New Yellow Flags??

• Thread starter Inzyman
  • 120 comments
looks like i'm not playing this anytime soon , realism is good but PD is forgetting you cannot apply every real life rules in a goddamn VIDEO GAME

looks like i'm not playing this anytime soon , realism is good but PD is forgetting you cannot apply every real life rules in a goddamn VIDEO GAME

Why?Is there a reason that we cannot have real race rules in a vitrual simulation (GTS is supposed to be a sim and not just a racing game)?

Also, I think it should DQ drivers for making excessive contact, I've noticed that there are people on Sport Mode who are racing with the intentions of deliberately damaging the Sportsmanship Rating of all of those around them and will even make this clear in pre-race chat as well as warm-up via ramming people before the race has even begun.

Generally, the ones who do this or cheat will make contact with another car more than 5-10 times.

You slap them with DQs and gradually filter all of those with high ratios of getting DQ'd into the same races (just think GTA V's dunce-hat lobbies), then eventually they'll get isolated from those who want to race fairly.

They should also bring back GT6's ghosting system which would ghost cars that were closing with another car or sharply moving towards it. GT Sports ghosting system doesn't appear to be as good as GT6's as it's possible for people to missile into the pack at T1 without being ghosted.
I’ve said this before about the since room. I highly agree and think it’s a great idea.
But things will happen just like in gta where you get caught in the Frey and end up in the dunce room along with them. Unintentionally if your doing.

I’ve said this before about the since room. I highly agree and think it’s a great idea.
But things will happen just like in gta where you get caught in the Frey and end up in the dunce room along with them. Unintentionally if your doing.

The weird thing is that the races I have in GTA Online are a lot cleaner than GT Sport.

Why?Is there a reason that we cannot have real race rules in a vitrual simulation (GTS is supposed to be a sim and not just a racing game)?
NP, but then i also want them to get Eduardo Freitas to uphold these rules and hand out the penalties. "car number 16 is now under investigation, I repeat, car number 16 is now..." that accent.... man, I love Feitas :lol:

Possibly that was a response to my post. Although I would hope that's just a bug; passing cars involved in an incident shouldn't be penalised.

Possibly that was a response to my post. Although I would hope that's just a bug; passing cars involved in an incident shouldn't be penalised.

I had a few yellow flags in the races I've done.I did not get a penalty for passing cars involed in those incidents so I dont know if there is a bug or a problem of how the rules are inforced.
But either way I still think that real life rules can and should be forced into e-sports racing among other things (like full/real damage,fuel consumption,tuning,tire wear and longer races).

Oh didn't you hear? Apparently this is supposed to be Car Of Duty: Modern Wheelfare.

No,I didn't get the memo on that.

Last edited:
I had a few yellow flags in the races I've not.I did not get a penalty for passing cars involed in those incidents so I dont know if there is a bug or a problem of how the rules are inforced.
But either way I still think that real life rules can and should be forced into e-sports racing among other things (like full/real damage,fuel consumption,tuning,tire wear and longer races).

Sure, real life rules adapted to suit the online world, where some things may need to be handled differently.

I've passed incidents where cars are off track, or still ghosted sideways, without penalty. It is possible that the second time I passed a (replaced on track) ghost it became solid just before my nose passed its nose, but I couldn't see that in the video. (Both times there were no other cars around that would cause a penalty).

I'm not sure on what the real-world rules are when there's a car on track moving very slowly compared to the pace, say, just rejoining after a spin, but I expect a fair bit of leeway is given for those cases before a penalty is even considered.

GTS has the added virtual twist of being placed back on track, stationary, as a ghost. Certainly passing such a ghost should never be penalised. I think there should either also be a time after that where no penalty applies, since the car is moving so slowly that it is still part of the incident rather than the train of other cars, or it should stay ghosted until it is up to speed.

Last edited:
Actually in real life they have to slow down under a yellow. Even just a quick lift to slow your sector time, but your sector time must be slower than your average in that sector.
Just saying.

