New TT isle of man 3 game in development, out in may 2023, by Rims Racing devs.

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 58 comments
Man every time I see topics like this I can't help but wish Tourist Trophy had been folded into Gran Turismo proper and I wish we had the Isle of Man circuit in the game too. :grumpy:
Agreed. The fact they even experimented with early builds of GTHD having bikes in it. So much effort went in to Tourist Trophy and it was all for nothing.

The world is missing a really good bike game right now, Ride 4 is a decent game but it has too many flaws to be considered great, the Isle of Man games have been below par, MotoGP series', like the sport, has gone massively downhill and RIMS was awful in almost every way. Ride 5 will be much the same, can't see them doing anything differently.

A new Tourist Trophy or a Forza spin off with motorbikes, something to drive the genre forward, is desperately needed. Good bike games sell well.

I enjoyed the first two IoMTT but always enjoyed the buffet of bikes in Ride. When will they put motorcycles in Forza……………….

Racing Fan Edition content
- Base Game

- John McGuinness 100th Start Special Livery (Bonus Pre Order)

- "48h d'early unlock"

- Career Boost

- 2023 TT races content update
Racing Fan Edition on Steam includes RiMS Racing Full game too.

Last edited:
Review at traxion is up..
Too bad for all the disappointing aspects, but since the feel and on board sounds seem great, plus the main track, then it's a must experience for me, i love the helmet pov riding in iom2 and rims.

I’ve pre-ordered it. I enjoyed the first one especially and I love the TT, plus there are still a few weeks till MotoGP 23 and F1 23 arrive, and not much else on the horizon. Why not. Doubt I’ll stay up till midnight to play it though, I’d rather sleep I think.

I think the game came out today, right? Anyone here willing to share impressions? I'd give a shot myself but I'm a little hesistant about pulling the trigger

I’ve spent an hour or so on it. The good - it feels like a completely new, ground up game compared to the first two. Different engine, different feel. The bikes are a lot more forgiving I think, at least on the level I played it. The brakes are stronger, it’s easier to correct mistakes and about ten times easier to do a lap without crashing. It captures the atmosphere of the TT well right down to having to twiddle your fingers and wait while all the bikes ahead of you set off from the start gate, as you shuffle slowly forward. The open world map is quite good, it feels pretty big. The bad - a few frame rate issues, and somehow it seems to lack a bit of character compared with the last game, I liked the quirks in the physics model, the way the handling was so punishing, the feeling of speed, the feeling of freedom over the bike somehow (it reminded me of the THQ MotoGP games on that) and this one feels a bit more polished but a bit less characterful. That feeling the first two games gave you of being in an absolute flat out knife edge flashing through the trees, just not getting that yet.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the first game but never really gave the second much of a try but with the imminent release of 3 I took 2 out for a spin several times in the past week and real enjoyed it... well once I got a handle on using a pad again as I'm pants on those lol

The sense of speed had always been the thing I've loved about TTIOM it's a real rush and gives a great sense of excitement. I'm not really too bothered about graphics, it looks fine to me and as someone else pointed out great graphics and poor gameplay is to often the end result for games these days.

I'm going to continue with 2 for a while and check out the reviews and player comments on the new game but I suspect I will pick it up in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the second game - although the physics could have been better. But I really liked the older classical bikes as well as the new fantasy tracks set in Ireland. Together with the UK fantasy tracks (plus the TT track of course) this provided you with a lot of content. But the latest version has cut out the UK and Irish tracks as well as the classical bike selection, so that's one big step backwards, and I don't know if I'll bother with it.

Yes losing those extra tracks seems like a bad idea. Of course they have added the open world part but being as you can only ride that on your own it might not hold much interest for those that are already experienced virtual bikers. For me I will use it for training purposes as I try to get better at using a pad again.

I wasn’t a fan of the fantasy tracks or open world of the second game. It felt like all the effort had been spent making the TT course look spectacular and the other circuits were an afterthought. The TT felt fast, everything else felt mundane. Well maybe “mundane” is too harsh, the roads just didn’t feel like actual roads to me.

From the couple of hours I’ve spent in the new game so far I don’t regret buying it. (I’d have put a bit more time in yesterday but if the BBC streams the North West 200 it has to be watched, got to get the value for the TV licence somehow.) I haven’t done much more than mess around on the open world map but so far, so good. The roads are quite limited in number but it’s nice just cruising around the TT course without a timer in the corner.

It’s a real shame we’re limited to just modern superbike and supersport machines. I’d hoped for more classic machines to be added, not for them to be removed entirely. My main criticism of the last game was the absence of superstock and supertwin machines and that’s still a glaring omission here. One, giving the people the option of a lower powered supertwin would probably see more players able to get round a lap without crashing, and two, a TT with races for four solo classes would feel like more of an event.

I hate to say it but at first glance this feels more like an EA FIFA/Madden/NHL annual update more than anything else. I pre-ordered it and I will get my money’s worth, but it would be nice to have seen a greater leap forward over the last game.

After playing it a bit longer I like it, but I preferred the first two. For the TT, anyway.
I maintain that I've never had quite the sustained adrenalin rush (rather than a simple endorphin hit), from any game ever, as I got from blasting down the Sulby straight at 206mph in the first game... and no doubt part of that was the twitchy physics, but a decent representation of IoM and a few improvements here and there will get me to by this again.
this is the post that I keep coming back to because I think it sums up what was special about the first two games perfectly. They were pretty flawed pieces of software, but the recreation of the Snaefell Mountain Course and the feeling you got flashing in between hedges and under tree branches at 200mph down a narrow, bumpy strip of tarmac knowing that there was a huge danger that the next corner would see you crash, it felt dangerous, stressful and properly thrilling. The way the bike was so skittish, the physics so wonky, just added to the constant feeling of jeopardy. And the sense of speed was incredible.

