New World of Outlaws Title from iRacing & Monster Games

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 23 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
World of Outlaws is coming back to console, developed by Monster Games and using help from an assets developed from iRacing, due Fall/Autumn 2022.

"The World of Outlaws will make its long-awaited return to PlayStation and Xbox in the fall of 2022 thanks to a partnership between the series, iRacing, and its studio Monster Games, the parties announced today. The game will be iRacing’s first official step into the world of console gaming after acquiring the Monster Games and Orontes Games studios in the winter of 2021 to expand its product offerings beyond its core PC simulation product."

I have fond memories of the PS2 World of Outlaws title, having picked up a copy a couple of years ago.

IMG_20220407_145353.jpg

Not going to lie, am both very excited and very apprehensive about this one. I love the sprinters, and Motorsport historically hasn't done badly with them in previous titles, they could have been better but could have been a whole lot worse and were fun to drive just the same. I will definitely be waiting and seeing on this one, but I will be paying attention.

And why would anyone in their right mind be excited about a game like this?

Because Outlaws are insane, that's why.

Last edited:
World of Outlaws is coming back to console, developed by Monster Games and using help from an assets developed from iRacing, due Fall/Autumn 2022.

"The World of Outlaws will make its long-awaited return to PlayStation and Xbox in the fall of 2022 thanks to a partnership between the series, iRacing, and its studio Monster Games, the parties announced today. The game will be iRacing’s first official step into the world of console gaming after acquiring the Monster Games and Orontes Games studios in the winter of 2021 to expand its product offerings beyond its core PC simulation product."

I have fond memories of the PS2 World of Outlaws title, having picked up a copy a couple of years ago.

View attachment 1134570
Wonder if they still are using Unity for this game?

Last edited:
We finally got some gameplay footage.

Edit: The news article on their site pretty much confirms everyone's fears that it's pretty much a reworking of the existing Monster games.

I mean, I'll probably buy it when it goes on sale. I'm a bit disappointed that with the Tony Stewart and these games they removed the steering wheel view. I liked that little slice of immersion.

Personal take with regards of this given the Motorsport Games' financial situation being raised again: I honestly worry with this being console only, as it could set a precedent for if iRacing (as many in the NASCAR fan community wished) gets the rights to make annual NASCAR games via MGI.

Last edited:
Personal take with regards of this given the Motorsport Games' financial situation being raised again: I honestly worry with this being console only, as it could set a precedent for if iRacing (as many in the NASCAR fan community) gets the rights to make annual NASCAR games via MGI.
I'm hoping it's just a strategy move to boost their console player count and they're planning a PC release for a later date. If that's not the case it is indeed worrying because there's certainly enough of a difference between what this game and iRacing offer to justify it being on PC.

Having said that, my biggest concern at this point is the lack of info, it very much reminds me of the pre-release period of Ignition which turned out to be worse than anyone could have imagined.

They released a new trailer today as well as more info on the game itself and on the deluxe (typical game + season pass) and pre-order stuff. Still nothing too in-depth but I would be lying if I said this trailer wasn't better than the first one they released and the news post has some promising stuff in it. Can't say I'm ready to pull the trigger yet, but I'm closer than I was to the point I may dust off my XB1 and update it for the first time in years just in case.

Last edited:
As a huge fan of the original, owning pretty much every speedway game on console, growing up around speedway and other assorted dirt racing tracks/categories and enjoying the Tony Stewart title enough (except for the engine sounds) to want to 'get my dirt on' again... what the hell, pre-ordered.

Untitled.png

It looks fantastic but with the NASCAR update incoming and the release of Dakar Dessert Rally this sadly needs to wait a bit 😒 I simply don't have to time anymore to play all those titles even if I'd like to! Still are hoping that Monster Games will bring a super late model game.

