screenshot everywhere of the Quick Race menu with qualifying in GT4.

And GT1 was a game where everything is championship series...

Last edited:
If they are going to include championships again, they should do them right. The point of a championship is that you can win it without coming 1st place in every race, something that is completely pointless if in order to reach 100% completion you must win every single race, so it might as well don't exist (at least that's how it was in GT4, dunno about the other games)

If they are going to include championships again, they should do them right. The point of a championship is that you can win it without coming 1st place in every race, something that is completely pointless if in order to reach 100% completion you must win every single race, so it might as well don't exist (at least that's how it was in GT4, dunno about the other games)
What if people won't play the game until 100% completion? (I mean, only until they get to the last event). Championships better be kept on the game even if there'd be a mistake of making 100% completion means winning every race (but that should be fixed yes).

I kinda like how it was done in GT4, you needed to win the championship, which you could do with not winning a few races. That was enough to unlock a new car. Then you could redo those races separately without redoing the entire championship if you really wanted to go for 100%

Last edited:
I kinda like how it was done in GT4, you needed to win the championship, which you could do with not winning a few races. That was enough to unlock a new car. Then you could redo those races separately without redoing the entire championship if you really wanted to go for 100%
It happened since GT3, but yeah, it's an improvement from GT1/GT2's championship forcing for championship events.

Heck I would win every race just to skip the last race and still win lol

I don't get what's so difficult to understand here.

GT5/6 servers shut down = unfortunate but the majority of the game is still playable

GT7 servers shut down = get bent, nerd
On GT Sport, without internet connection you can play arcade, GT league mode, personalized races, driving school, missions, track experience.

Only thing you can't is save progress (that's why internet connection is required for) and go to brand central.

A quite simple thing that can be reverted once they close GTS server with an patch.

The closed beta at the launch got local offline saving, and in a patch they enabled the internet connection requirement to save game progress.

It's just a kind of DRM system to save FIA online races of the modding trough saving files which were popular in GT5 & GT6.

So sure that you will be able to play GT7 offline, but again not be able to save game progress without internet access.

Surely they will patch GTS once they shut down the servers enabling offline game progress saves and brand central access, and same thing for GT7 when GT8 is on the market

Yeah, classis GT game where you dont get any new features, no dashcam no FOV slider, they need to add modern racing games features in this series. I have a feeling that kaz and his team are working in some kind of bubble, where they dont look what competitors are doing and then copy best elements from them.

Last edited:
Yeah, classis GT game where you dont get any new features, no dashcam no FOV slider, they need to add modern racing games features in this series. I have a feeling that kaz and his team are working in some kind of bubble, where they dont look what competitors are doing and then copy best elements from them.
No look around cam either, games from 1999 had that.

Nope, it's single player. If people want to mod or cheat they're not hurting anyone but themselves. I see no reason why it's desirable to prevent people from modding or cheating an entirely single player portion of the game in the first place, and no reason why you would hamper the experience for anyone who might have a net outage for the sake of sticking it to a few people who want to mess around with the game that they paid money for and are playing all by themselves.
There is a bit of online aspect to it, the trophy. Historically, Gran Turismo series required both some grinding and some skills to get Platinum trophy.
  • Grind trophies
    • GT5: A Spec Level 40, 1000 car collections
    • GT6: Autobarmy (drive 7,903 miles / 12,718 km)
    • GTS: Level 50, 1 online trophy (322 online races)
  • Skill trophies
    • GT5: Special events trophies, all gold
    • GT6: Senna trophies, all gold
    • GTS: 2 online trophies (65 pole positions, 91 wins)
And that makes the platinum trophies of GT series pretty rare. Although those trophies mean nothing to many people, but there are some people actually care about these thing, and online-based trophies (like GTS) are much harder to hack without a trace, compare to offline trophies (GT5/GT6) vulnerable to save file editing.

And that makes the platinum trophies of GT series pretty rare. Although those trophies mean nothing to many people, but there are some people actually care about these thing, and online-based trophies (like GTS) are much harder to hack without a trace, compare to offline trophies (GT5/GT6) vulnerable to save file editing.
Some people care, but it doesn't mean that their accomplishment changes at all because someone else also has it.

If people want to feel superior because they have some digital bits associated with thier PSN login that not many other people have, then they can do that all they please. But I see no reason to justify damaging the single player experience for the vast majority of players for the sake of a few insecure achievement hunters. Achievements and trophies shouldn't take precedence over the ability to play the core game.

Besides, even if you're really convinced that this is a problem that needs fixing, there are solutions available that still allow the game to be played offline.

If people want to feel superior because they have some digital bits associated with thier PSN login that not many other people have, then they can do that all they please. But I see no reason to justify damaging the single player experience for the vast majority of players for the sake of a few insecure achievement hunters. Achievements and trophies shouldn't take precedence over the ability to play the core game.
In my eyes, both groups are equally small minority. The vast majority of players have constant internet connection nowadays, and also the vast majority of people don't care much about the trophies.

There is a bit of online aspect to it, the trophy. Historically, Gran Turismo series required both some grinding and some skills to get Platinum trophy.
  • Grind trophies
    • GT5: A Spec Level 40, 1000 car collections
    • GT6: Autobarmy (drive 7,903 miles / 12,718 km)
    • GTS: Level 50, 1 online trophy (322 online races)
  • Skill trophies
    • GT5: Special events trophies, all gold
    • GT6: Senna trophies, all gold
    • GTS: 2 online trophies (65 pole positions, 91 wins)
You’re right. :-)

In my eyes, both groups are equally small minority. The vast majority of players have constant internet connection nowadays, and also the vast majority of people don't care much about the trophies.
There might be a tiny minority that would use an offline mode regularly, but I think most players will at least use it a few times. I don't know what it's like where you are but here in Australia the internet will go out a handful of times a year no matter who you are. It just happens. It sucks but that's how it works when everything is upside down, sometimes the pixies just plain fall out of the series of tubes. Having a single player game that works offline should be expected.