This is objectively a better game, but it just feels a bit like a MotoGP game set on the Isle of Man, somehow?

Okay, so I decided to buy this.. basically it was cheaper than I expected.

I'm not a fan of the new menus, I basically just want to lap the full circuit against the clock on my own... looks like I might have to do some other things first... anyone know what they are specifically?

Okay, so I decided to buy this.. basically it was cheaper than I expected.

I'm not a fan of the new menus, I basically just want to lap the full circuit against the clock on my own... looks like I might have to do some other things first... anyone know what they are specifically?
There's an option on the main menu to create a custom event so you can set up a race with no AI riders there. I can't remember if you have to unlock this option, if so it's north-east of Douglas, go to the icon that looks like a pencil on top of a chequered flag shown below:
2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6
There's an option on the main menu to create a custom event so you can set up a race with no AI riders there. I can't remember if you have to unlock this option, if so it's north-east of Douglas, go to the icon that looks like a pencil on top of a chequered flag shown below:

Ah, okay. I get the impression the Time Attack events are unlocked as you explore more of the track from the menu, as there's a few on my main screen, but not one for the whole circuit. I'll give the event creator a go.

As for the rest of the game. I much prefer the additional circuits they've made around the Isle, versus the other tracks in the first game. I'm not sure if the physics are better or not. The Superbikes just don't seem to corner very responsively, but I'm still playing with the assists, turning them all off definitely makes the bike feel a bit more responsive. Either way, it's great fun to just go for a free roam blast around the isle.

Some of the environments seem a bit sterile, the isle doesn't look 'lived in' to me, but the graphics are generally pretty good. The lighting in the wet races is far more 'real' than the clear day lighting, but for me (PS5) suffers horrendous frame rate drops really badly in wet conditions... which is far from ideal when there's no margin for error.

Personally, the frame rate issues, the draw-in, the sterile feel, it's all sent me back to the second, Kylotonn developed game, and it's given me a new appreciation of it. I just think its better. Rock solid, smooth frame rate, less sterile feel, more tracks, better sense of speed and danger.

There was another patch on june 1st it seems, and the ps4/5 is at patch 4, while xs at patch 2, so there's an uneven patching between platforms.

Bottom line (A) is that I like the game. I don't think it's a $50 game (USD) due to lack of polish, etc. But for $25 to $35 (PS5 physical version) I'm alright with it due to the experience of riding the real life island including real backroads.

Personally, I really like the physics in this game. Not as sim as Ride 4 or Moto GP 23, but more fun for me. Not too twitchy either. Plus all the standard options are there to tweak the physics (and the AI) to your personal skill level.

I agree with others who said they should not have removed content (Ireland and United Kingdom tracks, classic bikes). Plus the open world in TT IOM 2 had that cool airport area that would have been nice to have as an option.

Actually in terms of content, if you put the content from RIMS together with this game, then you have a "complete" game in terms of content.

Bottom line (B) is that the game took a 1/2 step backwards from TT IOM 2, but if you love the sport and the island get this game when it drops to around $30 or less.

Pros:
  • Just fun, good sense of speed
  • Physics continue to improve (IMO)
  • Island Beautifully recreated, including the backroads
  • You can run 2 careers at once
  • Lots of options for custom racing (both offline and online)
  • "Free roam" allows you to take on the island at your own pace
  • The journal provides a great history lesson on the race, the island and the riders
  • There's a photo mode and replays

Cons:
  • Last Gen Graphics
  • Graphics and Colors actually better on TT IOM 2
  • Atmosphere actually better on TT IOM 2
  • Weather actually better on TT IOM 2
  • More content (tracks, bikes, modes) in TT IOM 2
  • Career mode kinda confusing at first, lackluster when you realize how it actually works
  • Sounds are just ok...bike sounds, crowds, soundtrack are all just ok.

I think that’s a good summary. It’s a decent game, a 7.5/10 racer, with good features - but the problem is that it’s just a sideways step from the previous game - a slightly different take on the TT with some things that are better than 2 and some things that are worse. They’re like two slightly different shades of the same colour and it makes you think, what was the point?

I know, I know, you could say similar about all the yearly updates from Milestone etc - but there’s something more logical about a slightly polished/tweaked yearly update with new liveries etc that’s basically the same game with a bit of extra polish or an added feature - this is like a ground up rebuild that’s ended up basically the same thing and ticking all the same boxes but feels slightly different. It’s odd.

Decided to pick this up while it was on sale on the Xbox Series X but have to say I'm disappointed in it. They must have been showing PC footage for any previews because it really doesn't look that great. It all feels a bit amateurish really. Screen tearing on the Series X really shouldn't be happening and there is an odd thing with distant reflections on the road when it's raining that is off-putting.

I do like the handling and it's nice that they have gone for an open world feel, but it still feels like it should have more tracks.

Then there are odd design choices, like being able to watch replays, but while doing so, it doesn't give you access to the photo mode! So there is no way to capture any footage while racing against the other bikes. I wish I had waited until the possibility of it appearing on Gamepass. The devs have said they used the Kylotonn graphics engine, which is an odd choice when there are so many better options out there which would have made it look a whole lot better.

Back