Still frustrated that this isn't coming to PC, and the price they are asking for it is absurd.
You're not kidding. I just looked up what I payed for the Tony Stewart game and it was only $45 AUD while this one was $120 AUD for the Gold Edition and I think about $90 for the normal edition. :crazy:

Indeed! Too expensive 🤔
Good thing you've got some other games to fill in your time. Hopefully for you it will be cheaper when you get around to playing it.

I feel a bit dirty on my self for buying it at that price after seeing what I paid for the Tony Stewart game. :indiff:

Anyone has been playing this? Here impressions of today say a positive improvement over the last game in every aspect of the game 👍

Last edited:
I seemingly pre-ordered the deluxe version after one too many last week and while I could just get a refund I figured I would give it a try. I've only done a couple races, one with a 410 and the other with Street Stock and thus far I enjoy it (just using the default Normal settings currently, no clue what assists are on). I look forward to diving into career mode this weekend (Nitro RX + new racing game = great weekend!).

One of the biggest positives I can see already though is the lack of Tony Stewart.

This game could very well be the surprise of the year for me, even though I've just started playing it. I thought it'd be a pain in the arse to get used to the handling and work everything out but that wasn't the case. You can tell that this game was made for consoles, unlike ACC and Project Cars which were essentially ported from PC and aren't that easy to handle out of the box. It's a different style of racing but it isn't completely alien like I was expecting. I also like the career mode because you start at the bottom of the pile and have to make your way up with your own team. It's a lot like the original GRID and that's a massive plus for me. Being able to buy cars, parts and upgrades to make your way through the ranks is the kind of progression I want from a racing game. It's a lot of fun.

After the debacle that was ACC on console I sold my simracing gear and swore it off...took up golf. News of a new World of Outlaws release was enough to suck me back in. Between the original on PS2 and Nascar Heat 2002 on XBox I wore out multiple Pelican and MadCatz wheels. I'm on XBox One (OG) and G923.

The good: Looks great. Sounds amazing. Drives good enough. AI are decent and lots of options to tailor the single player experience. Fans of "racing your way through the ranks" career modes will have a blast with this one, Dirt to Daytona style. Dirt to .... Dirt? The dirt cars in SRX the Game have a weird steering delay/lag going on that I couldn't get used to, this is much improved in WoO.

The bad: Online MP is sorely lacking in features, something I had hoped the iRacing partnership would improve on from previous Monster titles. No way to set up a race weekend (Qualy, Heats, Main) and no lobby admin tools. Qualifying is set by fastest lap run in a previous race, no replay, no way to review lap times, no host kick or vote to kick. Very basic.

The ugly: Apparently iRacing's contribution is to remove content that SRX/Tony Stewart AAR fans have been begging for (dirt modifieds) from the base game and sell them as DLC. (SRX is worth the price of admission just for the Asphalt Late Models, which were free DLC.)

Last edited:
I'm about half way through my first season with a Street Stock and can happily say I'm enjoying career mode thus far, I do find the fictional company logos to be comically bad though.

The ugly: Apparently iRacing's contribution is to remove content that SRX/Tony Stewart AAR fans have been begging for (dirt modifieds) from the base game and sell them as DLC. (SRX is worth the price of admission just for the Asphalt Late Models, which were free DLC.)
Yeah the DLC model is rather annoying, really the only positive thing you can say about it is that it's better than what Monster did with the NASCAR games (just paint schemes). They seem to emphasize 2022 as well when talking about DLC included in the season pass so it makes me wonder if they will release more content next year and force everyone to buy it even if they have the season pass.

UMP Modifieds and I-55 Speedway are coming on the 28th.

I love modified racing so I will probably move to those instead of late models once I'm done with Street Stock.

Hej,
it is time to get the dust off this thread. I picked this up in sale out of curiosity, as I did with the official drag racing game.

This one is pretty straight forward and good fun. It is completely different to classic circuit racing or rally and worth a try for ignorant europeans like me.

Drag racing didn't work for me but I consider even buying the next NASCAR game... 👍 So, Europe first, but USA second! 😉

Back