New Gran Turismo 7 "Starting Line" Trailer Reveals More New & Returning Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 608 comments
Not so much real cities, but just something more interesting. Kyoto is OK, but it's pretty dull. Same for most of the new GTS tracks. I don't get how you have a blank piece of paper with no restrictions and you come up with something that looks like a sterile, real world race track. Tracks like Grand Valley are iconic not because it looks like a real track, but because it has a good layout and interesting, diverse scenery.

It's a game, PD. For fun. Go wild. Think outside the box of tunnels and bridges.
A Track in GTS is literally called Dragon Trail. Gardens looks decent enough aesthetically but there was a lot of potential to be done with that name. Like some Chinese or European Dragon aesthetics along the tracks, or the track literally shaped like a Dragon head.

Last edited:
A Track in GTS is literally called Dragon Trail. Gardens looks decent enough aesthetically but there was a lot of potential to be done with that name. Like some Chinese or European Dragon aesthetics along the tracks, or the track literally shaped like a Dragon head.
Indeed. They're fictional tracks where money is no object in design or construction, they have no land restrictions what they can dig up, they have no worries about blocking views of residents, they can do literally anything, and in the old days they did go pretty wild. Now they're preferring to go down the route of semi-realistic racing circuits which is just dull.

Most real world racing circuits are dull because they have all those restrictions. Unless you're Oil rich I guess, and look what they're proposing to build.

qiddiya-f1-formula-1-grand-prix-track-saudi-arabia-circuit-19-Jan-20-5-24-06-PM.jpg

qiddiya-f1-formula-1-grand-prix-track-saudi-arabia-circuit-19-Jan-20-5-24-14-PM.jpg

qiddiya-f1-formula-1-grand-prix-track-saudi-arabia-circuit-19-Jan-20-5-24-42-PM.jpg

Granted they're just mock-ups but still, it visually looks cool.

Just watched this one for the first time. The tire deformation at 43 seconds is crazy! I have the feeling the physics are going to be mind blowing! 😍
Pjrz4w.gif
It may just be a visual thing because getting the deformation physics to work requires an extensive amount of calculations and a physical tyre model, something that GT hasn't had before. I would be very surprised if it's part of the physics simulation when they haven't even bothered with tyre pressures...

Last edited:
It may just be a visual thing because getting the deformation physics to work requires an extensive amount of calculations and a physical tyre model, something that GT hasn't had before. I would be very surprised if it's part of the physics simulation when they haven't even bothered with tyre pressures...
The tire deformation is obviously physics based and that will translate to a physics based vehicle simulation.

The tire deformation is obviously physics based and that will translate to a physics based vehicle simulation.
You obviously haven't been here for very long...

Way way way back in 2018 during the World Tour at I think the Nurburgring, we saw some onboard footage behind the front wheel from a Subaru WRX Group 3 that showed tyre deformation. We all thought wow, maybe the tyre model has been changed but we found out that it was only for looks and did not translate through the physics engine. The amount of work required to make it work on a visual and physical level is EXTREMELY difficult to do, I mean look at iRacing - they have a physical tyre model with known flaws that Nicky Thiim and Joseph Newgarden have spoken about in the past. I don't know if it's improved since then but that's besides the point. There's a really good video by Niels Huesinkveld detailing all of this which I encourage you to watch:

Can’t remember where I posted, but at snapped shots of the Cobra Coupe with heavy tyre deformation. During that drive, the car did feel like a car with thick sidewalls. I could get the sensation of the delayed reaction, when shifting the cars weight, side to side and in corners.

Can’t remember where I posted, but at snapped shots of the Cobra Coupe with heavy tyre deformation. During that drive, the car did feel like a car with thick sidewalls. I could get the sensation of the delayed reaction, when shifting the cars weight, side to side and in corners.

In Sport? Was it up and down deformation or side to side and 3 dimensional like this?
Pjrz4w.gif

Last edited:
Still trying to locate the pic. This what I said about the tyre flex back then.
Not only is there simulated tyre flex, the dang tyre also wobbles over saw-tooth curbs! :eek:

Watching my replay. I did a One Make Shelby Daytona race and at the back hairpin, I went off. Re entered the track over the curb and the tyre is wobbling like an F1 and V8Supercar slow-mo. Freakin' cool!

Even on any car I drive in GT Sport, if you use the "look back" feature where the camera faces the front of your car, and if you just turn your wheels left and right from a standstill you can clearly see the tire flex. It will probably look almost the same in GT7.

Last edited:
It looks sort of okay but nowhere near as dynamic as the snippet from GT7. A generation or two behind even.
:lol:
If you have GT Sport, you have to watch the replays. Again, described in my earlier post, there is tyre wobble as well.

:lol:
If you have GT Sport, you have to watch the replays. Again, described in my earlier post, there is tyre wobble as well.

Yeah I've played hundreds of hours of the game and it's not anywhere near as dynamic as that. The GT7 clip the tire almost seems like it's going to pull away from the rim!

That’s in GT Sport as well. Shown in that Genesis pic. The tyre is away from the rim. The lower the sidewall, the more it’ll show the tyre away from the rim. An F1 tyre, have a higher sidewall like the Cobra. The tyre wants to pull away from the rim as well. This wobble is what the Cobra tyre does.

Cartoonish or not, it’s the same flexing. You were more concerned about the movement of the tyre. GT Sport replicated exactly what is seen in the GT7 clip. I’m sure many of us are looking forward to the improved/more realistic visuals.

Cartoonish or not, it’s the same flexing. You were more concerned about the movement of the tyre. GT Sport replicated exactly what is seen in the GT7 clip. I’m sure many of us are looking forward to the improved/more realistic visuals.

The visuals looks better because the flex is more realistic which is based on a better simulation/physics model in conjunction with a better suspension model. It's not the same.

How good tire flex looks is all on the artists putting in the animation work. The physics could even be calculated separately and the animations would still play out. It isn't a measure of how good the physics are. If we were to judge physics on tire flex visuals then GTSport physics would be better than ACC.

gtsport
gtsport-tire-flex-spjalw.gif

Last edited:
The visuals looks better because the flex is more realistic which is based on a better simulation/physics model in conjunction with a better suspension model. It's not the same.
It's unlikely that PD have updated their tyre model to the level you're suggesting. If it was a mechanic in the physics engine, a huge range of OTHER parameters would need to be altered such as heat properties, expansion properties, contraction properties and load properties. An excessive amount of deformation will overheat the tyre and scrub it across the tarmac. This kind of thing isn't possible to do in GT Sport because tyre temps and pressures aren't simulated, so there's no reason to suggest that the deformation we're seeing is actually occurring under the surface.

Last edited:
Not sure where you’re getting better suspension model. No problem from me if you’ve got a link I missed or can’t recall, please post it.
This thread are discussing what we don’t know yet.

Kaz mainly pointed out, in the latest video, the improvements in visuals. Finally getting to show the realism he’s wanted in the franchise. The controller is able to relay that realism, of braking, to the PS5 player. If he’s got another video detailing improvements to overall physics, all good.

Not sure where you’re getting better suspension model. No problem from me if you’ve got a link I missed or can’t recall, please post it.
This thread are discussing what we don’t know yet.

Kaz mainly pointed out, in the latest video, the improvements in visuals. Finally getting to show the realism he’s wanted in the franchise. The controller is able to relay that realism, of braking, to the PS5 player. If he’s got another video detailing improvements to overall physics, all good.
You can see the differences in the suspension model by watching the videos. If they are modeling it visually that same data will be applied to the physics.

Latest Posts

Back