New guy here!!

• Thread starter MX450248
  • 33 comments
United States
United States
Hey GTPlanet! I watched last year and this years GTA and I'm hooked! Just sold my Xbox and picking up a PS3 on Monday.

I raced motocross for 10 years and have raced autocross on occasion with my modded MR2 Turbo and now my modded EVO X. I've always been looking for a way to get into auto racing more and a simulator looks like it's a hell of allot cheaper than building and maintaining a racecar lol!

I'm a fabricator by trade and plan on building my own simulator chassis...pipe inside of pipe for easy and smooth adjustment...all welded connections and race seat on sliders.

Planning on going with a T500RS wheel, TH8A shifter, 40ish inch monitor and surround sound. Anything I'm missing? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! PSN ID will be MX450248 once I get one lol

you don't need all these materials to qualify , well they give you more realistic experience But the most important thing is practice , practice and practice . Having some racing experience is something good ... it can help you in the finals . But to get to the finals you have to qualify in the game ( which is according to some the hardest part ) and to qualify in the game you have to play as much as you can and to never give up , the more you play the more you have a chance There is no secret , practice makes perfect . Good luck .
ps : physical side is also important in the competition ... thing about it . And see ya at race camp :D

That's what I'm after is the most realistic experience possible since building a dedicated race car is out of the question at the moment...lack of garage space lol. Are the cars in the qualifying rounds paddle shift or stick? Do you get to choose? I have read ALOT of the thread from the qualifying last year to get an idea of how it goes and it seems pretty straight forward...get gold to move on to the next round. Then all hell breaks loose in the final :D I'm going to be ordering the piping tomorrow at work so it's there for me next weekend (I work every other weekend) when government projects are priority :gtpflag:

Also...I train with P90X currently. I feel it helps to build lean muscle and keep stamina up. Does anybody else here use P90X?

Last edited:
Well got the chassis built today! Wish I could upload a couple pics but no bueno on mobile. 3/4 pipe all threaded together with a custom height adjustment for the wheel. Best part is I can break it down in 10 minutes if I want to move it or take it somewhere lol. PS3 is here and GT6 is on its way!

Unless they change from the past years, you will be forced to use the paddles in all the qualifying round. You would need to use them anyway because GT6 has the worst shifting "simulation" of any game. Using the auto clutch with the paddles is way faster no matter the car.

Then, in order of importance:

Practice,
Watch replays of fast drivers in Time Trials
Practice,
Practice,
Practice...

Unless they change from the past years, you will be forced to use the paddles in all the qualifying round. You would need to use them anyway because GT6 has the worst shifting "simulation" of any game. Using the auto clutch with the paddles is way faster no matter the car.

Then, in order of importance:

Practice,
Watch replays of fast drivers in Time Trials
Practice,
Practice,
Practice...

That's good to know thanks! I was going to make a shifter stand to but I'll put that on the back burner lol.

Just played the game for the first time. Don't have my wheel yet do I was playing just with a DS3. Managed to get part of the way to my National A licence in about 2 hours. Going to have internet in the next week or so...ATT has an "issue outside our control" delaying my install...perfect. until then I'll keep practicing in the game!

Parker...I was practicing with my dog barking at me and kicking her Kong...does that count lol?

As far as distractions goes, I race with my 3 yr old son in my lap all the time. But yeah, they sat a camera right below the TV for my 3rd or 4th race. It was really distracting but you just need to deal with it.

As far as distractions goes, I race with my 3 yr old son in my lap all the time. But yeah, they sat a camera right below the TV for my 3rd or 4th race. It was really distracting but you just need to deal with it.

Thanks for the insight. I guess learning to block out the distractions is key. If you ask my wife I'm sure she would tell you that I do that well already haha!

Bought my wheel and pedals...hoping they ship this week! Looking forward to trying out the T500RS!

