New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 494 comments
To each their own. You don't know where you'll be in 5-6 years, you might not even want to play games anymore. It's not like they'll remove the option to save your game after that, they'll surely just remove the need for a connection, right? Has this happened before on previous titles? It wipes your save data when the servers go offline? Weird, never heard of that.
You can't say to each their own and then tell them "you don't know where blah blah blah." That's contradictory. The thing is, you're making assumptions about what they might do, and you have no idea there. What everyone else is doing is talking about what is actually happening.

It didn't happen on previous titles because previous titles weren't tied to being only online. That started with GTS, and so far, we don't know what will happen or what they'll do with the game. We do know that its an always online game so if they ditch it with out changing anything, it's a coaster.

VR, will it happen?

100% YES!

Check this video below, 0:12 - 0:15 moves in a way only VR would

GT7 Porsche Video

March 2022 - GT7 releases, GTA5 releases, both have been heavily linked to full VR support

March 2022 - PSVR2??? We will see

its very hard to imagine what a dead GT Sport or even dead GT7 looks like say in 2026 etc when GT8 or whatever is about.

we know how GT Sport works... its a pervasive 'tied to the PD mothership' experience

what we dont know is how GTS or GT7 will work when PD is done with it... I dont think they even know and I dont think they even planned it as yet!

why would they? they're on the ascent, not the slow dreaded descent

Sorry if it has already been answered, but I haven't read anything about it anywhere.

Will it be possible to sell cars from daily workout if this feature returns?

Repaint cars with all OEM colors?

It's a problem for everyone. The games being tied to online saving means, just like GTS, that as soon as they cut their ties with it when the next iteration comes out, the game is essentially a coaster. It means it's tied to server issues, and if anything ever happens like the major hack that PS suffered before, you're out of playing that game for a while. Having internet doesn't change that. It's less of it being an annoyance and more of it being an actual legitimate issue. Everybody hating it is unfounded, but a lot of people are actually hating it. Talk about unsurpassed levels of logic.

As for the console parity, I think you're not reading things correctly. You might want to go back and re-read it.

You go on about pitch-fork wielders when you're just as much running in the same vein, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Yes of course the biggest fans are the people that might have the biggest opinions on the game, because we've seen it all from the inception, so it makes sense that they'd have the most to talk about. That much should be common sense.
I'm guessing if they discontinue the online part, that they could at least update the game so that you can also save the single player content on the console itself.

I'm guessing if they discontinue the online part, that they could at least update the game so that you can also save the single player content on the console itself.
We're both guessing, really. We wont know until it happens. However, if they change nothing we know the outcome there.

“But I want them to kind of remember the feeling they had when they first started playing these games, when they first discovered all of these things for themselves, and imagine how this will get across to the new generation.”

Amen. Here's hoping my kids can get into this a little bit, give me a break from Minecraft.. and Roblox 🤮

You can't say to each their own and then tell them "you don't know where blah blah blah." That's contradictory. The thing is, you're making assumptions about what they might do, and you have no idea there. What everyone else is doing is talking about what is actually happening.

It didn't happen on previous titles because previous titles weren't tied to being only online. That started with GTS, and so far, we don't know what will happen or what they'll do with the game. We do know that its an always online game so if they ditch it with out changing anything, it's a coaster.
It's just a phrase, sorry if it seemed out of place. I was just speaking facts, he DOESN'T know where he'll be in 5-6 years, so he shouldn't be worrying about a possible video game event that he doesn't even know will happen. If I made an assumption about the online saving, it was merely based on common logic. His assumption was a worst case scenario bordering on paranoia, and I highly doubt they'll handle it the way his mind believes. If PD wipes user data and removes the function to save at the end of the game's life, I will literally buy the guy a voucher for GameStop.

It's just a phrase, sorry if it seemed out of place. I was just speaking facts, he DOESN'T know where he'll be in 5-6 years, so he shouldn't be worrying about a possible video game event that he doesn't even know will happen. If I made an assumption about the online saving, it was merely based on common logic. His assumption was a worst case scenario bordering on paranoia, and I highly doubt they'll handle it the way his mind believes. If PD wipes user data and removes the function to save at the end of the game's life, I will literally buy the guy a voucher for GameStop.
You weren't really speaking facts though, you're speaking of assumptions. YOU don't know what he'll be doing in the future, and that doesn't change anything about what's said about being an always online game and the issues that follow it. You're assumptions weren't based on common logic either, because you yourself said that it didn't happen in previous iterations, but that's because previous iterations weren't online-only when the servers were shut down(or ever for that matter.) His "assumptions" weren't assumptions, this is exactly what will happen if nothing is changed.

Last edited:
Kind of sad that what Kaz is most excited about in the PS5 version is the loading times… I can understand why this game has to be cross gen, but still sucks we won’t see proper “next gen” GT for a few more years.

Also interesting that he is more impressed with the new controller sticks than the much hyped adaptive triggers.

Still can’t wait to play the game, it’s going to be epic.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly reassuring about the things he said.

Also, why don’t we get to read the actual questions? Interviews are more readable and exciting when presented as a dialogue.

