New wheel and wheel mods....

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 33 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ian Bick
Happy new year to all here!

Further to the recent thread "Getting quicker"...

I am progressing at a truly delightful rate now. The Lewis Hamilton challenges have improved my driving massively. So much so that I have decided to purchase a wheel (Hurrah I hear you all yelling) :-)

My problem is thus...

There are so many to choose from and there appears to be some modifications that you can do to enhance the experience.
If anyone would be kind enough to jump in and offer some advice I would be eternally grateful.

I am looking at a budget of around 300 - 400 £ (UK) probably more for just the right piece of kit.

Thanks as always in advance and best regards to all here.

Ian.

When I bought my wheel in 2009 for GT5P, it was definitely one of the best purchase ever in my gaming life. It takes a lot of work transitioning at first, and you'll be several seconds slower so don't be discouraged. Keep at it and eventually you'll be faster, more consistent and have infinitely more fun than on a controller!

The Logitech G29 or a used G25/27 with Drivehub adaptor would be perfect if you're just starting out. I used a G25 for 9 years until I upgraded to T-GT, and even then there are still some aspects of the G25 that I like better than the more expensive wheel (in fact I'm still using the G25 pedals with a Ricmotech adaptor because they are better than the stock T-GT pedals). The difference between gear and belt drive is not as big as the difference between controller and wheel. The next step is direct drive but that's way beyond my budget atm.

In terms of pedals, load cells will improve your braking performance massively (especially when driving without ABS). But for GTS, it probably wouldn't matter so much because of the simplified ABS simulation in this game.

Shifter - this is personal preference. H shifter and sequential can be more fun, but paddles will always be more convenient at the end. The gear shift delay with road cars in GTS can make H shifter quicker, but this makes the driving a lot harder as well.

One final piece of advice, don't fall into the trap of more expensive = better. I can tell you the fastest drivers will still be at the top even if they use a crappy DFGT. Buy more expensive gear with the expectation of getting more immersion, and rewarding yourself because it's your hobby, not for hunting those last few tenths.

Last edited:
I've got a G29 here, which I'm very fond of as it was my first FFB wheel but I like to do a bit of over driving now and then and that highlights how hard the motor and gears have to work. Great for normal driving though as it forces you to keep things smooth to keep the feedback coming. It's biggest drawback was 3 torque not being quite heavy enough and clipping kicking in at 4. If only we could set decimal points... It's also a bit agricultural with how it works. A bit clunky.

The other good side to the G29 is modding them. Everything from springs to wheels and even up to load cells but it's all home made stuff. I've lost count how many times mine's been apart...

Flipped a coin on Thrustmaster quality last Autumn and risked £250 on a barely used T300RS GT. I couldn't believe the difference a belt and stronger motor made to the feedback. So much smoother and barely any clunks from the gears. The T3PA pedals are no better than the G29's (I had a GTEye spring in) but they do the job well enough. My biggest snag was just with the pedals and mounting them on a Playseat Evolution. To get around the center post, the only way to reach the brake was to mount them low...which meant I had to buy seat sliders to be able to fit in my own damned rig.:crazy:

The dream is to own a direct drive but after finding out I'm the same speed on both my wheels, I'd only buy one if I could easily afford one. A bit of an indulgence for my console racing.

The one sure fire way...*looks around to see if Groundfish is watching* to improve on a rig is with a load cell. Any edge you can get in braking is worth it so it's next on my list. Probably the main reason I took a punt on Thrustmaster was for a cheaper way into load cells.

If you know you love racing games sims, do it right csl elite ps4 lc brake.
Set up close to a big tv.
I agree with everything else said also tho.
Just depends on budget.
I made my setup and bought the csl used.
I was lucky with having access to this wood, and bought the pipes and spray paint. I got the awesome swivel chair at Salvation Army. Love swivel, easy in n out.
89975028-F697-43A8-AB77-88F69E531BC8.jpeg

Yeah I spent on tv but was due this year after having the last one 12 years...
I went t80 (new) t300 (new then sold) csl elite ps4. (Fabulous quality, another league).
I agree best gaming thing I ever did was getting a wheel. All wheels are super immersive and fun imo
I draw the line at shifter and handbrake tho. This is far as I’ll ever go. Paddles are so fun anyways.

I’ve kept things under budget.
My rig slides outta the way in a couple seconds for movies...
I’d say rigging wise priorities are pedals. Load cell is like cheating imo.

