New Member here

  • Thread starter Thread starter sauberc11
  • 38 comments
  • 1,581 views
Messages
66
Hey guys, only found the forum a few days ago but I think that it is brilliant. Anyway a bit about me i'm a 32 year old finance director that owns a 23% stake in a British Formula Renault team, so obviously my main hobby is watching them win!! My lovely wife, bless her bought me GT4 for xmas, and I can't put it down, I have had such a busy year and have never got around to buying it. Something of a disgrace as I am gran turismo mad. I found GT1 quite difficult, but then flew through GT2 getting around 90-95% and got bored after I won the 787B at 75% in GT3.
Then came GT4 and since xmas I can't put it down, even though I am struggling with some of the hard rallies keeping the back end from sliding around on my 205 T16 Evo 1, circa 460bhp. My B-Spec Bob is doing quite well and has around 8000 skill level, and my completion so far is 68.6%.
Anyway that is quite a bit about me, but finally I want to talk about the cars, firstly what do people think is the best Le Mans car? R8, EXP8, Minolta, V12 LMR? I am really considering doing the DTM race a few times in my CLK or Abt-TT to buy an R8, but will it be that much better at the professional races? Also, I did notice something about this bored, you may call it petty but coming from a racing background I did pick up on it, you refer to Le Mans/Sportscars as LMP's? Why is this, an LMP is a LE MANS PROTOTYPE, in the old scheme of things, cars like the Audi R8C (not the R8R which would of made a nice addition to the game), BMW V12 LMR are LMP's. The Minolta, C9, EXP8 e.g anything that is a fixed head car isn't an LMP, it is either a GT1; Toyota GT1, R390, EXP8, 787B, 905 etc. Or a GT2 Oreca Viper, C5R etc.
I am also thinking of getting a steering wheel, I have the old race seat from a GT2 Chamberlain Viper in my garage and was thinking of making a mock racing seat/wheel combo, any ideas on the best one? So much to talk about, the vast choice of cars is what got me, I am still trying to work out which is my favourite in the game, at the minute it's a choice between the GT40 race car, because it is the best car I have ever driven, the V12 LMR because I was at Le Mans the year it won, and the noise it makes!! The 3400S because it is beautiful to drift in the game and because my wife has one. I drive a CLS merc (plz PD put it in the next game, along with the audi r8r, bmw m1, duesenberg ssj and sauber c11). And the Shelby Gt350 mustang because i have a half restored Gt500 in the garage as my pet project. Finally I should draw my post to a close, the final thing I want to ask of the forum is, I have the GT40 racecar and I was racing in the american championship last night and one of the competitor cars was a Gt40 LM car. I want this car, how do I get it???? Ohh, and how do I get a Tommy Kiara ZZII? it was my 2nd favourite car in GT3...

Kindest Regards

Sauber C11

Renault Sport Uk Forever - See you all at Brands Hatch!!
 
sauberc11
Hey guys, only found the forum a few days ago but I think that it is brilliant. Anyway a bit about me i'm a 32 year old finance director that owns a 23% stake in a British Formula Renault team, so obviously my main hobby is watching them win!! My lovely wife, bless her bought me GT4 for xmas, and I can't put it down, I have had such a busy year and have never got around to buying it. Something of a disgrace as I am gran turismo mad. I found GT1 quite difficult, but then flew through GT2 getting around 90-95% and got bored after I won the 787B at 75% in GT3.
Then came GT4 and since xmas I can't put it down, even though I am struggling with some of the hard rallies keeping the back end from sliding around on my 205 T16 Evo 1, circa 460bhp. My B-Spec Bob is doing quite well and has around 8000 skill level, and my completion so far is 68.6%.
Anyway that is quite a bit about me, but finally I want to talk about the cars, firstly what do people think is the best Le Mans car? R8, EXP8, Minolta, V12 LMR? I am really considering doing the DTM race a few times in my CLK or Abt-TT to buy an R8, but will it be that much better at the professional races? Also, I did notice something about this bored, you may call it petty but coming from a racing background I did pick up on it, you refer to Le Mans/Sportscars as LMP's? Why is this, an LMP is a LE MANS PROTOTYPE, in the old scheme of things, cars like the Audi R8C (not the R8R which would of made a nice addition to the game), BMW V12 LMR are LMP's. The Minolta, C9, EXP8 e.g anything that is a fixed head car isn't an LMP, it is either a GT1; Toyota GT1, R390, EXP8, 787B, 905 etc. Or a GT2 Oreca Viper, C5R etc.
I am also thinking of getting a steering wheel, I have the old race seat from a GT2 Chamberlain Viper in my garage and was thinking of making a mock racing seat/wheel combo, any ideas on the best one? So much to talk about, the vast choice of cars is what got me, I am still trying to work out which is my favourite in the game, at the minute it's a choice between the GT40 race car, because it is the best car I have ever driven, the V12 LMR because I was at Le Mans the year it won, and the noise it makes!! The 3400S because it is beautiful to drift in the game and because my wife has one. I drive a CLS merc (plz PD put it in the next game, along with the audi r8r, bmw m1, duesenberg ssj and sauber c11). And the Shelby Gt350 mustang because i have a half restored Gt500 in the garage as my pet project. Finally I should draw my post to a close, the final thing I want to ask of the forum is, I have the GT40 racecar and I was racing in the american championship last night and one of the competitor cars was a Gt40 LM car. I want this car, how do I get it???? Ohh, and how do I get a Tommy Kiara ZZII? it was my 2nd favourite car in GT3...