It all depends on what kind of racing we are talking.F1 yellow flags and not the same with Nascar yellow flags.
But as a general FIA rule for a "local yellow flag" -like those in GTS- you
a.cannot overtake
b.need to slow down and be prepared to stop your car
In Nascar races a yellow flag means that a SC is coming in,so slowing down is something you cannot avoid either way (plus if you gain positions you give them back under the yellow/SC period or get a penalty).

It all depends on what kind of racing we are talking.F1 yellow flags and not the same with Nascar yellow flags.
a.cannot overtake
In Nascar races a yellow flag means that a SC is coming in,so slowing down is something you cannot avoid either way (plus if you gain positions you give them back under the yellow/SC period or get a penalty).

Being from the UK I have never seen a nascar race in my nelly. F1, btcc, wrc and moto gp are my poisons.

Being from the UK I have never seen a nascar race in my nelly. F1, btcc, wrc and moto gp are my poisons.

I am in EU too mate but I enjoy almost everything when it comes to racing:from kart to touring.The only thing I find really boring at this point is F1:you know who is going to win the championship after one race because of how FIA made F1 work.
In every other championship,if a team/driver(s) is "unbeatable" its always as a combo of great teamwork and great driving.F1 is all about the overall best -faster- car.Most of F1 drivers have the pace to win a race or even a championship.But only two of them are in a car that can win the championship.

In every other championship,if a team/driver(s) is "unbeatable" its always as a combo of great teamwork and great driving.F1 is all about the overall best -faster- car.Most of F1 drivers have the pace to win a race or even a championship.But only two of them are in a car that can win the championship.

Well you could argue that they only have the best car because of great teamwork.

And I do love all types of motorsport, just no way of watching most of it. If I find it on TV I'll watch it. But I'm not staying up till stupid o'clock in the morning, not even for F1 lol

a.cannot overtake

FiA single yellow does not require being prepared to stop. From http://www.flagmarshal.com/fia-rules/ ...

b) Yellow flag: This is a signal of danger and should be shown to drivers in two ways with the following meanings: – Single waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake and be prepared to change direction. There is a hazard beside or partly on the track. – Double waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake and be prepared to change direction or stop. There is a hazard wholly or partly blocking the track. Yellow flags should normally be shown only at the marshals’ post immediately preceding the hazard. In some cases however the Clerk of the Course may order them to be shown at more than one marshals’ post preceding an incident. Overtaking is not permitted between the first yellow flag and the green flag displayed after the incident. Yellow flags should not be shown in the pit lane unless there is an incident of which the driver should be made aware.

Also (possibly more up-to-date?) from http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17682878/fia-announces-stricter-yellow-flag-rules ...

"Single waved : Drivers should reduce their speed and be prepared to change direction. It must be clear that a driver has reduced speed and, in order for this to be clear, a driver would be expected to have braked earlier and/or discernibly reduced speed in the relevant marshalling sector. Drivers should not overtake any car in a single waved yellow marshalling sector unless it is clear that a car is slowing with a completely obvious problem, e.g. obvious accident damage or a deflated tyre"

Obviously, no mention of ghosted cars materialising in front of you!

Haven't found yet what the rule is regarding cars involved in an incident getting under way again, but did find this, where presumably Rosberg passed Alonso but didn't get a penalty:

"Nico Rosberg took pole position for the Hungarian Grand Prix despite passing through a double yellow zone on his best lap, albeit just as spinner Fernando Alonso had got underway again. Hamilton had passed the scene moments earlier, when Alonso's car was still stationary, and had to abort his lap."

What I'm guessing is that they are still counted as the incident while they are clearly traveling slowly.

In the real world, cars that go off track aren't magically plonked back on track, ready to give you a penalty for passing them - even when still ghosted. :banghead:

This is what happened to me. So frustrating.
Love to hear thoughts on this incident.

