Next-Generation 2024 Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W214)

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
The next-generation E-Class midsize sedan has been spied with most of its camo off, readying a 2024 launch. Inline-6 power will stay for most models, though it his highly likely that the range-topping E63 S AMG will feature the new 671hp turbocharged four-cylinder.

1674075914111.png

1674075923288.png

1674075930720.png

Upcoming E 63 AMG likely to drop V8 for an inline six. "According to Autocar, AMG is targeting over 700 hp and 884 lb-ft of torque from a modified inline-six and a hybrid system for its M5 rival. No car in that class has run a straight six since the mid-Nineties".

Although the exterior still hasn't been revealed yet, the interior of the new E-Class has, and it's pretty ghastly. Almost no physical controls.

mercedesbenz screens

2024 mercedes benz e class interior

Windows Media Player 11. What an embarrassment to graphic design across the globe. I struggle to believe that Mercedes designers could possibly be so tasteless. The 2000s called, they admit that everything was designed badly and they wish to remain dead for eternity.

Last edited:
I feel like we're in a weird 3-5-year lag where the car interiors coming out now are what the design teams of various car companies sketched up in concept form 5 years ago, and the marketing & accounting teams mandated for production like 3 years ago, and the engineering teams kinda made work but nobody actually likes these interfaces now that they are releasing...but there is too much inertia and investment to stop them in the short term. So we'll probably get 5 more years of total trash interiors from Mercedes (and others) with obviously rectangular displays stuffed into an organically shaped simulacra of a "screen", bad UIs, redundant and/or unnecessary displays and information, terrible & distracting controls, etc until somebody re-establishes high quality physical controls and actual dashboard design as some kind of USP (probably the Koreans at this rate, they kind of are already doing it). At some point people will realize that replacing the entire dashboard of a car with a singular flat plane of glass masquerading as a display and deleting all other controls isn't high end - it's cheap - it's obvious cost cutting.

The “superscreen” won’t be offered on lower trim E-Class models, and in the interior will instead look like this. It’s like Mercedes is deliberately trying to make it as ugly as possible.

7A2AA41A-51BD-4479-9326-D37401DDB799.jpeg

Upcoming E 63 AMG likely to drop V8 for an inline six. "According to Autocar, AMG is targeting over 700 hp and 884 lb-ft of torque from a modified inline-six and a hybrid system for its M5 rival. No car in that class has run a straight six since the mid-Nineties".

Didn't they just put a turbo 4 in the latest one ?

I feel like we're in a weird 3-5-year lag where the car interiors coming out now are what the design teams of various car companies sketched up in concept form 5 years ago, and the marketing & accounting teams mandated for production like 3 years ago, and the engineering teams kinda made work but nobody actually likes these interfaces now that they are releasing...but there is too much inertia and investment to stop them in the short term. So we'll probably get 5 more years of total trash interiors from Mercedes (and others) with obviously rectangular displays stuffed into an organically shaped simulacra of a "screen", bad UIs, redundant and/or unnecessary displays and information, terrible & distracting controls, etc until somebody re-establishes high quality physical controls and actual dashboard design as some kind of USP (probably the Koreans at this rate, they kind of are already doing it). At some point people will realize that replacing the entire dashboard of a car with a singular flat plane of glass masquerading as a display and deleting all other controls isn't high end - it's cheap - it's obvious cost cutting.
I don't know. Maybe their processes are horrid but I think it's more to do with a genuinely bad design philosophy and direction. Car interiors take a long time to develop and while I suppose Tesla could crank out the Model 3's interior from design to implementation in six months or whatever, surely Rivian and Lucid have more realistic design and production timelines especially considering they did not have massive established studios like Mercedes. And yet the products they offer are industry-leading. It's not really about the physical controls at all because Mercedes is attempting to create the same thing as Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid...they're just bad at it. Embarrassingly so.

If @GranTurNismo's recent post is real - honestly I'm not sure, that dashboard looks photoshopped by a child - then it's further evidence that Mercedes is just completely lost and has no idea what they're doing. Even Honda got it right with the E, that tiny car's interior is beautiful with excellent usability, materials, classic design, effective buttons and ergonomics, etc, and it's not a blatant copy of Tesla like the Mach E and others.

Driven-Honda-e-7.jpg

I really do believe that Mercedes is just lost.

Edit: Speaking of Honda, apparently their 2024 EV CUV concept for Europe also has a Mach E style center screen which is not nearly as attractive as the E.

