New hands on preview

• Thread starter Drillah
  • 14 comments
Drillah
Hands on at IGN

Sounds good so far.

What are the tracks he can't mention and what bike licenses are they waiting on are the burning questions I have.
Thanks Drillah. 👍

There will be a few brand-new courses in the game that are famous for being motorcycle courses in real life, though those have yet to be unveiled.
The reconfirmation of new tracks is pleasing. :)

I was just reading this on IGN and was going to post it here. :D

Funny though, at the end of the page there's a link to the video where it says there's 10 videos, but when I click it only two appear. The first trailer and that video from TGS.

There will be a few brand-new courses in the game that are famous for being motorcycle courses in real life

So there is still a slim hope for the actual TT course...

IGN
You can't perform the static setup shots, but you're given the full range of options for in-race photos, which I always thought was the better part anyway.
What? No Phototravel, just Photodrive? Better than nothing I suppose :).
SCEA Press Release Document
To further improve their racing skills, in Challenge Mode, players have access to Photo Mode, which allows them to take snapshots of their favorite bike and race gear in their favorite location, as well as freezing frames of an actual race from a replay.
So there is Phototravel? Who's telling the truth?

Looks like IGN has their ten videos online now. Possible box art?

Just noticed new TT SCEA Press Release,

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Polyphony Digital, Inc.
Genre: Racing
Players: 1-2 players
Platform: PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK®2 analog controller, Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2)
Launch Date: Spring 2006
Target Age: Males, 18-34 years
Rating: “RP” for “Rating Pending”

OVERVIEW

Created by Polyphony Digital Inc., developers of Gran Turismo™ – the best-selling worldwide racing videogame franchise, Tourist Trophy offers players more than 100 licensed motorcycles to race in various game modes amongst more than 35 international courses. Featuring gameplay for up to two players, Tourist Trophy captures the fluid movement of man and machine like never before with perfected game physics and graphics for an authentic true-to-life motorcycle riding simulation. Featured licensed motorcycle manufacturers include BMW Motorrad, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph and more.

KEY FEATURES
  • Critically-acclaimed development team: from the developers of Gran Turismo, the best-selling worldwide racing videogame franchise with more than 44 million units sold.
  • Real-life simulation: perfected game physics, graphics and the balance of the rider versus the bike are accurately captured to offer the most authentic motorcycle racing simulation available.
  • Motorcycles: Tourist Trophy features more than 100 licensed motorcycles from more than a dozen worldwide manufacturers that include BMW, Honda, Ducati, Buell, Kawasaki, Triumph and more.
  • Courses: Tourist Trophy features more than 35 international courses that include closed-circuit and city tracks. Introduction of new tracks and the return of popular tracks from the Gran Turismo franchise include Tsukuba, Laguna Seca, New York City, Suzuka and more.
  • Game Modes: Tourist Trophy offers two modes of play, Arcade Mode and Challenge Mode. In both modes, players have the opportunity to select their bike, track and difficulty level.
    • Arcade Mode: players have access to a quick race for single-player or two-player battle. In two-player battle, players have the option to race in split-screen.
    • Challenge Mode: it serves as a career mode for players to earn their way up the ladder by participating in the license school missions, various race events and more in an effort to upgrade and unlock new bikes and related accessories. The license school will include various tests that will strive to better the player’s driving skills in driving a motorcycle in various conditions and at various speeds, taking into account the rider and their riding style. Upon obtaining a license, players will have access to various race events based on engine class (250cc to 1500cc), course selection and more. In between race events, players have the opportunity to participate in a Time Trial on various courses to improve lap times and access their garage.
  • Photo Mode: To further improve their racing skills, in Challenge Mode, players have access to Photo Mode, which allows them to take snapshots of their favorite bike and race gear by freezing frames of an actual race from a replay. Upon taking a photograph, players have the opportunity to save it to a Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2) or a USB storage device and share it with friends. After doing so, players can have the opportunity to print photographs directly from their PlayStation 2 USB port by using a printer that includes a PlayStation driver, such as Epson’s PictureMate.
  • Licensed Accessories: With the incorporation of the motorcycle driver, players have access to a wardrobe where they can customize their rider by selecting from numerous licensed helmets, suits, shoes and more to further authenticate the riding experience
  • Rider Editor: Players have the opportunity to customize their riding form through a variety of parameters, whether it is preference to riding “out” verse “in” and so forth.
  • Customization: Players have the opportunity to earn credits and upgrade their motorcycles to enhance performance of their bike.
  • In-Game Soundtrack: Tourist Trophy will offer a selection of original and licensed tracks.

Tourist Trophy features more than 100 licensed motorcycles.
attachment.php

scps15105-n.jpg

Nice work Hayden. It’s not the most striking cover, though we’ll see if it’s the real deal soon enough. TT is gathering steam…

The physics seem a bit odd. I hope that's just in the arcade mode, but every time he went off the track the bike kept going straight, like if it was on tarmac.

Well on my trip to the Nordschleife i was in the stupid situation to leave the racing surface :ill:, and what should i say it wasn't that scary. If you don't want to turn in a corner you can correct the direction. The funny thing was that before that lap (my sixth) the instructor gave tips, what to do when leaving the tarmac. :D

Yeah, but in one of the videos he cuts right through the Laguna Seca's chicane and the bike doesn't even shake. I hope they fix that.

FatAssBR
The physics seem a bit odd. I hope that's just in the arcade mode, but every time he went off the track the bike kept going straight, like if it was on tarmac.

Have to say I agree with you there. The physics do seem a long way off being accurate. On several instances the bike should have lowsided when the rider left the track whilst still leant over. Speed doesn't seem to effect the physics much either. One of the vids shows a rider blasting down a straight at what would be in excess of 100mph yet he still managed to make very quick adjustments to the steering as if he was pootling along at 30. And the bike didn't seem to pitch/dive much under braking.

Bit concerning considering the game is really quite close to release now. Hopefully it will all come good in the end still. *fingers crossed*

I like the handlebar view but i was a little disappointed to see the handlebars being turned to the right while making a right hand turn at a moderate rate of speed. The animation should have shown a slight handlebar deflection to the left to initiate the lean. Not a show stopper for me, but still a bummer since even MotoGP3 for the PC got this part right.

Dom.S
Have to say I agree with you there. The physics do seem a long way off being accurate. On several instances the bike should have lowsided when the rider left the track whilst still leant over. Speed doesn't seem to effect the physics much either. One of the vids shows a rider blasting down a straight at what would be in excess of 100mph yet he still managed to make very quick adjustments to the steering as if he was pootling along at 30. And the bike didn't seem to pitch/dive much under braking.

I thought that too, that the game seemed too forgiving when going off-track. I noticed, though, that in the replay you can see the bike squirming around as the player steers back on to the track. Maybe with a DS2 in-hand we'll be able to get a better feel for how control is affected by riding on gravel/grass. It may be that steering inputs are automatically dampened in an effort to keep the bike upright in the gravel/grass.

The steering movement looks much better than Namco's games. Something I'm not seeing much is rear-wheel steering. It's possible to make a good game without it: SBK2001 for PC had minimal rear-wheel drift but compensated by having the tire spin if the bike was leaned over and too much throttle was applied; it was almost the opposite of Namco's method, which is to have most of the game spent with the bike sideways.

Something any decent motorcycle game should have is highsides (hint THQ) and I've yet to see any in the TT footage.

I'm glad there's a 1st person view without the handlebars. I could never stand the cockpit view in SBK2001 and GP500, and TT's also looks more like you're sitting on the pillion, from the distance to the bubble and tach.

Latest Posts

Back