New member here, hi everyone :)

• Thread starter FSportIS
  • 17 comments
United States
United States
Hi, I have been lurking on gtplanet forum for a long time since I started playing GT5 just last year. After they shut down the server, I am forced to buy the GT6 and so far very happy with it.

I mainly play solo and mostly with the seasonal events. So far I have gold some of the recent events, some of which are fine while some are difficult. Most of the learning/training on how to race is from auto-crossing (not street racing) with my Lexus IS350, indoor karting, reading the Ultimate Speed Secrets from Ross Bentley book and playing GT6 with the steering wheel.

In my honest opinion, comparing real life driving and the game, the physics is very, very real. I am so blessed to race in this game without spending so much money on the real track (maintenance, admission ticket, equipments, tires, brake etc) and also able to test so many different cars as well as driving at the limit or even over the limit without the fear of crashing. What I like most about this GT6 is the addition of the Big Willow track which is actually local track in my area.

Alright, enough of my introduction, I would like to make some friends on the network to either race together or see the replay/ghost so I can learn more from the pros like you :)

Sorry to say that I never try the online racing feature or how it works because I fear that I'm not good enough (it is intimidating to look at the top 10 on the seasonal time trial and see how slow I am even with gold). I would appreciate if someone walk me through this online racing feature a bit like setting up a race, joining a race, setting up the requirements, lobby etc

Hi, I have been lurking on gtplanet forum for a long time since I started playing GT5 just last year. After they shut down the server, I am forced to buy the GT6 and so far very happy with it.

I mainly play solo and mostly with the seasonal events. So far I have gold some of the recent events, some of which are fine while some are difficult. Most of the learning/training on how to race is from auto-crossing (not street racing) with my Lexus IS350, indoor karting, reading the Ultimate Speed Secrets from Ross Bentley book and playing GT6 with the steering wheel.

In my honest opinion, comparing real life driving and the game, the physics is very, very real. I am so blessed to race in this game without spending so much money on the real track (maintenance, admission ticket, equipments, tires, brake etc) and also able to test so many different cars as well as driving at the limit or even over the limit without the fear of crashing. What I like most about this GT6 is the addition of the Big Willow track which is actually local track in my area.

Alright, enough of my introduction, I would like to make some friends on the network to either race together or see the replay/ghost so I can learn more from the pros like you :)

Sorry to say that I never try the online racing feature or how it works because I fear that I'm not good enough (it is intimidating to look at the top 10 on the seasonal time trial and see how slow I am even with gold). I would appreciate if someone walk me through this online racing feature a bit like setting up a race, joining a race, setting up the requirements, lobby etc
Track days are fun online, no judgement, don't have to race if you don't want to, just drive and enjoy the car and track.

May I add some of you guys to race together, and learn the ghost replay?? Can someone walk me through the online race feature as I never use it before. Thanks.

Dont be afraid to jump online mate, you will almost always find another peron in a free drive lobby that will just belt out some lap times with you in a similar powered car. It is great for practice.

And dont push the horse before the cart. Dont worry about setting up your own lobby just yet, jump into a well populated free drive lobby on a track you enj0y, and just go from there. You can have some great fun just hot lapping with other people online, that way you get good practice, and there are no consequences if you make contact with each other, or go off track.

I would like to make some friends on the network to either race together or see the replay/ghost so I can learn more from the pros like you :)

Welcome to GTPlanet and the fabulous world of online racing.

There is much good advice that has already been given in this thread. I am not a pro, but I'll add a few suggestions.

If this was GT5 online I would say start with shuffle racing - that will give you the best introduction to online, however PD eliminated that option from GT6 (very strange and unwise decision). In the absence of a shuffle option I think the next best thing for a beginner to try is "Garage" or Spec racing - the game contains 32 (from memory) loan cars. You don't need to own any of them. When you race everyone has the same untuned car loaned to them by the game.

My next suggestion is decide what floats your boat - for example I have a friend who just does 550PP races round the Nordschliefe. He has limited time and that is what gives him his fix (at least until the track creator comes). If you look through the online racing section of GTPlanet there is a myriad of choices. There is no reason why you shouldn't start championship racing - look for rooms which welcome novices or beginers. Personally I think it is important to get a quality experience from your time online and you can get this from a championship - practise with friends, prepare and tune your cars for that weeks events etc. Obviously you need to find one that suits you - most Hosts will be happy to have you observe a meeting using the watch function.

