Next Need for Speed Title Pushed Back to 2022 Release

kjb
That is good they should base it on Vegas in the upcoming NFS IMO. Or maybe a European city
Vegas was done in Payback, and from what I hear, it seemed like a waste of the setting. For example, I would've done something with the fact that there used to be a vintage auto museum at the Imperial Palace, or how SEMA is usually there. I, for one, would really like to see a Vegas-based map again, provided that it takes much more inspiration from Vegas and its history, like the two elements that I just mentioned.

A European city could happen, but I feel that Forza Horizon did that too recently, what with FH4 being in the UK. Same thing with Australia and Mexico.
Unfortunately, I don't see that being too popular. I could, however, see Chicago or NYC being the basis for the next map or two. If they have a map in California again, my bet would be on San Francisco/Sonoma over LA again.

At any rate, with 2022 being about a week away, I'm sure we'll get new info on the next NFS sooner than later. I just hope it finally breaks the mediocre streak we've had for literally the last decade, as MW2012 was the last NFS game to get above an 80 on MetaCritic.

If I were at EA/Criterion, I'd focus on the police chase mechanics, as that seems to always have been what makes NFS stand out compared to other racing game IPs. Especially now that GT7 is said to have six hundred aero parts you can install on various models, and over a hundred wheels. (My point being, is that customization is no longer a major draw for NFS anymore - not when Forza and GT are offering more customization options as well.)

I'd especially focus on taking inspiration from how pursuits worked in the most popular NFS titles, like MW2005. I wouldn't just copy and paste it, but I'd use it as a base for a natural evolution of those mechanics. Like how customization could somehow work with the pursuit mechanics - perhaps a more flamboyant car could make pursuits easier to trigger and escalate, and/or draw police away from other players.

One thing I thought was very underrated as a concept was the territory control mechanic from Carbon. I love the idea of bringing it back, but as an ever-active online mode that offers emergent gameplay, not unlike a game like Planetside. You could join one of three teams, then join a sub-team that has a certain motif, like how in Carbon, there were tuners, and then there was Rotor4, which used rotary-engined cars.

Last edited:
Vegas was done in Payback, and from what I hear, it seemed like a waste of the setting. For example, I would've done something with the fact that there used to be a vintage auto museum at the Imperial Palace, or how SEMA is usually there. I, for one, would really like to see a Vegas-based map again, provided that it takes much more inspiration from Vegas and its history, like the two elements that I just mentioned.

A European city could happen, but I feel that Forza Horizon did that too recently, what with FH4 being in the UK. Same thing with Australia and Mexico.

Unfortunately, I don't see that being too popular. I could, however, see Chicago or NYC being the basis for the next map or two. If they have a map in California again, my bet would be on San Francisco/Sonoma over LA again.

At any rate, with 2022 being about a week away, I'm sure we'll get new info on the next NFS sooner than later. I just hope it finally breaks the mediocre streak we've had for literally the last decade, as MW2012 was the last NFS game to get above an 80 on MetaCritic.

If I were at EA/Criterion, I'd focus on the police chase mechanics, as that seems to always have been what makes NFS stand out compared to other racing game IPs. Especially now that GT7 is said to have six hundred aero parts you can install on various models, and over a hundred wheels. (My point being, is that customization is no longer a major draw for NFS anymore - not when Forza and GT are offering more customization options as well.)

I'd especially focus on taking inspiration from how pursuits worked in the most popular NFS titles, like MW2005. I wouldn't just copy and paste it, but I'd use it as a base for a natural evolution of those mechanics. Like how customization could somehow work with the pursuit mechanics - perhaps a more flamboyant car could make pursuits easier to trigger and escalate, and/or draw police away from other players.

One thing I thought was very underrated as a concept was the territory control mechanic from Carbon. I love the idea of bringing it back, but as an ever-active online mode that offers emergent gameplay, not unlike a game like Planetside. You could join one of three teams, then join a sub-team that has a certain motif, like how in Carbon, there were tuners, and then there was Rotor4, which used rotary-engined cars.
Come on bro, you don't wanna race against some eskimos?