Kindest Regards

Sauber C11

Renault Sport Uk Forever - See you all at Brands Hatch!!

I'd love to be part of a racing team.... lucky you.:grumpy:

You can buy thr Tommy Kaira i think... its about 500,000 credits.
 
First, welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:

Have a good time here. Most questions you will have already have been answered and the search will become one of your best friends here. There have been many comparisons about the Le Mans cars and the most common answer is the '04 Pescarolo. Search for LMP to find out more.

The best wheel is the Logitech Driving Force Pro, search for DFP to find out more.

You'll get the GT LM from the GT World Championship, the last race in the Professional Hall. It's one of the hardest series in the game and if you need help, search for GTWC. :) The Tommykaira ZZII you can just buy as X-Othermic said.

Again, welcome and have a good time!
 
First off, welcome to GTP!

That is one nice first post you have written there and I gotta tell you, it has to be the longest first post ever! So congrats on that :dopey:👍

What comes to the LMP question, the answer why people use LMP for every LeMans car the game has is because it's simple to classify all the LeMans cars under one category, even if it's not right :D

My mate Greaycap already answered the other questions along side with X-Othermic, so I'll just wish you a pleasent stay at GTP!
 
sauberc11
I did pick up on it, you refer to Le Mans/Sportscars as LMP's? Why is this, an LMP is a LE MANS PROTOTYPE, in the old scheme of things, cars like the Audi R8C (not the R8R which would of made a nice addition to the game), BMW V12 LMR are LMP's. The Minolta, C9, EXP8 e.g anything that is a fixed head car isn't an LMP, it is either a GT1; Toyota GT1, R390, EXP8, 787B, 905 etc. Or a GT2 Oreca Viper, C5R etc.

Welcome to the board :)

The Toyota 88C-V (Minolta sponsored) and Sauber C9 are neither GT1 nor GT2 cars, they're Group C, AFAIK.
 
sauberc11
i'm a 32 year old finance director that owns a 23% stake in a British Formula Renault team


Need a driver?

[/Whoring self]

As for everything else, take a look at the GTWiki - there's car lists (including prize car lists) aplenty in there.
 
A big fat welcome from a former Renault UK employee (and long time follower of Formula Renault - well the tickets did used to be free).

Welcome to GT Planet, glad you find it a useful place, the forum should be able to answer almost all of you're questions regarding GT4.

Have a good look around, maybe enter a few Photomode competitions or have a look at the on-line race series.

Regards

Scaff
 
Welcome to GTP, you lucky bast... The Tommy Kaira ZZ-II can be bought from the showroom. Also the LeMans cars are generalised as LMP cars by a lot of people on here, the fact is GT4 features many classes of car that raced at LeMans including Group C cars, GTP, GT1, LMP, LMPGT (or LMGTP can never remember where the GT goes) and more.
 
Howdy, SC11, and welcome to GTPlanet! Glad to have another tech-head on board.

Without doubt, the Logitech Driving Force Pro is the wheel to have. It is not without quality issues - the pedals occasionally freak out, among other things - but overall it's the best feel and the best supported by GT4. Building a sturdy and comfortable stand is key to enjoying it, but with a racing seat in hand you've got a head start.

Also, forcing a few extra line breaks into your posts will keep us from running out of breath reading it. ;) Enjoy your stay with us; hope it's a long one.
 
Welcome to the boards.

You have a fine stable of cars, both in GT4 and in real life :)
 
Welcome to a place somewere on the web called gtplanet.net.

Have fun looking around, and take a look at my gallery,(link in sig)
Use the search butten wisely, and happy posting. 👍
 
Hey guys thanks for the pleasant greetings that I have recieved, sorry my response has been a while coming, just I have had a very busy week. What free time I have had though I have started making my GT4 race simulator, I have got one of my old school friends to weld me some tubular poles together, which will now act as the base for my seat, which I have dusted off and removed the race harness/belts from it (I doubt I will need them sitting in the spare bedroom looking at the t.v). I have looked at the steering wheel you have recommened and have found a good deal on the net and it should be arriving at the end of the week.