If you want to host meetings yourself, get a microphone - cheap ones are ok such as the EX03 (about $15) and start with a public room offering garage racing. Start with the same time slot every week and with a few friends already in the room otherwise you can find it takes a long time to fill a room. A mic will also make racing with a friend or friends more enjoyable - it's also good for training each other on lines round circuits.

Have a think about whether you want to race with driving aids and on what sort of tyres. Most beginners opt for all the aids and race soft tyres. I think the best rooms don't use driving aids and don't use race soft tyres. You may already be doing so, but if you start doing your TT's without aids, it will improve your driving and increase your enjoyment of the game. GTPlanet has a "No SRF Friends Club" and if you add yourself to that list you will have a ready source of quality driving buddies.

If you have a wheel with a clutch and gated shifter therte is a "Clutch Club" - I don't know much about it, but Jogo Asobi does and is a very helpful guy.

Finally be careful with your priorities - it is easy to spend too much time online and not enough with your real world friends, family and partner. Sometimes it is wise to take a step back and look at it from their point of view and ask yourself that question.

Good luck and happy racing!

Welcome to GTPlanet, I hope that you enjoy! :cheers:

Hi @FSportIS.

Welcome to GTPlanet and the fabulous world of online racing...
<snip>
...Good luck and happy racing!
All excellent advice - not much to add to this really.
Johnny P's link above is also full of good advice - of what to avoid!

Here's a few useful links from the GT6 manual that might help you...

Open Lobby

Lounge

Connections

Sorry to say that I never try the online racing feature or how it works because I fear that I'm not good enough (it is intimidating to look at the top 10 on the seasonal time trial and see how slow I am even with gold).
Yes you can look at these times and feel quite daunted, but don't worry. These are the exceptional drivers - you won't necessarily be up against them! And of course their times in races will be a little slower - probably :eek:.

Online races against a good bunch of real people opens the game up so much more.
Just try a few rooms and build up a list of friends who you've enjoyed racing against - then after awhile you'll probably stick to the same "crowd".

By all means add me if you want PSN: IfAndOr

Wow, thank you, thank you all of you that make me feel very welcomed :) I have added couple PSN names yesterday and thanks for the friend acceptance. I will add more names to the list and clear some licenses before getting to the lobby.

Johnny, the information about online etiquette is very nice. I hope to have positive experience starting online racing.

I autocross/track/karting with real cars before getting to know this game. At first I thought it is just an arcade video game like another Need For Speed but after playing it for a few weeks, I'm AMAZED by its realism. Not only its physics, the TRACK itself is SO REAL. I'm talking directly on the Big Willow track which is close to my area. All the details of the surrounding, the elevation, the turns, the road width, the racing line is almost exactly like real! I have to even say that the game track looks better than real too haha.

I myself really appreciate the work involved in the creation of this game. At least, I can save a lot more money playing this game than autocross/track outside which is very expensive ($100-$250 per a day event plus car maintenance like tires/brakes etc). Do you guys also autocross/track outside too?

The only big thing that lacks in this game and possibly in all other similar racing game is simulating sitting inside a real car feeling the g-force when cornering. I am lucky to try some couple seats like this in autoshow. They are fine in term of simulating the weight transfer, the body roll but still lack the g-force feedback. It is still good enough though. Where can we buy something like that and how much would it cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only big thing that lacks in this game and possibly in all other similar racing game is simulating sitting inside a real car feeling the g-force when cornering. I am lucky to try some couple seats like this in autoshow. They are fine in term of simulating the weight transfer, the body roll but still lack the g-force feedback. It is still good enough though. Where can we buy something like that and how much would it cost?

There is a sim racing hardware section of GTPlanet - best to look on their. Some of the guys have full motion systems and also Simvibe seven channel tactile feedback systems, but only on PC.

Moved to Introduce Yourself area. @FSportIS please don't double and triple post. The Edit button is there on your posts for occasions where you want to add more and no one else has posted yet. Enjoy your time here. :)

Back