Trophies by definition are an online mode since they're tied to your PSN. If developers like Polyphony are dumb enough to make trophies where progress can be made while offline and then complain about "cheating" then that's on them. Obviously I don't even think that people save editing to get trophies is a problem, but if someone did think that was a problem then it turns out that it's already been solved by many other developers. The solution is not to tie all save games to being online. It's to tie trophy progress to being online.

Yeah, that means that some trophies need to change how they're structured but this is what developers get paid for. And yeah, it makes the trophies harder because now you have to be online all the time to do them, but since trophies are already arbitrary requirements to be awarded some shiny pixels I don't see how it changes matters.

No matter which way you look at it, the "solution" that Polyphony has chosen is a bad one. Polyphony almost certainly know this unless none of them actually play their own game. Why they've chosen to build the game this way is anyone's guess, but it's not because it's good for any subset of players. There are better solutions available, both for people who want to play offline and for trophy hunters.

The solution is not to tie all save games to being online. It's to tie trophy progress to being online.
Funny. What you're claiming to be a solution is not the same thing and that's exactly how you make a bugged trophy which is a big hassle to anyone who care about trophy. If you do that, your save progress wouldn't match your trophy progress. For example, imagine a trophy that requires you to get a gold on every event, and say there are 190 events which takes 100 hours to finish.

Under your scheme, if a random user had 8 random offline golds and doesn't remember which for a variety of reasons (e.g. they didn't care to remember, or they just forgot, or they thought they've never played it offline but there are some golds which were never registered on the server due to short network malfunctions, etc at the moment of their acquisitions), then they would see 190/190 gold on their save file, but they wouldn't get the trophy as server only got 182/190 gold. There is no way to find out which ones are missing unless the developer also implemented an additional UI and functionality just for that (which almost no developers do and it also makes things more complicated for no good reason and increases the chance of potential bugs). As a result, only thing they could do is playing the entire 190 events from the start again in the hope of fixing the bug.

No matter what you say, offline users (either constant, or occasional) are niche. I don't even think most players use the offline mode in an occasional manner, as I was able to play GTS online both up in the air and on the ocean. However, even if they do, it's a small temporary setback which most users don't mind much, unlike the bugged out trophy that could severely demoralize anyone who try to get it (even if they're a small subset of population). Overall, it's still a matter of prioritization between two small groups of players (who cares about offline progression and who cares about trophies). You may think the former is larger than the latter, but I would say it's close to the opposite. I don't think the current method is worse than other methods. Both have cons and pros and it's not like one option is clearly worse than the other.

Last edited:
Yep, Kaz said in an interview that he doesn't look at what other games do.

Funny. What you're claiming to be a solution is not the same thing and that's exactly how you make a bugged trophy which is a big hassle to anyone who care about trophy. If you do that, your save progress wouldn't match your trophy progress. For example, imagine a trophy that requires you to get a gold on every event, and say there are 190 events which takes 100 hours to finish.

Under your scheme, if a random user had 8 random offline golds and doesn't remember which for a variety of reasons (e.g. they didn't care to remember, or they just forgot, or they thought they've never played it offline but there are some golds which were never registered on the server due to short network malfunctions, etc at the moment of their acquisitions), then they would see 190/190 gold on their save file, but they wouldn't get the trophy as server only got 182/190 gold. There is no way to find out which ones are missing unless the developer also implemented an additional UI and functionality just for that (which almost no developers do and it also makes things more complicated for no good reason and increases the chance of potential bugs). As a result, only thing they could do is playing the entire 190 events from the start again in the hope of fixing the bug.
I mean, sounds like bad devs to me. Every achievement should list specifics of progress where applicable. If there's a race you haven't done, it should tell you. For the exact reason that IF anything bugs out, and it will for someone, at least then they know where to look to solve the problem.

You're just complaining that devs suck. The solution is to expect them to do better, not to remove functionality from players so that devs can continue to be ****. If a developer can't find a way to solve something like the problem that you presented then they shouldn't be working on games at all, because that's basic stuff. Remember how I said "that means that some trophies need to change how they're structured but this is what developers get paid for"?
Overall, it's still a matter of prioritization between two small groups of players (who cares about offline progression and who cares about trophies). You may think the former is larger than the latter, but I would say it's close to the opposite. I don't think the current method is worse than other methods. Both have cons and pros and it's not like one option is clearly worse than the other.
I mean, if you consider the idea that devs should do their job and not make a game that breaks at the first sight of an actual player to be a potential con, sure. Everything I say is based on the assumption that the developers are competent and able to implement basic functionality into their game. Everything you're saying is based on the assumption that the devs are so incompetent that they cannot program an achievement system that isn't abusable without literally never letting the player play the game without constant monitoring.

I often get accused of being pessimistic about Gran Turismo, but at least I give Polyphony a little bit of credit in that I believe that they can do basic achievements without being always online if they want to.

but here in Australia the internet will go out a handful of times a year no matter who you are.
A63epQd.png

I don't know what you're talking about, the NBN is a wonderful system and we're so fortunate that the government took such care to make sure that Australians have a reliable and functional high speed internet network.

Now excuse me while I sacrifice a platypus it order to make sure that I maintain connectivity long enough for this post to go through.

Back