Whatever they decide to do I hope they don't have a progresssion system like Heat. You made money during day but increased rep at night. I think the police chase stuff is kind of cool as well. I just want them to support it longer than they did with Heat

kjb
That is good they should base it on Vegas in the upcoming NFS IMO. Or maybe a European city
Vegas was in Payback.

I would love to see California state like in NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 with added City somwhere. So we would get nice city with loads of highways around it.

I never played Payback. The last Need for Speed I played before Heat was Underground I. So I didn't realize they were in Vegas before. Maybe they can creat a fictional city that incorporates parts of different cities to make it truly unique. Or that may be too much to ask.

Vegas was in Payback.

I would love to see California state like in NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 with added City somwhere. So we would get nice city with loads of highways around it.
I think a good compromise would be the San Francisco/Sonoma area, since we've already had Los Angeles in NFS 2015.
kjb
I never played Payback. The last Need for Speed I played before Heat was Underground I. So I didn't realize they were in Vegas before. Maybe they can creat a fictional city that incorporates parts of different cities to make it truly unique. Or that may be too much to ask.
I think that's what they usually do - use a real-world city as a basis for a fictional one. That's seemingly what they did with Payback and Heat, at least.

There has been a few rumours recently floating about with a Q4 2022 release (Nov?) and that it will be next gen only so they will be dropping the PS4/Xbox One versions and only using the PS5/X.

I hope it releases this year that would be great and look forward to what they have been working on.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...d-is-current-gen-only-leaving-ps4-in-the-dust
Honestly. Even though I'm not big on NFS anymore, I hope it's next-gen only also. So that's two racing titles that are next-gen only this year (Forza Motorsport Rebooted and this upcoming NFS). :)

Honestly. Even though I'm not big on NFS anymore, I hope it's next-gen only also. So that's two racing titles that are next-gen only this year (Forza Motorsport Rebooted and this upcoming NFS). :)
Me too, I think they need to start pushing at least one or two games now to this gen only for those that have invested in the PS5/X etc and to show what it is capable of for those who have a PS4 to make the upgrade. I do see more and more saying they are getting hold of the PS5/X these last few months but I also understand there are millions of lost sales leaving the old gen behind. There has to be a compromise soon one way or the other.

Last edited:
I hope they make it current gen only as well. I would love to see power of the 5/X utilized for a great racing game

Next gen only has been confirmed. Means nothing until we see it to be honest, the past few titles have been lacking for me. NFS 2015 was the best of the recent games and I don't think we'll be seeing that type of NFS from criterion unless they do a fan service and revive Underground. Rain soaked, dusk till dawn open world street racing with ray traced reflections and shadows would be wonderful.

Next gen only has been confirmed. Means nothing until we see it to be honest, the past few titles have been lacking for me. NFS 2015 was the best of the recent games and I don't think we'll be seeing that type of NFS from criterion unless they do a fan service and revive Underground. Rain soaked, dusk till dawn open world street racing with ray traced reflections and shadows would be wonderful.
I agree, 2015 stands out as the best of the three recent ones for me too and I even got used to the handling eventually. The car audio sounds were really good too. I am intrigued to see how they move this series forward with Criterion taking the lead. I would like a mix of Underground and the new series with a bit of open world thrown in (and good police chases) like hot pursuit.:sly:

I agree, 2015 stands out as the best of the three recent ones for me too and I even got used to the handling eventually. The car audio sounds were really good too. I am intrigued to see how they move this series forward with Criterion taking the lead. I would like a mix of Underground and the new series with a bit of open world thrown in (and good police chases) like hot pursuit.:sly:

Underground 2 x Carbon x Most wanted?

The new Need for Speed’s aesthetic will reportedly have ‘anime elements’

More leaks have emerged from Jeff Grubb, this time appearing more credible since it seems to hint at what we saw when the pre-alpha footage emerged: A new art style featuring cartoony elements:

“It’s going to be photo-realistic, but it’s going to have on top of that, anime elements,” Grubb

He added: “You know when you see a car commercial or something like that and the car’s driving around, but then cartoons flames and stuff are flying off it? That’s the kind of the aesthetic that they seem to be going for.”.
What's more, he has also confirmed Autolog and car customisation will be returning and it'll be set in Lake Shore City, a fictionalised version of Chicago.