Well you could argue that they only have the best car because of great teamwork.

And I do love all types of motorsport, just no way of watching most of it. If I find it on TV I'll watch it. But I'm not staying up till stupid o'clock in the morning, not even for F1 lol

When I say team work,I dont mean the work required to create the best prototype car (F1 is a "prototype" after all) but team work during the championship calander.
FiA single yellow does not require being prepared to stop. From http://www.flagmarshal.com/fia-rules/ ...

b) Yellow flag: This is a signal of danger and should be shown to drivers in two ways with the following meanings: – Single waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake and be prepared to change direction. There is a hazard beside or partly on the track. – Double waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake and be prepared to change direction or stop. There is a hazard wholly or partly blocking the track. Yellow flags should normally be shown only at the marshals’ post immediately preceding the hazard. In some cases however the Clerk of the Course may order them to be shown at more than one marshals’ post preceding an incident. Overtaking is not permitted between the first yellow flag and the green flag displayed after the incident. Yellow flags should not be shown in the pit lane unless there is an incident of which the driver should be made aware.

Also (possibly more up-to-date?) from http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17682878/fia-announces-stricter-yellow-flag-rules ...

"Single waved : Drivers should reduce their speed and be prepared to change direction. It must be clear that a driver has reduced speed and, in order for this to be clear, a driver would be expected to have braked earlier and/or discernibly reduced speed in the relevant marshalling sector. Drivers should not overtake any car in a single waved yellow marshalling sector unless it is clear that a car is slowing with a completely obvious problem, e.g. obvious accident damage or a deflated tyre"

Obviously, no mention of ghosted cars materialising in front of you!

Haven't found yet what the rule is regarding cars involved in an incident getting under way again, but did find this, where presumably Rosberg passed Alonso but didn't get a penalty:

"Nico Rosberg took pole position for the Hungarian Grand Prix despite passing through a double yellow zone on his best lap, albeit just as spinner Fernando Alonso had got underway again. Hamilton had passed the scene moments earlier, when Alonso's car was still stationary, and had to abort his lap."

What I'm guessing is that they are still counted as the incident while they are clearly traveling slowly.

Prepared to stop in order to avoid whatever is on track when you cannot avoid it in any other way.This was what I meant.
If they want cars to stop then they put red flags not yellow ones.

@Baroket
The only logical explanation is that you got a penalty because you did not slow down (as you should do under yellow flag) and not because you passed that car.
If you got a penalty for passing that car then the system was wrong.

Last edited:
Prepared to stop in order to avoid whatever is on track when you cannot avoid it in any other way.This was what I meant.
If they want cars to stop then they put red flags not yellow ones.

Well that isn't what the real world rules say :) Double yellow means the incident is large enough, on track, that you should be prepared to stop. Single yellow is used when it's expected that any competent driver could navigate around without issue.

But since I don't think GTS implements double yellows, I've no idea what its rules are.

Its not wrong if you dont slow down as required under a yellow flag (in FIA races).

Seriously? You think we should be prepared to stop because a car might be magically placed back on track? :rolleyes:

edit: OK, have read your edit to previous post :cheers:

I wouldn't know if GTS actually checks pace, or if it does, how much slowing it expects. I do know that in both my cases I did slow at least a little, as an automatic reaction to a car appearing back in front of me!

In the real world, cars that go off track aren't magically plonked back on track, ready to give you a penalty for passing them - even when still ghosted. :banghead:

Twice in one race it got me like that. The first one went solid maybe a tenth before I passed, but the second one was still ghost (at least when the last glimpse of front bumper was visible to me). Both were barely moving, and they were the incident. That's not right, not right at all :(

Yeah, that happened me last night. Unfortunately I didn't save the replay, but I was in second place a couple of seconds behind the leading car and he went off. His car ghosted while off track and just as I was passing his ghosted car suddenly appeared in the middle of the track and I got a 5 second penalty for unavoidably passing through it. There were no other cars ahead of us or near us so it was a very unfair penalty.

