New search engine

• Thread starter BobK
  • 17 comments

BobK

Premium
United States
Massachusetts, USA
I can't figure out how to use the new search feature. It gives me a form to fill out, then when I fillit out and submit it it just gives me another form.

Clicking on the green Show Classic Search Results button gives this:
GTPlanet - Error
Please specify a search query or the name of a member.

It shouldn't work like that. You just enter your query and it will show you the results. I tested now and everything appears to be working as normal.

Can you describe what you are experiencing in more detail? What are you searching for?

It shouldn't work like that. You just enter your query and it will show you the results. I tested now and everything appears to be working as normal.

Can you describe what you are experiencing in more detail? What are you searching for?

My query is no text, search this thread only, posted by member BobK; basically searching for all the posts I've made in a thread. When I click "search" I get this result:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threadloom/search?users=BobK&type[post][thread_id]=395974

As I mentioned, clicking on the green "Show Classic Search Results" box returns an error.

Firefox 80.0.1 on Slackware 14.2 linux.

Hmm. That link shows me the two results in this thread, and other searches with those criteria also work as expected.

Are you using any browser plugins? Have you tried this in other browsers?

Hmm. That link shows me the two results in this thread, and other searches with those criteria also work as expected.

Are you using any browser plugins? Have you tried this in other browsers?

Screenshot_2020-09-15 Search Results.png

I think that's what he is referring too.

Yes, but I was under the impression that he wasn't seeing the results on the search results that are initially displayed.

Yes, it looks like some content is being blocked by a browser plugin.

The Firefox addons I have are:
Adblock Plus
Blur
Cookie Quick Manager
DuckDuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
TrackMeNot

I've had these addons for quite a while now, certainly long before the search stopped working.

The Firefox addons I have are:
Adblock Plus
Blur
Cookie Quick Manager
DuckDuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
TrackMeNot

I've had these addons for quite a while now, certainly long before the search stopped working.

Seems Jordan has only recently switched to using a third party though, Threadloom. It must be blocked by one of those addons.

I just checked something similar to @Sonygamer455.
When I leave the main search box blank and put myself in the 'posted by Member' box, I get this:
upload_2020-9-17_10-47-42.png

When I click on the Show classic search results box, I get the error message. No idea whether that is expected behaviour - is the classic search results meant to aggregate and un-tab the initial results, or jut do a search on a normal text string?

The "show classic results" button won't work if you have a user filter applied until the next site update is in place due to a technical limitation.

You can still bypass Threadloom and use the built-in search tools by clicking on the "More..." button in the search window, which takes you to this link.

Of course, the regular Threadloom results still work fine for me in Firefox and other browsers, which suggests there is a browser plugin that is affecting you. I'm not familiar with all of those you listed, but I would recommend disabling them one-by-one until you determine the culprit, then try to use its white-listing features, if it has them.

The "show classic results" button won't work if you have a user filter applied until the next site update is in place due to a technical limitation.

You can still bypass Threadloom and use the built-in search tools by clicking on the "More..." button in the search window, which takes you to this link.

Of course, the regular Threadloom results still work fine for me in Firefox and other browsers, which suggests there is a browser plugin that is affecting you. I'm not familiar with all of those you listed, but I would recommend disabling them one-by-one until you determine the culprit, then try to use its white-listing features, if it has them.

The addon which is causing the search to fail is DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. The description is:
Privacy, simplified.

Tired of being tracked online? We can help. At DuckDuckGo, we believe online privacy should be simple.

DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials comes packed with best-in-class privacy essentials and makes browsing in Firefox even faster.

Escape Online Tracking — automatically block hidden third-party trackers we can find lurking on websites you visit, which stops the companies behind those trackers from collecting and selling your data.
Search Privately — our private search engine comes built-in so you can search the Internet without being tracked.
Enforce Encryption — force sites to use an encrypted (HTTPS) connection where available, protecting your data from prying eyes, like from unwanted snoopers and Internet service providers.
Decode Privacy — each site you visit gets a Privacy Grade (A-F) so you can see how protected you are at a glance, and you can even dig into the details to see who we caught trying to track you.

Privacy, simplified.

About Us: https://duckduckgo.com/about/
Device Privacy: https://spreadprivacy.com/tag/device-privacy-tips/
Privacy Newsletter: https://duckduckgo.com/newsletter
Privacy Policy: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy/
Open Source: https://github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo-privacy-extension

The addon says it's blocking a tracker on gtplanet.net, cdn.threadloom.com. Just what is cdn.threadloom.com, and how does it enhance the gtplanet.net experience?

It appears that threadloom's tracking is active all the time, not just when searching.

cdn.threadloom.com is the domain which serves the JavaScript that renders the search results on the search results page.

It serves JavaScript on other pages because Threadloom also sends our forum newsletter, and it uses that code to determine which threads featured in the newsletter get clicked on. It uses that data to create reports for me and factors that performance into the algorithm it uses to suggest other threads in future editions of the newsletter.

Back