New Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Peugeot 108

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robin
  • 57 comments
  • 15,601 views

Robin

Premium
Messages
16,811
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Citroen-C1-1_2832377b.jpg

Citroen-C1-3_2832380c.jpg

image.jpg


image.jpg

Citroen-C1-2_2832379c.jpg

The Telegraph
The all-new Citroen C1 has its world premiere at the Geneva motor show on March 4, ahead of going on sale this summer.

It is mechanically similar to the new Peugeot 108 and Toyota Aygo - all three are appearing at Geneva and go on sale at various times over the summer - although Citroen stresses that the latest C1 reflects the brand's renewal through an emphasis on design, comfort, technology and efficiency.

The C1 is available as a three- or five-door hatchback with a conventional metal roof or, in the case of the Airscape version, a rollback fabric roof.

As with its many rivals, there are many possibilities to personalise the car, from two-tone paintwork and bright interior trim to graphics and colour co-ordinated mirror housings. The fabric roof is offered in red, black or grey.

The dashboard features bright colours on the multimedia panel, air vent trim and gear lever base. The door panels also include body-coloured inserts. Options include keyless entry and start, as well as a reversing camera and hill-start assist

It’s 3.46m long and 1.62m wide, with minimal overhangs front and rear, and weighs from only 840kg. Power comes from three-cylinder petrol engines developing 68bhp or 82bhp, with CO2 outputs from 88 to 99g/km. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, as is electric power steering.

The controls include a 7in touchscreen with full connectivity for smartphones, the apps of which can be controlled from the touchscreen. It also controls the car’s audio system, trip computer and various vehicle settings.

The boot area is 196 litres (180 litres with a spare wheel). The load area increases to 750 litres by folding the 50/50 rear seat backrests.

The previous C1, which was built alongside the Peugot 107 and Toyota Aygo, sold more than 760,000 examples worldwide since its launch in 2005.

The previous generation were good starter cars but didn't look all that appealing but this at least looks much more refined. I see they are all going on the Fiat 500 trend and pretty much all the hot hatches now can be customised to look like sport shoes. Will be interesting to see what the 108 and Aygo look like.

Soon the whole of Europe will be filled with life sized Hotwheel's cars!
 
This looks like a fun little car. I like the way these tiny cars are looking right now.
 
Maybe it's just me but I find this quite unpleasant to behold.

EDIT: That 108 isn't so bad though to be honest - proportions still feel way off but it's still more visually appealing
 
Not hard to give the replacements a more refined look than the current B-Zero crop. That new C1 looks like a slightly chunkier Micra, though I'm not a fan of the round headlights overlapping the light strips above. The 108 has a classier front end, yet I'm still not sure about that new family grill. Especially on such a small car.

That said, I'm glad the design differences between the C1 and 108 will be greater with this new range. While Toyota will probably plump for a more aggressive front end like the rest of their range.
 
Looking forward to driving them. I quite like the current models still and they have a fun, lightweight feel about them, but they also feel like toy cars next to the VAG Up/Mii/Citigo trio and even stuff like the Kia Picanto.
 
The 108 looks alright but the face of the C1 makes me want to be sick.
 
I absolutely love the way Citroen is going with it's styling at the minute, although the Peugeot looks good, too. The Aygo would be the one I'd buy though, regardless of the way it looks. Because Toyota.
 
I'm not keen on the Citroen's front, it's as if it can't decide what style of light cluster it wants, i do like the back lights though, like the DS's rear lights, it's my favourite part of Citroen's design language ATM.
 
The 108 has a classier front end, yet I'm still not sure about that new family grill. Especially on such a small car.

I agree, the current Peugeot grille doesn't look right being that small. It makes the 108 front end look like a truck!

The C1 front reminds me of the proposed Nissan London Taxi :lol:

nissan-london-taxi.jpg


All the headlights Citroen are doing at the moment are screaming for the main beam bits to be removed and then they would look awesome.
 
I absolutely love the way Citroen is going with it's styling at the minute, although the Peugeot looks good, too. The Aygo would be the one I'd buy though, regardless of the way it looks. Because Toyota.
Aren't they all build in the same factory with the same Toyota engine? I'm not sure about this new generation though.

I'm not sure about the looks of the 108, but I think the C1 looks brilliant. Can't wait to see the Toyota.
 
Aren't they all build in the same factory with the same Toyota engine?

They are, yes. Hence why I'd buy the Toyota.
 
Toyota Aygo
New-Toyota-Aygo-1%25255B3%25255D.jpg

I was expecting something aggressive, but I didn't think they'd go for some kind of KISS tribute as well. :lol:

Get rid of the black war paint and it would look the best of the three I think. Or just have one in black with the silver cross instead. It looks so much smarter with the colours reversed.

Also interesting to see that Citroen and Peugeot have gone for rear-end designs more akin to the old Aygo, while the new Aygo looks like a modern update of the old C1 or 107. They all look pretty good on the new lineup.
 
Lose the weird cross and I like the Toyota, I'd personally go for the Peugeot if I had to pick one of them however - the Toyota feels.. forced..? if that makes any sense
 
I really like it in black, but it looks a bit weird in white with that huge black cross across the front end.
 
I like the Aygo as well. Pretty cool looking indeed.
 
Toyota looks much better in the metal than the other two. The Pug and Citroen are surprisingly nondescript, but the Toyota really stands out. They've got some cracking colour options too - Toyota appears to be going for "sporty" so there's bright oranges and blues available, whereas Peugeot in particular is pushing a more luxurious angle so it's all dark metallics. The Pug I sat in today at the show had leather seats too and looked quite nifty inside.
 
I'm suprised at how drastically different the Aygo looks compared to the rest, it looks like a 100% different car with no relation to the other two whatsoever unlike the original. Its a nice design, all sharp like a baby LFA!
 
I just noticed that the rear window will not roll down, it looks like it will just pop out. :odd:Why?
IMG_20140304_212949.jpg
 
I just noticed that the rear window will not roll down, it looks like it will just pop out. :odd:Why?

I believe its to do with keeping costs down as these are meant to be the bottom of the range. Or it's possible they are just pre production models.
 
Last edited:
I just noticed that the rear window will not roll down, it looks like it will just pop out. :odd:Why?
View attachment 123720

Either to avoid the old issue of only having the window wind down halfway (due to the shape of the rear door) or to cut costs. The 3 door versions will probably have pop-out windows anyway, it makes sense to keep the same windows for the 5 door to save on costs.
 
Back