Last edited:
I bought the T300RS with the Alcantara Ferrari edition a month ago and very happy with it so far. I even like the T3PA pedals that came with it and that many people complain about. Went directly from controller so I don't have anything to compare. Very soon managed to get similar times to the controller and the feeling you get is much more realistic and fun.

Spent 390€ on the wheel+pedals and 15€ on several wood planks that I used to build a stand for the pedals. Racing on my old normal chair, table and monitor, feels quite good. I think the next investment would be a bigger monitor and after that a racing seat.

You might consider also buying a second hand racing seat with the wheel and pedals, many people sell those together, at least in my city. I found some good ones for the price of the wheel and pedals, just after I had bought the wheel and was looking at racing seats.

Hi,

After much googling, chin scratching, wifey annoying and thinking... This is what I have come up with. Bear in mind I work in engineering so we can pretty much make anything in steel, carbon fibre and fibreglass....

A T300RS wheel + T3PA pedal set.

A Fibreglass seat inside a bespoke frame with slotted holes for infinite adjustment.

While I realise its not going to make me an "Alien" it should be pretty good right?

Best regards.

Ian.

Hi,

After much googling, chin scratching, wifey annoying and thinking... This is what I have come up with. Bear in mind I work in engineering so we can pretty much make anything in steel, carbon fibre and fibreglass....

A Fibreglass seat inside a bespoke frame with slotted holes for infinite adjustment.

While I realise its not going to make me an "Alien" it should be pretty good right?

Best regards.

Ian.
Sounds great! I'd reccomend the T-LCM pedals if you have more budget, and the 599XX EVO Alcantara Wheel rim.
Of course, you can try the T300 Ferrari Alcantara Integral, which comes with a T300 base, Alcantara rim, and T3PAs. If not, the T300GT Edition is cheaper and has the benefits of the same pedals as the Integral, but only the standard wheel rim.

Last edited:

Get the GT edition like AfraidRacer said. I think the only difference is the pedal plates themselves.

Alcantara

I love the look of the Alcantara stuff but you have to wear gloves to keep it in good condition don't you? It looks (and probably feels:yuck:) nasty after it's worn off so if you have to wear gloves, what's the point of buying a wheel wrapped in a soft tactile material? For looks?

Wearing gloves felt like I had 3 condoms on so they're not for me.

Get the GT edition like AfraidRacer said. I think the only difference is the pedal plates themselves.

I love the look of the Alcantara stuff but you have to wear gloves to keep it in good condition don't you? It looks (and probably feels:yuck:) nasty after it's worn off so if you have to wear gloves, what's the point of buying a wheel wrapped in a soft tactile material? For looks?

Wearing gloves felt like I had 3 condoms on so they're not for me.
Honestly, mines been pretty good since 6 months since my palms don’t sweat. I’ve heard you can get it cleaned or something too, I’m not too sure.

From the pictures I've seen from non glove wearers, all the surface fibers wear off leaving a slick dark surface underneath. No idea how much use it takes to reach that stage though.

From the pictures I've seen from non glove wearers, all the surface fibers wear off leaving a slick dark surface underneath. No idea how much use it takes to reach that stage though.
I’ve used mine pretty much daily for the last 6 months, and mine has grown lighter in colour and slightly harder to touch around the areas where I put my hands, especially on the right thumb.
I agree that Alcantara can be quite difficult to take care of though, so @Ian JB unless you feel like you can take care of it, I would also recommend the T300GT. Do consider a formula wheel rim if you use exclusively race cars, @Pigems can tell you more.

I have been upgraded!!!

Having made dinner and washed up for a month - The wifey / Finance director has agreed with me and issued a purchase order for a CSL Elite wheel and pedals ( Hurrah I hear you all shout! )

2 quick questions please before she changes her mind...

Load cell upgrade kit? Do I really need one?
Updating the CSL kits software / firm ware? Is that windows only or will it run through Mac?

Ohhh boy am I excited now???

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

You could go no load cell but eventually you’ll want one.
The stock pedals are very very nice tho
I’d say get it.
You only live once!
I’ve never upgraded fw etc.
Plug and play! Don’t overthink it.

Last edited:
Just replaced my old G29 with a G923 (£299) - much nicer to use, particularly the brake. I'd had to remove the rubber piece from the brake on the G29, as I didn't have the strength in my leg to brake with the rubber in it!

Been running Race C Gr 2 at DTS all week, and couldn't improve my QT - however, second lap with the G923 was 0.5 seconds faster than the G29 time......

I have been upgraded!!!