GT4 is going very well, I have now completed most of the rallies, including the 2nd to last one (forgotten the name) which has given me the escudo. I just had Tsukuba Wet and Swiss Alps on medium/hard and the final rally on hard to finish off all the rallies. I also let B-Spec bob win some more endurances, he took the Montegi 8 hours in a bought R8 and the Tskuba 9 hours in a bought Peugeot 905 which is lots of fun!!! The R8 I bought has the red nose cone, does this mean that the one you win at le mans 24hours has the yellow cone, as this is the one that I am currently racing in the GT World championship?

My total % is now upto 72.3%, but I have been doing some vega 1/4mile times, the RS200 is very fast, as is the caterham. I am so dosey not noticing that the ZZII is buyable and I can say I am now the proud owner of one (on GT4 anyway) and that I was having hours of fun thrashing around it in the Nurnburing.

The Nurnburgring that is an interesting subject all of it's own, firstly i have to say that it is more realistic than it is in PGR3, even though that does have a Ferrari Dino (hopefully my next real-life purchase, well when the Mustang has had it's engine rebuilt). Yet they both have the start finish lines in the wrong place. Who else has driven the 'burg, I would like to hear your views, in some of the corners I feel that they are either too sharp or not sharp enough when compared to real-life, I have taken a Clio V6 Mk1 around there (very scary as the MK1 is so skitish at the back end, the MK2 is 10x better, and is such a fabulous car) and on the game I struggled getting a 9.30, yet I drove the track last year and got a 9.09 in real-life, haha, anyway I think in future PD should give the 'burg more grip, I think they are making it more scary than it is!!

What cars does everyone else drive that is on the board, have you driven what you own on GT4? If so how do your times compare? Like I said before I have a GT500 Mustang (minus the top-end of an engine), 3400S and a CLS and the GT350 on the game and the 3400S in my opinion are quite good representations of their real life counterparts.

What tracks would you like to see on GT4 in the future? Donnington Park would be nice, it will never happen though. Im thinking Zolder possibly, Dijon, old and new Monza, Long Beach, Daytona 24hr would be a nice endurance addition for B-spec Bob?

Do you think if I tell PD enough that I want the Sauber-Mercedes C11 in GT5 they will do it, they have the bodyshell from the C9. And the C11 is the best racing car (and the fastest) I have ever driven.

I have definately gone on too much now, but I hope I will see you all at Oulton Park in Cheshire on April 16th, and again at Silverstone on May 7th, and Donington on May 21st....

Happy GT4 Racing

Sauber C11


P.S - I also found 1/4 mile vegas strip, Black GT1 Toyota is 0.4s faster than it's racing sibling!!
 
sauberc11
The Nurnburgring that is an interesting subject all of it's own, firstly i have to say that it is more realistic than it is in PGR3, even though that does have a Ferrari Dino (hopefully my next real-life purchase, well when the Mustang has had it's engine rebuilt). Yet they both have the start finish lines in the wrong place.

The new start/finish is the bridge on Dottinger Hohe, I believe. The traditional start/finish is at T13, where it appears in GT4.


Anyway... needing any drivers? :D

[/fawning and ingratiating]
 
WOOOOWWW thats one awsome job:D Or well...job, anyway welcome m8, to the wonderfull GTP forums. There's tons of stuff here around GTP btw, if you ever get bored of GT4. Get into drifting, go to rumble strip, go to opinions stuff blablabla:tup:

It's really nice here. Welcome:)
 
sauberc11
What tracks would you like to see on GT4 in the future? Donnington Park would be nice, it will never happen though. Im thinking Zolder possibly, Dijon, old and new Monza, Long Beach, Daytona 24hr would be a nice endurance addition for B-spec Bob?

Interesting question, and one that's been discussed a little in the Car-change Game thread, if you're interested. I'd love to see Spa, Surfers Paradise, Elkhart Lake, Road Atlanta, Mount Panorama and Sebring make an appearance. Oulton Park is a nice circuit, but not really well-known enough to be in GT, I suspect (though I didn't know about Tsukuba, mind).

My favourite Le Mans car is probably the Mazda 787B. Great car, and I love the way it looks - sort of the quintessential Group C car. I also like the Sauber C9, but haven't driven it yet - the Mclaren F1 is also great to look at (though not completely competitive with the LMPs and Group Cs). I like the Minolta Toyota in the game, but I wouldn't say it's a favourite because unlike the others it doesn't have any sort of history at Le Mans (not much of one, anyway). Same goes for the Nissan R92CP - and I don't like the hairdryer on the back of that car.
 