Last edited:
Supposed leaked screenshots of NFS 2022 from the NFS subreddit.

1650672071057.png

1650672088073.png

1650672105977.png

I hope that map is true, looks huge!

Also, why is there 2 currency at the top right corner of the screenshot. I hope microtransactions are not coming back.

As much as I want those leaks to be true, everything is pointing to fake, imo.

1. Licensed cars with that damage model nowadays? I want it now, but is it even possible? I know is possible for race cars. Could EA make a deal with road cars?

2. That map looks to good honestly. Every road is good for racing and drifting. Roads mostly end in a Y junction. Lots of bridges. Huge city portion. If this turn to be true... But what is going on with the highway around Chicago. Something is not right in Z25 and Z31.

3. Gameplay leak. I just don't believe it. But who knows.

As for the MTX. That is the most believable thing. And honesty I don't mind it. The economy was never an issue in any game. Actually I would welcome some more grinding. But off course it's a bad thing for players because in the future there will be more and more of it. The Crew have them. GT also. TDU? Most likely. Forza VIP, car pass....

As much as I want those leaks to be true, everything is pointing to fake, imo.

1. Licensed cars with that damage model nowadays? I want it now, but is it even possible? I know is possible for race cars. Could EA make a deal with road cars?
The damage on the Evo 9 doesn't look that different to what is achieveable in NFS Heat:
WuEzcd5.jpg

Looks to be similar damage to NFS Heat too, front door and trunk is slightly open and a crooked spoiler.

Looks to be similar damage to NFS Heat too, front door and trunk is slightly open and a crooked spoiler.
You are right. I totally forgot about the damage model in Heat... And not only Heat. :dunce:

Anyway I really like these leaks. The city looks awesome and the map is interesting. Just not convinced enough they are real.

I hope that map is true, looks huge!

Also, why is there 2 currency at the top right corner of the screenshot. I hope microtransactions are not coming back.
It's EA. Microtransactions never left.

The map looks good, looks like plenty of interesting roads and routes, something Forza Horizon stubbornly refuses to do is add some good switchback and drivers roads. Looks like there's a few going on here.

That said, it's a very by the numbers NFS map, so hopefully size will give it something more than previous ones have had.

NFS22Map-1536x1455.jpg

It's EA. Microtransactions never left.
NFS Heat didn't have it, not the dual currency way at least. Won't mind them doing paid DLC content like the Mclaren F1 in Heat though.

I think only recent NFS with double currency and microtransaction is Payback, buyable speed points for loot box.

If this leak proves to be true that's exciting. But I think I will get it after it has been out for while because I am off of pre-order train

NFS Heat didn't have it, not the dual currency way at least. Won't mind them doing paid DLC content like the Mclaren F1 in Heat though.

I think only recent NFS with double currency and microtransaction is Payback, buyable speed points for loot box.
I get Heat and Payback mixed up so much 🤦.

Seems like a similar implementation to The Crew 2 with the dual currency.

early preview on the cartoony effects I guess, I do wonder how the complete thing will look like. I remember seeing someone mention the clips and recent screenshot leaks are from May last year build.

*Edit
I kinda want this NFS to just quickly release and let them start the next one as soon as possible, more interested to see what the current Criterion + Codemasters Chesire could make.

The development for this NFS is probably a mess, this is likely something Ghost started after Heat complete then moved to Criterion Games and development slowed down to help BF2024 last year then with Codemasters Chesire came in much later as support.

Last edited:
early preview on the cartoony effects I guess, I do wonder how the complete thing will look like. I remember seeing someone mention the clips and recent screenshot leaks are from May last year build.

*Edit
I kinda want this NFS to just quickly release and let them start the next one as soon as possible, more interested to see what the current Criterion + Codemasters Chesire could make.

The development for this NFS is probably a mess, this is likely something Ghost started after Heat complete then moved to Criterion Games and development slowed down to help BF2024 last year then with Codemasters Chesire came in much later as support.
Yeah definately the most interesting NFS will be those developed by Codemasters.

Back