Edit 2: Also why the hell is Mercedes lighting up the interiors in crazy colors like it's a damn Holiday Inn? Everybody with taste knows not to stay in a hotel that relies on colored lights to get attention.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe their processes are horrid but I think it's more to do with a genuinely bad design philosophy and direction. Car interiors take a long time to develop and while I suppose Tesla could crank out the Model 3's interior from design to implementation in six months or whatever, surely Rivian and Lucid have more realistic design and production timelines especially considering they did not have massive established studios like Mercedes. And yet the products they offer are industry-leading. It's not really about the physical controls at all because Mercedes is attempting to create the same thing as Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid...they're just bad at it. Embarrassingly so.

If @GranTurNismo's recent post is real - honestly I'm not sure, that dashboard looks photoshopped by a child - then it's further evidence that Mercedes is just completely lost and has no idea what they're doing. Even Honda got it right with the E, that tiny car's interior is beautiful with excellent usability, materials, classic design, effective buttons and ergonomics, etc, and it's not a blatant copy of Tesla like the Mach E and others.

Driven-Honda-e-7.jpg

I really do believe that Mercedes is just lost.

Edit: Speaking of Honda, apparently their 2024 EV CUV concept for Europe also has a Mach E style center screen which is not nearly as attractive as the E.

Edit 2: Also why the hell is Mercedes lighting up the interiors in crazy colors like it's a damn Holiday Inn? Everybody with taste knows not to stay in a hotel that relies on colored lights to get attention.
Here's the difference: The Honda has a really nicely designed dashboard (I mean look at the precision of the edge of the wood! It's like the best of their 80s and 90s stuff)...with a series of screens on top of it, it's not pretending to be something else. The Mercedes is trying to present the dashboard itself as one giant screen but production realities prevent that from being achievable. So you end up with something pretending to be what it's not - not a good place to be, up there with fake stitches pressed into vinyl dashboards. Honda designed the E with production realities acknowledged and accounted for, Mercedes either blatantly ignored them or ended up with a budget much tighter than expected.

E Class All Terrain

Coming to the US

1694021982172.png

1694021969901.png

1694021941156.png

The wagon's cargo area holds 21.7 cubic feet of storage space, which can expand to 64.6 cubic feet with the rear seats down. In comparison, the E-Class sedan's trunk holds 19 cubic feet. The All-Terrain comes standard with a power tailgate and a retractable luggage cover.

The table below compares the All-Terrain's exterior dimensions to the sedan:

E-Class All-Terrain WagonE-Class SedanDifference
Length195 in.194.8 in.0.2 in.
Width75 in.74 in.1 in.
Height58.9 in.58.3 in.0.6 in.

The All-Terrain comes as the mild-hybrid E 450 4Matic with a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six engine making 375 horsepower from 5,800 to 6,100 rpm and 369 pound-feet of torque. The electric Boost system provides 23 hp and 151 lb-ft. The wagon can reach 60 miles per hour in an estimated 4.6 seconds and has an electronically limited top speed of 130 mph.

The E-Class All-Terrain comes standard with Mercedes' Airmatic single-chamber air suspension that has continuously adjustable damping. The system maintains a constant ground clearance regardless of the load in the vehicle. The Comfort setting features a 0.6-inch drop at speeds above 75 mph.

E Class All Terrain

Coming to the US

View attachment 1285618

View attachment 1285617

View attachment 1285614
That interior is god awful. Pin stripes, really? Always gaudy, never classy. Why is there a massive lifeless slab of granite in front of the passenger? The mix of colors and textures doesn't make any sense either. This is among the worst Merc interiors in the past 20+ years.

Also, their concept of "all terrain" is hilarious to me. Driving Sports has tested the previous generation of this car on light off-road courses and found out that Merc's traction control programming is actually really good - we already knew that from the G-wagon - but this car has a useless lack of clearance which makes anything more than a smooth gravel road a huge damage risk. The wheel and tire packages are pointless as well for dealing with any sort of rough terrain.

2025 Mercedes-Benz E 53 AMG unveiled, the first AMG offering for the new E-Class thus far. It will be powered by a hybrid 3 liter, turbocharged six cylinder making 603hp, 177hp from the electric motor. Not only will it be the more affordable alternative to the upcoming E 63 AMG, but possibly the better buy, as the E 53 still uses an inline-six while the E 63 is rumored to get the poorly-received turbo 4-cylinder used in the C 63, and the two cars would have pretty similar power numbers.

Mercedes-AMG E53

Mercedes-AMG E53

Mercedes-AMG E53

Mercedes-AMG E53

Mercedes-AMG E53

Back