New Need for Speed Unbound Trailer Reveals Gameplay Glimpse and "Tags"

• Thread starter Famine
  • 41 comments
Crappy arcade drifty physics are still present to this is already a letdown. Games are striving to archive a very realistic feeling or at least a well balanced driving experience. Tap brake to get 180 degree sideways is so outdated by now, I can't understant why NFS dudes can't figure it out.

Racing games, like any other video game, are entertainment media. They are primarily striving to be profitable and be at least some degree of entertaining - in that order. Not every racing game is realistic, nor should they be. If you're expecting Unbound to play like Assetto Corsa, you are going to be tremendously disappointed.

Basic effects can't be disabled:

Honestly, they can load as many visual effects as they want into the game, and while it's probably gonna have MTX in it, I would much rather all the MTX be tied to cosmetics of that nature than cars or gameplay advantages. All I hope is they won't be overly distracting while actually playing. I'm not expecting a cockpit view, but a hood or bumper view that doesn't feel strange is all I am hoping for.

EDIT: As for the driving model, it does not need to be realistic. All I want is for drifting to not be the only way to take a corner quickly. Is it that hard to imagine driving physics that makes sense without going full simulation?

Last edited:
EDIT: As for the driving model, it does not need to be realistic. All I want is for drifting to not be the only way to take a corner quickly. Is it that hard to imagine driving physics that makes sense without going full simulation?
But this was already resolved in NFS Heat, you can easily make a succesfull GRIP build which will be very fast on corners without drifting.

But this was already resolved in NFS Heat, you can easily make a succesfull GRIP build which will be very fast on corners without drifting.
Not exactly resolved in Heat yet, drift tune cars is still the fastest around a lap compared to grip tune cars but grip is usable compared to NFS 2015 and Payback which are totally unplayable.

Grip tune cars in Heat generally still don't turn fast enough compared to drift tune cars.

I know it's all personal preference but I really ain't feeling the art direction. It kind of reminds me of that videogame series SSX. I remember LOVING the first 3 games. I couldn't stop playing them, I can't count the hours I spent just chilling in SSX 3 on the mountain. Loved that game! But then SSX On Tour came out and it had the weird art style and it just didn't click with me. The game itself was ok but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as the older ones. I'll probably try the game once it's on a deep discount or something. Hot Pursuit 2 is still king in my book. Nothing from the NFS franchise as come close.

Not exactly resolved in Heat yet, drift tune cars is still the fastest around a lap compared to grip tune cars but grip is usable compared to NFS 2015 and Payback which are totally unplayable.

Grip tune cars in Heat generally still don't turn fast enough compared to drift tune cars.

This exactly. I ran grip builds pretty much exclusively, and drift tunes still seemed to take corners more efficiently, which I have to admit does bug me a bit when I'm not trying to drive like an Initial D character.

This exactly. I ran grip builds pretty much exclusively, and drift tunes still seemed to take corners more efficiently, which I have to admit does bug me a bit when I'm not trying to drive like an Initial D character.
I ran grip tune only when I was going through the story and it is fun to drive too. Once I finish the story and start experimenting with different tunes, drift tune is obviously still faster and felt better than the grip tunes.

I hope Unbound rebalance and improves on it, Heat shows there is a chance to have both driving style to exist in the game but really need a good balance.

Maybe you are right. But I don't take NFS games as competitive games so I tend to use even slower cars/build just for sake of fun. Fortunately GRIP tunes in Heat are playable and fun, if you are not racing online you won't feel it is less balanced.

Maybe you are right. But I don't take NFS games as competitive games so I tend to use even slower cars/build just for sake of fun. Fortunately GRIP tunes in Heat are playable and fun, if you are not racing online you won't feel it is less balanced.
It is usable online too until someone show up in the broken 911 RSR but if you compared both driving style yourself, it is always drift is slightly faster per lap.

Heat was going the right direction, it just needed more tweaks and I hope the Codemaster bunch they added to the team could help improves it too.

Bro NFS is an arcade racer, I don't think anyone comes here for quality realism driving, just wack over the top fun.
I don't think anyone expects realistic handling, just that people want it to be fun and satisfying like the old ones. the Ghost NFS games hadn't been fun except for maybe Heat IMO.

Back