I don't believe much of what he said about himself.

23% shareholder in Renault F1? You're talking millions there. I call BS, you would never have mentioned it if it where true.
 
No one has talked about F1 here, but Formula Renault. They're "beginner formulas", usually driven before moving to F3.
 
mizxecio
I don't believe much of what he said about himself.

Why would you care? Could you prove it false? Would you want to?

mizxecio
23% shareholder in Renault F1? You're talking millions there. I call BS, you would never have mentioned it if it where true.

Formula Renault ≠ Renault F1.
 
mizxecio
I don't believe much of what he said about himself.

23% shareholder in Renault F1? You're talking millions there. I call BS, you would never have mentioned it if it where true.
Someone's a little jealous :dopey:
 
Yeah, sorry I can't read, I take that back, but i still don't believe he owns the cars he says he does
SkylineGoes
Someone's a little jealous :dopey:
:lol:
 
mizxecio
I don't believe much of what he said about himself.

23% shareholder in Renault F1? You're talking millions there. I call BS, you would never have mentioned it if it where true.

I thought I read "23% stake in a British Formula Renault team", which does not sound to me like being related to F1.

PhM
 
mizxecio
Yeah, sorry I can't read, I take that back, but i still don't believe he owns the cars he says he does:lol:
Why not? Just because one of us does something most of us will never do...
 
X-Othermic
Why not? Just because one of us does something most of us will never do...
i might be wrong, but thats just my opinion, about the cars
 
Dont mind it m8s, there are tons of important people....
 
mizxecio
Yeah, sorry I can't read, I take that back, but i still don't believe he owns the cars he says he does:lol:
There's an easy way to fix that.

Hey, SC9, I'm not calling you out, but here's the standard "request for proof" we sometimes like to see here at GTP:

Simply pick your favorite one of your cars. Write "Hello, GTPlanet!" in a nice fat marker on a piece of paper or a card. Prop it somewhere on the car that requires acess, such as on top of the intake box or something, and take a few digital pics. Then post them here.

You've got nothing to prove at this point, but if you want to curb suspicions like these, that's the way to do it.

Glad to hear you've ordered a wheel. GT4 is an all-new game with it.
 
R5Turbo2
I thought I read "23% stake in a British Formula Renault team", which does not sound to me like being related to F1.

PhM

Yep he said British Formula Renault, a national racing series in the Uk designed to develop up and coming single seater driver talent.

While Formula Renault is a feeder into the likes of Formula 3, which can then lead onto Formula 1, they are not directly related, also given that a 2002 spec Formula Renault car could be bought for around £14k (and would be competative at the rear of the grid). Its certainly not beyond imagination.

Formula Renault to Renault F1 is a big leap.

Info here

Regards

Scaff
 
Scaff
Yep he said British Formula Renault, a national racing series in the Uk designed to develop up and coming single seater driver talent.

While Formula Renault is a feeder into the likes of Formula 3, which can then lead onto Formula 1, they are not directly related, also given that a 2002 spec Formula Renault car could be bought for around £14k (and would be competative at the rear of the grid). Its certainly not beyond imagination.

Formula Renault to Renault F1 is a big leap.

Info here

Regards

Scaff

Thats what Raikkonen did, before he got into F1 wasn't it?
 
Hey guys, I never meant to provoke this reception!!! I don't think that my cars are anything particularly special? My CLS350 is a company car and is the norm when you are a finance director for a large plc company. When I bought the 3400s for my wife's 30th birthday, I had to import it from Germany when the Euro was strong and I got change from £55k. However which car would you like me to put the sign thing on? How about I write "I want this car in GT5" and put it on the tail (let's face it, it is the sexiest bit of the car) of my GT500. And someone sent me a private message asking about my project Mustang and I said I would post pics of the whole project as soon as I'm back from a conference. What cars does everyone else drive?

It made me smile when someone thought I owned a 23% stake in Renault F1, hehe, it is not as expensive as you think running a Formula Renault team and i'm commercial director so can keep an eye on the pennies, thousands maybe but not millions. Most of the racing is supported by clients i'm close too who have very nice cars which they have let me drive in the past, e.g, sauber c11, gt40, 360 cs and diablo se. I have a picture of one of our Formula Ren's at a test at donington with my cls in the background, I can post that up???

All the best
Sauber C11
 
X-Othermic
Thats what Raikkonen did, before he got into F1 wasn't it?

It is indeed, in fact in this weeks Autosport Raikkonen's old Migale SJ99 Formula Renault car can be bought for £7,500. Now thats a bargin.

Regards

Scaff
 
Back