The UPS truck brought me great joy today!! T500 came!! I can't wait to get this hooked up to my rig and put some laps in...but the OSU-OR game is taking center stage tonight in my house...GO BUCKS!!

Hey GTPlanet! I watched last year and this years GTA and I'm hooked! Just sold my Xbox and picking up a PS3 on Monday.

I raced motocross for 10 years and have raced autocross on occasion with my modded MR2 Turbo and now my modded EVO X. I've always been looking for a way to get into auto racing more and a simulator looks like it's a hell of allot cheaper than building and maintaining a racecar lol!

I'm a fabricator by trade and plan on building my own simulator chassis...pipe inside of pipe for easy and smooth adjustment...all welded connections and race seat on sliders.

Planning on going with a T500RS wheel, TH8A shifter, 40ish inch monitor and surround sound. Anything I'm missing? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! PSN ID will be MX450248 once I get one lol

"Anything I'm missing?"

Have you thought about tactile transducers for your rig - they won't help you win GT Academy, but they will massively increase your immersion in the game by transmitting the engine vibration and road shocks to your seat. As you are in the USA I recommend the Aura Pro Bass Shaker from Parts Express. If you want any more information on tactile send me a PM and I'll be happy to help. Sorry for being so late to the party - I normally avoid threads headed GT Academy as even with a million years of practise I would still be too slow to qualify.

http://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-tactile-transducer--299-028

Doesn't that seem a bit over the top? In all honesty all you really need is a sturdy place to set the wheel, like a table, and a comfortable chair.

Thanks @Sick Cylinder for the info...but I'm not looking to go that far with my rig. I'm with @Doodle on this one...even tho I built a full rig instead of using a table and chair...I'm not looking to get motion sickness haha. Just enough to make it feel like a cockpit when sitting in it.

Thanks @Sick Cylinder for the info...but I'm not looking to go that far with my rig. I'm with @Doodle on this one...even tho I built a full rig instead of using a table and chair...I'm not looking to get motion sickness haha. Just enough to make it feel like a cockpit when sitting in it.

I'm not suggesting motion, just rumble and you could have that for less than the price of a TH8A. You will rarely use a shifter in GT6, but a tactile system adds almost as much to the experience as the switch from a DS3 to a wheel. Have a read through this thread before making a decision:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/my-diy-home-theater-rig.288821/#post-8868200

I'm not suggesting motion, just rumble and you could have that for less than the price of a TH8A. You will rarely use a shifter in GT6, but a tactile system adds almost as much to the experience as the switch from a DS3 to a wheel. Have a read through this thread before making a decision:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/my-diy-home-theater-rig.288821/#post-8868200

Thank you very much for the link. I'm a major DIY kind of guy and was planning on some point in the future doing a cheap surround sound system. This sounds like something that might be able to be integrated! But first things first...practice practice practice!! Getting as much wheel time as I can. Once I finally get internet I'll be able to get into a spec league...prob try out SNAIL!

Put a good few hours into one of the TT's and get back to us. That'll give you an indication of where you stand. Keep in mind, there are lots of GTAcademy potential finalists that only come out for GTA and don't enter the TT's regularly.

Find one that doesn't involve tuning. I don't know what's up right now but you want everyone to be on the same level. One with no tuning and even a set car would be the best.

They stuck them in my face to but I blocked them out because I was focusing on winning the race lol.

They stuck them in my face to but I blocked them out because I was focusing on winning the race lol.
They stuck one in my face too, but it didn't matter because i suck anyways. lol

As for making to the National finals, it takes a lot of practice. A LOTTTT!! As soon as you get the rig done, get online and start practicing. Do the seasonal time trails, and if you have time, do some league racing with the GTP guys. Thats where all the fast guys are at. You can learn a lot from them.

And for making it passed the Nationals, its whole different ball game. The US nationals are heavily weighted on real life driving skills. So you will need to practice your real life driving skills as well. You can be the fastest driver on the game, but if you cant drive a real car you probably wont make it passed the nationals. So get at least some autocross or track time under your belt.