Good interview but between this and the other articles today none of them have covered the most important factors to me, career structure and AI. Hopefully it's because they have some big whooping and hollering to do about it further down the line, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Hey, also for you guys that needed something regarding the AI, this MeriStation (Spanish) interview talks something about it:

A recurring aspect that spans over the entire Gran Turismo franchise, is the Artificial Intelligence (AI). We've approached this opportunity to ask Yamauchi what we might expect with this regard, (AI) and if there'll be substantial upgrades.

Regarding to the development of AI, it's something that you cannot always feel satisfied with; but compared with GT Sport, the AI is faster, and will drive in a more human way to how it did in the past.
Sorry if it's a rough translation, I did it with my own methods lol

Last edited:
Hey, also for you guys that needed something regarding the AI, I took it from this MeriStation (Spanish) interview:

A recurring aspect that spans over the entire Gran Turismo franchise, is the Artificial Intelligence (AI). We've approached this opportunity to ask Yamauchi what we might expect with this regard, (AI) and if there'll be substantial upgrades.

Regarding to the development of AI, it's something that you cannot always feel satisfied with; but compared with GT Sport, the AI is faster, and will drive in a more human way to how it did in the past.
Sorry if it's kind of a rough translation, I did it with my own methods lol
That's at least a small glimmer of hope for now, at least. Hopefully something more in depth later.

Hey, also for you guys that needed something regarding the AI, I took it from this MeriStation (Spanish) interview:

Well, it's something, thanks, but they're pretty vague words. Hopefully some clearer details on specific improvements come later. The format is really just as important, we needed someone to ask about chase the rabbit.

Last edited:
Why not just have a separate campaign made for offline and another online? Both can have separate saves like GTA V and Online does. Other than that, I find it interesting that both versions will be more or less the same game. I hope the PS4's frame rate is at least consistent and well-optimized.

Last edited:
No mention of improvements to AI? Hands down the weakest part of the the GT series from the first game to Sport. Not that I don't love the series, but the AI is terrible. I've never felt like I was actually "racing" the AI, but rather that they simply exist on the track to get in my way.

A lot of trouble could've been avoided if it was a PS5 exclusive. (As it should've been IMO)

Yes, the PS5 is hard to get atm. The demand for one is just ridiculous. More PS5's sold than PS4's in the same timeline. Everyone who wants and can afford a PS5 will be able to get one sooner or later, they're not limited nor rare.

Limiting the experience for PS5 users for an 8 year old console is downright a joke of a decision. I don't care how many units the PS4 has sold, the PS5 will pass that in the future and then we're stuck with a cross-gen game that comes out every 5ish years if we're lucky.

Oh well, we'll see what exactly Polyphony and Sony are thinking when the game comes out.

No mention of improvements to AI? Hands down the weakest part of the the GT series from the first game to Sport. Not that I don't love the series, but the AI is terrible. I've never felt like I was actually "racing" the AI, but rather that they simply exist on the track to get in my way.
Hey, also for you guys that needed something regarding the AI, this MeriStation (Spanish) interview talks something about it:

There was a mention in an article here.

Great interview, I really liked what he's trying to do with GT Café, I know a lot of hardcore fans won't care like he noted but I love all the little GT touches in that sense and trying to add more emotional attachments to the cars and their history.
I know this is the time, as usual, for GT Planet to fall into lamentations. But I expect GT7 to still be a heck of a racing experience, and I'm counting on alba's quote to be true for many of us.

Classic Gran Turismo games always had you starting with a limited budget of around 10,000 Cr to buy a car, which for most of us meant a used car from the marketplace. That bad boy would take us through many of our earliest races, which we would upgrade as we racked up wins, or at least prize money, to ever more challenging competitions. Some of us would stick to that car as far as we could go, until finally it couldn't compete, or the requirements excluded it.

Even with a garage of 2000-ish cars in GT5, I had the sense that they were my cars, particularly my favorite rides. With GT Sport it was more so, thanks to the Livery Editor, which enabled me to personalize my racers. I'm expecting this sense to be prominent in GT7.

What I hope to have is the same sense of awe I had with GT4 when I finally got it, and that was a rather amusing ordeal involving rushing home with an empty plastic case - sealed, no less. For some reason, that game struck a chord in my soul which hasn't been equaled in subsequent Gran Turismos yet, though Sport was close. There was so much to gawk at on that map when the game opened up, all those unvisited locations with their own racing types and challenges. I played it exclusively for months, digging into every aspect of the game. I went on to play it for more than a year, and still didn't complete it all. The 24 hour enduro untouched, and many of the Missions, but I conquered most of it.

With that overview map, with its own time of day changes, and many of the elements from GT4 returning - hooray used cars and racing modification - I'm expecting a similar pinnacle experience with GT7. Assetto Corsa, Race Room and my other sims give me a little more realistic feel, and the bots might be better, cough, but Gran Turismo has always had a spirit, a flavor, that's visceral and satisfying that no other game can touch. For me. Your touch may vary. ;)

I cant wait for Digital Foundry to compare PS4/PS5 FPS and graphic details
Why compare the same game? Big disappointment for me.
Now, I doubt that we will receive any new dlc content after GT7 release, they will keep it for next GT8. Just wait another 6-years... :(

Last edited:
Back