I like the the idea of what they're trying to do but the implementation is poor at the moment.

Well that isn't what the real world rules say :) Double yellow means the incident is large enough, on track, that you should be prepared to stop. Single yellow is used when it's expected that any competent driver could navigate around without issue.

But since I don't think GTS implements double yellows, I've no idea what its rules are.

Seriously? You think we should be prepared to stop because a car might be magically placed back on track? :rolleyes:

Ok lets make it clean:
Under Yellow flag (local section) you need to slow down and not overtake cars that are not involved in an accident.
That means you cannot pass the guy in front of you who is slowing down because of the yellow flag.Is it more clear?
In that video @Baroket did not slow down so he got a penalty.If the exact same thing happend to you,the penalty is legit:its for not slowing down and not because of overtaking the car that caused the yellow flag.If you actually did slow down and still got a penalty for overtaking a "ghosted" car then the system got it wrong.

@turnupdaheat Did you slow down or did you kept your full pace?

This is what happened to me. So frustrating.
Love to hear thoughts on this incident.

Maybe just unlucky... I had a similar situation twice last night and got no penalty on either occasion.

Ok lets make it clean:
Under Yellow flag (local section) you need to slow down and not overtake cars that are not involved in an accident.
That means you cannot pass the guy in front of you who is slowing down because of the yellow flag.Is it more clear?
In that video @Baroket did not slow down so he got a penalty.If the exact same thing happend to you,the penalty is legit:its for not slowing down and not because of overtaking the car that caused the yellow flag.If you actually did slow down and still got a penalty for overtaking a "ghosted" car then the system got it wrong.

Sorry, I wasn't quick enough with my edit :)

"I wouldn't know if GTS actually checks pace, or if it does, how much slowing it expects. I do know that in both my cases I did slow at least a little, as an automatic reaction to a car appearing back in front of me!"

I was just given a 10 second penalty for passing a vehicle in the daily that had crashed a couple of seconds in front of me. So, do I stop and wait till he is going again before I can pass?? WTF. He crashed and left the track why should I get a penalty. As I generally start in the second half of the grid for most races, two thirds of my place improvements are a result of crashes in front of me. So how does this new flag system actually work???
No you make a whole new post on this forum to get your position back.
It works, try it.

Sorry, I wasn't quick enough with my edit :)

"I wouldn't know if GTS actually checks pace, or if it does, how much slowing it expects. I do know that in both my cases I did slow at least a little, as an automatic reaction to a car appearing back in front of me!"

Now this is a worthy discussion:how much do we need to slow down in order to be "legit"?
I dont have an answer for that question.I only know that up until now,in the races I did with yellow flags,I did enough to not get a penalty.

Well this is the first few days this new system is out, there was bound to be bugs. I think the good intentions are all there, just needs some tweaking, as with any new rules applied to a video game.

I would love to see when there is an accident, it leaves possible debris on track and if you don't slow down and avoid it, your car receives damage (tire damage, lost front aero, suspension damage, etc.) just a fun thought. Maybe this already happens when full damage is on, I just haven't experienced it yet? idk.

@turnupdaheat Did you slow down or did you kept your full pace?

He went off at Surtees corner at Brands Hatch so I had slowed on approach anyway. His car suddenly appeared smack in front of me as I was accelerating out so, technically, I wasn't slowing as I passed his car. That could have led to the penalty but it doesn't make it right. The car that went off shouldn't have ghosted in the first place and he should have rejoined the track in a normal fashion. We were both A/S rated drivers.

Now this is a worthy discussion:how much do we need to slow down in order to be "legit"?
I dont have an answer for that question.I only know that up until now,in the races I did with yellow flags,I did enough to not get a penalty.

On the flip side, I'm pretty sure I've blasted past some yellows without slowing and didn't get a penalty. Will have to keep an eye on it, but right now I'm thinking it's more likely that the penalty is for passing.

Back