Having made dinner and washed up for a month - The wifey / Finance director has agreed with me and issued a purchase order for a CSL Elite wheel and pedals ( Hurrah I hear you all shout! )

2 quick questions please before she changes her mind...

Load cell upgrade kit? Do I really need one?
Updating the CSL kits software / firm ware? Is that windows only or will it run through Mac?

Ohhh boy am I excited now???

Ian.
Ian I would highly recommend you to look at the Clubsport V3 pedals, because they will go very nice with you CSL wheel and that what I have done.
430.PNG

Hi,

Bummer!

My wheel and pedals are stuck in customs. UPS now tell me I must pay an extra £105:00 for import tax and duty and admin'

Robbing **************'s!!!!!

:-(

Ian.

If you know you love racing games sims, do it right csl elite ps4 lc brake.
Set up close to a big tv.
I agree with everything else said also tho.
Just depends on budget.
I made my setup and bought the csl used.
I was lucky with having access to this wood, and bought the pipes and spray paint. I got the awesome swivel chair at Salvation Army. Love swivel, easy in n out.
View attachment 982329

Yeah I spent on tv but was due this year after having the last one 12 years...
I went t80 (new) t300 (new then sold) csl elite ps4. (Fabulous quality, another league).
I agree best gaming thing I ever did was getting a wheel. All wheels are super immersive and fun imo
I draw the line at shifter and handbrake tho. This is far as I’ll ever go. Paddles are so fun anyways.

I’ve kept things under budget.
My rig slides outta the way in a couple seconds for movies...
I’d say rigging wise priorities are pedals. Load cell is like cheating imo.

Old post, but what size tv are you using?

I would also have to recommend the CSL Elite, it is a very good wheel and one you maybe don't want to replace after a few years.
I've had the Logitech Formula GP, Logitech Momo and then the Logitech G25 which I modded the crap out of, until I replaced it with CSW2.5. That is because I've used wheels for more than 15 years and I knew that if I'd replace my G25, it would have to be something really good.
In your case, for your first wheel, get the CSL Elite and you will be happy for many years to come.

EDIT: I now saw that you did order the CSL, congratulations!

Last edited:
Last edited:
They don't wear off, they get flattened and can be cleaned to restore them.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/how-to-restore-alcantara-rims.386644/#post-12697633

How often do you need to do it? My hands aren't bad when I'm plodding along but it's like a tap's been switched on in closer races.

I've been looking into gloves again the last couple of days as I really want to switch wheels. F33l SR2's (Jimmy B's gloves) and Sparco's Hypergrip's topping the list so far but I'm open to suggestions if anyone's got one.

How often do you need to do it? My hands aren't bad when I'm plodding along but it's like a tap's been switched on in closer races.

I've been looking into gloves again the last couple of days as I really want to switch wheels. F33l SR2's (Jimmy B's gloves) and Sparco's Hypergrip's topping the list so far but I'm open to suggestions if anyone's got one.
I clean mine every 3 or so months, and that’s with 2 to 3 hours a day in average driving.

Hi,

Its arrived. Its set up. Its inside my rig. Its going to take some time to get used to it.

I have managed to crush my testicles on the front of the seat.
I have struggled like mad to get in and out of the thing.
I have driven the wife crazy with all the messing around, packaging, not making dinner, not walking the dogs, and constant " Oh Blimey I love this "

Very very happy bunny here.

Best regards.

Ian.

Just picked up one of those magnetic shifter kits from eBay for the G29, just installed it and it feels insanely good. Never gonna miss a shift again.

There's no going back now. Imagine the pots and chores your missus will have you doing if you don't stick with it...:D

Lesson learned?:lol:

Enjoy your wheel, mate.:cheers:

Lessons learned indeed!!! Seat modified. No crushed doodahs! Steering wheel set 75mm further away from me. Pedals raised and angled. Awesome!

I am already between 0.5 and 1.5 seconds quicker on selected "test" tracks, that I had set times on just before the conversion to a wheel.

There is one issue I have and I suspect its me rather than the wheel or the game physics....

I have found it utterly impossible to correct or "catch" a spin out. Is there a knack to this please?

Thoroughly thoroughly delighted with it all so far.

Best regards.

Ian.

I have found it utterly impossible to correct or "catch" a spin out. Is there a knack to this please?

It's just muscle memory really. The more you have of it, the quicker you can react with your inputs to avoid spinning.

Keep putting the laps in and the spins will happen a lot less often.👍

Latest Posts

Back