Another factor that you wont hear people talk about is the nerves. The amount of pressure that you will be under is insane! This is something that is very hard to replicate until you are there. You only get one chance to impress the judges, and if you blow it, you will have to wait another year. I will use myself as an example. When i got in the car last year, there was so much adrenaline rushing through me that my hands and knees were shaking. because of that, I couldn't modulate the throttle or the brakes. So basically i was either 100% throttle, or no throttle. It crippled my thought process. I over drove the car and lost a lot of time. And even though i only 1 second off the fastest lap of the day, I was way out of the top ten. The room for error is very small!

Those are my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

Thank you for the info! Internet gets installed today. I will get on and do some of the seasonal tts to see where I'm at then practice practice practice! I have been looking into league racing and definitely leaving toward GTP. Here's a pic of my rig 75% completed:

15782765653_b5964d4bb3_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen this mentioned on this thread, but if you are a family guy think about them and find a balance. Bear in mind your wife and children's idea of a reasonable time to spend on a hobby may not match your own so you may need to ramp it down a bit if you want to stay a family man.

You may need to agree with your family a time when you practise - e.g. you get up early and do an hour before work each day and also before the family are up at weekends and it is time to start doing chores - they are likely to look on that more favourably than if you turn your wife into a gaming widow by doing GT all evening!

I haven't seen this mentioned on this thread, but if you are a family guy think about them and find a balance. Bear in mind your wife and children's idea of a reasonable time to spend on a hobby may not match your own so you may need to ramp it down a bit if you want to stay a family man.

You may need to agree with your family a time when you practise - e.g. you get up early and do an hour before work each day and also before the family are up at weekends and it is time to start doing chores - they are likely to look on that more favourably than if you turn your wife into a gaming widow by doing GT all evening!

I know exactly what your are saying and I agree...if I had kids lol. My wife is the coolest and doesn't care if I spend time practicing. There's lots of days where I'm at home and she's working and I get to drive...so the times when we are both home I spend it with her working on the house or getting other things done. I work a weird schedule so it's not the normal 9-5. No family yet other than the dog but as long as I throw her Kong she's happy too lol.

So...got internet and turned everything on. Set up my psnid and started the game. It wanted to download updates...sure that would be swell. 2.5 hours to download the 14 updates. Gave me time to snow blow 14 inches of snow off the drive. It started of saying 900 mins to install the updates...it's 10 mins later now and it decided it only needs 6 mins...got the past 5 mins. Has anyone had lengthy download and install times like this??

So...got internet and turned everything on. Set up my psnid and started the game. It wanted to download updates...sure that would be swell. 2.5 hours to download the 14 updates. Gave me time to snow blow 14 inches of snow off the drive. It started of saying 900 mins to install the updates...it's 10 mins later now and it decided it only needs 6 mins...got the past 5 mins. Has anyone had lengthy download and install times like this??
Yes, a slightly ridiculous installation time is normal when playing the game for the first time, but you'll only have to do it once on that console (future updates can also take a while to install, but not that long).

Welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:

I've been looking at the multiple racing leagues offered in and around GTPlanet...my one question...do any of the leagues start races before 9-10pm EST?? I mean I can hang at the late hour but something starting around 8-9pm would be good for having to get up at 5am Monday morning

I've been looking at the multiple racing leagues offered in and around GTPlanet...my one question...do any of the leagues start races before 9-10pm EST?? I mean I can hang at the late hour but something starting around 8-9pm would be good for having to get up at 5am Monday morning

It's not a league, but you could always try racing in my room - we race from 17:00 - 19:00 GMT every Sunday and have several members from the USA. EST is 5 hours earlier than GMT.

Official GTP WRS races are run on wednesday night 10PM EST you might want to take a look if you can get on that day
Or 5 PM EST on saturdays every week there is new car and track combo to race on

Back