New Things To Do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rhykus Finlay
  • 30 comments
  • 1,700 views
Messages
246
United States
Alabama
Messages
GTP_RhykusFinlay
I'm not trying to whine here, but for ages now I've been practicing by myself on a track on GT, trying desperately to improve my lap times as much as possible, and it's just been so depressingly lonely to do this day in, day out, with not much in the way of actual results. I keep setting a lap time for myself to beat and it never actually gets close to that time. I mean I improve tons every time, but it's never where I want myself to be! (And not to mention never anywhere NEAR the top tier times that lederboards set-usually around 3-4k there.)

What could I do different? I have a terrible internet connection for online gaming, but I just want so badly to compete with someone, it's driving me nuts!
 
Meh, I can kinda tell what I'm doing wrong most of the time. I've used that and it doesn't help, like I just hit a wall here or something. I've been practicing for years (since I was about five I've actually done this on GT games) so it's not like I haven't given this my all.
 
Get a playstation friend who is faster in the seasonal time trials.
Look at their lap (Blue line)
Watch their replay - see what gears they use, how they cope with understeer/oversteer. How they deal with each corner. A Fresh perspective.

Quite a few threads on the "seasonal events" forum have dialogues with drivers coaxing a bit more from their cars. Maybe just plugging in a Alien setup will give you the confidence to shave your lap times like a 5 bladed razor.

Good luck and focus on the exits. Look as far down the road as you can.
 
terrible internet connection for online gaming
well there's your problem, seriously, I upgraded to a fiber connection specifically for online gaming.

League racing has improved my skills more in 2 months than the previous 8.
 
You sound like me. What's your track of choice? Check the link in my sig for my youtube channel. All I upload are Suzuka lap times with stock cars. I don't stress myself out as much as you about getting that "perfect" time but when I feel that most GT players will have a tough time beating me on their first, second, or third laps, then I'm okay with my time.

I've got over 550 replays (that's 550 different cars) on my channel for you to check out for inspiration if you're so inclined!

Here's an example. I keep all the instrumentation visible because I've got nothing to hide and I want people to get better at the track that I love. Notice the cornering speeds, braking points, and steering inputs.

 
Last edited:
Hmm, I like Suzuka, but I guess my favorite track is Apricot Hill. I'll check it out sometime, thanks.
 
terrible internet connection for online gaming.
As hognhominy said about internet connection well there's your problem, seriously, It is not good have a terrible internet connection you are just going to have problems when you are going online.
 
If you don't like online racing and want something to chase, you can always fill your friends list up with GT6 players and then chase their blue lines in seasonals. Try to beat every one on your friends list should be a challenge if they are good drivers.
 
I'm like you buddy. Haven't played GT6 in weeks but only recently turned on my PS3 to play it for a bit, UNTIL @vr6cas and his instigator came in to ruin my fun... :grumpy: I did paint my cars to make them look all colourful, but got bored of that too. Really I think the Course Maker is the only one left that can give you something to do in GT6.
 
For road cars, start doing laps using comfort hard tires. Once lap times are consistent, change to comfort medium or soft. Then try sports hard.

For race cars, start with sports hard, then medium etc.
 
I'm not trying to whine here, but for ages now I've been practicing by myself on a track on GT, trying desperately to improve my lap times as much as possible, and it's just been so depressingly lonely to do this day in, day out, with not much in the way of actual results. I keep setting a lap time for myself to beat and it never actually gets close to that time. I mean I improve tons every time, but it's never where I want myself to be! (And not to mention never anywhere NEAR the top tier times that lederboards set-usually around 3-4k there.)

What could I do different? I have a terrible internet connection for online gaming, but I just want so badly to compete with someone, it's driving me nuts!
GT is very much a solitary game and I don't think you are missing much online unless you are into drag racing, cruising, drifting, aimless driving, smash up derby or racing on RS tires. Offline AI is about as much fun as kissing your sister. Without leaderboards for multiple track/car combinations there isn't much to aim for either. It's pretty much a solo driving/hot lapping game at this point. Let's hope this is remedied in GT7.
 
GT is very much a solitary game and I don't think you are missing much online unless you are into drag racing, cruising, drifting, aimless driving, smash up derby or racing on RS tires. Offline AI is about as much fun as kissing your sister. Without leaderboards for multiple track/car combinations there isn't much to aim for either. It's pretty much a solo driving/hot lapping game at this point. Let's hope this is remedied in GT7.

Not true, there are quite a lot of good racing clubs and leagues to join. If you don't like joining random lobbies it's really easy to find something good by just browsing through the online racing forum here at gtplanet.
 
I'm like you buddy. Haven't played GT6 in weeks but only recently turned on my PS3 to play it for a bit, UNTIL @vr6cas and his instigator came in to ruin my fun... :grumpy: I did paint my cars to make them look all colourful, but got bored of that too. Really I think the Course Maker is the only one left that can give you something to do in GT6.
Really Toko, now you want to get on here lying, I only seen you on the game ONE time! ONCE! You don't even play the game! And what instigator? What are you talking about? You troll GTPlanet about a game you don't like and a game you don't play now you want to lie about something I didn't do. Get a life dude!
 
Not true, there are quite a lot of good racing clubs and leagues to join. If you don't like joining random lobbies it's really easy to find something good by just browsing through the online racing forum here at gtplanet.
That's if you're able to commit to a schedule. Not everyone can, therefore the only option is searching the random lobbies in hopes of finding a good one.
 
That's if you're able to commit to a schedule. Not everyone can, therefore the only option is searching the random lobbies in hopes of finding a good one.

Build up a good list of racers on your friends list and you should be able to find good races anytime.
 
That's if you're able to commit to a schedule. Not everyone can, therefore the only option is searching the random lobbies in hopes of finding a good one.

Even if you live such a busy and chatoic life that you don't know what's going to happen the next week, you can still search for good, active players and add them to your friends list, so that the next time you happen to find that precious play time you can just search for their lobbies. Put a little of effort into it and you'll be rewarded.
 
Offline AI is about as much fun as kissing your sister.

image.jpg
 
I'd love to join lobbies and everything, it looks like fun. But I AM 16, and don't have much say-so in what internet connection I have. So I have to do something else. Although I can still race online, just too much lag to get near anyone else. So I have to think outside the box.

What about a competition where the driver with fastest lap times wins? Sort of like F1 or NASCAR qualifying?
 
I'd love to join lobbies and everything, it looks like fun. But I AM 16, and don't have much say-so in what internet connection I have. So I have to do something else. Although I can still race online, just too much lag to get near anyone else. So I have to think outside the box.

What about a competition where the driver with fastest lap times wins? Sort of like F1 or NASCAR qualifying?
If that's the case, try @subsist 's suggestion, and run the seasonals, download replays, either top ranked or from friends list, and study where they are faster, and what line/techniques they use.

Try watching some of the seasonal guides that @Tidgney makes, there is great info out there, but you have to find it.

Don't be afraid to use real motorsport guides for tips, there are breakdowns for almost every real track.

One more thing, have you tried optimizing the connection you have? There are several ways to pick up connection speed and reduce lag using better network settings.
 
I'd suggest investing in Grid Autosport if you want really good, competitive, offline racing and the feel of a true career and keep GT as your solo driving simulator. The graphics aren't as good in GAS, the car selection is more limited, but the racing is outstanding, perhaps the best AI on the PS3. That way you get the best of both worlds.
 
I'd love to join lobbies and everything, it looks like fun. But I AM 16, and don't have much say-so in what internet connection I have. So I have to do something else. Although I can still race online, just too much lag to get near anyone else. So I have to think outside the box.

What about a competition where the driver with fastest lap times wins? Sort of like F1 or NASCAR qualifying?

Try joining the WRS when the registrations open again, there's a new time trial every week with different combinations of car, track, and tyre compound. It's a good way to get faster, and all you need is the ability to upload replay files, so it shouldn't matter what sort of Internet connection you have. Just needs a USB stick and a computer.
 
New things to do? Get a proper internet connection. You wont regret it, and not only for GT6
 
New things to do? Get a proper internet connection. You wont regret it, and not only for GT6
He's already said he's 16 and has no control over the quality of his connection.
 
What I do when I'm getting bored is give myself a challenge.

One of my favorites is to pick a fast car like and STI or 430 or something and then buy a slower, cheaper car and try to make that car faster than the more expensive car while still spending less than the more expensive car.

Or, pick a class of cars and tune them to the same PP or spec and then see which one is fastest.
 
He's already said he's 16 and has no control over the quality of his connection.
He should try to convince his parents to get a proper connection, there's plenty of good reasons (obviously he should not say GAMING). Also an average DSL connection of about 10 Mbps (good enough for GT6) is cheap for sure
 
Internet is probably the most important.
Go get yourself your favorite car. Leave it stock and try to beat the lap times at Nurburgring.
That's what I do.
Link.
http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/

You can watch on board videos and learn the track also.
Maybe try SS tires to start out then decrease tires to SH.
 
Hehe I don't need SS tires. ;)

I'll try that out, seems interesting.
 
He should try to convince his parents to get a proper connection, there's plenty of good reasons (obviously he should not say GAMING). Also an average DSL connection of about 10 Mbps (good enough for GT6) is cheap for sure
So you're advocating a 16 year old withold thereal reason he wants a better connection from his parents? Great advice.
Cheap is relative. A 10mbps connection will cost $40-50/month here. Chump change for some people, an unnecessary luxury for others.
 
So you're advocating a 16 year old withold thereal reason he wants a better connection from his parents? Great advice.
Cheap is relative. A 10mbps connection will cost $40-50/month here. Chump change for some people, an unnecessary luxury for others.
LOL
In spain its more expensive than that and people earn way less. Its very cheap in the USA, we wish we had it so cheap.
Also I think its a must nowadays (an at least average 10mbps connection)
 
Back